Sochi 2014

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Supra
What are your thoughts of the opening and predictions for the games. Will USA dominate or will Russia pull something off?

Stealth Moose
Russia only cares about hockey really, but they did good so far in skating. The opening was very interesting, but I lol'd at Putin's 31 year old girlfriend running the torch.

I suspect US and Russia will be head-to-head the most, but I wouldn't count out heavies like Germany, Norway, Finland, etc. The latter two have placed in the top 5 consistenty on what little was already on tv.

Tzeentch
Not watching it, to protest Russia being a shithole and not worthy of hosting the Olympics.

Should have done when China was hosting it, too, but convictions change with time.

Stealth Moose
I initially debated not watching it, but some of the participants are being overshadowed by Russia's asshattery. They deserve their chance to win after all the hard work. Or at least some of them do.

In any case, the ticket sales have been horrific and the press impressions of the hotels and such have been even worse. Russia will not come out of this looking good unless they win like every major event.

Tzeentch
That was a dilemma for me, too. It's not fair to the athletes themselves. But, idk. I feel like, as they're athletes, they're there to compete. They don't benefit from the viewership like Russia does.

Omega Vision
I won't watch any of it. I'll just check news sites periodically to see Russia failing and getting belligerent when people keep complaining about their shitty amenities.

I mean, come on, really? Putting the Winter Olympics in the only part of Russia that never gets snow?

Clovie
erm... the history part of opening was a bit too colourful big grin seriosly.. "students" dancing rock'n'roll RIIIGHT big grin

and who says that there doesn't snow, there are mountains in the nearby...
you could say the same about snow resorts in turkey erm

Supra
Originally posted by Omega Vision

I mean, come on, really? Putting the Winter Olympics in the only part of Russia that never gets snow?

This was very very odd..

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Clovie
erm... the history part of opening was a bit too colourful big grin seriosly.. "students" dancing rock'n'roll RIIIGHT big grin

and who says that there doesn't snow, there are mountains in the nearby...
you could say the same about snow resorts in turkey erm
They had to import thousands of tons of snow from other parts of Russia.

Sochi is a subtropical resort.

SamZED

I mean, come on, really? Putting the Winter Olympics in the only part of Russia that never gets snow? thumb uplaughing

SamZED
The weird part is they had TATU perform the opening song. It's a russian lesbian duo. Or at least that's what they used to pretend to be (for popularity's sake) still a weird choice considering that even today they're known as a lesbian duo by most people. Doesn't that fall under anti gay propaganda law? Putin might end up in jail. eek!

Omega Vision
But the jails in Sochi will have been constructed two weeks ago out of cardboard and ducttape (the rest of the seven billion roubles was misplaced), so Putin will smash out of it Incredible Hulk style and proclaim himself Czar. It will be the greatest publicity stunt ever ever.

ArtificialGlory
Putin may indeed as well declare himself Czar at this point.

Omega Vision
He's saving it for next presidential-prime ministerial shuffle.

He'll ramp up to it by having Medvedev take the title of "Khan" during his next presidential term and undergo surgery to appear Asian, so when the time comes to become president again, Putin can don a fur cloak and impale Medvedev on a spear and celebrate the liberation of Muscovy.

That would be funny, if it wasn't honestly half-plausible at this point. no expression

Stealth Moose

BackFire
Every two years I get excited for the Olympics, and every two years I forget just how boring most of it is. Bring on men's hockey.

Supra
Originally posted by BackFire
Every two years I get excited for the Olympics, and every two years I forget just how boring most of it is. Bring on men's hockey.

Sadly its the last daysad

Supra
Norway has 6 golds now, I did not see this coming.

Bentley
Originally posted by Supra

If the Olympics comitee gets the Nobel Prize now it will see rather iffy.

Supra
Originally posted by Bentley
If the Olympics comitee gets the Nobel Prize now it will see rather iffy.

Huh?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Supra
Norway is actually the historical champ of the Winter Olympics, with more gold medals than any other country, including the USA (which is number 2). It would be more of a shock if they didn't do amazing.

Supra
Norway is actually the historical champ of the Winter Olympics, with more gold medals than any other country, including the USA (which is number 2). It would be more of a shock if they didn't do amazing.

Haha I was being sarcastic laughing out loud

Yulia Lipnitskaya from Russia just got a 141 on her free skate, it was the best free skate I have ever seen

Stealth Moose
And she's so young, it's bizarre.

Missed much of the action today, but I had stuff to do. Perhaps tomorrow.

Clovie
WE HAVE GOLD!! first and most probably only, but stilll big grin air force helmet works big grin

Stealth Moose
Ski Jumping too, looks like!

DEM MEDALS.

Netherlands hax.

Omega Vision
My God:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947828-wealth-of-issues-face-2014-sochi-winter-olympic-athletes-fans-and-journalists

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfmfjoTCMAAMPy0.jpg

Thirty billion dollars.

Thirty billion dollars.

Putin must have spent it all on filling the regional aquifer with face acid.

I just can't understand why ANYONE besides athletes, journalists, and weird-life-experience seekers would go to see the games in person.

Supra
Canada wins Gold for Mens Moguls!

Bentley
I just can't understand why ANYONE besides athletes, journalists, and weird-life-experience seekers would go to see the games in person.

There must be many many whores.

Supra
There must be many many whores.

laughing laughing

Clovie
what's the problem with halfpipe?

Supra
Snowboarding tonight!

Supra
We got another gold! Erin Hamlin in Singles Luge.

Clovie
why that guy got banned? just curious... after 10 years..

Shakyamunison
why that guy got banned? just curious... after 10 years..

It was his third strike. But what do I know? Nothing... Just what is at the bottom of Supra's profile.

Clovie
goku blink weird.

anyway. i can't watch ice skating coz my fcking tv doesn't work.

Shakyamunison
goku blink weird.

anyway. i can't watch ice skating coz my fcking tv doesn't work.

Well, I can't watch ice skating because its boring. big grin

Lestov16
My God:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1947828-wealth-of-issues-face-2014-sochi-winter-olympic-athletes-fans-and-journalists

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfmfjoTCMAAMPy0.jpg

Thirty billion dollars.

Thirty billion dollars.

Putin must have spent it all on filling the regional aquifer with face acid.

laughing

I hope Putin is embarrassed and shameful. It's what he deserves for his homophobia, alliance with human-rights-violating dictatorships for no reason other than to spite the US, and overall dickish behavior.

Bentley
Originally posted by Lestov16
alliance with human-rights-violating dictatorships for no reason other than to spite the US

The alliance with dictatorships are ok as long as they are not meant to spite the US, right? thumb up

Clovie
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Well, I can't watch ice skating because its boring. big grin
figure skating sport couples.. it's nice.

boring is hockey erm which they show all the time.

The alliance with dictatorships are ok as long as they are not meant to spite the US, right? thumb up
yep, it's so unkind when other countries snoop into US business all over world...

Lestov16

What? How did you get that from my post?

I clearly meant that the alliance with dictatorships is bad enough, but it's even worse because there's essentially no logical or ethical reason behind it. I mean, the US aren't saints either, considering our alliance with theocracies like Saudi Arabia, but at least there's a pragmatic reason to do so.

Bentley
What? How did you get that from my post?

I clearly

Not enough clarity for me cool

rolling on floor laughing

bluewaterrider
figure skating sport couples ... it's nice.

mmm

Clovie, I was looking at your profile and date of birth.

It suggests you might have missed out on seeing perhaps the most innovative ice dancing couple I've known
(due to being too young to have seen them in their heyday, 12 to 16 years ago).

If indeed you never have seen them before, you may be in for a treat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxXABXBpJM
5 min 37 sec

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(If you have extra time, consider watching this alternate view of that program with different camera angles and with different commentators.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjzkYqtaeH8
5 min 16 sec

Clovie
but it's dancing... I wanted to see sport couples. programs with jumps and piruets..
and our stupid tv is showing same hockey match on 3 diffferent channels at the sme time and ise skating was once, and they've changes channels in the middle.. and i accidentally recorded boring hockey. cry

bluewaterrider
but it's dancing ... I wanted to see sport couples ...

confused

THAT skating program wasn't sporty enough for you?

Did you actually click on either of the links?

Did you already know of those two?

Clovie
I clicked on both. I haven't heard of them. but they were nice.

what i mean is I was watching yesterday short programme, which was a qualification for todays competition.. and I was curious how it went.. those ppl who i saw yesterday.. and istead of that i got hockey.. sad

and in that french couple it was dancing, different category? dunno how to explain, in dancing programmes you don't have jumps and only lift-ups, commentators said they had to make 5 lifts, one of which was girl lifting up a guy (and i think if heard about it before.. but only that part)

Omega Vision
laughing

I hope Putin is embarrassed and shameful. It's what he deserves for his homophobia, alliance with human-rights-violating dictatorships for no reason other than to spite the US, and overall dickish behavior.
Embarassed maybe, but ashamed, never.

And the alliance with Al-Assad isn't just to spite the USA (though that's a bonus), Syria is honestly Russia's last ally in the region, and at this point its made an enemy out of most of the rest of the Arab world, so if Al-Assad falls Russia will not only lose an ally and a naval base, but it will also suddenly have an entire region against it (at which point it would probably cozy up with Iran) and an army of reinforcements for the Caucasus Mujahadeen.

That said, I think Russia is not only morally wrong but also stupid to have gone all-in with Al-Assad. Saving Syria (and what kind of Syria will Al-Assad be able to pull together assuming he crushes all his opponents? Certainly not one as strong as that before the Civil War) was not worth making enemies out of a dozen nations who already felt sympathetic to Russia's most dangerous homegrown enemies and who are now becoming very proficient at signing checks for insurgents.

Shakyamunison
Anyone know where the summer Olympics be held?

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Anyone know where the summer Olympics be held?

Rio de Janeiro.

bluewaterrider
I clicked on both. I heard of . but they were nice.

Glad you liked ... I've found even many non-skating fans appreciate that performance for what Marina did there.

in dancing programs you don't have jumps; only lift-ups,
commentators said they had to make 5 lifts,
one of which was girl lifting up a guy
(and i think if heard about it before ... but only that part)

Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat, for a time, became relatively well-known as far as ice skaters go.
Not too many women before Marina had the courage to try such moves in actual competition.

(She's actually shown lifting the guy twice in either of the clips I linked you to, by the way, not just the one time.)

in that french couple it was dancing, different category? dunno how to explain, in dancing programmes you don't have jumps ...

It's okay. I understand.
Just haven't come across partner skaters doing anything impressive enough for it to register for me the way A&P (Anissina and Peizerat) did.

Hmm. You like jumps, hey?
A&P weren't the only skaters from 1998's France with a bit of daring ...

Pay close attention after the 3 min 20 sec mark of the following clip.

I think I can safely say you will never see a woman do what is done here ever again at the Olympic Level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7yJ4jez68
(Surya Bonaly, final Winter Games performance)

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Rio de Janeiro.

Stealth Moose
New update: Germany in first with 7 golds. Luge ftw.

Clovie
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Glad you liked ... I've found even many non-skating fans appreciate that performance for what Marina did there.

Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat, for a time, became relatively well-known as far as ice skaters go.
Not too many women before Marina had the courage to try such moves in actual competition.

(She's actually shown lifting the guy twice in either of the clips I linked you to, by the way, not just the one time.)

It's okay. I understand.
Just haven't come across partner skaters doing anything impressive enough for it to register for me the way A&P (Anissina and Peizerat) did.

Hmm. You like jumps, hey?
A&P weren't the only skaters from 1998's France with a bit of daring ...

Pay close attention after the 3 min 20 sec mark of the following clip.

I think I can safely say you will never see a woman do what is done here ever again at the Olympic Level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7yJ4jez68
(Surya Bonaly, final Winter Games performance)

YES. I like jumps.

Today there was that guy.. erm.. either American or Canadian, who had fallen down, but still get up, and it looked as if he was really hurting and finished his programme with not bad final result.

AND WE HAVE 2nd GOLD!!! She menaged to win with broken leg!!!!

Omega Vision
So, are the competitions where Russia is dominant still yet to come? Pretty disappointing so far them being the host nation that they're in something like 5th or 6th place both in terms of golds and total medal count.

Stealth Moose
They did do well in figure skating but hockey is where they hope to dominate.

Clovie
We have 4 gold medals!!!!!!

We win in speed skating.. and we don't even have ONE track big grin it was a fireman, who was training on regular field big grin

Stealth Moose
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j361/JanusMarius/Capture_zps736c6f59.jpg

OMG GERMANY STAHP. LET OTHERZ CATCH UP.

Also, Netherlands is cheating with all those golds in speed skating. Very unfair.

Clovie
We have one gold medal in speed skating smoke

Stealth Moose
The line up changed dramatically again. Germany still holds the top spot, but Russia is second, Netherlands third, and US fourth.

Clovie
Belarus got 2 golds in freestyle??? seriosuly? like seriously?

We need mooooreeee cry

Stealth Moose
Yeah, that surprised me too.

Clovie
I would expect USA or Canada or China maybe..

and germans won ski jumping today sad

Bardock42
GERMANY....GERMANY....GERMANY...!!!

Stealth Moose

Clovie
but still, we have more than ever, and we won over dutch in skating. and we don't have a skating field big grin

Stealth Moose
I notice a lot of skating professionals train in the States, at least those few I have seen on tv. It could be that the American announcers deliberately make note of this, but I took note because oftentimes they trained in areas of Michigan near where I grew up.

Clovie
yep, that guy from here was training in USA, not sure where exactly, but he was asking ppl to give him some money so he could go to olympic games big grin and he won, good investement big grin

Stealth Moose
I guess there's not a lot of financial support from governments regarding the games? From my understanding, a lot of it is up to generous sponsors and advocates.

Clovie
our stupid gov is suporrting only football (soccer) erm
building stupid football fields in every village and so on. coz our prime minister loves it.

and all the other sports in which we actually win are ignored erm

Stealth Moose
Our government tried to pass a bill in 2012 to stop military sponsorship of Nascar. I'm uncertain if it even passed.

Governments are unaccountable creatures, using money foolishly, and making enemies over imaginary boundaries.

Clovie
Nascar is car racing?

Stealth Moose
Yes. Specifically, it is the urge to wear numerous sponsor emblems while wasting resources going in circles.

In car, to be more precise.

Clovie
and it's like Formula 1?

Stealth Moose
and it's like Formula 1?

Formula 1 is much better, IMO. However, this slightly biased picture comparison helps with the finer details.

Clovie
red bull as a contructor.. i thought it was bmw

and comparision is a bit too complicated to me, but i got main differences .

Stealth Moose
It's the old Jaguar constructor. Red Bull bought Jaguar from Ford. Although now I think they're Infiniti Red Bull due to new sponsorship.

Clovie
Too complicated big grin

Stealth Moose
Don't worry, I totally looked up the info on Red Bull to seem like I was in the know. I had no clue they were in Formula 1.

Clovie
please... Vettel in Red Bull team was winning a lot of races recently. they said they use red bull as a fuel big grin

Bardock42
Germany are good at Formula 1 too...

Stealth Moose
Youtube asserts that Red Bull is indeed flammable.

Sounds legit.

Bardock42
My parents died in a fire when I tried to extinguish it on them with red bull.

Stealth Moose
Now you stalk Felix Baumgartner for revenge.

Bardock42
I was actually the guy that pushed him out of the balloon.

Stealth Moose
"You killed my parents, prepare to fly?"

Bardock42
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
"You killed my parents, prepare to fly?"

My name is Bardocko Fortytwoya.

It's as if you were there.

Stealth Moose
I had to film his 'jump'. Haven't held my breath that long in forever.

Clovie
Vettel is german, not?

Bardock42
This is currently one of my favourite songs:

M8kHRY3pFkQ

Bentley
Sucks to be swedish in these games, even the french have more golds than them mmm

Clovie
france.. we have more than austria!

Stealth Moose
Norway is close to top spot. Germany had better pick up the pace.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.