Exar Kun & Uliq-Qel Droma vs Darth Bane & Darth Zannah

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Intrepid37
Team 1: Exar Kun & Uliq-Qel Droma

Team 2: Darth Bane & Darth Zannah

Scenario: Bane is aging because of his heavy use of the dark side and the years with the orbalisks attached to him, so he is looking to learn the secret of Essence Transfer. He tells Zannah of her quest and promises to share the secret if she travels with him back in time to gather the information from Exar Kun. But Kun is unwilling to let go; he seeks Uliq-Qel Droma and then proceed to challenge Bane and Zannah; if they kill him and Uliq, he will let go of the secret.

Rules

- Kun is equipped with his amulet blasts.
- Bane is not equipped with his orbalisk armor.
- Morals are on.
- No prep is given.
- Starting distance is 30 meters.
- Victory by death.

Round 1: Location is Ambria.

Round 2: Location is the Invisible Hand

Stealth Moose
Morals are on?

Intrepid37
Yeah, so they fight as they usually do.

Also that's a pretty good OP if I have to say so myself. :P

Stealth Moose
I haven't read the Bane trilogy, so I can't conclusively comment. But it seems like a decent matchup.

Intrepid37
For now, I am thinking that Kun and Uliq edges it out due to slightly superior technical skill, but Bane and Zannah are more powerful and have a bigger arsenal, so I'm not completely sure.

Also, for Bane, he has moved in a blur, fought faster than thought, intercepted pouring raindrops, physically ripped a steel door of its hinges, telekinetically crushed hearts, destroyed a campsite, pulverized organs and bones. His lightning has destroyed rock.

For Zannah, she is about equal to Bane in speed and skill, but is not as physically strong. Telekinetically, she has killed non-Force sensitives with a casual Force push and telepathically, she has used Illusions to hamper Bane and used Sorcery to spawn impervous tendrils.

Nephthys
I'd definitely go with Team 2 for round 1. Zannahs tentacles are so freaking haxxed.

Stealth Moose
Zannah has an edge over Bane in her adeptness with Sith sorcery, IIRC. Something Ulic is slightly familiar with and Kun is proficient with. Regarding speed, comic book characters are impossible to reference. A recent scan of Uliq shows him blocking large-sized blaster fire from Mandalore's personal ship-thing either by virtue of a huge TK bubble or by virtue of moving his saber so fast he blocked what looked like a dozen shots in a few heartbeats. In either case, Uliq's defensive capabilities are very high, and later on he held off a pissed-off Sylvar without the Force, indicating extremely high technical skill and intelligence in fighting.

Kun, for his part, is Uliq's Force superior but his equal in saber combat. Kun's physical strength is immense. He took his double-bladed saber, with his one-hand length hilt, and bashed straight through Vodo's defenses, cleaving the guy in turn. He also tookdown Sylvar with one arm in melee, cleaved Vodo's saber before as a padawan, and held up the chancellor over shoulder height while forcing him to speak for his amusement, while having the entire senate chamber frozen.

Bane is a monster, and without a lot of first-hand knowledge of his lore through the books and comics, I can't say for certain how he ranks against Kun. Against Uliq, he has a Force edge for certain, but sabers may be closer. Zannah may be the weakest link here, perhaps.

ares834
Originally posted by Nephthys
I'd definitely go with Team 2 for round 1. Zannahs tentacles are so freaking haxxed.

Exar Kun is a master of Sith Sorcery. I could easily see him finding a way to dismiss the tentacles. Heck, IIRC he and Kyp conjured tentacles against Luke in those shitty novels.

Nephthys
Bane has some great feats. His speed is such that he's moved fast enough that a room full of Sith failed to keep up with his movements, he's appeared to wield a dozen lightsabers at once from Zannahs perspective, almost blitzed a Jedi Master amped by Battle Meditation and he's blocked every drop of rain from hitting him in a howling storm while dodging any he missed and he has a bunch of other feats. At one point he speeds up his perception so that time freezes.

His TK has disintegrated metal (both in RoT and DoE), his pushes have pulped bones and internal organs and he casually punted a metal celldoor off it hinges with enough force that it flew through the next room and killed someone.

His lightning has disintegrated people (again, in both RoT and DoE) as well as rock in DoE, turned a Drexl into a charred husk, melted blasters and disintegrated a stun net.

Originally posted by ares834
Exar Kun is a master of Sith Sorcery. I could easily see him finding a way to dismiss the tentacles. Heck, IIRC he and Kyp conjured tentacles against Luke in those shitty novels.

Good point. I still think Zannah is probably better than him since she has a lot of knowledge from all the holocrons her and Bane found. But it is likely a bit closer.

Stealth Moose
At one point he speeds up his perception so that time freezes.

Bane is the new incarnation of Zonazo Trace.

The Merchant
Bane and Zannah takes this.

NewGuy01
Round 1: Team 2

Round 2: Team 1

Q99
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Morals are on?

... they have morals?

chilled monkey
Bane has some great feats.

That's true but a few of those feats were at least partly due to circumstances.

His speed is such that he's moved fast enough that a room full of Sith failed to keep up with his movements,

An impressive feat, but the thing is he achieved that speed by using a concentrated burst of power that he had been storing up throughout the duel. I don't think he could do that at the drop of a hat.

he's appeared to wield a dozen lightsabers at once from Zannahs perspective, almost blitzed a Jedi Master amped by Battle Meditation

Both of those were done while Bane was hopped up on orbalisks, an advantage he doesn't have here.

Originally posted by ares834

They did. I agree that Exar Kun's own knowledge and skill with Sith Sorcery should be enough to counter anything Zannah throws at them.

Come on the novels weren't that bad.

Nephthys
Originally posted by chilled monkey
An impressive feat, but the thing is he achieved that speed by using a concentrated burst of power that he had been storing up throughout the duel. I don't think he could do that at the drop of a hat.

True, but this was still very early for Bane. Given how much he grows from here, I doubt he'd need that much preparation to replicate the feat.

Originally posted by chilled monkey
Both of those were done while Bane was hopped up on orbalisks, an advantage he doesn't have here.

Wouldn't Bane not having the extra weight on him even that out?

chilled monkey
True, but this was still very early for Bane. Given how much he grows from here, I doubt he'd need that much preparation to replicate the feat.

That is a very good point. Plus as you pointed out he does have the "blocked every raindrop in a storm" feat which is also pretty amazing.

Wouldn't Bane not having the extra weight on him even that out?

Usually I'd say yes it would, but in this case let's look at what advantages the orbalisks provided:

1) Bane's entire body, save for his head, hands and feet, was covered by a lightsabre-proof shell, allowing him to concentrate almost completely on attacking.

2) The orbalisks actually increase his Force powers.

3) If he does get injured they heal him almost instantly.

4) They also boost his physical strength so its doubtful if the extra weight of the armour hampered him at all.

So no, in this case I don't think being lighter is an even trade-off.

As to who'd win, I'm torn. Bane does have great feats but Exar Kun could pull off some pretty crazy stuff with his Sith sorcery.

Also in terms of lightsabre combat, both are highly skilled swordsmen but one thing to note is that while Bane memorised every technique of the "contemporary" sabrestaff, Kun's weapon is very different to what he's familiar with. I think that would definately be a problem at least.

Intrepid37
In Round 1, while Zannah can use her tendrils thanks to the dark side energies, remember that Kun's blasts are amped as well, so they could be useful.

Q99
I rather like this matchup, I'm thinking about it and I'm not sure where I fall yet.

I don't think it'd be hard for him to adjust.

Exar's best chance is in a force fight, IMO.

Intrepid37
Originally posted by Q99
Exar's best chance is in a force fight, IMO.
Depends. On the Invisible Hand his blasts are significantly less dangerous than on Ambria because of the lack of dark side energies to fuel them with. Bane, on the other hand, possesses very powerful lightning which Kun obviously could evade, but it still might trouble him. Both have displayed Drain, but there were circumstances to this; Kun did it when surrounded by the dark energies coming from the Massassi temple, while Bane amplified his own power with the help of a Andeddu's temple. Bane is more powerful telekinetically, though. His raw power is greater than anything Kun has ever shown, and if he gets the opportunity to unleash a Force wave, then it could potentially prove fatal for Kun. On Ambria, Kun would likely win due to the immense power that the amulets have shown when enhanced by nexus powers.

Intrepid37
I'm having an interesting discussion on this fight on Comic Vine if anyone is interested.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Intrepid37
Depends. On the Invisible Hand his blasts are significantly less dangerous than on Ambria because of the lack of dark side energies to fuel them with. Bane, on the other hand, possesses very powerful lightning which Kun obviously could evade, but it still might trouble him. Both have displayed Drain, but there were circumstances to this; Kun did it when surrounded by the dark energies coming from the Massassi temple, while Bane amplified his own power with the help of a Andeddu's temple. Bane is more powerful telekinetically, though. His raw power is greater than anything Kun has ever shown, and if he gets the opportunity to unleash a Force wave, then it could potentially prove fatal for Kun. On Ambria, Kun would likely win due to the immense power that the amulets have shown when enhanced by nexus powers.

I think you're giving far too much credit to the nexus with regards to Kun's amulet blasts. I already argued with scans that the blasts concentrate Kun's own rage and manifest as the blasts. At no point are they indicated as drawing on the nexus.

Intrepid37
I think you're giving far too much credit to the nexus with regards to Kun's amulet blasts. I already argued with scans that the blasts concentrate Kun's own rage and manifest as the blasts. At no point are they indicated as drawing on the nexus.
I, Jedi says that the temples helped him focus its power.

Stealth Moose
I, Jedi says that the temples helped him focus its power.

Kun doesn't use amulet blasts in I, Jedi, and at the time he is dead, needing its focusing powers to retain shape and affect reality. The idea that his wraith-like spirit is using the amulets is laughable.

Intrepid37
He said that the temples were designed to help him focus the power.

Stealth Moose
Kun doesn't use amulet blasts in I, Jedi, and at the time he is dead, needing its focusing powers to retain shape and affect reality. The idea that his wraith-like spirit is using the amulets is laughable.

Dude, learn to read. Kun's amulet blasts predate the building of his temples and the later absorption of the massassi race into those temples to keep Kun alive through the Jedi bombardment.

Intrepid37
I don't even understand what you're saying. English isn't my first language.

Stealth Moose
Kun doesn't use amulet blasts in I, Jedi, and at the time he is dead, needing its focusing powers to retain shape and affect reality. The idea that his wraith-like spirit is using the amulets is laughable. Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Dude, learn to read. Kun's amulet blasts predate the building of his temples and the later absorption of the massassi race into those temples to keep Kun alive through the Jedi bombardment.

None of that is rocket science. It just strikes me that you don't know what you're talking about, since you keep arguing the use of temples which didn't exist when Kun first used his amulet.

1. Kun, when alive, uses amulet blasts upon gaining the amulet. The blasts increase in power exponentially, and nothing is mentioned about temples, nexi, or anything.

2. Within the next half year after this, Kun has thousands of Massassi build him hundreds of temples to focus Dark Side energy. He then kills all of them and absorbs their life energy into a ritual to live forever, but the Wall of Light emitted from the Jedi Order in orbit of Yavin IV prevents this. Instead, he is effectively shackled to the planet and others are deaf to his presence.

3. By the time of I, Jedi, Kun is a dead spirit, trapped in limbo beneath Yavin IV''s surface, in one of his temples, and uses that residual energy along with Kyp and others to fuel his weaker powers. At this point, he explicitly points out that he needs the temples to maintain form and affect things. The amulets are not in use because he has no physical body. To the best of my knowledge, they are not even used in the storyline.

Intrepid37
Yavin 4, it turned out, had been the seat of power of a formidable Dark Lord of the Sith, a fallen Jedi known as Exar Kun. He had been seduced to the dark side when he studied the ways of the Sith and incorporated their magics into his manipulation of the Force. He had come to Yavin 4 and had enslaved the Massassi people. He used them to create all the temples on the world to help focus his power.

Nephthys
Exar Kun's amulet feats come from before he built those temples.

Intrepid37
What are the comics where he's in called?

Nephthys
Tales of the Jedi.

Intrepid37
You think amulets would have any effect on Zannah's tendrils?

Nephthys
Possibly. Kun used it to kill a Sith ghost at one point.

Stealth Moose
Yavin 4, it turned out, had been the seat of power of a formidable Dark Lord of the Sith, a fallen Jedi known as Exar Kun. He had been seduced to the dark side when he studied the ways of the Sith and incorporated their magics into his manipulation of the Force. He had come to Yavin 4 and had enslaved the Massassi people. He used them to create all the temples on the world to help focus his power.

This reads like copy/paste. You should find the original comics. There's a Russian website somewhere which hosts them all. They're not terribly great quality reads, but Nomi, Kun and Uliq are interesting.

Based
Ulic.*

Intrepid37
This reads like copy/paste. You should find the original comics. There's a Russian website somewhere which hosts them all. They're not terribly great quality reads, but Nomi, Kun and Uliq are interesting.
It's from the book.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.