The Dark Side Cave

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

red8
1. Why do people get visions when they enter the Dark Side cave on Dagabah? These aren't just minor visions of the future, but rather seemingly powerful hallucinations.

2. If a character sees visions when they go into the Dark Side cave, would they also get similar visions on planets such as Korriban or Malachor or other dark side nexuses? It would kind of suck to just walk around Korriban and have Darth Vader pop up every few feet.

3. Are these visions comparable to Sith Sorcery Illusions? If so, does that imply that characters such as Luke and Marek were susceptible to Sith Sorcery? IE: Would Darth Zannah be able to mind rape them?

Stealth Moose
I'm not sure that the cave implies weakness on behalf of individuals as even Yoda had a visiion in the cave, albeit not a true one.

The EU story behind it is that a powerful Bpfasshi Dark Jedi was slain and his essence tainted the cave and some of the surrounding swamp. Apparently, his evil was so great Yoda could hide in close proximity, so it makes me wonder just what this guy did or was capable of doing. The only thing I can confirm is this Wookiepedia link here describing the guy. One thing of note is he "Apparently changing his form into hundreds of smaller incarnations of himself, the Dark Jedi enveloped Minch, who desperately lashed out with his lightsaber."

Very odd indeed. His darkness was so powerful that it not only masked Yoda but it was absorbed by the Sceptre of Ragnos only to later basically regenerate afterwards.

Q99
I'd think you could get visions from any place strong in the force. Since that cave happens to be dark side, the visions are going to be about your fears, doubts, and so on.

Stealth Moose
Revan gets visions outside of the Star Map locations. And the Exile had one in Sadow's tomb.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Wait, when was the Exile in Sadow's tomb?

Stealth Moose
My mistake, Tomb of Ludo Kressh. She has a vision of Malak and is tried basically several times.

red8
From what I remember, weren't all of Revan's visions of the past?
The Exile did have a crapload of visions though. She had to fight Malak, Revan, and she had to solo her whole party.

What I'm asking about is do the characters allow these visions to occur or are the visions involuntary?
What if a character is doing something dangerous, like fighting an opponent and all of the sudden they get a vision of their ex-girlfriend trying to kill them?
Now they have to swing their lightsaber at their imaginary ex-girlfriend and fend off whoever they're actually dueling.

I know Yoda supposedly had a vision while fighting Sidious. That just seems like a very dangerous time to have to deal with a vision.

Stealth Moose
I think the overall idea was that these prophetic visions, or visions of the past were linked to the Force allowing them to be seen. This might explain why the Jedi, who could not reliably control them, always were cryptic and cautious about the future. Some visions do not come to pass either, like Anakin's visions of Padme dying (the method, if not the event itself), even though it was recurring. In the latter case, the vision became self-fulfilling in a sense.

The Voss have greater control over precognition and prophecy, but I don't recall the details since it's been 2 years since I did the SI storyline there. However, both Jedi and Sith eagerly seek their power and IIRC, Vitiate acquired a Voss body to test.

Allankles
Yo! that Jedi died fighting Yoda, can't remember the novel that describes the fight (Thrawn pentology probably, somewhere). He was so powerful in the dark side his death caused a permanent psychic bleed in Dagobah, which was already dark side heavy to begin with.

The fight of course happened in the dark times era. He died from the feedback iirc.

Stealth Moose
That was retconned, iirc. Yoda's landing on Dagobah during RotS is his first visit to the area.

Allankles
Actually, that event happened after ROTS, as I said it was in the dark times era.

Stealth Moose
I posted a link to something similar, but Yoda was not involved. Click on it above.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
The Voss have greater control over precognition and prophecy

It seemed to me that the Voss Mystics were 'never wrong' because the Voss blindly followed their visions. In the Jedi Knight quests you get the chance to say '**** yo visions' and intentionally do the opposite of it (if you're darkside).

Stealth Moose
I actually didn't like the Voss at all. But that's okay, because I captured one like a Pokemon and bent it to my will.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.