Guillermo del Toro vs JJ Abrams

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

golem370
Better director & Story Teller?

jinXed by JaNx
Bad question. They're both good story tellers and directors. This question will just inspire pride, idiocy and aggression to come out.

NemeBro
Actually I am pretty sure del Toro is the correct answer.

golem370
I like them both so not trying to start anything with this thread.

Lestov16
JJ seems to go for the superlative effects possible for a genre (such as Alias, a Bondian show with peerless action visuals), whereas Del Toro seems to go for effects that you won't find elsewhere (Biblical angel from Hellboy 2, underwater nuclear explosion from Pacific Rim, etc.) Also, based on the two films I've seen of theirs this year (Star Trek 2 and Pacific Rim), I would say Del Toro's films have more originality and substance to them, and targets more specific audiences, whereas J.J. just wants to entertain the general audience and please as much people as possible.

Just some comparisons. Both are awesome directors though, so obvious stalemate.

XanatosForever
JJ Trollbrams can't hold a candle to Maestro del Toro.

BruceSkywalker
this is a tie

COG Veteran
Del Toro all the way.

Firefly218
Both great filmmakers. However, Michael Bay FTW!!!!!!!!!!

Kazenji
Both good, But i prefer Del Toro more.

quanchi112
Abrams. This isn't even close.

jaden101
Visually, Del Toro is leagues ahead. He sometimes picks odd choices of films though which can let him down.

JJ is the opposite. He has a good story telling skills cos he's a writer but his directorial skills aren't all that great...yet.

the ninjak
JJ knows his craft yet so does Toro.

Yet Toro has the balls to enter horror/comic fiction as a director.
He wins in Horror but his attempts in comicbook/sci fi related ventures fall flat at times. Due to his non Hollywood style in directing.

Both are visionaries and personally del Toro edges out due to personal taste.
Guillermo takes heavier risks and stares fantasy in the face and pushes forward.

These two shouldn't be weighed against but Guillermo has made films that I can always go back and watch again for they are simply classics.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.