Why is The Eternal Champion from TES: Arena presumed so weak?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
I mean, he did defeat Jagar Tharn, who's life force was infused with arguably the MOST POWERFUL weapon in the history of the Elder Scrolls, and that was (Depending on what you picked) with what would be considered very Low-Level gear due to TES: Skyrim, if I remember correctly, you usually had the typical imperial outfit at the end of Arena, the game may be bad, but Talin (The Eternal Champion) is honestly my favorite protagonist, and there's no reason to think his strength hasn't grown since Arena. Most of you may think I'm ranting due to my recent post where everyone said Dovahkiin could defeat him, but I assure you, that's not the case, I'm just saying he is more powerful then everyone thinks, imagine The Eternal Champion in full Daedric Armor then, with an added bonus of a Daedric Greatsword (or just plain Daedric Sword) Now, let's put him against Jagar Tharn again and see how horribly Jagar Tharn gets beaten in mere seconds. I say he is about the third strongest protagonist in the series, right below Dovahkiin and CoC. Your opinion's may differ, but this is mine.

Stealth Moose
I wouldn't use the term "low level gear" in any kind of stance, because that's reflecting game-play mechanics. The Eternal Champion could be a buck-naked Dunmer; we simply don't know. If gear makes the champ, my Hero of Kvatch/Sheogorath Stand-In is as powerful as the Eternal Champion because he can outfight anything in Cyrodiil with his Daedric Armor of +10 Whatever. Or if you're basing feats on it, the Nerevarine can potentially kill three god-like figures, only two of which were needed to defeat Mehrunes Dagon.

Nerevarine >>>>> Martin Septim and Akatosh.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
I wouldn't use the term "low level gear" in any kind of stance, because that's reflecting game-play mechanics. The Eternal Champion could be a buck-naked Dunmer; we simply don't know. If gear makes the champ, my Hero of Kvatch/Sheogorath Stand-In is as powerful as the Eternal Champion because he can outfight anything in Cyrodiil with his Daedric Armor of +10 Whatever. Or if you're basing feats on it, the Nerevarine can potentially kill three god-like figures, only two of which were needed to defeat Mehrunes Dagon.

Nerevarine >>>>> Martin Septim and Akatosh. By that logic, wouldn't that put the Neravarine above Talos, and since everyone puts the CoC above the Nevavarine, that would make the CoC the most powerful person in the history of TES lore. What my point is... We see their story, but we don't know what happened after Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, etc. We have no idea what sort of true skill The Eternal Champion had due to his story, and we have no idea if Jagar Tharn could kill Alduin, or, with the Staff of Chaos, even Talos or any other god. We don't know what they can do past their story, though this argument is inadequete seeing as this could defend most Video Game protagonists period.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Jmanghan
By that logic, wouldn't that put the Neravarine above Talos,

Talos is a bit undefined really. Since he's not a protagonist we don't know what parts of his life are valid as they're all second-hand sources handed down through time. The only thing we can say really is that Talos is divine (his appearance in Morrowind proves as much). Thalmor can suck it.

Who is everyone? "Everyone else says" is not any kind of assertion. It's just parroting something you heard that we can't substantiate. The Champion of Cyrodiil IS the Hero of Kvatch, the Savior of Bruma, and Sheogorath.

The only way in which he could be more powerful than the Nerevarine is within his daedric realm, really. Both of them have "game mechanic access to different tiers of spells, weapons, armor, etc.". Either could be an amazing battlemage, a powerful thief archetype, or a tank-like soldier. Using the only established baseline we have, what they did, is the best measurement.

Sincerely doubt it. Even a Greybeard would rip CoC in half.

That's the crux of the debate though. We don't know a lot of details. What we do know is inferred, unless it is explicitly backed up by subsequent lore in later games.

Regarding the Nerevarine, we know conclusively that he killed Dagoth Ur and Almalexia, both demigods. Dagoth Ur solo chased off Sotha Sil, Vivec, and Almalexia when they tried to renew their powers at the Heart of Lorkhan. Previously, Almalexia and Sotha Sil defeated Mehrunes Dagon.

We consider that the Nerevarine may have possibly killed Vivec, but we don't know for sure. Vivec disappeared after the events of Morrowind and is presumed dead or in the hands of daedra after the Oblivion Crisis. I personally think it's odd that both figures disappeared. Sequel bait, probably.

So the question is, did The Eternal Champion curbstomp using his own physical ability?

Nope. The Staff of Chaos did all of the work, he merely assembled it. At least the Nerevarine killed two, possibly three demigods in single combat.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Stealth Moose

Nerevarine >>>>> Martin Septim and Akatosh.

You are aware that they only defeated a weaker avatar of Mehrunes Dagon, right?

Stealth Moose

Jmanghan

NemeBro

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by NemeBro
The entire plot of Oblivion.

Dagon can't manifest fully on Nirn while the Dragonfires are lit. Which they were.

First off, I hope you realize that this:

Is a complete and utter joke and my entire point of using it was to showcase how heroes are hard to really stack up against each other.

Second, where specifically does it say this? The Dragonfires prevent daedric invasion, but I don't recall anything about diminishing powers (although it makes sense they can only manifest so much).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.