Top 5 most powerful

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
Here, we rank the most powerful characters to ever appear in cinema. No
-religious figures (such as God from Bruce Almighty or The Wishmaster from the eponymous series),
-magical characters (such as Genie from Aladdin)
-cosmic entities (such as Galactus from FF:ROTSS or Parallax from GL)
-Lovecraftian entities (such as The Book Beings from In The Mouth of Madness)
-mysterious cosmic aliens (such as the beings from 2001: A Space Odyssey or Contact)
are allowed. Let's rank

1. Anthony Fremont (Twilight Zone: The Movie)
2. Doctor Manhattan (Watchmen)
3. Silver Surfer (Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer)
4. Hal Jordan (Green Lantern)
5. Tetsuo Shima (Akira)

Honorable mention:
Dark Phoenix (X Men: The Last Stand)
Todd Ingram (Scott Pilgrim vs The World)

Rank your most powerful. Your ranking MUST be in order from most to least powerful. Begin!

DrDeadpool
Iv never watched twilight zone !! what Anthony Fremont can do ?

Lestov16
His most powerful feat was dimension-dumping his sister into a cartoon they were watching on TV; The monsters in the cartoon kill his sister
Such a feat requires massive physics altering/multiversal power

Mindship
Q.

Anthony Fremont exists only because a member of the Q Continuum boinked his mom.

DrDeadpool
Originally posted by Lestov16
His most powerful feat was dimension-dumping his sister into a cartoon they were watching on TV; The monsters in the cartoon kill his sister
That's really Scary !! was he a villain ?

Supra
1. Superman
2. Thor
3. Hulk

Lestov16
Any one of the 5 people I listed could solo your entire list, Supra. Gotta choose someone better.

Epicurus
1)Freamont.
2)Shime.
3)Surfer.
3.5)Phoenix(honorary mention just noticed)/
4)Jordan.
5)Manhattan.

marwash22
you're skewing this if you're including Tetsuo (a character from an anime feature)... the entire list is going to be from that genre.

NemeBro
Anyone who places Manhattan above Surfer is a mouth-breathing douchebag.

Lestov16
Originally posted by marwash22
you're skewing this if you're including Tetsuo (a character from an anime feature)... the entire list is going to be from that genre.

What other anime film characters could be listed here (remember, no magic)

NemeBro
Whis and Bills from Dragon Ball: Battle of Gods, for example.

They'd solo that list.

Lestov16
Forgot DBZ had films. DBZ is also disqualified, as well as Pokemon.

NemeBro
Pussy ass house nigga.

Lestov16
Get back to the cotton, field boi.

Robtard
Anyone who thinks film SS is below Manhattan blows mouth-breathing douchebags in movie theaters.

DrDeadpool
Do Lucifer and Castiel (from season 6 of supernatural) count?

Epicurus
^They definitely belong to this thread, though I am not sure if Lestov is willing to allow them. Personally, I think they pretty much trump everyone on this list, including the Surfer and Fremont.

Lestov16
They're religious characters, so no.

Firefly218
Jesus. Try and argue with that Christians

Firefly218
Just realized, no religious characters

Astner
Originally posted by Epicurus
3)Surfer.
3.5)Phoenix(honorary mention just noticed)/

5)Manhattan.
In no way was Dr. Manhattan weaker than either the Surfer or the Phoenix from the movies.

0mega Spawn
Forest gump

ares834
Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/146226/2780198-1278913993039.png

He could solo everyone mentioned in this thread.

Epicurus
Originally posted by Astner
In no way was Dr. Manhattan weaker than either the Surfer or the Phoenix from the movies.
By all means, point out a single feat which makes him on par with the Surfer.

NemeBro
Surprised no one mentioned Sutter Cane from In the Mouth of Madness.

He's more powerful than perhaps every single character mentioned thus far, possibly excluding Gurren Lagaan.

Supra
Any one of the 5 people I listed could solo your entire list, Supra. Gotta choose someone better.

1. Manhatten
2. Surfer
3. Superman
4. Hulk
5. Odin

Epicurus
^Odin lacks the feats of his comic book counterpart.

Pretty sure that Fremont from Lestov's side could still solo most of your list.

Placidity
By all means, point out a single feat which makes him on par with the Surfer.

Which Surfer feat do you want matched?

Unlike an attribute like strength or speed, their attributes are so diverse and versatile, its difficult to compare.

Surfer has a definite weakness. Even though it required a top level super intellect to exploit it, Manhattan could probably replicate that energy pulse. Manhattan on the other hand, cannot be destroyed by any conventional/physical means.

NemeBro
Surfer's weakness was tachyons.

You know, the things that cloud Manhattan's temporal perception and can't be manipulated by him.

Placidity
Originally posted by NemeBro
Surfer's weakness was tachyons.

You know, the things that cloud Manhattan's temporal perception and can't be manipulated by him.

I didn't expect them to be the same.

Lol looked it up and it indeed is.

Not sure it means he cannot generate the pulse himself. E.g Pyro can be burnt by fire. Rough analogy, I know - please don't pull a Silent Master on me.

Rewatching Watchmen, I'd give Manhattan a good edge given the level of abilities displayed.

Epicurus
Originally posted by Placidity
Which Surfer feat do you want matched?

Unlike an attribute like strength or speed, their attributes are so diverse and versatile, its difficult to compare.

Surfer has a definite weakness. Even though it required a top level super intellect to exploit it, Manhattan could probably replicate that energy pulse. Manhattan on the other hand, cannot be destroyed by any conventional/physical means.
Movie Surfer obviously. Since these are the movies we're talking about.

That weakness is tachyons. Same as Manhattan whose precog gets blocked by them particles. So no, Manhattan's not replicating what Doom and Reed were able to pull off.

DrDeadpool
What does matter is nature of Dr's ability, like he reversed Entropy , doing something like that requires a hand on fundamental laws of physics !!

Epicurus
When did he reverse entropy in the movies?

Epicurus
I didn't expect them to be the same.

Lol looked it up and it indeed is.

Not sure it means he cannot generate the pulse himself. E.g Pyro can be burnt by fire. Rough analogy, I know - please don't pull a Silent Master on me.

Rewatching Watchmen, I'd give Manhattan a good edge given the level of abilities displayed.
Has he done so in the movies, or even shown the capability to do so? If not, then that's not a viable tactic to argue here.

Most of his feats were hardly something which an average Surfer couldn't replicate. Surfer on the other hand pulled of sh1t like blowing holes from one side of the planet to another, causing superpowers to fluctuate, healing Doom with a casual blast, and killing a Jupiter-sized entity that destroyed entire planets. The kind of firepower which Manhattan isn't capable of dealing with.

DrDeadpool
When did he reverse entropy in the movies?
When Silk Spectre throws something at Dr and destroy his TV then the Dr reversed the action and everything got back on its normal place smile

NemeBro
Anyway, Sutter Cane takes my top spot. He literally has the power of an author over a story, he is for all intents and purposes omnipotent.

1. Sutter Cane (It occurs to me that I'm exploiting a loophole by naming him because Lestov explicitly disallowed the beings who empowered him but **** Lestov)
2. Anthony Fremont
3. Silver Surfer
4. Superman (Reeves/Routhe)
5. Not sure

wakkawakkawakka
Shouldn't Dr.Manhattan be more powerful than Supes due to BFR powers and such?

NemeBro
You could argue he might beat Superman, but he isn't nearly as powerful.

Dramatic Gecko
1. Elmo
2. Bugs Bunny
3. Miss Piggy
4. Flicka
5. Manhattan

Epicurus
Originally posted by DrDeadpool
When Silk Spectre throws something at Dr and destroy his TV then the Dr reversed the action and everything got back on its normal place smile
IIRC, that was just plain tk. Nothing mentioned about him reversing entropy.

Epicurus
Anyway, Sutter Cane takes my top spot. He literally has the power of an author over a story, he is for all intents and purposes omnipotent.
He's still subservient to Lovecraftian cosmic entities though. Not the top of his universe. I bet the Djinn from Wishmaster series could take him. Or the Beast from Poltergeist.

Placidity

Yes, I am most impressed by that feat. It's actually insane.

Placidity

If you thought about it for half a second, you wouldn't claim it is "just plain tk".

DrDeadpool

Entropy is a quantity in Physics that requires a particular direction for time , as we go forward in time the entropy of a system (Isolated) will increase but in the systems that are not close entropy can decrease with time .
Entropy is an abstract concept like temperature , Watching a movie, it is usually easy to determine whether it is being run forward or in reverse. When run in reverse, broken glasses spontaneously reassemble, smoke goes down a chimney, , cooling the environment and ice "unmelts" warming the environment.
Certain subatomic interactions involving the weak nuclear force can act on the opposite of entropy but very little !!! but mostly its a law which can't be broken , breaking it requires a vast knowledge of Quantum physics , ridiculous amount of energy and a mind ( or a quantum computer ) that can determine the acts of sub atomic particles !! wink

Epicurus
Entropy is a quantity in Physics that requires a particular direction for time , as we go forward in time the entropy of a system (Isolated) will increase but in the systems that are not close entropy can decrease with time .
Entropy is an abstract concept like temperature , Watching a movie, it is usually easy to determine whether it is being run forward or in reverse. When run in reverse, broken glasses spontaneously reassemble, smoke goes down a chimney, , cooling the environment and ice "unmelts" warming the environment.
Certain subatomic interactions involving the weak nuclear force can act on the opposite of entropy but very little !!! but mostly its a law which can't be broken , breaking it requires a vast knowledge of Quantum physics , ridiculous amount of energy and a mind ( or a quantum computer ) that can determine the acts of sub atomic particles !! wink
I don't want textbook definitions of the term "entropy" or how hard it is to manipulate it in real life.

I want actual onscreen proof of what Manhattan did to those earrings was indeed referred as him "reversing entropy". Not fan-based speculation.

Epicurus
If you thought about it for half a second, you wouldn't claim it is "just plain tk".
I thought about. It's nothing more than plain tk. Him streamlining it with seeming time-reversal special effects doesn't make it anything more than what it is; tk.

Placidity
I thought about. It's nothing more than plain tk. Him streamlining it with seeming time-reversal special effects doesn't make it anything more than what it is; tk.

The special effect is the power in the movie.

That's like saying Surfer's blast is only a special effect.

If you were only able to move things with your mind, you wouldn't be able to replicate that feat, not even if your TK could lift 1 trillion tonnes.

Placidity

I want actual onscreen proof of what Manhattan did to those earrings was indeed referred as him "reversing entropy". Not fan-based speculation.

That makes no sense.

Also, what earrings???

Epicurus
That makes no sense.

Also, what earrings???
You need to read it more carefully then.

Sorry, I confused that scene with the one where Janey throws those hydrogen atom rings at him. However, upon rewatching that scene, it's clear to me that he used matter-manip/tk to restore the smashed monitor. Not that it's even a feat worth mentioning when comparing him to a guy that can kill a Saturn-sized planet destroying entity.

Epicurus
The special effect is the power in the movie.

That's like saying Surfer's blast is only a special effect.

If you were only able to move things with your mind, you wouldn't be able to replicate that feat, not even if your TK could lift 1 trillion tonnes.
No, that's quite an unfair analogy. At no point was it ever implied that Manhattan can manipulate time or entropy in the film.

You can't make assertions based on your speculation. Onscreen we only see him do tk, teleportation and the usual jaz, none of which is beyond the Surfer's abilities. That much is indisputable.

And even if we are to take your made up feat at face value, it's still nothing compared to the Surfer creating a tesseract space within his board to trap a missile. Since we're going according to made-up feats and all.

NemeBro
He's still subservient to Lovecraftian cosmic entities though. Not the top of his universe. I bet the Djinn from Wishmaster series could take him. Or the Beast from Poltergeist.

He has the collective power of all the Old Ones at his disposal though. While his power derives from them, considering he can dictate even their actions with his writing, his power surpasses any one individually (Probably).

Djinn can't do dick without a wish, and more to the point it can be and has been defeated. Sutter Cane has the power of the author at his disposal, he is for all intents and purposes omnipotent, at the very least on a planetary scale.

Don't know shit about Poltergeist.

Nephthys
I'm think its Gurren Lagann. Or the Spiral Nemesis depending on it it counts as a cosmic alien.

Ares is probably right, they could solo all mentioned in the thread more than likely.

NemeBro
Anyone who chooses anime movie characters should be shot, to be fair.

At least Akira is a standalone film. Gurren Lagaan's movie is a cash-in on the series.

Nephthys
Meh, the OP said 'to ever appear in cinema' and Japanese cinema's are still cinema's.

For people who don't know about Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, it is 52.8 billion light years tall, can warp reality and causality and its final attack destroyed the dimension it was fighting in.

Superman is an atom compared to it.

NemeBro
Isn't it also a cosmic being though?

Nephthys
No, its made up of a bunch of humans willpower.

Robtard
Get the **** out with your anime crap

NemeBro
Originally posted by Nephthys
No, its made up of a bunch of humans willpower. That doesn't answer my question.

Robtard
He said it's a reality/causality warping dimension busting entity, do you really need to ask that question.

Nephthys
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/143/c034630d529d4f8b9bf3e38e07cb3d85/l.jpg

Don't hate just cuz its awesome (those are galaxies).

That doesn't answer my question.

Its not a cosmic entity like Galactus or Parralax.

Robtard
McClane would walk over and turn off the television set. McClane > STTGL.

ares834
That doesn't answer my question.

Sure it does. It's a giant ass "robot" created out of the willpower of several people. It's not a cosmic being.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Robtard
McClane would walk over and turn off the television set. McClane > STTGL.

McClane counts as either a religious figure or a cosmic entity though. Being the Lord of All Win.

Robtard
McClane counts as either a religious figure or a cosmic entity though. Being the Lord of All Win.

I like your patter thumb up

NemeBro
Originally posted by ares834
Sure it does. It's a giant ass "robot" created out of the willpower of several people. It's not a cosmic being. Those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive though.

NemeBro
McClane counts as either a religious figure or a cosmic entity though. Being the Lord of All Win. So how does Rob's ass hole taste?

Nephthys
Like Bruce Willis' cock.

NemeBro
Not great then.

meep-meep
So how does Rob's ass hole taste?
You wouldn't ask if you weren't curious.

Robtard
Like Bruce Willis' cock.

no expression

Nephthys
And I'll tell you, I know what Bruce Willis' cock tastes like.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Mindship
Q.

Anthony Fremont exists only because a member of the Q Continuum boinked his mom.

thumb up

Epicurus
He has the collective power of all the Old Ones at his disposal though. While his power derives from them, considering he can dictate even their actions with his writing, his power surpasses any one individually (Probably).

Djinn can't do dick without a wish, and more to the point it can be and has been defeated. Sutter Cane has the power of the author at his disposal, he is for all intents and purposes omnipotent, at the very least on a planetary scale.

Don't know shit about Poltergeist.
His most notable feat was warping his face into paper for crying out loud. How the heck can he dictate the actions of entities whom he himself serves? That doesn't even make any sense.

Yes, the only real limitation of the Djinn. Otherwise their power is essentially godlike for all intents and purposes.

Reality Warper as well. Cane, Djinn and the Poltergeist-Beast are all mentioned in TVTropes page of reality warpers in film.

Epicurus
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
thumb up
Cinema only characters and no cosmis entities. Both of which are criteria which Q doesn't fulfill.

NemeBro
His most notable feat was warping his face into paper for crying out loud.

And here I thought it was literally writing and dictating the entire movie. I also thought turning the observable world blue was better than warping his face into paper. I guess I was wrong, lololol.

Because they couldn't kill the film's protagonist, and the stinger at the end shows that the entire film we just watched were the events of his novel.

Also, his wording before said scene where they chase down the protagonist implies as much. "I can't hold them back for much longer", referring to the door where the Old Ones were trying to intrude upon reality.

Oh, and of course he also create an entire town that was originally just a fictional place, and of course all the events of his prior books.

It's a really ****ing big limitation though.

Also the Djinn were explicitly disallowed so... Yeh, lol.

Epicurus
^If you're basing that on magical creatures being banned, then Cane can't be used either then. Seeing how his power too was derived from magical/cosmic beings.

Epicurus
No it doesn't. Comic book reality warpers who don't even have a universal scope of power have pull off sh1t like that.

Dramatic Gecko
Elmo destroys them all!
http://image.blingee.com/images17/content/output/000/000/000/601/511225329_657319.gif

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.