Media

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Supra
Friend or Foe?

BackFire
In what way? It's too vague a question to answer meaningfully.

Supra
News Media are they for us or against us political affiliation's aside. Are they simply ambiguous to keep us all guessing?

Supra
Take a look at Obama Care, is it all smoke in mirrors by the mdeia or are they actually trying to help us?

BackFire
Most of the news media here in the states are about entertainment first, and news second, if at all. Occasionally they try to bring objective information to the viewers but usually they are just trying to get ratings, and they know that dry news won't bring in very high ratings.

It's true for TV channels, at least. Some online sources are more reliable for information based news, rather than fluff or attempts to generate/exploit silly controversy.

Supra
Originally posted by BackFire
Most of the news media here in the states are about entertainment first, and news second, if at all. Occasionally they try to bring objective information to the viewers but usually they are just trying to get ratings, and they know that dry news won't bring in very high ratings.

It's true for TV channels, at least. Some online sources are more reliable for information based news, rather than fluff or attempts to generate/exploit silly controversy.

I watch CNN the change it to fox, they are completely saying different things but in the end. They are both getting what they want. A captive audience.

I feel they are only reporting the news we want to hear, not what we actually need to hear.

Then when the channel is over, its on to the next topic and I don't feel like any thing actually changed. Just a bunch of empty words spoken and when America has hear enough trolling on the media they turn on American Idol or some other bs show to take their minds of the load of crap they just heard an hour before

Nothing actually happened. Nothing Changed, everything just is the same.

They tell us what we want to hear, and not what we need to hear.

Then I turn off the TV disillusioned as to the truth.

Bardock42
There are facts out there though. And CNN and Fox are not comparable. CNN has it's issues with it's ridiculous understanding of being "objective", which is just staying in the middle always (when really they should say what is true). But Fox just outright lies. They are not a news organisation at all, they are a propaganda network.

Stealth Moose
CNN and Fox are diametrically opposed so that lazy viewers can find the reaffirming BS they are most comfortable with instead of thinking for themselves.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
CNN and Fox are diametrically opposed so that lazy viewers can find the reaffirming BS they are most comfortable with instead of thinking for themselves.

Well, if you mean that in the way that I said, that one is a news organization and the other a propaganda machine, then yes. If you mean they are politically opposites, then that is not true.

siriuswriter
This would be why I get my news from NPR. smile

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, if you mean that in the way that I said, that one is a news organization and the other a propaganda machine, then yes. If you mean they are politically opposites, then that is not true.

I might be thinking of MSNBC. They're all rubbish if you ask me. If I want news, I'll look elsewhere. Even BBC is more of a 'current events' news company than anything.

Originally posted by siriuswriter
This would be why I get my news from NPR. smile

thumb up

NPR tells you stuff you just don't even hear elsewhere, and they're pretty level headed about it.

Bardock42
MSNBC is a bit more opinionated, but it's not the other side of the coin from Fox News. Fox News is in a league of its own, because it is actively spreading misinformation. They know when they lie and do it anyways.

And NPR is excellent.

BackFire
Originally posted by Bardock42
There are facts out there though. And CNN and Fox are not comparable. CNN has it's issues with it's ridiculous understanding of being "objective", which is just staying in the middle always (when really they should say what is true). But Fox just outright lies. They are not a news organisation at all, they are a propaganda network.

I believe this hits the nail on the head.

I posted this on facebook last night, will repost it here because it's relevant and emblematic of what is wrong uniquely with Fox News:

I was watching Fox News for a bit earlier today, and one of the anchors was talking about Obamacare, and their "expert guest" was a priest of some kind, because if anyone is an expert on scientific medical procedure or systems of providing health care to people in an efficient manner, it's holy men/magicians/white mages.

He was doing the normal Fox News thing of saying the system is not American and so on, nothing really unexpected. Then he went and did something amazing and compared forcing everyone to buy healthcare with forcing everyone to become a member of the NRA. Based on the similarity of "some people wouldn't be happy with with that".

The argument is almost brilliant in its idiocy.

Stealth Moose
The sad part is that a large majority of the voting elderly watch Fox News, because they equate traditional values and conservative views with wholesome good 'Murica.

siriuswriter
Or worse, listen to Rush Limbaugh. The last place I lived, I was next to an elderly man who was partially deaf. He started playing it at 5.30 am, and the walls in this place weren't that thick.
I just ended up playing Bad Religion and Pixies all day to try and cover the madness. Oh, and the landlord was completely Rebup too. He used to take me to medical appointments, and we got to listen to Rush in the car.

BackFire
Sometimes I wonder if Rush Limbaugh is actually just a brilliant parody of the GOP. I would love it that turned out to be true.

Supra
Rush is a drug addict that's all he is.

Bardock42
an elderly man who was partially deaf.

Coincidentally also a description of Rush Limbaugh himself

Stealth Moose
Or worse, listen to Rush Limbaugh. The last place I lived, I was next to an elderly man who was partially deaf. He started playing it at 5.30 am, and the walls in this place weren't that thick.
I just ended up playing Bad Religion and Pixies all day to try and cover the madness. Oh, and the landlord was completely Rebup too. He used to take me to medical appointments, and we got to listen to Rush in the car.

I had to reread this twice before I realized you weren't talking about the band Rush.

Rush Limbaugh is bafflingly dishonest.

Supra
Fox is a bunch of liars and promotes fear.

Lexington
Depends.... Fox vs CNN.. The Daily show is awesome (for a news parody show they make surprisingly can make a good point at times, kinda like South Park)

Stealth Moose
The Colbert Report is pretty much a parody of Bill O'Reilly.

BackFire
Who in himself is an unintentional parody of himself.

Supra
Originally posted by Lexington
Depends.... Fox vs CNN.. The Daily show is awesome (for a news parody show they make surprisingly can make a good point at times, kinda like South Park)

This confirms my thoughts, media is a joke no matter who's telling it. It changes nothing, at the ned of the day, its all a joke to keep us laughing while they hide the real deals that screw us.

Wonder Man
I think we are all influenced by what we like.
It's the responsibility of the viewer to check the facts.

Supra
More crap on fox

Lord Lucien
So stop watching it.

Supra
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
So stop watching it.

To be informed of all the bs you must watch it and decipher the lies and find the truths from all of it. And don't tell me what to do.

Lexington
Originally posted by Supra
To be informed of all the bs you must watch it and decipher the lies and find the truths from all of it. And don't tell me what to do.

great comeback! thumb up

P-Geyser
Originally posted by Supra

thumb up thumb up thumb up

Stealth Moose
I'm not sure why that, of all posts on this website, receives such decisive feedback.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.