Multiverse

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jim Colyer
http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=463;fa=4

The theory that our universe may be one of an infinite number of universes has gained popularity. The idea was put forth by Alan Guth (gooth) at Sanford University in 1979. Two Russian cosmologists, Andrei Linde and Alexander Vilenkin, also take the theory seriously. According to multiverse theory, there are countless Big Bangs before and after ours. New universes are always coming into existence. Big Bangs are caused by "repulsive gravity" as energy and space-time move outward. Expansion begins with inflation, a period during which universes expand faster than light. If we could turn off all stars and galaxies, we would see a sea of radiation left over from our own Big Bang. In fact, the COBE and WMAP spacecrafts have detected and mapped this cosmic background radiation.

Alan Guth put the multiverse idea on the shelf for a while. Linde continued to publish. Multiverse proponents contend that "eternal inflation" and dark energy point to a multiverse. Each universe has a different value of dark energy. String theory, too, lends credence to a multiverse. String theory suggests that there may be more dimensions than height, width and depth. At least that is what Guth and Linde think. There may be exact duplicates of ourselves in parallel universes. Naturally, there are scoffers, scientists who believe the multiverse is science fiction. Still, there are those who think the multiverse may be the next Copernican Revolution.

Max Tegmark is a Swedish cosmologist at MIT. He thinks there are at least 4 different kinds of parallel universes and has published articles about them. High-level physics can be pretty speculative.

Astner
Originally posted by Jim Colyer
The theory
In the loosest definition of the word.

Bardock42
You can't disprove it, man!

Insomniatric
If it's true, then that means Batman is a real person in another universe, as well as every other super hero.

We got the lame universe.

Astner
Originally posted by Insomniatric
No. You got me.

Insomniatric
Ahh of course, of course.

Shakyamunison
If it's true, then that means Batman is a real person in another universe, as well as every other super hero.

Yes, if there is a rich me in another universe, why do I have to live in the universe were I am middle class. I guess it is better then the universe where I am poor.

DrDeadpool

Actually its WAY more complicated than that , what you and the op are referring to is parallel universes which has it's flaws and one of them is butterfly effect. But the Multiverse theory is different than parallel universes !!.Multiverse theory says there are other universes with different rules of Physics !! So imagining them or living within them is totally impossible for us because we are the result of this universe so we obey its rules !! Parallel universes theory is more like different time lines with every possibility of that you can imagine, yes one them maybe includes Batman!!
But Multiverses is more valid and scientific and there are evidences of their existence.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.