2014 Academy Award Nominees

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/01/16/2014-oscar-nominations-announced/4476513/

What are your predictions?

Who will win?

Who are you routing for?

Firefly218
Chiwetal Ejiofer 12 years a slave or Tom Hanks Captain Phillips will win best actor Oscar.

BruceSkywalker
i suspect American Hustle will win a lot of awards..

individually i think American Hustle has Best Picture..

Chiwetel Ejiofor should win Best Actor

Amy Adams, Best Actress

Jared Leto, Supporting Actor

Jennifer Lawrence, Supporting Actress

David O'Russell, Director

the rest i will say later

wilco
Best Actor

Bale

Best Actress

Amy Adams

Best Supporting actor

Brad Cooper

Best Supporting actress

Jennifer Lawrence

Director

Steve McQueen

marwash22
"American Hustle", much like "Silver Linings Playbook" and "The Fighter", is very overrated.

Good movies, but this David Russell fella must be fellating every member of the Academy 'cause they aren't THAT good.

with that said, American Hustle will win Best Picture and Lawrence will win too.

Firefly218
Alfonso Cuaron deserves best director. I haven't seen American Hustle as of yet, but the Linings Playbook and The Fighter were a little overrated.

dadudemon
I've been reading a lot of negative things about American Hustle which is why I didn't see it in the theater.

Stealth Moose
I thought it was very good, and not at all predictable. I also enjoyed The Fighter though, so I'm apparently in a different category of movie watchers.

Tzeentch
I think 12 Years a Slave has a decent chance of beating out American Hustle, at least for Best Picture. The Oscars tend to be suckers for shit like race-relations. Look at Crash.

edit- American Hustle was a great movie insofar as its characters were all well-acted and fun to watch.

The plot was paper-thin almost non-existent, but the directer himself stated before the film was released that he had no interest in the plot and wanted the audience to focus on the characters. So, yeah.

marwash22
lulz.

BackFire
Best film - 12 Years a Slave

Best actor - Ejiofor

Best actress - Blanchett

Best supporting actor - Jared Leto, though I'd love Fassbender to win.

Best supporting actress - Lupita Nyung'o

Best director - Alfonso Cuaron, though it should be McQueen.

Best original screenplay - Her or American Hustle

Adapted screenplay - 12 Years a Slave

dadudemon
Originally posted by Tzeentch
The plot was paper-thin almost non-existent, but the directer himself stated before the film was released that he had no interest in the plot and wanted the audience to focus on the characters. So, yeah.

That's what everyone has been saying.

I cannot stand movies with crap plots unless they movies were made specifically to have crap plots (like a parody).

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i suspect American Hustle will win a lot of awards..

individually i think American Hustle has Best Picture..

Chiwetel Ejiofor should win Best Actor

Amy Adams, Best Actress

Jared Leto, Supporting Actor

Jennifer Lawrence, Supporting Actress

David O'Russell, Director

the rest i will say later

some more..

best animated feature, The Croods or Frozen

Foreign film, toss up so perhaps The Great Beauty

Original Screenplay, American Hustle or Dallas Buyer's Club

Adapted Screenplay, 12 Years a Slave

Original Score, Gravity

Best Original Song, Let it Go from Frozen

Best Cinematography, Nebraska

Best Costume Design, toss up between American Hustle, 12 Years a Slave and Great Gatsby

Best Documentary Feature, The Act of Killing

Documentary Short, CaveDigger

Film Editing, Gravity

Make-Up, Dallas Buyer's Club

Production Design, American Hustle

Animated Short, Get a Horse

Live Action Short, Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)

Sound Editing, Gravity

Sound Mixing, Gravity

Visual Effects, Gravity

wilco
Originally posted by Firefly218
Alfonso Cuaron deserves best director. I haven't seen American Hustle as of yet, but the Linings Playbook and The Fighter were a little overrated.

The Fighter was a great movie. As for the Silver Linings Playbook, well, my sister has bi-polar. So it resonated for me.

The Fighter was a true story.....in Hollywood methods laughing

Firefly218
Originally posted by wilco
The Fighter was a great movie. As for the Silver Linings Playbook, well, my sister has bi-polar. So it resonated for me.

The Fighter was a true story.....in Hollywood methods laughing

They were good movies, but not as amazing as advertised. That's my opinion at least.

wilco
Originally posted by Firefly218
They were good movies, but not as amazing as advertised. That's my opinion at least.

I was a boxer years ago and my sister has bi-polar, maybe that's why I like those Films.

jaden101
Film: 12 years a slave

Actor: Ejiofor (although I'd like to see Di Caprio finally get a best actor accolade as pretty much everything he's done in the past decade has been brilliant and he has always been overlooked. I just think this year he's up against too many other brilliant performances to win it)

Actress: Dench

Director: Cuaron

The

NemeBro
If Frozen doesn't win Best Animated, I'm killing myself.

For real this time.

Impediment
I haven't seen the film, but I'm kinda taken aback that Jonah Hill is nominated.

Was he THAT good in The Wolf of Wall Street?

jaden101
Not really. ****ing great movie though. Right up my street with regards to depraved humour.

wilco
Originally posted by Impediment
I haven't seen the film, but I'm kinda taken aback that Jonah Hill is nominated.

There is a morning journalist, like the today show - Matt Lauer - anyway, he won't see that Film because the stockbroker who ripped off thousands of people.

Half of his profits from that movie, goes back the those who were affected. He still collects half of the profits.

I don't like the journalist here in Australia, so, I will see it laughing

I didn't get ripped off my that stockbroker anyway

laughing

Woody..................is a pedophile. Chop off his penis! Seriously!

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment

haven;t seen the film yet, but i don;t think it will win too many awards anyway

Darth Martin
Haven't seen American Hustle or Wolf of Wall Street yet but I'm of the opinion that 12 Years A Slave is the best film I've seen in a LONG time to come out recently. Think it should be rewarded in most areas.

A bit dissapointed Hans Zimmer's score for Man of Steel wasn't nominated. Surely, that's better than some of the nominations.

Obviously, Gravity should win visual effects.

Impediment
So, who's gonna win tonight?

Slowpoke
Who is the actress with Mace Windu?

Lexington
Dallas Buyers Club is doing well, great movie, very deserving.

BackFire
Fassbender was robbed. Was much better than Leto.

Lexington
all these movies deal with great amounts of emotion and trauma this year, we had Dallas Buyers, 12 years a slave, Captain Phillips and the Wolf of Wall Street. I feel bad for Leo, can't see it happening this year....

Lexington
Congrats to Lupita Nyong'o, what a performance

Lexington
Looks like Gravity is wining all the Oscars this year. It was good but not great IMO.

BackFire
It's winning the technical awards, which isn't all that surprising.

Lexington
Oh man, Matthew Mcconaughey, got it! Fantastic! Poor Leo though, maybe next time!

Stealth Moose
http://25.media.tumblr.com/3a6e30983f0bab67a105d590f169f8ba/tumblr_n1qv61U7ZU1qcnhxqo1_500.gif

BackFire
Glad 12 Years won, thought McQueen deserved best director and Ejiofor deserved best actor, though.

The Renegade
Fassbender's snub was utterly ridiculous. The attention Leto's performance renders is also utterly ridiculous. I'm also turned off that they couldn't find an actual transgender actor to portray Leto's character. Within the realm of relevancy, I found Leto's performance a bit off, anyway.

I would say it isn't "Oscar worthy" but I don't recognize the Awards show. I think it's an expensive popularity contest masquerading as a one night game of famous-people-dress-up. Hell, it could be vice versa.

killerqueen83
Matthew McConaughey deserves this award like noone in Hollywood. He was great as Ron Woodroof

killerqueen83
Bookies predicted all the winners.

Firefly218
Leo deserves an Oscar

COG Veteran
All these awards were pretty deserving.

Apparently Leo will never get an Oscar but we all know he's the best anyway.

Tzeentch
Don't be sad, Leo. You were competing against gay rights and white guilt. Maybe next year will be the year that acting talent is the criteria for winning a best actor award.

Personally, I wanted Eli to win. Ah well.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Don't be sad, Leo. You were competing against gay rights and white guilt. Maybe next year will be the year that acting talent is the criteria for winning a best actor award.

Personally, I wanted Eli to win. Ah well.

I lol'd.

Estacado
Gravity is overrated it doesnt deserve shit.

dadudemon
Leonardo DeCraprio did not win an oscar. Too bad, dude. You'll get them next year (probably not...).

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Estacado
Gravity is overrated it doesnt deserve shit.

While Gravity's story isn't particularly noteworthy, the effects at least should have own. Best director though, I disagree with; Captain Philips probably should have gotten it.

Estacado
thumb up
Captain Phillips was a much better movie.

Firefly218
Gravity deserved the technical awards

Estacado
Leonardo DiCaprio campaign song...
Xe0QbINFcQk

Lauren2
For me he surely deserved it this time for his magnificent performance in "The Wolf of Wall Street". Amazing to see that the movie didn't get a single award.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.