Would you be interested in a KOTOR novel?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Stark
I know I always wished characters like Malak, Vandar, Vrook, and even Revan would get more screentime (and feats for the battledome). What do you guys think, do you wish KOTOR I and II could be novelized (and maybe somethings being added in).

psmith81992
I would be interested in an ancient sith novel pre GSW, as would a lot of people.

Stealth Moose
KotOR novelization would be nice, but it would end up being condensed and likely sloppy in an attempt to milk the cash-cow. Baldur's Gate had novelizations that maimed the storyline and were below sub-par. Ironically, the best novel of the trio and only one worth reading was done by Drew K.

Novelization of TOTJ and GAOTS would be nice, as well as some Adas coverage.

Tzeentch
No.

Stealth Moose
Pop-up book more your style, bro?

Nephthys
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
KotOR novelization would be nice, but it would end up being condensed and likely sloppy in an attempt to milk the cash-cow.

This. I think its a bad idea because it almost certainly wouldn't be nearly as good as the game. And that would piss people off, see: Revan. Only a really stellar writer could pull it off.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
KotOR novelization would be nice, but it would end up being condensed and likely sloppy in an attempt to milk the cash-cow. Baldur's Gate had novelizations that maimed the storyline and were below sub-par. Ironically, the best novel of the trio and only one worth reading was done by Drew K.

Novelization of TOTJ and GAOTS would be nice, as well as some Adas coverage.

I dunno, it doesn't have to be bad. I found the Halo: Novels quite fulfilling until Karen Travesty dropped one of her bombs in that universe as well.

The novelization of Combat Evolved was great. I think it could definitely be handled well. There are so many good characters that could use exposition...like Bandon and Uthar Wynn.

Nephthys
Theres a difference between novelising a shooter and novelising a 50 hour RPG. You're never going to be able to fit as much in as the game did, put in as much charactisation or truly do it justice imo.

NTJack0
Maybe, as long as it's not written by Drew.

Lord Lucien
The Halo CE novel was released just a couple of years after the game, and before the series became as big (in lore) and famous as it has. KotOR, while not being a relevant gaming title in almost a decade, still has accrued considerable weight amongst many RPG and Star Wars fans alike. Any author willing (and allowed) to release a canon novel of KotOR would have the combined pressure of fans, owners, and personal bias to overcome. Better had it been released before the sequel came out.

Obsidian took the main character from the first game and transformed a talented, straight forward protagonist in to some sort of demi-god that was worshiped and feared by all, in hushed tones. Revan and the mythos as a whole has only been only dug in deeper since 2004.

For that, a simple, fun, straight forward novelization of a simple, fun, straight forward game, is now very unlikely. Any author will feel obliged to cater to the now more popular image of the KotOR and TOR era--that is to say, schlock. And I think the book would suffer in quality for it. Just look at what Karpyshyn with his Bane: terrible books for a decent comic.

EDIT: and Neph is right: an RPG that averages 50 hours will take more than a novel. For any quality content, it would take a small series of novels. And that's disregarding the inherent problems I mention above.

psmith81992
I still gotta agree with Janus. A novel about the ancient sith like Hord, Ragnos, or even pre exiles like Adas, would be AWESOME. It's an era that hasn't been explored at all.

NewGuy01
Hord or Adas novels would be interesting, yeah.

Stealth Moose
History ftw. And agreed on the above points redoing KotOR. It would require a writer with far more vision and talent. Like...

Chris Avellone.

Petrus
If a competent enough writer did it, I would be up for a KOTOR series of novels. I would also prefer a novel from the previous eras doe.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Lord Stark
I know I always wished characters like Malak, Vandar, Vrook, and even Revan would get more screentime (and feats for the battledome). What do you guys think, do you wish KOTOR I and II could be novelized (and maybe somethings being added in).

I think such novels could be good. I'd certainly give them a try.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Nephthys
Theres a difference between novelising a shooter and novelising a 50 hour RPG. You're never going to be able to fit as much in as the game did, put in as much charactisation or truly do it justice imo.

That's true, but it also added a shit ton of content.
You could either make it into an 800-1000 word novel or you could make it into a trilogy.

Lord Lucien
Did you mean 8,000? 800 isn't much--we regularly type out posts longer than that.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Did you mean 8,000? 800 isn't much--we regularly type out posts longer than that.

Sorry I meant 800-1000 page novels.

Lord Lucien
So a tome.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
So a tome.

Pretty much.

Tzeentch
I would be totally down for some stories from the Ancient Sith Empire.

I'd also be open to a series that takes place during the Jedi Schism. It's one of my favorite unexplored eras; I've written a few not completed fan fictions on it myself.

juyomaster34
Yes ...I would the NJO is talked about enough to the point that it is over rated.....
It's time for new and unexplained things to be written like the Jedi before Yoda when Yoda was a
knight or padawan. Who came before...Luke's NJO is not that interesting to me...

Legacy...with Cade Skywalker was more interesting than Luke's NJO.
So yes anything that doesn't deal with NJO is a good read...like Darth Plaguis.
That was a very good story...

The clonining of the Vornskrs where very interesting...and then combining them with the
Fero xyn. that was cool and the Valley of the Jedi...very interesting...

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I would be totally down for some stories from the Ancient Sith Empire.

I'd also be open to a series that takes place during the Jedi Schism. It's one of my favorite unexplored eras; I've written a few not completed fan fictions on it myself.

thumb up

Schism era too, I agree.

juyomaster34
Schisms era,especially...that would be cool...I agree...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.