A Year In Cinema: 2013

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
***** Masterpiece - Simply put, one of the best of all time.: 12 Years A Slave

****1/2 Excellent - Will stand the test of time as something that I'll look back on as an important film.: Fruitvale Station

**** Great - Thouroughly enjoyed these fine works of cinema. Proud to defend these films and this is the material where it STARTS to make the year worth it. Feel free to view twice!: Man of Steel, Captain Phillips, Gravity, Star Trek: Into Darkness

***1/2 Very Good - Basically, I can't call them it "great" but I have to seperate it from being labeled simply "good". It deserves more. Wouldn't kill me to see it in the cinema twice.: The Conjuring, Catching Fire, Lee Daniels' The Butler

*** Good - Thor: The Dark World, Pacific Rim, You're Next, Insidious 2, Evil Dead, Fast & Furious 6, Olympus Has Fallen, Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa, The Iceman

** Mediocre - Pretty much bad except I could enjoy some parts of the film enough to warrant a higher rating. Probably wouldn't mind never seeing again.: Iron Man 3, Elysium, The Wolverine, The Purge, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Snitch

* Bad - Give me my money back!: Oblivion, After Earth, Gangster Squad

Still have to see: Prisoners, Don Jon, 42, This is the End, Now You See Me, A Good Day to Die Hard, Pain & Gain, The Place Beyond the Pines, The Counselor, The Lords of Salem

All in all, it was a good year.

http://img.pandawhale.com/45018-Billy-Dee-Williams-clapping-gi-87wh.gif

Firefly218
thor needs to be higher and star trek lower

Patient_Leech
I think it's a bit harsh putting Oblivion on par with After Earth. Oblivion, while nothing groundbreaking or new necessarily, is quite watchable. After Earth is atrocious in just about every way.

Here's what I've seen so far from 2013:

Jack The Giant Slayer = enjoyable popcorn entertainment, but nothing more
Bullet To The Head = decent old-school action film
Die Hard 5 = garbage on most levels
Oz the Great and Powerful = visual treat, popcorn entertainment
Dead Man Down = excellent old school drama/thriller by Dragon Tattoo director
Evil Dead (remake) = mixed feelings, but actually rather forgettable
Oblivion = mishmash of many other sci-fi films with great cinematography
The Lords of Salem = quite good, I'd almost say Kubrickian, believe it or not. I was as surprised as anyone
Star Trek: Into Darkness = would be good without JJ Abrams Shaky-cam/Lense Flares
Fast & Furious 6 = pretty laughable, not good, especially after Fast 5
Man of Steel = surprisingly good
World War Z = surprisingly good
The Lone Ranger = mediocre at best
After Earth = sentimental sci-fi crap, stop giving M. Night money; he can't do anything right
Iron Man 3 = at least on par with the others
Pacific Rim = surprisingly good (seen it twice now actually)
Europa Report = pretty good little indie sci-fi, cinema verite.
Elysium = would have been damn near perfect without so much shaky cam
Riddick = excellent considering the budget and what they needed to achieve for the fans (still awaiting the Unrated DC)
Metallica: Through The Never = solid concert film for Metallica Fans
Gravity = excellent
The Counselor = will probably not appeal to many, but also surprisingly good if you're patient enough for it
Ender's Game = excellent
The Last Days on Mars = great potential wasted

Still haven't seen....

Wolverine
Captain Phillips
Machete Kills
Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters
Olympus Has Fallen
GI Joe Retaliation (not sure I will)
12 Years A Slave
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2
Thor: The Dark World
Pain and Gain
The Conjuring
Escape
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Hours (Paul Walker's film)
Anchorman 2

There were some good surprises this year. I will say that probably the biggest disappointment of the year (though not particularly surprising) was the new Die Hard.

ares834
On my scale a 2.5/5 is an average film and a 5 is a great film (not necessarily one of the best of all time). Now with that said here are those I can recall seeing right now:

Die Hard 5 - 1/5
Oz the Great and Powerful - 2/5
Iron Man 3 - 1.5/5
Oblivion - 1/5 (tbf I did fall asleep halfway through so it may have become better)
Man of Steel - 4/5
Thor: The Dark World - 2.5/5
Pacific Rim - 2/5
Ender's Game - 2/5
Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 5/5
World War Z - 4/5
Carrie - 2/5
Riddick - 2/5
Olympus has Fallen - 2.5/5
Star Trek: Into Darkness - 3/5
The World's End - 3.5/5

I still need to see Elysium , Gravity (really looking forward to this), Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug , and The Wolverine . Otherwise, it's been a pretty disappointing year for me. Most films I saw fell well below my expectations. Only WWZ and Catching Fire exceeded my expectations.

Dr Will Hatch
Oh man, I'd be here all day if I had to rank every movie I've seen, so I'll just give a "Best Of..." instead.

Best Drama: Before Midnight(Runners up: Fruitvale Station, Prisoners, and Nebraska)

Best Comedy: This Is The End(Runners up: Pain & Gain and The World's End)

Best Superhero Film: Kick-Ass 2(Runners up: The Wolverine and Iron Man III)

Best Horror Film: The Conjuring(Runners up: You're Next and Mama)

Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Gravity(Runners up: Catching Fire, Elysium, Ender's Game, and Oz the Great and Powerful)

Most Disappointing: Man of Steel(Runners Up: R.I.P.D and The Purge).

Haven't seen:

12 Years A Slave
Afternoon Delight
Drinking Buddies
Inside Llewyn Davis
Carrie

Darth Martin
I forgot to put World War Z in the Good section.

Originally posted by Firefly218
thor needs to be higher and star trek lower No thanks. Thor 2 was good but nothing special. Star Trek: Into Darkness succeeded with what Abrams wanted to do. More or less on par with the first film which was great as well.

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I think it's a bit harsh putting Oblivion on par with After Earth. Oblivion, while nothing groundbreaking or new necessarily, is quite watchable. After Earth is atrocious in just about every way.
Oblivion had good cinematography. That's about it. I almost fell asleep during it.

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Best Drama: Before Midnight(Runners up: Fruitvale Station, Prisoners, and Nebraska) How was Nebraska?

CheshireMoon
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Oh man, I'd be here all day if I had to rank every movie I've seen, so I'll just give a "Best Of..." instead.

Best Drama: Before Midnight(Runners up: Fruitvale Station, Prisoners, and Nebraska)

Best Comedy: This Is The End(Runners up: Pain & Gain and The World's End)

Best Superhero Film: Kick-Ass 2(Runners up: The Wolverine and Iron Man III)

Best Horror Film: The Conjuring(Runners up: You're Next and Mama)

Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Gravity(Runners up: Catching Fire, Elysium, Ender's Game, and Oz the Great and Powerful)

Most Disappointing: Man of Steel(Runners Up: R.I.P.D and The Purge).

Haven't seen:

12 Years A Slave
Afternoon Delight
Drinking Buddies
Inside Llewyn Davis
Carrie

I agree with you on most, I would swop best sci-fi for Elysium and Gravity as a runner up. To add to your best Comedy list would be We're the Millers for me. Drinking Buddies is pretty good but I wouldn't let it near the 'best of' list

CheshireMoon
Originally posted by ares834
On my scale a 2.5/5 is an average film and a 5 is a great film (not necessarily one of the best of all time). Now with that said here are those I can recall seeing right now:

Die Hard 5 - 1/5
Oz the Great and Powerful - 2/5
Iron Man 3 - 1.5/5
Oblivion - 1/5 (tbf I did fall asleep halfway through so it may have become better)
Man of Steel - 4/5
Thor: The Dark World - 2.5/5
Pacific Rim - 2/5
Ender's Game - 2/5
Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 5/5
World War Z - 4/5
Carrie - 2/5
Riddick - 2/5
Olympus has Fallen - 2.5/5
Star Trek: Into Darkness - 3/5
The World's End - 3.5/5

I still need to see Elysium , Gravity (really looking forward to this), Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug , and The Wolverine . Otherwise, it's been a pretty disappointing year for me. Most films I saw fell well below my expectations. Only WWZ and Catching Fire exceeded my expectations.

Harsh critic! After reading that I clearly need to watch Hunger Games- sounds like it will BLOW MY MIND eek!

Lestov16
From what I've seen

Gangster Squad- loved it, simple but enjoyable 3/5

Iron Man 3- OK; enjoyable to an extent but blatantly obvious that like the other IM films, RDJ's charisma and good visuals must carry a sub-par plot
3/5

Man Of Steel- OK; excellent visuals and fight scenes, but clunky characterization prevents it from excelling 3/5

Pacific Rim- My favorite film of the year. Absolutely loved it; a perfectly made escapist flick which is intricately designed not to gain movie-goer's cash like certain Michael Bay franchises, but to genuinely entertain them as much as possible.
4/5

Olympus Has Fallen- loved it; would have been an excellent successor to 80s/90s action flicks, but is hindered by utter stupidity in the writing (such as attempting to detonate a nuke by setting off explosives next to it, etc.)
3/5

A Haunted House- Yes, I saw this in theaters. Phuck you. 1/5

Scary Movie 5- Yep, this too. Kiss my sweet ass. 1/5

Kiss Ass 2- very disappointing; lazy Bay-esque humor turns it into a silly farce rather than a good superhero film
2/5

Star Trek into Darkness- OK; a fun little escapist popcorn flick, but nothing that will leave you mesmerized or give you insight
3/5

Gravity- Good; excellent visuals obviously, a satisfactory plot; I would really only recommend this if you want that outer-space view (then again, that's EVERYBODY); as a survival film, it's OK, but films like The Grey blow it out of the water
3/5

Catching Fire- What else needs to be said? It's The Hunger Games. It would be an insult to phuck it up, and so they didn't.
4/5

GI Joe: Retaliation- OK; the epitome of the generic popcorn flick, it was escapist fun (although misogynistic at points), but nothing memorable or mesmerizing like Pacific Rim 3/5

Dr Will Hatch
Not the greatest work by Alexander Payne, I think The Descendants is his best, but it was still pretty damn good. I'm really glad that Bruce Dern is getting more recognition as of late, because he's one of my favorite character actors.

dynamix
***** FF6, Gravity, Europa Report

**** Man of Steel, Ender's Game, Conjuring, Evil Dead

*** WWZ, Hunger Game, insidious 2

(movies i thought was pretty damn good but nobody else seem to think so) - Riddick, Escape Plan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.