Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison
I was looking for examples of were Buddhism and the teaching of Jesus overlap. Notice I didn't say Christianity, because I don't think that Christianity follows the teachings of Jesus. Just look at some of the vile posts made by some of the Christians on this forum. Anyway, I found this short article and I was quite pleased. I thought it might be nice to share this with my friends for discussion. I know there will be despicable things said about me from Christians for posting this, but don't let that get in the way.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2000/02/Jesus-And-Buddha-The-Parallel-Sayings.aspx

Shakyamunison
I believe that Jesus traveled to India during the missing years. He then learned Buddhism, and returned home with a great gift, the teachings of Buddhism that could free his people. However, they did not understand him, and then they put him to death. Those people who heard the teachings but did not understand, corrupted his teachings and formed Christianity.

Lord Lucien
Though the phrasing is very specific for these two, the sentiment their sayings express are pretty basic and easily considered. The specific applications of their religions aside, they generally preach being a nice person, not being a prick, personal harmony in emotion, and the spreading of said ideas as a means of peace. Not often heeded, granted, but basic and easy to understand vagueries that would appeal to most people prima facie.

Jesus could very well have encountered Buddhism, but I think the fundamental sentiments in these tenets are universally understood throughout most societies--if not always universally applied. It would have been easy for him to echo them in his own manner.

Though the image of Jesus meditating under a Bohdi tree is kinda awesome.

Shakyamunison
Wrong thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.