Neil Gaiman's Sandman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Joseph Gordon-Levitt will star as Morpheus aka Sandman in the upcoming film adapted from the first story arc "Preludes and Nocturnes", and will also direct said film, as well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/17/joseph-gordon-levitt-to-star-in-and-direct-sandman-movie?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

I can see JGL as Morpheus, but as director? Man, I hope this film isn't screwed up. I adore the Sandman series and have every issue in my collection.

Bardock42
JGL seems like a good kinda fellow, I'm excited.

Patient_Leech
They better use some f#cking Metallica...

Impediment
Why Metallica?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Impediment
Joseph Gordon-Levitt will star as Morpheus aka Sandman in the upcoming film adapted from the first story arc "Preludes and Nocturnes", and will also direct said film, as well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/17/joseph-gordon-levitt-to-star-in-and-direct-sandman-movie?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

I can see JGL as Morpheus, but as director? Man, I hope this film isn't screwed up. I adore the Sandman series and have every issue in my collection.
JGL is good...but...

...seriously, considering how overexposed Benedict Cumberbatch is right now, how the **** does he not get cast as Morpheus? If you didn't know any better, you'd have thought that Gaiman modeled Morpheus off him.

Edit: Apparently JGL is only a producer.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Omega Vision
JGL is good...but...

...seriously, considering how overexposed Benedict Cumberbatch is right now, how the **** does he not get cast as Morpheus? If you didn't know any better, you'd have thought that Gaiman modeled Morpheus off him.

Edit: Apparently JGL is only a producer.

Cumberbatch could have been a great Morpheus, true, true.

Epicurus
Kate Beckinsale for Death.

roughrider
This is better news than the time Joel Schumacher said he was going to adapt Sandman, anyway.

ares834
I'm excited.

Why Metallica?

I'd assume it is a reference to Enter Sandman.

BruceSkywalker
getting excited about this...

more news should eventually follow

Esau Cairn

I adore the Sandman series and have every issue in my collection.

I enjoy Gaiman's writing however I do find it hard re-reading Sandman after all these years. Too much angst...great for a teenager into comics but as an adult now, I personally find it too nostalgic to visit again.

dynamix
OHHH Snap!!

Patient_Leech
Why Metallica?
One of their biggest hits, "Enter Sandman," was inspired by Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
One of their biggest hits, "Enter Sandman," was inspired by Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Not debating...but the general consensus was that the song was about a child's nightmares or destroying the "perfect" family with the burden of a hidden secret like crib death.

the ninjak
Remember when Sean Penn was rumoured for the part?

Turns out the role was for This Must Be the Place.

Shame JGL doesn't fit the physique yet he's an awesome actor and will do the role justice regardless. Brick comes to mind.

Hope this pans out.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
One of their biggest hits, "Enter Sandman," was inspired by Neil Gaiman's Sandman. It was not.

Impediment
Any news about this?

Dreampanther
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joseph-gordon-levitt-sandman-movie-800948

http://collider.com/sandman-movie-production-start-david-goyer/

Rewrites and delays. One comment, that perhaps this would be better on TV, actually makes sense to me. Despite their passion and enthusiasm which I applaud, I am not sure they will be able to fit enough into a movie to convey how big and spectacular the comics series really was.

Esau Cairn
I think a tv series is going to be very formulated & cliched though.
Each episode featuring a tale of one of his siblings screwing with a mortal's life then Sandman making the obligatory appearance in the end.
I mean they screwed HellBlazer with the featured demon of the week scenario & a weak subplot trying to connect each episode together.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I think a tv series is going to be very formulated & cliched though.
Each episode featuring a tale of one of his siblings screwing with a mortal's life then Sandman making the obligatory appearance in the end.
I mean they screwed HellBlazer with the featured demon of the week scenario & a weak subplot trying to connect each episode together.

Agree with most of this, especially the way Constantine was handled, but I meant a treatment the way Netflix has been approaching it with Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Basically, you make something like a ten-hour movie with twelve chapters.

Esau Cairn
^^^ Good point is they actually do approach it as one long movie.
But the worse case scenario is that they market it to the Twilight crowd.

I enjoyed Sandman as a teen when it came out but I don't think I have a stomach for all the angst, 20+ years later.

Darth Thor
So Joseph Levitt is out:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/03/05/joseph-gordon-levitt-drops-out-of-sandman-movie

Impediment
I'm kinda relieved.

ares834
Not a good sign. He's the guy that's been pushing this from the start. That he dropped out after that suggests he clearly isn't confident with what they are doing.

Darth Thor
Yeah not a good sign. This was supposed to be his passion project.

quanchi112
Not shocking at all.

Kazenji
^ Surprised to see you not doing a anti-DC rant.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Kazenji
^ Surprised to see you not doing a anti-DC rant. I am not anti DC I am anti DC fanboys. I do prefer marvel but that's no secret.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.