Who thinks there is freedom? Who thinks there isn't?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AceleFortiere
Just curious. coz' there are so many people out there with different insights.
For me, I think there is. But I'm interested in other insights, I mean, it's nice to be able to understand how one sees the world different to yours. It doesn't really need to be based on experience. I just wanted to know if FREEDOM does truly exist somewhere in our world or in our life.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by AceleFortiere
Just curious. coz' there are so many people out there with different insights.
For me, I think there is. But I'm interested in other insights, I mean, it's nice to be able to understand how one sees the world different to yours. It doesn't really need to be based on experience. I just wanted to know if FREEDOM does truly exist somewhere in our world or in our life.

Please define freedom.

Oneness
if FREEDOM does truly exist somewhere in our world or in our life. I don't know.

I have some limited freedom, I'm free to think about what I want, I'm free to choose what to spend the money I earn on, to choose how to make money to a limited degree, to choose to buy good looking clothes and make myself fit and presentable, to choose to pursue any career out there.

I'm not free to fly, to be above physical injury, to be above anxiety, to be above Maslow's hierarchy of needs, I can't choose my friends or a lover (though I can choose what group of people to interact with and I can choose to pursue so and so romantically).

Stealth Moose
'Murica has freedom.

Tee hee

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
'Murica has freedom.

Tee hee

Not anymore.

Oneness
In the 60's, factory workers were comfortably in the upper middle class, easily able to provide for their entire families. In the 60's things were more factorized, industrialized, centralized - more people were earning so more people could put money back into the economy.

Now one factory job, if you don't get laid off after a few months, will not take you out of the lower class.

What happened?

Free-market happened, apathy towards education systems happened, price-gouged tech-schools happened, big business happened, apathy towards R&D programs like NASA happened.

Big business runs the world, have their hands in the FRS, deep in US's FRS, and all nations have it. Scarcity has created a monster, while we could be post-scarcity - and the shrinking of the world may take us there - the big corporate fatties won't go down before a fight. But they will, unless they organize nuclear Armageddon. How? Monopoly of fossil fuels.

Digi
OP needs to figure out what he's talking about before any response is warranted.

Lord Lucien
We clearly have freedom:

lLCEUpIg8rE

Stealth Moose
No True Scotsman was hurt in that production.

Originally posted by Digi
OP needs to figure out what he's talking about before any response is warranted.

I lol'd.

Lord Lucien
I just noticed the OP's picture. Freedom is a fuzzy light-bird in hyperspace...

Freedom is the Millennium Falcon. Holy shit...

Stealth Moose
Han Solo = only free man.

Then came Leia.

Real Star Wars moral truth = women just tie you down.

Lord Lucien
Much better if you just tie them down and get on with it. So advocated by Freddie Mercury.

AceleFortiere
Others said that there really isn't any TRUE freedom because it is not present when you needed it. Because they say that everywhere we go there are boundaries. But you know freedom is not something we can just call on. It's not a weapon against the boundaries we have in life. Its just a blissful feeling that we can only feel in a very rare moment in our life. It is a feeling wherein we can only feel during are happiest times where we can all be ourselves. Like right now, we can just say anything we want. We have the freedom to speak out our thought here in this forum. Freedom is just there. Just right beside us. It's like.. hmm... air, for example, we can't see it, we can't touch it, it just passes through us and we can only feel it for a brief moment. TRUE Freedom is only temporary not everlasting. It doesn't need to be ETERNAL to be considered as something true. I mean, we might get spoiled with too much Freedom, won't we? It can result to something bad. True freedom easily slips through us. We can't grab it but we can feel it. It only stays, sometime for a moment, some for an hour and sometime even a day but it cannot stay any longer. And we easily forget the feeling that FREEDOM gave us because of the many boundaries we experience in life. That is why, there are so many that thinks that there is no Freedom but it actually exists as something true and something that we should treasure.
LOL, I think I just made a very long essay. haha sorry for taking your time in reading this very long message of mine which might be actually boring. I just wanted to let all my feelings out I mean, this is where I can only type my thoughts. LOL I'm so emotional.

AceleFortiere
BTW, A woman is present here~

And one quote says, "Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes."

Lol

Oneness
Others said that there really isn't any TRUE freedom because it is not present when you needed it. Because they say that everywhere we go there are boundaries. But you know freedom is not something we can just call on. It's not a weapon against the boundaries we have in life. Its just a blissful feeling that we can only feel in a very rare moment in our life. It is a feeling wherein we can only feel during are happiest times where we can all be ourselves. Like right now, we can just say anything we want. We have the freedom to speak out our thought here in this forum. Freedom is just there. Just right beside us. It's like.. hmm... air, for example, we can't see it, we can't touch it, it just passes through us and we can only feel it for a brief moment. TRUE Freedom is only temporary not everlasting. It doesn't need to be ETERNAL to be considered as something true. I mean, we might get spoiled with too much Freedom, won't we? It can result to something bad. True freedom easily slips through us. We can't grab it but we can feel it. It only stays, sometime for a moment, some for an hour and sometime even a day but it cannot stay any longer. And we easily forget the feeling that FREEDOM gave us because of the many boundaries we experience in life. That is why, there are so many that thinks that there is no Freedom but it actually exists as something true and something that we should treasure.
LOL, I think I just made a very long essay. haha sorry for taking your time in reading this very long message of mine which might be actually boring. I just wanted to let all my feelings out I mean, this is where I can only type my thoughts. LOL I'm so emotional. Are you making fun of me?

Oh how I love being mimicked by fake alts.

Mindship
Arm, go up. Arm goes up. H'm.

If nothing else, free will exists as a reliable 'as-if'.

Stealth Moose
Others said that there really isn't any TRUE freedom because it is not present when you needed it. Because they say that everywhere we go there are boundaries. But you know freedom is not something we can just call on. It's not a weapon against the boundaries we have in life. Its just a blissful feeling that we can only feel in a very rare moment in our life. It is a feeling wherein we can only feel during are happiest times where we can all be ourselves.

This is actually a good definition = freedom is when we feel like we can be ourselves. Free of the burden of censorship, restriction, and such.

Within reason. It's less reserved than IRL communication among strangers due to the anonymity part, but still moderated.

From the Count of Monte Cristo film:

Abbe Faria: In return for your help, I offer you something priceless.
Edmond: My freedom?
Abbe Faria: No, freedom can be taken away, as you well know. I offer you my knowledge.

BTW, A woman is present here~

It's okay, they do exist online.

DrDeadpool
It really depends on your definition of freedom but anyway I don't think there should be a 100 % freedom because humans are still not sophisticated enough, when i think of freedom i remember the movie mist , people are so different in various situations , a stressful or a terrifying condition can steal our ability to think right, now imagine a complete freedom , when you can access to any information you want or see any place you desire!! that would change you a lot!!! Of course there will be a time when we can have a complete freedom but its not the time yet.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by DrDeadpool
i remember the movie mist No matter the context, saying this should be an automatic red flag.

Digi
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f75/t590217.html

Head there for a more nuanced discussion on freedom (although it's referred to as free will in the thread more often than freedom, but under certain definitions, the two are synonymous).

My answer would be that freedom exists on a spectrum, with several variables affecting its presence or absence at any given point. It is not, however, a zero sum question.

Wonder Man
Freedom.

Dr. Matthew
People think there is no freedom, because they expect more.

Mindship
"Freedom? That is a worship word. You will not speak it."

Shabazz916
there is no freedom we live in a society full of selfish ppl.

Emperordmb
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/126/b/5/llloookkkiii_by_stephhardy28-d64c375.jpg

No but in all seriousness, we have freedom, and at the same time we don't have it.

We will always have limits, but we have choices as well.

loaderharrison
Yeah I always think there is a kind of freedom.

Bentley
Freedom was a word invented not to say "responsability", when the actual concept you want is exactly that.

Shabazz916
your free to follow dreams others have set for you under certain guidelines

uboat683doc
On a universal level, no we do not have true freedom. I am not free to walk to the moon and buy a Mack truck from a vending machine. Some things just can't happen. This might not be what you are asking though.

On a practical level, we are also limited. We impose social and legal limits on ourselves. In this case though, we can choose to violate those norms. We can be antisocial or commit criminal acts. We have the freedom to do these things. Laws and customs only serve to warn us that our actions may not be tolerated.

Then, when we wind up in prison, we are no more limited than I am when I can't go to the moon. Certain things become impossibilities--like walking out of the prison gate and going fishing.

And if my goal was to wind up in prison, then the very law that should have prevented my criminal act actually facilitated me in exercising my will.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.