Iron Man or Batman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Firefly218
Who acted better in their role, RDJ as Iron Man or Christian Bale as Batman? Which actor was more significant to the success of his respective movie?

Silent Master
RDJ

Firefly218
Originally posted by Silent Master
RDJ

Why?

Silent Master
Have you seen the movies? Because just about all the reviews I've read and everyone I've talked to agree that Bale is the weakest part of the movies.

Supra
RJD for sure.

FrothByte
RDJ definitely. Can't say I blame Bale though. The way Marvel makes their movies, they focus heavily on the hero and the development of his character.

WB/DC puts quite a bit of focus on their villains and the hero takes a step back compared to the focus of the story.

BruceSkywalker
both were great in their respective roles

Silent Master
That wasn't the question, the question was who acted better in their role and the correct answer IMO is RDJ.

Psychotron
Iron Man was pretty different from the comic book version but so was Batman. Bale was an okay Bruce Wayne and a terrible Batman, his voice almost ruined the movies for me. RDJ was at least charismatic.

Stealth Moose
I have to agree. RDJ wins.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Psychotron
Iron Man was pretty different from the comic book version

How so?

the Tony Stark Persona was spot on from Robert's portrayal.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Kazenji
How so?

the Tony Stark Persona was spot on from Robert's portrayal.

Tony Stark in the comics wasn't quite the smart mouth that RDJ was. Tony comics is a carefree playboy but he's a bit more serious. He isn't the wisecracking, sarcastic, smart mouth that RDJ is. That role actually falls to Hawkeye.

Kazenji
Some of the Iron Man comics that i've read he has been a smart mouth.

Psychotron
Maybe if you're talking about Ultimate Tony.

NemeBro
Originally posted by FrothByte
Tony Stark in the comics wasn't quite the smart mouth that RDJ was. Tony comics is a carefree playboy but he's a bit more serious. He isn't the wisecracking, sarcastic, smart mouth that RDJ is. That role actually falls to Hawkeye. It is more accurate to say that Tony in the comics wasn't a wisecracking douchebag (I mean this with the best of intentions) until RDJ's depiction of the character proved popular enough to make him one.

playa1258
RDJ acted better in his role and pretty much set his career on fire from the IM role.

That said he is not a better actor then Bale who has a supporting oscar win and is up this year for best actor in a leading role.

Psychotron
Bale is > RDJ in acting but his Batman was extremely bland.

FrothByte
Originally posted by NemeBro
It is more accurate to say that Tony in the comics wasn't a wisecracking douchebag (I mean this with the best of intentions) until RDJ's depiction of the character proved popular enough to make him one.

Agreed. Since RDJ's Ironman became a hit, every succeeding rendition of that character has been based on his template, from comics to cartoons. I feel kinda bad for Hawkeye, as he used to be the wisecracking douche of the Avengers team, kinda like Human Torch is for the F4. But since RDJ fills that role in the live action movie, Hawkeye is basically left without much personality.

Stealth Moose
Bale is > RDJ in acting but his Batman was extremely bland.

thumb up

Originally posted by FrothByte
Agreed. Since RDJ's Ironman became a hit, every succeeding rendition of that character has been based on his template, from comics to cartoons. I feel kinda bad for Hawkeye, as he used to be the wisecracking douche of the Avengers team, kinda like Human Torch is for the F4. But since RDJ fills that role in the live action movie, Hawkeye is basically left without much personality.

Yeah, Hawkeye didn't even get much of the film to be a hero, but his lines in Thor were pretty amusing.

Firefly218
RDJ was, to a certain extent, playing himself. Not much acting flexibility required in that. While RDJ's performance was more amusing than Bale's, Bale had to moreso flex his acting talent. Bale had to sell a sharp contrast between Bruce Wayne and Batman. Bale plays Bruce Wayne with a hidden darkness, which is expressed as batman.

Just an argument ppl make for Bale. I agree with the consensus, RDJ was a better Iron Man than Baleman.

Zack Fair
RDJ

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Firefly218
RDJ was, to a certain extent, playing himself. Not much acting flexibility required in that. While RDJ's performance was more amusing than Bale's, Bale had to moreso flex his acting talent. Bale had to sell a sharp contrast between Bruce Wayne and Batman. Bale plays Bruce Wayne with a hidden darkness, which is expressed as batman.

Just an argument ppl make for Bale. I agree with the consensus, RDJ was a better Iron Man than Baleman.

Bale is an extremely experienced method actor, and this survey appears to not reflect that, but Batman is not his best role, through no real fault of his own. The voice was ridiculous, and it stole the from his performance, plus the enemies were more interesting.

BruceSkywalker
That wasn't the question, the question was who acted better in their role and the correct answer IMO is RDJ.

i don't give a frack.. i answered the way i damn well answered

Silent Master
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i don't give a frack.. i answered the way i damn well answered

You didn't actually answer the question though, which was my point.

BruceSkywalker
You didn't actually answer the question though, which was my point.

and i said what i just said

Silent Master
Ok, if you don't want to answer the thread's question, that's your choice.

BruceSkywalker
Ok, if you don't want to answer the thread's question, that's your choice.

can't you read???? I answered the fracking question the way I wanted too.. If you cannot understand that then that is your problem and not mine

Silent Master
What part of my post are you having trouble understanding?

ares834
The first question is entirely subjective but I found both to nail their roles.

As for the second, RDJ no question. He is the reason Iron Man is popular. Bale was just there for the ride.

Kazenji
Maybe if you're talking about Ultimate Tony.

Nope

and this is even before the Iron Man movies made it a template for the recent comics.

Psychotron
Nah, he wasn't like that before the movies. In the Avengers he's basically a rich Peter Parker.

Kazenji
Yeah he was, He had his moments of being a smartarse.

DARTH POWER
Because just about all the reviews I've read and everyone I've talked to agree that Bale is the weakest part of the movies.

I've never once read that, or heard anything but praise about Bale's performance from general movie lovers. Only comic book fans complain about him Imo.

Psychotron

No, he was more serious. Still a playboy and all but not quite like the movies. Can you imagine movie Tony doing something like the superhero registration? I can't.

Kazenji
Let me guess you've never seen it so there for its happened roll eyes (sarcastic)

good one dunce.

Psychotron
Clarify.

FrothByte

Yes he did have moments of being a smartass, emphasis on "moments". RDJ Ironman however is a smartass around 90% of the time.

Estacado
Bale was ok nothing spectacular.
Now Ben Affleck is gonna be the bomb!biscuits

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Estacado
Bale was ok nothing spectacular.

Nah Bale good. Best Bruce Wayne/Batman performance to date Imo. And the general audience really liked him too as far as I've seen. That's part of their beef with Affleck. To most people it's a big step down from Bale.

Dramatic Gecko
While a lot of reviews put Affleck down for Daredevil. I actually think he was a badass in that film and possibly the only time I've liked BA. I think he could be a good Batman. But the director will ruin the next superman anyway.

Oh yeah RDJ.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.