Paint

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wonder Man
I'm just starting to like modern art?
What do you like?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Wonder Man
I'm just starting to like modern art?
What do you like?

What modern artists do you like?

siriuswriter
Meet Shakyamunison - the guy who always answers a question with a question... smile

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Meet Shakyamunison - the guy who always answers a question with a question... smile

Not always. stick out tongue I just didn't know if he meant art that is contemporary or art from the "modern period" which was over 100 years ago.

Wonder Man
I don't really know the Artists. I just like the style.

Shakyamunison
I don't really know the Artists. I just like the style.

Can you give a link to one or two? I have an art degree, and I might be able to identify the style and artist.

Lexington
Art can be a broad concept these days.

Wonder Man
just google modern art.
It's really spectacular looking.

Shakyamunison
Like this one?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/Henri_de_Toulouse-Lautrec_028.jpg

Lord Lucien
I've done questionable things in the name of art... I'd rather not talk about it.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I've done questionable things in the name of art... I'd rather not talk about it.

laughing Did you pose nude for a class?

I took my first life drawing class because I wanted to see nude girls. Three years later I was winning scholarships for my life drawings. That was a long time ago.

Lexington
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
laughing Did you pose nude for a class?

I took my first life drawing class because I wanted to see nude girls. Three years later I was winning scholarships for my life drawings. That was a long time ago.

this sounds cool. I've a talent for photography I'm told....

Wonder Man
This one's nice.

Shakyamunison
This one's nice.

That looks post modern.

Stealth Moose
How can anything be 'post-modern'? That's like being post-now, or post-tomorrow.

This is amusing coming from a former artist, but I find a lot of art pretentious and the only art I respect is either the product of painstaking dedicated long work (like sculptures, towers, carvings etc.) or are far more realistic. Even art which depicts fictional events such as a fantasy book cover or a recreation of the crowning of King Arthur is good art if it looks real and is a product of great skill.

Slapping some paint on a canvas and making vaguely humanoid figures and calling it 'art' reminds me too much of Sander Cohen.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
How can anything be 'post-modern'? That's like being post-now, or post-tomorrow.

This is amusing coming from a former artist, but I find a lot of art pretentious and the only art I respect is either the product of painstaking dedicated long work (like sculptures, towers, carvings etc.) or are far more realistic. Even art which depicts fictional events such as a fantasy book cover or a recreation of the crowning of King Arthur is good art if it looks real and is a product of great skill.

Slapping some paint on a canvas and making vaguely humanoid figures and calling it 'art' reminds me too much of Sander Cohen.

Postmodern art is a body of art movements that sought to contradict some aspects of modernism or some aspects that emerged or developed in its aftermath. In general, movements such as Intermedia, Installation art, Conceptual Art and Multimedia, particularly involving video are described as postmodern.

There are several characteristics which lend art to being postmodern; these include bricolage, the use of words prominently as the central artistic element, collage, simplification, appropriation, performance art, the recycling of past styles and themes in a modern-day context, as well as the break-up of the barrier between fine and high arts and low art and popular culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodern_art

The reason I guessed Postmodern art was the diagonal horizon line.

Stealth Moose
I was being silly. I know what post-modern art is; I just simply think much of it is rubbish and the title is as well. A lot of artists think you can just do something chaotic and rather simple and call it art, and then a bunch of other pretentious people will pay large sums of money to view it or buy it, etc.

Real art is about passion, skill, and dedication. That has meaning to me. It shows me that an artist isn't just creative but is a professional and should be respected for their craft. Most of post-modern art just doesn't have any of those qualities. It's a lot of abstract shapes and splashes of gaudy color masquerading as "deeper meaning", or expected to be interpreted in some way that appeals to the viewer.

Besides, art deco > post-modern. If you're going to go for lesser realism and emphasis on geometric shapes, at least have some taste.

Shakyamunison
But when I first learned about Postmodern art, I was saying to myself, WTF.

Stealth Moose
http://clicks.robertgenn.com/images/2007/070607/duchamp-fountain.jpg

/thread

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
http://clicks.robertgenn.com/images/2007/070607/duchamp-fountain.jpg

/thread

laughing

Shakyamunison
This is Betty LaDuke

http://www.bettyladuke.com/celebrating-life/

She was one of my teachers when I was in art school.

The link is not working.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
This is Betty LaDuke

http://www.bettyladuke.com/celebrating-life/

She was one of my teachers when I was in art school.

The link is not working.

I right clicked and viewed in another tab. Works fine for me.

It looks very tribal in some ways. Aesthetically, some of it resembles artwork I saw in New Mexico. But brighter colors.

jaden101
I like stuff like Jason De Graaf. Amazing stuff.

Wonder Man
It's good that art is availble to everyone.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.