Firewall issue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
Something that has changed in the last few hours has made it impossible for me to read any pages here whilst my firewall is on. Any ideas what, Raz?

Raz
What firewall are you using?

Only thing changed is a new adcode.

Ushgarak
Norton's. Bloody annoying, I can't seem to find any way around it.

Raz
Have you got the adblocker/popupstopper thingie running?
It might not like the new ad thingie.

I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall, its great, its free, and its not causing any problems!

Ushgarak
Nah, got no blocking stuff like that. Hmmm...

Raz
Has it improved? I just re-arranged some stuff.

Ushgarak
I shall check...

Ushgarak
Afraid not. Odd.

Raz
Does your log show any unusual activity? i.e. any blocking going on.

Ushgarak
Nah. Just only the pics at the top of the page load until I turn off the firewall, and then everything else loads.

Oh, I can load the main page ok with it on.

Raz
Seems like a bug in the firewall. Try upgrading.

A firewall shouldn't prevent you from viewing html.

Ushgarak
Can't upgrade without cash. Any idea why it has suddenly started causing trouble now but not before?

Raz
Haven't got the foggiest.

Why don't you kill Norton and use the "better": http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

'Tis free.

Ushgarak
Ah, well, my Dad bought Norton, see, and it his his connection, really (well, he pays for it)... it's kinda difficult...

Corran
Thanks for this Raz, I was going to ask if anyone had any ideas about a firewall. Is the spy sweeper alson worth downloading.

Raz
That one is subscription-based and I have never used it.

For spy-ware detection, I would recommend using Adaware: http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

Free as all good things are wink

Corran
Raz I installed the sygate thing but I think I was over zealous in blocking things, KMC is the only thing I can access now (not quite, but close enough). How do I unblock Stuff?

Raz
Double-click Sygate icon->Click Applications Icon->Remove All

BTW, don't block Windows services. You need them to make parts of Windows work properly.

Corran
Fanx mate.

mechmoggy
I tried downloading it but it wouldn't work, something about a problem with quicktime popped up.

I know nothing. sad

Raz
Not really enough info to help you on that one.

If you post the exact message, I might be able to help.

Ushgarak
I seem to have caused a lot of complication...

mechmoggy
I'm not really that bothered Raz, I don't even know what a firewall is. I just thought I'd get it cus it was free.

Cheap bastard. embarrasment

yerssot
firewall basicly helps blocking people (hackers for instance) or programs getting in (or out from time to time)

if you have the money, take McAfee Guardian (at least I know that one exists wink)

Lara
I keep getting the fire wall come up at college and then the whole system crashes, which means I cant do anything! not even do my work! not that I do it any way!
the funny thing is, there should be a way of stopping it affecting the whole IT tower blocks internet connection and crashing the network!

yerssot
deleting it wink

Lara
funny!

yerssot
no, actually, if you log in as admin, you can change these stuff, but otherwise ... no, sorry sad

Lara
now I get the senisble answer, why couldnt you have said that in the first place!

yerssot
because getting rid of the firewall would work too stick out tongue

Lara
if you value your tounge you wouldnt poke it out at me like that! whistle

yerssot
I wanted to offer something which you could totally destroy

Lara
sick !

yerssot
thanks for sparing my tongue stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.