Films you like that most people hate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
Hey guys.. I've made a video featuring the Top 10 films i like that most people hate. Here's the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKaOflVfXPY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUch2aIf8I5GQ1_MhIytxKXQ

Please let me know what films you like that most people hate. if you've got a YouTube Channel, then please comment on my video letting me know what you agree with & disagree with on my list & what films you'd put on your list. Please don't post hate comments though, or swear words on my video. If you do this, the comments will be removed.

Firefly218
I thought Ang Lee's Hulk was pretty good. I liked Daredevil when I saw it too

C-3POTheClever
I haven't seen either of those.

siriuswriter
Reign of Fire. I LOVE this movie, bit it's always labelled as "the movie where Christian Bale lost his mind by being a part of."

jaden101
Yeah I didn't mind Bana hulk. Thought it was better than Norton hulk.

I liked Vanilla Sky despite it being universally hated.

Other would be cheap budget horrors like Phantoms(hell of a cast for such a panned film) , storm of the century and the langoliers.

Most people seem to think 2012 was a terrible film but I enjoyed it except for maybe the last half hour when it got relatively boring.

Not so much that I like the film but I didn't think Spiderman 3 was any better or worse than the 2 that came before it.

I rate Constantine as in my top 5 comic book movies and it isn't particularly well liked.

Firefly218
SW Revenge of the Sith was actually pretty good. Phantom Menace and attack of the clones were terrible, but the third was actually well-made in my opinion.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Firefly218
SW Revenge of the Sith was actually pretty good. Phantom Menace and attack of the clones were terrible, but the third was actually well-made in my opinion.
I agree on ROTS.

marwash22
The Matrix Reloaded.

BlackZero30x
Highlander End Game, I enjoyed all of the Matrix movies, and there are some others I just can't think of right now.

Mindship
Fantastic Four. Both.

Firefly218
Originally posted by Mindship
Fantastic Four. Both.

I sort of liked the first one. Sequel was absolutely terrible

Mindship
I sort of liked the first one. Sequel was absolutely terrible I hadn't seen the first in a while; it was on the other day. Damn I'd forgotten how great Evans was as the Torch. Even Alba was watchable (McMahon: not so much).

The second one: I liked how they blended several comic stories together. However, I could not get passed Alba's demonically blue eyes (ironically, I thought McMahon was watchable this time around). It was great seeing Surfer - at first - but as I've watched this movie over and over, the less I like this SS interpretation (I won't even mention what they did to Galactus). But again, overall, like the first, I thought this film did a good job capturing character, had good pace, humor...

Nuke Nixon
Howard The Duck

Tzeentch
Armageddon.

Estacado
Spawn.Favorite childhood movie even though I havent read any comics that time.
Wolverine Origins. Deadpool fight is meh but Creed is my fave Wolverine villain and it also has some Gambit.
Thought Priest was pretty cool.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Estacado
Spawn.Favorite childhood movie even though I havent read any comics that time.
Wolverine Origins. Deadpool fight is meh but Creed is my fave Wolverine villain and it also has some Gambit.
Thought Priest was pretty cool. Priest was lame.

Estacado
For some reason I liked it.srug
Forgot AvP 2 movie was meh but Wolf's badassness made it up for me.

Darth Martin
Watchmen's a masterpiece as far as the superhero/comic book genre goes IMO. Not sure why it gets so much hate.

Man of Steel also gets a ton of undeserved criticism.

Supra
Green Lantern

quanchi112
Last Airbender.

wakkawakkawakka
Constantine and Independence Day for me.

COG Veteran
Spiderman 3
Indy 4

-Pr-
A lot of ones I see here, I liked too:

Vanilla Sky.
Phantoms.
Storm of the Century.
Revenge of the Sith in parts.
Matrix Reloaded I really like too.
Armageddon (even with that poxy song).
Priest had a wonderful concept that was still all right in its execution I felt.
Constantine, as I'm a sucker for stuff that does Christian mythology even half-decently.

My pick though, has to be the Miami Vice movie, though only when speaking about the director's cut of the movie. It was such a let-down in the cinema, yet when I actually watched the new cut of it, I was blown away. It is right up in my top five movies of all time, and it doesn't get nearly enough love imo.

Kazenji
Iron Man 2
Spawn, Except for when he's in hell all that CGI looks dated now
Matrix Sequels
Green Lantern
Robocop 2.

Firefly218
I enjoyed Iron Man 2 and 3 also thumb up

Kazenji
Oh yeah and the third one too.

Esau Cairn
The Punisher: War Zone.

I personally found it more accurate to the character then the Thomas Jane version. The pace, the story line was good. Ray Stevenson had the perfect look & mannerisms for Castle.

And yet the most common complaint about War Zone is that it was too violent....WTF????

Kazenji
You could tell that they were basing the movie on the Punisher Max imprint.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Kazenji
Oh yeah and the third one too.
You lalso like POTC 3 as well don't you?

Kazenji
Of course, The 4th one not as much.

C-3POTheClever
Of course, The 4th one not as much.
Agreed!

C-3POTheClever
This probably isn't exactly a film most people hate, but it's a film that's received a lot of criticism & that is the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. A lot of people (especially critics) seem to dislike it, but I loved it!

Kazenji
From what i recall of the critics, They didn't like it because it wasn't like the Lord of the Rings.

C-3POTheClever
From what i recall of the critics, They didn't like it because it wasn't like the Lord of the Rings.
Yeah, a lot of people were expecting it to me more dark & Epic like LOTR, but if you ask me, then that's not a fair complaint because it's based on a children's book, & even as it was, it was a lot more Epic like LOTR than the book was.

C-3POTheClever
Have you see it? If so; what do you think of it?

C-3POTheClever
Below is a list of films I enjoy but most people don't.

Storm-breaker
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Fantastic Four (Both)
Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom
Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3
Johnny English 1 & 2
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Star Wars Prequels
Spider-man 3
X-Men: The Last Stand
Hoodwinked
Freaky Friday (2003)
Muppets From Space
Both the Mr Bean films

Firefly218
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
This probably isn't exactly a film most people hate, but it's a film that's received a lot of criticism & that is the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. A lot of people (especially critics) seem to dislike it, but I loved it!

I didn't like Unexpected Journey at all. Plot was confused, orcs were too childish, movie was too long and tedious.

I did enjoy Martin Freeman's performance as Bilbo however.

C-3POTheClever
I didn't like Unexpected Journey at all. Plot was confused, orcs were too childish, movie was too long and tedious.

I did enjoy Martin Freeman's performance as Bilbo however.

Well, I personally loved it, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Have you seen the Desolation of Smaug? If so; what do you think of it?

Firefly218
Well, I personally loved it, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Have you seen the Desolation of Smaug? If so; what do you think of it?

Desolation of Smaug was great. It didn't quite inhabit LotR tone, but was still a fun movie.

-Pr-
Below is a list of films I enjoy but most people don't.

Storm-breaker
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
Fantastic Four (Both)
Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom
Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3
Johnny English 1 & 2
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Star Wars Prequels
Spider-man 3
X-Men: The Last Stand
Hoodwinked
Freaky Friday (2003)
Muppets From Space
Both the Mr Bean films

Who doesn't like Temple of Doom?

Stealth Moose
I couldn't possibly name them all. But I must agree on Reign of Fire, Priest, and Constantine. Sometimes you respect movies for daring to be different, without being grotesque or just plain stupid.

I loved Master and Commander, Ironclad, and Centurion, none of which get any real love or high praise that I am aware. I could try and think of more, but I'd have to leave the chair and go browse my DVDs. Too much commitment.

Kazenji
It didn't quite inhabit LotR tone, .

Its not suppose to.

C-3POTheClever
Its not suppose to.
Exactly!

Darth Martin
The Matrix Reloaded would qualify for the list as well.

Firefly218
Exactly!

I know and that's my primary gripe with Hobbit movies. Regardless, Unexpected Journey was long, stale and tedious. Desolation of Smaug was better made.

C-3POTheClever
I know and that's my primary gripe with Hobbit movies. Regardless, Unexpected Journey was long, stale and tedious. Desolation of Smaug was better made.
The films are actually a lot closer in tone to LOTR than the original book was.
Anyway, I certainly think The Desolation of Smaug wasmore epic than the first one.

Firefly218
The films are actually a lot closer in tone to LOTR than the original book was.
Anyway, I certainly think The Desolation of Smaug wasmore epic than the first one.

I haven't read the Hobbit books, so I may have had false expectations. I'll give Unexpected Journey another try sometime.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by -Pr-
Who doesn't like Temple of Doom?
A lot of people seem to dislike, despite it's Rotten Tomatoes scores. Even most people who like still say it's weaker than Raiders & Crusade. Some have even said that Crystal Skull was better than it.

jaden101
I'd have to add Oblivion to my list. Watched it again last night. It's visually striking. A great concept of earth being destroyed and enslaved by a very imposing AI. The whole 'scavengers' aspect was a bit Mad Max/Doomsday steampunk which wasn't the best but overall I liked it.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by jaden101
I'd have to add Oblivion to my list. Watched it again last night. It's visually striking. A great concept of earth being destroyed and enslaved by a very imposing AI. The whole 'scavengers' aspect was a bit Mad Max/Doomsday steampunk which wasn't the best but overall I liked it.

I agree with this. Oblivion may not win any awards, but it was fun to watch and mentally provoking.

0mega Spawn
Matrix reloaded and revolutions were both amazing films
Those who don't like it probably dont because someone on a website they like to visit didn't... erm

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
Matrix reloaded and revolutions were both amazing films
Those who don't like it probably dont because someone on a website they like to visit didn't... erm

... Or the original film was an excellent stand-alone film and the sequels brought in a bunch of philosophical hogwash and plot holes big enough to fit Buicks inside.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
... Or the original film was an excellent stand-alone film and the sequels brought in a bunch of philosophical hogwash and plot holes big enough to fit Buicks inside.
The first one has the same "philosophical hogwash."

Stealth Moose
Very little in comparison. My bigger issue is with the plotholes, like Neo using powers out of the Matrix, and whatever the hell Colonel Sanders was supposed to represent. Then the idea of free will gor manhandled, etc.

Kazenji
"Colonel Sanders" represented The Architect, Creator of the Matrix.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
The first one has the same "philosophical hogwash." Originally posted by Kazenji
"Colonel Sanders" represented The Architect, Creator of the Matrix.

"Amusing". But this is looking to be derailed. I've had my say.

Kazenji
Well you did say "What did he represent"

what more do you need.

Stealth Moose
Perhaps you took me too literally? I know he's the Architect. What he meant to the storyline was entirely unclear on my first viewing and it was very very meh.

Patient_Leech
My bigger issue is with the plotholes, like Neo using powers out of the Matrix...

Yeah, we will derail this thread. I don't mind picking it up somewhere else. The Matrix forum, that never gets used? lol.. But people have been throwing around the word "plothole" way too easily nowadays, just because it's something they don't understand. What you call a "plothole" is actually a classic literary device (King Lear, Oedipus). Being physically blinded, but being awakened with a new inner vision is a profound literary motif. And as far as him being able to use powers in the real world, do I really need to tell you that it's science fiction? You've already suspended plenty of disbelief throughout the series and that's what you can't accept? Part of the "Neo" program was to have certain powers in the Matrix, so once he found his new vision and could "see" the machines' true selves, he could manipulate them, too. The previous "Ones" didn't find this "new vision," they simply did as they were told, but Neo was acting on some personal intuition guided by his love for Trinity and seeing that Sati & Family were machines and capable of love also.

People hate on the Matrix movies for no reason. That shit is studied in colleges (I took a whole class on it). The only problems with it are superficial things like goofy, distracting costumes in the sequels. But as far as the deeper meanings go, they're forever relevant and profound.

As for my list, most have been mentioned before...

Constantine
Iron Man 2 & 3
Green Lantern
Watchmen
Spawn
Man of Steel
I am Legend (I have mixed feelings for it, though I enjoy watching it)
Reign of Fire (what's not to like? it's fun)
Centurion (I really like this one, don't think most people would hate it)
The Matrix Sequels (too dense and thought-provoking for the masses)
Temple of Doom (might be my favorite Indy film actually!)

0mega Spawn
Every response defending the matrix...exactly

thanos-prime
Death to smoochy

Stealth Moose
Yeah, we will derail this thread. I don't mind picking it up somewhere else. The Matrix forum, that never gets used? lol.. But people have been throwing around the word "plothole" way too easily nowadays, just because it's something they don't understand. What you call a "plothole" is actually a classic literary device (King Lear, Oedipus). Being physically blinded, but being awakened with a new inner vision is a profound literary motif. And as far as him being able to use powers in the real world, do I really need to tell you that it's science fiction? You've already suspended plenty of disbelief throughout the series and that's what you can't accept? Part of the "Neo" program was to have certain powers in the Matrix, so once he found his new vision and could "see" the machines' true selves, he could manipulate them, too. The previous "Ones" didn't find this "new vision," they simply did as they were told, but Neo was acting on some personal intuition guided by his love for Trinity and seeing that Sati & Family were machines and capable of love also.

People hate on the Matrix movies for no reason. That shit is studied in colleges (I took a whole class on it). The only problems with it are superficial things like goofy, distracting costumes in the sequels. But as far as the deeper meanings go, they're forever relevant and profound.

As for my list, most have been mentioned before...

Constantine
Iron Man 2 & 3
Green Lantern
Watchmen
Spawn
Man of Steel
I am Legend (I have mixed feelings for it, though I enjoy watching it)
Reign of Fire (what's not to like? it's fun)
Centurion (I really like this one, don't think most people would hate it)
The Matrix Sequels (too dense and thought-provoking for the masses)
Temple of Doom (might be my favorite Indy film actually!)

I'm open to any explanations you have then, if you want to post or revive anything in the Matricks forumz.

However, I'd like to reiterate that I am not hating on the series because it's cool, or I'm a rebel, or I can't understand symbolism and higher forms of media; quite the opposite. I've done extensive interpretation work on stuff like Blader Runner, Catcher and the Rye, Beowulf etc. finding alternative interpretations and symbolism.

Of course, I've also applied psychoanalysis in a way that makings The RockingHorse Winner entirely sexual. With enough interpretation, you can find anything you want in media. That's just the nature of subjective viewpoints.

But again, I'll discuss this indepth with you elsewhere.

Esau Cairn

Sorry, I disagree...when it comes to the last 2 Matrix movies.
It just turned out to be tedious superficial dialogue broken up with a repetitious action sequences & then back to the mumbo-jumbo again.

The films tried to be too deep when they didn't need to.

polarstar
Show girls and color of night, I love it ! big grin no idea how anyone can hate it cool

-Pr-
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
It just turned out to be tedious superficial dialogue broken up with a repetitious action sequences & then back to the mumbo-jumbo again.

They failed too, tbh. At least, I think so.

They seemed deep, but really weren't in the end.

0mega Spawn

So you would prefer a script more like this

Morpheus: Phuck These Machines, man
Neo: Right, Right
(Neo plugs into the matrix to confront Smith)
Neo: Hey Smith...phuck you
Smith: No, phuck you
Other Smith: yeah
Other other Smith: Hell yeah
(Fight ensues. neo defeats smith and his clones then unplugs)
Neo:yall see that shit!!!
Trinity: yeah that shit was crazy bro
Morpheus: yo somebody gotta stop them machines in machine city

C-3POTheClever
Another film I like that most people seem to hate is Disney's a Christmas Carol from 2009.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by -Pr-
They seemed deep, but really weren't in the end.
Great assertion, but there's far more evidence to the contrary. Endless symbolism, philosophy, criticism of dogma, etc. Hell, I think there's a pretty profound message that parallels relations between warring countries... seeing as Neo brought about peace between Man and Machine.

With enough interpretation, you can find anything you want in media. That's just the nature of subjective viewpoints.
Well, I agree to some extent, but the Matrix films are a whole other can of worms. There are things they did (some more subtle than others) that aren't really subjective at all. I think the proof of that is in the names they gave various things. EVERY single name they put in there had a very specific meaning and meaning is something few films have. Their choices in names are proof that they thought it out quite a lot. The Matrix films are far more thought-provoking than most other movies of its kind (if you want them to be).

Sure, I'll try to get around to posting some things in the ghost town Matrix forum. There's one thing in particular that my friend pointed out to me recently, that I had totally forgotten about. Something they were forced to change because the studio thought it would be too complicated for audiences.

Hahaha laughing

Esau Cairn

I was referring to the nonsense like,

Morpheus: You are The Key to The Door of Destiny...
Neo: Riiight I'm a key....
Morpheus: But first you must choose a path, for the corridors of Life has many doors...
Neo: So I'm still a key...?
Morpheus: Yes....But you must choose a Door...A Door that wants to be opened.

Later,
Morpheus: You are the Answer...But to the Wrong Question...
Neo: Okaaay....

roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

Based
Matrix sequels. Star Wars prequels.

I was referring to the nonsense like,

Morpheus: You are The Key to The Door of Destiny...
Neo: Riiight I'm a key....
Morpheus: But first you must choose a path, for the corridors of Life has many doors...
Neo: So I'm still a key...?
Morpheus: Yes....But you must choose a Door...A Door that wants to be opened.

Later,
Morpheus: You are the Answer...But to the Wrong Question...
Neo: Okaaay....

roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic)

It would help if you actually understood the movie. Just because you can't get it the first time doesn't make it a bad movie.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Based

It would help if you actually understood the movie. Just because you can't get it the first time doesn't make it a bad movie.

Jesus Christ.

Please enlighten me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.