A New Hope Vs. The Phantom Menace

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GordonSkywalker
Which "first" Star Wars film did you enjoy the most? Mine was The Phantom Menace all hands down! What about you guys? cool

justinday15
The Phantom Menace, because Darth Maul and Qui Gon are awesome

finti
ehh what has this to do with the title of the thread

Corran
A new hope cos I was 8 and it still sticks in my mind as one of the best trips to the cinema

finti
can compare any OT with the new stuff, the OT was good the new ones aint

GordonSkywalker
The purpose of this topic is to get posters to compare the two films and choose their favorite. Only these two films are being considered in this discussion. cool

finti
then TPM dont stand a snowballs chance in hell
Star Wars was awesome PM was surprisingly weak

GordonSkywalker
Does anyone wish to argue with that observation? I won't.

justinday15
I'll argue, TPM has way more action and it's newer. I guess I just like it better because im younger then some people here.

GordonSkywalker
Yes I should have anticipated this would be debated from an age standpoint. The older guys are for the original, the younger guys are for TPM. Of course I like them both. Go figure.

cookies2006
i like both. But i like PM better. This started the whole story. Well, you know what i mean.

GordonSkywalker
Yes understood.

cookies2006
This showed us how it all started. and for QGJ how it ended.

justinday15
Qui Gon rocks. rock

GordonSkywalker
Qui Gon Jinn was to me the best thing about The Phantom Menace. He served the same function as Old Obi Wan Kenobi did in A New Hope.

cookies2006
Exactimundo!

GordonSkywalker
Yes the mentor who trains his student then dies at the moment his pupil comes of age so to speak. smile

justinday15
yeah, Qui Gons my favorite character in TPM too.

cookies2006
All the jedis were good at acting.

GordonSkywalker
I say Qui Gon is the only reason we can call it a Star Wars film. Everything was just too different.

justinday15
The TPM was a big change from the old star wars films.

justinday15
George Lucas waited along time to make more star wars movies after episode VI.

Ushgarak
He was waiting for the technology to catch up with his vision.

GordonSkywalker
Ush is correct. It has been well documented as the reason Lucas waited so long before doing the newer films.

justinday15
Is that why he made episodes 4, 5, and 6 before 1, 2, and 3,
because he didnt have the tecnology that he has today?

mechmoggy
His original idea was for it to be a 9 part saga I believe.

In reply to the main thread question......I'm with the old guys, ANH kicks TPM's ass every time.

GordonSkywalker
I agree that Star Wars is winner in any serious debate putting it aganist The Phantom Menace. And I do not know why he made 4,5,and 6 before 1,2,and 3.

cookies2006
Who knows how bad sw would have been if GL would of made 123 before 456. The whole saga would be changed.

GordonSkywalker
Yeah now there is something to think about. The movies might have done better-or-worse-if the current trilogy was done first.

cookies2006
mindblowing!

GordonSkywalker
I still would watch The Phantom Menace over A New Hope if given such a choice. For some reason I cannot sit through ANH whenever it is shown on TV.

BackFire349
what are you crazy, a new hope no contest.

GordonSkywalker
I cannot sit through A New Hope for some strange reason. The beginning is too long. I have no such troubles watching Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor in action at the start of Episode I.

ScruffyD
Ah, but nothing in TPM has the menace (pun intended) of Darth Vader walking down the Rebel ship's corridors in the begining of ANH. Those first few scenes really set the tone for the rest of that trilogy.

GordonSkywalker
The original trilogy yes. This is a film outside the boundaries of the first trilogy and the start of the current one. The purpose of this discussion is an analysis of the original Star Wars(Episode IV) and Episode I. All thoughts are welcome by the way.

GordonSkywalker
Plus Episode I has something A New Hope does not: The Duel of the Fates as it has come to be called. Darth Vader has nothing on Darth Maul.

finti
Darth Vader has his entire apperance which is bad ass number 1, TPM is boring from when they get to Naboo, and until they get back to Naboo.
There is so much more action in ANH

GordonSkywalker
Another endorsement from our man finti who chooses ANH as his favorite out of our option box!

justinday15
I like episode 1 better too, ANH doesn't have enough lightsabers.

GordonSkywalker
I have bought the Episode I DVD and it looks great! The Duel of the Fates music trailer is a particular favorite of mine. Special Thanks to yerssot for reccomending it!

finti
there are three light sabers in bote EPI and ANHbig grin

GordonSkywalker
Yeah and that's counting the one Obi Wan gives to Luke. Which except for the Millenium Falcon scenes we never see again!

finti
still as many lightsabers though

GordonSkywalker
The Phantom Menace is cool in my opinion. Yours is that it is bad. Fair enough. Even Scruffy prefers A New Hope to the prequel!

finti
I see the OT as the real Star Wars and the prequels as a poor attempt to expand the Star Wars series. I wish George had ended it with ROTJ

GordonSkywalker
I don't know. The two series are vastly different. There is bound to be a preference for the OT. I still enjoy the basic idea of them doing a prequel trilogy.

justinday15
I guess the prequels are for the younger generation of Star Wars fans, because not very many of the older people like the prepuels.

GordonSkywalker
That appears to be true but I am one of the 'old ones' and still like the prequels for the most part.

cookies2006
Thanks for seeing it in a young point of view. Plus your not old your just older.

justinday15
Thats what i ment, not old just older...Wait thats what i said older.

cookies2006
I know what you said,but it sounded like gordon thought we called him old or something....? Your not old gordon!!

GordonSkywalker
{Ah but compared to you both I am my young apprentices}

cookies2006
Yeah so, we're teenagers but your only what like 25 or somthing. 50 some is old in my books.

GordonSkywalker
For the record I am in my late twenties and am old enough to have seen Return of the Jedi in the theaters in 1983. So all young girls below the age of 18 should leave me alone as I will only talk with those who are of legal age. I still like The Phantom Menace over A New Hope. big grin

yerssot
be happy then wink

GordonSkywalker
I am happy about having reached the ripe old age of 26 as it means I don't have to worry about such things like school anymore. Do you watch Episode I any yerss?

yerssot
watch it from time to time, yes

GordonSkywalker
That's right...what am I thinking?.....You were the one who recommended I get the Episode I DVD! Thanks for making a spot on recommendation! This is my current favorite SW at least until Episode III comes out or a ROTJ dvd is released! big grin cool

yerssot
*bows* stick out tongue

the dvds of the OT will be available in 2006 (that's the earliest possible, but would be around 2008 orso imho)

GordonSkywalker
Hm...five years away.......

yerssot
... I hope

GordonSkywalker
So does anyone else out here like The Phantom Menace besides me and my boys here? cool

cookies2006
I do, unless im one of the boy's.

finti
Just watched an hour or so of TPM but grew bored and turned it off, guess I finish it tonight sometime. Now I would never have turned ANH off

GordonSkywalker
I watched it yesterday and enjoyed it. Oh and you are one of the boys Tyler.

cookies2006
Cool! How can you get bored of TPM before ANH?

yerssot
because some say it's a long and boring story

LaurenE147
I never get bored when I watch TPM. A little when I watch ANH

finti
Still havent finished TPM yet dont think I will either. The tattoiine scenes are way to boring. Guess I put on AOTC next

yerssot
just fastforward to the dual wink

GordonSkywalker
Works for me.

finti
that is not an option , either I watch it or not

finti
Watching ANH brings back that good ol Star Wars feelings. I tremeber when it first came out. It had a boxing day premiere here in Norway(used to get films way later than the states those days) 1977. I allready goot the comic and it was translated into Norwegian too so I knew what it was all about. Actually it was the cover of that comic I fell in love with. All black cover, Star Wars written in red letters and the classic picture of Luke with a lightsaber with Leia next to him on Tatooine... Vader took up the background and all those x-wings charging towards Death Star. Man it really blew me away. Try to scan it when I get back from work

yerssot
wasn't it used as the first poster too?

finti
a simmilare picture not entirly the same though

LaurenE147
i have no nostalgic memories of the first opening because my twenty-three year old brother wasn't even conceived. I do however have nostalgic memories of the opening of TPM when I was first introduced to the magic of Star Wars.

finti
This is from the original comic book release in Norway, I got it early December 1977 saw ANH on boxing day(26th) same month

GordonSkywalker
Oh that is amazing. They sell the classic comics like that at a thrift store around here.

yerssot
is that coruscant in the lower left corner?

finti
no it is a settlement on Tattoine, eitherLukes home or some bigger thing.
You can see the moistering towers,.hmmmmmmmmmmmm guess I have to read it tonight

yerssot
just a tad behind that one, lots of buildings

finti
that is cliffs

GordonSkywalker
I think I am getting a better appreciation of the original film.

finti
I grew up with them, evrything kind off evolved around Star Wars we were so hooked up in it me and my friends. Mamber of the SW fan club received bantha tracks 4 times a year it was cool. Besides footbal(european style) and girls SW was the thing up until the end(first one) in 1983 with the great finale ROTJ. But ANH still gives me that boyish feeling and it is great. Get to be a kid again for at least 2 hours, 6 if you watch the entire OT

finti
But the attached picture is what caught my attention it blew me away and I was totally sold. Guess thats what you call love at first sight, I read the comic a couple of time each day until I saw the movie almost a month later.
You can see the cover is a bit worn.
Have to read it on the bed now, Monika(my girlfriend) just rolls her eyes seeing I found this comic again. But hey its Star Wars, what can you say.

GordonSkywalker
Yes I know how that feels. I am totally obsessed with Star Wars now.

cookies2006
Just about all my life.

GordonSkywalker
I am fascinated with the whole Anakin thing and how it ties into the original film.

cookies2006
I know,GL is very clever and creative. Wish i could be bored enough to think of something to make billions.

GordonSkywalker
That would be cool. I am seriously thinking of changing my stance to that of Star Wars over Episode I. This does not mean the latter is no good for it still introduces us to Qui Gon and Darth Maul. Howver after watching my dvd over and over within the last week I have gotten sick of the Duel of the Fates music. Go figure. embarrasment

Telemicus
I grew up with the original trilogy, I cannot tell you how many times i've watched ANH, ESB or ROTJ. Everytime I watch them again, I am still enthralled and the hairs never fail to stand up on the back of my neck when Han shoots the tie to give luke a clear run in ANH or when Luke goes bezerk fighting Vader in ROTJ, er, sorry i'm waffling.
When I heard there were to be prequels made I wet myself.

To cut a long story short, their nothing compared to the OT, it has destroyed much of my faith in Lucas and to compare ANH with PM is like comparing...... well I don't know.
ANH wins.

cookies2006
I dont know why but i like PM better. Maybe its because my two favorite SW characters are in it. It just has a fresh start.

Telemicus
Who are they? Qui jon im dead and darth face paint?

Metroplex
Im fed up of A new hope. I saw like a hundred times. Phantom menace is better because the fight scences are intence, but i think that ANH's story is better

cookies2006
Yes i agree with metroplex.

justinday15
Not enough lightsaber action in anh.

cookies2006
But ep1 and ep2 will probly have more lightsaber action then the rest of the trilogy combined.

justinday15
yup

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.