Coca-Cola commercial sparks heated emotions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
See the commercial.

People are up in arms over a commercial for Coke where "America the Beautiful" is sung in various languages, representing the very multi-ethnic society of the United States.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Personally, it makes me want to kill stupid people. Last I recall, English isn't the only language used in America.

BackFire
No, America invented the English language.

But really, this has to be seen as a huge success for Coca Cola. An otherwise very mediocre and forgettable commercial is generating a ton of buzz and getting an absurd amount of attention for superficial reasons. Can't help but wonder if Coke did this intentionally knowing that it may generate some controversy.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment

People are up in arms over a commercial for Coke

Those people are idiots and should either kill or sterilize themselves.

Digi
It was inevitable and predictable. My friends and I were discussing the obvious racist backlash during the airing of it.

But I'm kinda with Backfire. My initial reaction is to award Coke some personal bonus points in my book. But I also pointed out as it aired that Coke undoubtedly knew what they were getting into. Does that make them brave, or ruthlessly smart about their marketing?

The Chik-Fil-A homophobic scandal actually increased their sales. Was this a self-aware creation of a controversy, or an attempt at an actual beautiful statement? Or both? I can't be in the heads of the marketing execs, so my vote is uncast.

As for the racist asshats swearing off Coke, the best is to shame them (there are some tumblr channels doing a great job of collecting tweets and such), or ignore them. Whatever your preference. I don't mind letting them know there are public consequences for projecting hatred in public forums. But it's also not worth true outrage. Civilization marches on. They'll be a footnote, if that, decades and centuries from now.

Mindship
The environment is changing. Those organisms not adapting cry the loudest, knowing that extinction looms.

Muaah hah hahhh...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
The environment is changing. Those organisms not adapting cry the loudest, knowing that extinction looms.

Muaah hah hahhh...

...and you got all of this from a Coke commercial? stick out tongue

Mindship
lol

Mostly from the fear that followed.

Shakyamunison
lol

Mostly from the fear that followed.

I want to check out the commercial when I get home, but I can't for the life of me imagine why someone singing a song in another language would be offensive.

If it is because they think English is the American language, then please show me the law.

Digi

Muaah hah hahhh...

Lol. But yeah, kinda.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I want to check out the commercial when I get home, but I can't for the life of me imagine why someone singing a song in another language would be offensive.

That's because you're not a sh*tty human being. Not everyone is so blessed, however.

ArtificialGlory

If it is because they think English is the American language, then please show me the law.

Yea, that's pretty much what they're thinking IMO. That and latent(or not so latent) racism and/or xenophobia.

Shakyamunison
It's a nice commercial.

There is only one thing I can say about those people who are offended:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg

Stealth Moose
I'm so glad I drink the chosen drink of the Aryan-American God-Fearing Folk Who Speak Only English.

http://worldduh.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/facist-beer.jpg

Wait, no, that's the wrong image. I meant this:

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/grapelogic/pepsi-white.jpg

People who are different scare me, but online I can express my inner bigotself and strike at their evil.

Lord Lucien
Ja wohl.

ArtificialGlory
Yogurt flavoured Pepsi? I find that incredibly offensive and disgusting.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Stealth Moose

Wait, no, that's the wrong image. I meant this:

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/grapelogic/pepsi-white.jpg

Jokes aside, that actually looks like it might taste pretty good.
I imagine it would be like Squirt or Sprite in terms of flavor.

Nephthys
Yeah, I think I need to have one now.

If anyones tried it tell us if its good or how it tastes.

StyleTime
Straight up looks like carbonated semen. I'll pass.

That explains the Japanese on the bottom though.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Nephthys
Yeah, I think I need to have one now.

If anyones tried it tell us if its good or how it tastes.

Originally posted by StyleTime

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7147877120/hE363C8DD/

Also, yogurt is evil personified.

Nephthys
My extensive research tells me that its actually pretty decent. Not great, but neither meh. Just like white people. Not quite as cool as black people, but at least we're not Dutch.

Stealth Moose
My extensive research tells me that its actually pretty decent. Not great, but neither meh. Just like white people. Not quite as cool as black people, but at least we're not Dutch.

Them Dutch People.

Also, you just implied you lick white people, which I assume in England must be like a full-time job. The only thing paler than white people in Britain is the bones of dead white people in Britain.

dadudemon
After the first non-English words were sung in that commercial, I knew exactly WTF was up and rolled my eyes (because I'm a sassy teenager). Allow me to share:

1. 96% of people speak English in the US. They knew it would be insulting to many that have learned English and learned some of the patriotic songs (such as my patriotic Mexican in-laws...lol). They also knew it would insult those that think people should come to the US and speak what other 96% speak.

2. Scumbag Coca-Cola: pandering to the people via the Asch Paradigm. Lemme explain why: people will think it is socially unnacceptable to get irritated or even upset over the use of multiple languages in a patriotic song. Therefore, the proper group conformity response is to be accepting of it and be angry at others who are not accepting of it. That's the expected normative behavior.

3. Scumbag Coca-Cola: using a patriotic themed commercial to tug at the heart-strings to sell some product. It is one of the lowest and easiest things to do to try and advertise. Unoriginal. Garbage.

Congratulations to those that were outraged over the multi-language portrayal of a song that would clearly make you upset: you're doing exactly what was expected of you.

Congratulations to all those outraged over the outrage: you're doing exactly what you were expected to do to conform to the group.

Now allow me to revel in my smug sense of superiority because I don't give a flying ****.

ArtificialGlory

Yogurt in Japanese doesn't actually mean yogurt, if you catch my drift.

Stealth Moose
ヨーグルト = Yogurt.

I did not see that on the bottle either.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Yogurt in Japanese doesn't actually mean yogurt, if you catch my drift.

Tell me! What does it mean? evil face

Stealth Moose
Hint:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Seaman_Coverart.png

Shakyamunison
Hint:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Seaman_Coverart.png

eek! No yogurt for me! I'm on a salt free diet.

Impediment
Could we stop discussing semen soda and get back to topic, please?

awermm

Stealth Moose
Bet you never thought you'd be posting that today.

Uh... So... Diversity is good. /thread.

Darth Martin
What's the problem here? Reminds me of this:

Tvdv342eQyE

Just goes to show you how ignorant this country really is.

Lord Lucien
Joke's on you: I'm not in your country.

EDIT: That issue in the video actually is unimaginably retarded. "Despicable" Cenk called it. That's an apt word.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Darth Martin
What's the problem here? Reminds me of this:

Tvdv342eQyE

Just goes to show you how ignorant this country really is.

Wow.

I don't have anything to say. You guys suck.

Darth Martin
I'm sorry. Please elaborate.

Nephthys
Aw, you don't have to apologise for your whole country sweetie.* Huggles!

The fact that people in America get mad just because of an advert depicting a muslim married to a white dude is truly sickening.

*assuming you're americano.

NemeBro
Straight up looks like carbonated semen. thumb up

Pepsi is just flat Coke. That's how it's make. Pepsi takes Coke that has been lying open in the sun for a few days and repackages it.

Darth Martin
Ohhh, "you guys" as in Americans in general.

Welp, can't say I disagree with you. Not sure what the percentage of the those people are but I wholeheartedly agree with you. Absolutely sickening.

jaden101
Not the teeth though.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by NemeBro
thumb up

Pepsi is just flat Coke. That's how it's make. Pepsi takes Coke that has been lying open in the sun for a few days and repackages it.
Flatter, with extra sugar, and less citric acid.

Colossus-Big C
what are americans gonna do when they are a minority in their own country?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
what are americans gonna do when they are a minority in their own country?

What? My family came from Russia, and I'm an American.

Colossus-Big C
no i mean people whos first language is not english

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
no i mean people whos first language is not english

So, Americans can only speak English? If in 100 years from now all Americans speak Spanish, what does it matter? They will be Americans.

Stealth Moose
So, Americans can only speak English? If in 100 years from now all Americans speak Spanish, what does it matter? They will be Americans.

^ This.

Also, 'Murica has no official language. English and Spanish are simply the most widely used languages, but even then minority language groups exist in enclaves all over the place. Think of signs and language use in Chinatowns in big cities, or whole parts of Dearborn MI, which are largely Middle-eastern (folks from Yemen, Syria, etc.)

Also, most countries around the world aren't as insular and people are polyglots to some degree. America has the distinction of being one of the only First-World countries relatively ignorant of foreign languages and somehow proud of it.

Lord Lucien
So, Americans can only speak English? If in 100 years from now all Americans speak Spanish, what does it matter? They will be Americans. Pfff. Hardly.

Bardock42
ヨーグルト = Yogurt.

I did not see that on the bottle either.

It says ホワイト (howaito) = which is white.
ペプシ (pepushi) is obviously pepsi.

So Pepsi White.

Supra
I don't drink coke, Pepsi is better.

bluewaterrider
But things go better with Coke.

Makes a better slush, too.

Supra
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
But things go better with Coke.

Makes a better slush, too.

True, I guess a coke float once a year would not hurt.

Esau Cairn
What I honestly don't understand is why big corporate franchises still feel the need to spend millions in advertising...?

I mean every one knows Coke & McDonalds for that matter. Watching their commercials doesn't make me feel like a coke or a Big Mac, I know they exist, I already know I can buy & consume them if I'm thirsty or hungry.

On the other hand, if Coke or McDonalds used all the funds they wasted in advertising & re-directed it towards charites or saving the environment, then I would be more inclined to consume their products....not because a commercial is telling me too.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
What I honestly don't understand is why big corporate franchises still feel the need to spend millions in advertising...?

I mean every one knows Coke & McDonalds for that matter. Watching their commercials doesn't make me feel like a coke or a Big Mac, I know they exist, I already know I can buy & consume them if I'm thirsty or hungry.

On the other hand, if Coke or McDonalds used all the funds they wasted in advertising & re-directed it towards charites or saving the environment, then I would be more inclined to consume their products....not because a commercial is telling me too.

Esau, your post warrants 2 serious responses.

1. Advertising is designed to work on a SUBconscious level, the level below your actively thinking awareness.

It is therefore effective in ways and degrees that are very, very hard for most people to detect or fully appreciate.

Consider the following for a remarkable illustration of just how powerful advertising can be, in an experiment done with advertisers THEMSELVES being subjected to standard advertising technique:

Derren Brown, the power of advertising (subliminal suggestions, etcetera)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQXe1CokWqQ
6 min 45 sec

2. People have noted nearly exactly the point you're trying to make.

Charities are required to adhere to laws that are the near exact REVERSE of good business practices. It's as if people were trying to make them follow the model of how to FAIL in business, though the people in charities are often trying to perform some of the noblest work of all.

Examine the following. It's longer than the first, but even the first 5 minutes should illustrate the inherent, unfair dilemmas the average charity, as opposed to a standard business, must face.

Dan Pallotta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfAzi6D5FpM
18 min 54 sec

bluewaterrider
Oh, since the first version is without URL parsing for future archive searching purposes, the link version of the above 2 clips:

Derren Brown, the power of advertising (subliminal suggestions, etcetera)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQXe1CokWqQ
6 min 45 sec

Dan Pallotta (the unfair challenges charities face)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfAzi6D5FpM
18 min 54 sec

NemeBro
Originally posted by Supra
I don't drink coke, Pepsi is better. Nope wrong.

Evaluate your life choices and come back.

ArtificialGlory
Nope wrong.

Evaluate your life choices and come back.

I once saw a billboard advertising Coca-Cola and I thought, "hmm, I could really use a coke right about now." So I went and bought a bottle of Pepsi. One of the best days of my life.

NemeBro
Kill yourself.

Bentley
America has the distinction of being one of the only First-World countries relatively ignorant of foreign languages and somehow proud of it.

Eh, France is the same in that regard. I'd argue that France language politics are worse than US's, since they actually hunt down local languages to erase them and refuse to give them any official status.

Because of equality, that is.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bentley
Eh, France is the same in that regard. I'd argue that France language politics are worse than US's, since they actually hunt down local languages to erase them and refuse to give them any official status.

Because of equality, that is.

When I was in Paris (34 years ago), I got kicked out of a restaurant because I didn't speak French. laughing out loud Those were the days.

ArtificialGlory
Kill yourself.

Would you feel bad if I actually did?

Shakyamunison
Would you feel bad if I actually did?

If he did, would that make you feel better? laughing out loud

ArtificialGlory
If he did, would that make you feel better? laughing out loud
Yes.

Shakyamunison
Yes.

But you would be dead! stick out tongue

ArtificialGlory
But you would be dead! stick out tongue
Yes, death is a pretty big obstacle to feeling good about someone's guilt, but I wouldn't let it stop me.

Shakyamunison
Yes, death is a pretty big obstacle to feeling good about someone's guilt, but I wouldn't let it stop me.
Your will power is unbelievable. big grin

NemeBro
Would you feel bad if I actually did? No.

Dramatic Gecko
Read this whole thread... what are you people smoking?

Opinions: Pepsi over Coke (purely over the cooler design don't give a rat'sass that it taste's worse)

And White People in America need to chill... Don't be offended and don't be offended by your brethren being offended. Just shrug, role your eyes and keep doing your white American thing. And you're all beautiful mates.

Dramatic Gecko
When I was in Paris (34 years ago), I got kicked out of a restaurant because I didn't speak French. laughing out loud Those were the days.

34 YEARS!!! You old timer. How can you stand to be on the internet? I mean no offence of course.

ArtificialGlory
No.
Well, well: **** you then.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
34 YEARS!!! You old timer. How can you stand to be on the internet? I mean no offence of course. He's not really old. He just skips ahead in time.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
34 YEARS!!! You old timer. How can you stand to be on the internet? I mean no offence of course.

I have been working on computers for a long time. I first got on line when massage boards were all that existed. I remember in high school playing Star Trek on a computer the size of a car, and it didn't have a screen. Instead, it had a printer that printed out the screen each time you moved. Somewhere I still have that paper tape with the program on it (holes in the paper).

Dramatic Gecko
I have been working on computers for a long time. I first got on line when massage boards were all that existed. I remember in high school playing Star Trek on a computer the size of a car, and it didn't have a screen. Instead, it had a printer that printed out the screen each time you moved. Somewhere I still have that paper tape with the program on it (holes in the paper).
Haha. That's cool.

Nephthys
https://31.media.tumblr.com/a7e718fefba322f20b4062250b530380/tumblr_n0lgrz3LJM1rz77nto1_500.jpg

Thats some quality journalism lady. thumb up

NemeBro
Fake, lol.

Nephthys

ArtificialGlory
Fake, lol.

It better ****ing be.

dadudemon
https://31.media.tumblr.com/a7e718fefba322f20b4062250b530380/tumblr_n0lgrz3LJM1rz77nto1_500.jpg

I'm pretty damn sure Bachmann didn't really say that.

bluewaterrider
http://m.theepochtimes.com/n3/490064-michele-bachmann-bible-written-in-english-coke-meme-isnt-real/

Mindship
massage boards Happy Dance

Originally posted by dadudemon
I'm pretty damn sure Bachmann didn't really say that. Then again, God has one helluva sense of humor.

dadudemon
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
http://m.theepochtimes.com/n3/490064-michele-bachmann-bible-written-in-english-coke-meme-isnt-real/

thumb up

Shakyamunison
I'm pretty damn sure Bachmann didn't really say that.

Truth doesn't matter to the extreme left or right.

Bardock42

Even if it was true (which it isn't (although that lady has said some mind-bogglingly dumb stuff)) she's not a journalist.

Bentley
Am I the only one that understood that post?

Bardock42

Maybe?

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Bardock42
Even if it was true (which it isn't (although that lady has said some mind-bogglingly dumb stuff)) she's not a journalist.

Abuse them parentheses.

Thing is, while this image quote may not be true, it's not so far from her norm that I'd disbelieve it. Bachmann has said some strange stuff before.

dadudemon

I understood (not that it required much effort(but you could be being sarcastic(sarcasm is difficult to pick up on the internet)) to understand) his post just fine.

Shakyamunison
I understood (not that it required much effort(but you could be being sarcastic(sarcasm is difficult to pick up on the internet)) to understand) his post just fine.

The person who posted the post was just saying: "Hey! Look how stupid I am", unless they were being sarcastic.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.