Smaug VS GoT Dragons

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Epicurus
Smaug(from the movies) the Desolator

VS

All the dragons(minus Dany's hatchlings) from the ASOIAF books in the following gauntlet:

1)Vhagar
2)Meraxes
3)All the dragons which took part in the first Dance of Dragons
4)Balerion

In order to compensate for their lack of intelligence compared to Smaug, each and every dragon here is being piloted by their respective Targaryen rider.

For a reference to the book dragons, click on this link.

KingD19
Balerion was the biggest, and being big enough to swallow a mammoth whole is pretty huge. I think that would make him bigger than Smaug.

Epicurus
Originally posted by KingD19
Balerion was the biggest, and being big enough to swallow a mammoth whole is pretty huge. I think that would make him bigger than Smaug.
Movie Smaug was definitely larger than what Tolkien intended Smaug's size to be while writing the Hobbit.

I'd say a couple hundred feet long, with his eye alone being the size of Bilbo iirc. That's easily in the same ballpark sizewise as Balerion.

NemeBro
Smaug has been scaled to be about 200 feet long, from nose to the tip of his tail. He is also far smarter than Balerion, and probably has better feats. Since, you know, we actually see him do things, lol.

KingD19
Is it? Size stuff hasn't always been my strongsuit.

Well that makes things easier to think about.

I believe since the GoT dragons were killed off by normal people(maybe with siege weapons), that's a big weakness exploitable by Smaug simply ripping into them.

And while they might be immune to most fire, I doubt they'd be fully immune to his, which burns really damn hot. However I can say the inverse could be true, as he's durable enough to withstand molten gold.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Epicurus
Movie Smaug was definitely larger than what Tolkien intended Smaug's size to be while writing the Hobbit. Dunno about all that. Smaug in the books did shit like physically crumble the side of the Lonely Mountain by ramming it.

Keep in mind that the source for Balerion's size is Tyrion who... Has never actually seen a dragon, nor has he seen a mammoth for that matter.

Utrigita
I think Smaug will take this, I'm a bit confused over what version of Smaugh we are using though, the one from the movie or the one from the books or both?

Epicurus
^Read the OP.

Epicurus
Originally posted by NemeBro
Dunno about all that. Smaug in the books did shit like physically crumble the side of the Lonely Mountain by ramming it.

Keep in mind that the source for Balerion's size is Tyrion who... Has never actually seen a dragon, nor has he seen a mammoth for that matter.
IIRC, movie Smaug performed a similar(if not the very same) feat, when he went charging out of the mountain after getting submerged in molten gold.

NemeBro
Could be, I'd have to re-watch the scene.

Also, I should note that G.R.R.M. himself thinks Smaug (Books anyway) would beat Balerion, he thinks they're probably about the same size, maybe B's a little bigger, but Smaug is just far smarter.

But then again he also said that Jaime Lannister would beat Aragorn and lolno.

Epicurus
^Yeah, Martin's comments(especially in the very same interview where he gives Smaug the win over Balerion) aren't worth jack squat in these debates.

Estrecca
Movie Smaug was definitely larger than what Tolkien intended Smaug's size to be while writing the Hobbit.

Based on?

I mean, if this is about the drawing in which invisible Bilbo is next to sleeping Smaug, Tolkien himself stated that he is far too large in that one and the overall work distinctly amateurish.

Utrigita
^Read the OP.

Ahh cool, was a bit confused because you began talking about the hobbit and tolkiens intentions in regards to Smaug.

But with the OP taken into consideration Smaug will imo win.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.