Question about The Two Towers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sentinelrv
In The Two Towers, when they are in the swamp, smeagul says not to look at the lights or something. Then Frodo stares at a dead body in the water and falls in. He sees ghosts and they try to get him until he is pulled out of the water. What the heck is that all about? I don't understand it at all. And what lights is he talking about? I don't see any.

Mujaffa
read the book..first of all..
the light of souls...that will consume the ones who gets lost in the swamps..
something like that..

sentinelrv
I am reading the books, but I haven't got to the second one yet.

turin
Well in the battle at the start of Fellowship of the Ring they burried, or kind of thats where the fell thats where they stay kind of thing, they burried the dead in those swamps. a lot of elves, men, and orcs were killed there(though at that time it wasnt a swamp) after the battle, the swamp started to spread and it consumed the graves. now i dont know why the spirits are still there perhaps the spirits were in a state of unrest or the swamps were kind of overtaken by evil spirits (kind of like the barrow downs), but i guess the spirits are always trying to capture more spirits and they use the lights to "entrance" other victims. I dont have my books handy so maybe Ush can help here but i think it is just the lights of their eyes, or souls?

TrixStar
I dont remember the lights being in the books. But that could be all the bong resin and malt and hopps on my brain.

Captain REX
The spirits are brought about by Sauron, I do believe. Ya know, to scare off unwanted people and unneeded tourists.

The lights in the movie are the fires on the swamp. I thought that was pretty obvious, unless you think all swamps burn like that...

turin
all swamps around here burn like that, dont yours? j/k

Captain REX
laughing out loud

Kiwi_Elf
The Last Alliance between Men and Elves was fought at Dagorlad. Many Elves perished mostly Silvan Elves under the leadership of King Oropher they were cut off from the rest of the allied forces... most were buried there and like Turin said "swamp started to spread and it consumed the graves." 2/3 of King Orophers host perished and Thranduil took the rest of the Silvan elves back to Greenwood and became their new King.

turin
I heard a rumor (hopefully not true) but the paths of the dead in the movie is going to take place in the dead marshes. dont get exactly how they are going to work that one but hopefully it aint true.

Captain REX
That probably won't be true. Otherwise Aragorn would be headed for Mordor.

thelotrlovr15
the lights are there to guide ppl through the swamp...

The orcs pass through there....

Captain REX
Actually, the Orcs hate going through there. And Gollum tells Sam and Frodo to look away from the lights. Frodo disobeys and falls in the swamp. Stupid hobbit...

turin
Heres a question that has plagued me since i saw the film. at helms deep there was a lot of elves. when the wall was breeched theoden yells at aragorn to get his men inside the keep. you see a lot of elves run up the stairs ahead of aragorn and some even dragged gimli in. well then that is it, you dont see the elves for the rest of the time in helms deep. you dont see them holding the doors, you dont see them in that hall, there just gone. what happened to them?

Captain REX
Hmm, I'd have to see the movie again.

Most of the men and Elves rushed back to form a defense of the women and children, or so I believe.

mah
they die?

turin
well thats what i thought, but when i saw it again a lot of them made it up the stairway before aragorn did. i think it is probably just something PJ missed but for cohesion of the film i am going to assume they were above the hall leading into the caves firing arrows out the windows. it was probably intended that they all die, but that isnt what was shown.

Captain REX
There were only 200 of them after all.

Rin
I don't believe they ALL died. Peter Jackson-the-Idiot probably forgot about them or he didn't want to waste time with showing their fate. I have the same theory with REX. They weren't even supposed to be there.. Stupid, stupid Peter Jackson. Ah well, can't have it all.

noodles
I thought that they had just gone to the pub.

turin
ya after a hard days work of slaying uruk-hai nothing tastes better then a nice frosty one.

noodles
and so say all of us!

cermiestar
la la la la la love LOTR

billyboyd4ever
yea, does it say that in the book either, that part is a bit foggy at the moment. thats a good point though turin. if anyone can find that out post it!

chica16
how were the elves at helm's deep anyways... weren't they fighting a war of their own?

Adumarwen
Okay, chica16, there are elves fighting their war but some came and helped the Rohan.

My quotemessedhall I find you a box?

Orlando Bloom is a hott!!

turin
Well in the book, there was no elves at helm's deep. It wasnt till after that any showed up and then there was only two of them who came with the rangers, elohir and elodan, elrond's sons.

Fire
I think it was a nice touch a very nice touch
it changes the story a bit, but I dont mind it
it was only sad that they indeed kinda vanished after the wall was breeched

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.