My desktop is having intermittent internet connection?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

davesoprano
I work at a doctors office in the state of Maryland and ever since the snow storm that occurred last month, we've been having intermittent internet connection on our desktop, though the laptops we use at the office with wifi still have perfect internet connection.

We get our internet connection through Comcast but they said the problem wasn't their responsibility after they confirmed there was no problem with our modem, which kinda makes sense because I take it our laptops would've been having faulty internet connection as well had the problem been with the Comcast modem.

We recently bought a brand new CPU for our desktop and we're still having this intermittent internet connection problem.

Someone suggested that one of the network sockets might've gotten wet after the snowstorm.

I really don't know what to do now, can someone please help me out with what could be a possible problem and a solution to the problem?

DarkC
Are the desktops plugged in through wifi also or through ethernet cable?

davesoprano
Originally posted by DarkC
Are the desktops plugged in through wifi also or through ethernet cable?

No through an Ethernet cable. It's only one desktop we have.

Stealth Moose
Have you replaced the ethernet cable?

DarkC
Outside of that, since the Wifi appears to work fine, I suggest the work-around of buying a cheap USB Wifi adapter until you can sort out the wiring issue. Could be anything from a crap driver to your networking card to the cable.

Stealth Moose
Yes, those can cost relatively little and they perform pretty well for most internet use, excepting gaming.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.