Cal Lightman vs. Dexter Morgan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jmoul
Cal Lightman from "Lie to Me" is sent down to Miami to investigate a string of disappearances. These disappearance happen to be those caused by Dexter Morgan's killings. Cal has all of his needed equipment to read the expressions of suspects and has been given the background facts about the case.

Does he catch Dexter, or does the real Bay Harbor Butcher get away once again?

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by jmoul
Cal Lightman from "Lie to Me" is sent down to Miami to investigate a string of disappearances. These disappearance happen to be those caused by Dexter Morgan's killings. Cal has all of his needed equipment to read the expressions of suspects and has been given the background facts about the case.

Does he catch Dexter, or does the real Bay Harbor Butcher get away once again?

Can he catch him in a lie? Pretty sure he can.

jmoul
But Lightman reads lies from emotions, Dexter has no emotions, so I don't think it will be that easy for Cal to catch Dexter's lies.

Zack Fair
Dex likes to think he doesn't have emotions, but he has a lot of them.

jmoul
Dex also does an extremely good job of hiding his emotions whenever he may have them. The only emotions Dexter has are probably fear, anger, and maybe love for Rita, Deb, Aster, Cody, Harry, and Harrison.

Aside from that, he has no real emotions.

BloodRain
Thats as much as a give-away as having a lie on his face.

There was an scene where Cal was proving to some brat that his body reading skills worked as well as he said, I believe using some crime slideshow, a verbal scenario or something similar. Cal was proven wrong by misreading him, but by doing this he confirmed that the kid was a far gone sociopath with some sort of experience which Cal later investigated into, being completely right.

Emotions, fake emotions, dead emotions. Cal has been through them all.

jmoul
I saw every episode of Lie to Me, I know that episode well. He calls the sociopath a sick bastard and said that the sociopath owed him $200 because of a bet in the beginning of the episode.

BloodRain
Exactly.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by jmoul
Dex also does an extremely good job of hiding his emotions whenever he may have them. The only emotions Dexter has are probably fear, anger, and maybe love for Rita, Deb, Aster, Cody, Harry, and Harrison.

Aside from that, he has no real emotions.

He studies body language and microexpressions that reveal emotions and detect lies.

jmoul
But Cal operates in a way that requires a confession from the suspect or from others who know of the crime, otherwise the results his investigation wouldn't be reliable evidence in court. To follow the Code of Harry, Dexter will never actually confess to anything, and nobody actually knows about his "hobby" other than himself. So Cal has that obstacle to overcome, and to actually find physical evidence, Cal would need to search Dexter's apartment or house, and it is likely that Cal wouldn't find the box of blood and the knives in the trunk.

BloodRain
Not really. With all of the information, and given his detective prowess and insight we can say he'll more than likely be on the same pages as Lundy. The only difference is that when it came to pinpointing people, the reason he moved from Dexter was (iirc) because he didn't see Dex as the type/saw no motive/no reason/or something. Point being from the initial read alone Cal will be highly suspicious. I mean, Lundy got his suspicions down to his own police department. Cal would only need to get half as far.

Think about it. With all the info (like the police secure information the Butcher seems to have at his disposal, Dexter's 'sloppy blood work' on certain cases when he's always been an ace with blood, the targets, etc etc) whilst being smacked in the face by Dexter's thick, innocent mask.

With all the Lundyesk info with what Cal's positive is a sociopath putting on such a normal act, all it would take is for Cal to do what he does and see if he can spark a reaction from Dex. Be it fear or anger. Either, or another, and Cal will have him in the cross-hairs.

From there its a matter of doing what Lundy was going to do for whomever he decided to go with. Pile up the evidence, call in for questioning, the works.

jmoul
^good point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.