Is one Shark Attack cause enough for Culling?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dramatic Gecko
Off the coast of Western Australia near Broome. A surfer was killed by a shark. It was the first fatal shark attack in about a decade in the area, but the state government wants to control the population by culling (killing at random) a quota of sharks every year. The East Coast (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne), unlike the west have nets and barriers to keep sharks away from Bondi Beach, the gold coast etc. These barriers kill more than a thousand sharks a year. Can Australia afford to cull sharks on both coasts when a healthy shark population decreases the spread of box jellyfish (the most venomous creature on earth(or at least top three)). Should it be right to make this policy when the surfer went to the beach everyday in his speedos and didn't expect the residents give him a bite eventually?

Stealth Moose
This is like culling all of the bears in Canada to keep hikers safe.

Dramatic Gecko
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
This is like culling all of the bears in Canada to keep hikers safe. And my position is Hikers know what their risking and no one should punish the bears. Or sharks.

jaden101
You could understand it if the sharks were coming on land and walking into a shop and eating the workers before stealing some 1- handed art pamphlets before going back off into the sea.

But given that it's morons going into water they know sharks are in then no.

Shakyamunison
Don't kill the sharks!

Robtard
****ing liberals.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
****ing liberals.

Liberals and conservatives should both go swimming.

Dramatic Gecko
****ing liberals. Honestly the CLP have policies that go against human rights their becoming very cold and calculating... like almost on a nazi level. What their doing to refugees. I'm a little uncomfortable in my country.

Robtard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Liberals and conservatives should both go swimming.

But the sharks.

Shakyamunison
But the sharks.

Yah, I know. Way to much fat.

Dramatic Gecko
The Western Australian Government has announced a $6.85 million package of what it refers to as "shark mitigation strategies". $2 million will be allocated for the Department of Fisheries to track and destroy the sharks, while another $2 million will be spent specifically tracking great whites and setting drum lines to kill them if they come too close to shore.

The great white is a well known threatened species and this plan completely goes against the federal government's White Shark Recovery Plan, which recognizes that the great white shark is fully protected in both Commonwealth and WA waters. Needlessly removing sharks from our oceans would affect the delicate balance of the marine ecosystem, which could be ecologically and economically devastating. The ocean is the shark's natural habitat and humans are not naturally aquatic mammals. This scheme would not create a long term solution to shark fatalities and tax payer's money would be better put towards increased helicopter patrols, more research and better public education about avoiding shark hazards.

^--- Got this from Kat Nelson (a writer)

Dramatic Gecko
How about this:
http://shaaark.com/shark-cartoons/2013/12/STOP-shark-cull-600.jpg

ArtificialGlory
I couldn't care less about sharks, but such a measure seems pretty hysterical.

Digi
Dramatic Gecko seems like a hippy, so instinctively I want to disagree with him. But yeah, obviously, culling is a bad idea. Sharks don't even kill that many people a year relative to pretty much any other animal ever.

Dramatic Gecko
Originally posted by Digi
Dramatic Gecko seems like a hippy, so instinctively I want to disagree with him. But yeah, obviously, culling is a bad idea. Sharks don't even kill that many people a year relative to pretty much any other animal ever.
Don't use the Bee argument. Bees have the statistical advantage of not being in the same place as people nearly all the time. If we lived in water I'd suggest a full on war against sharks. But we don't The money belongs elsewhere else. I believe in a healthy "you bit me first" policy but I certainly don't want to act for some dumb retard in speedos.

And I don't consider myself a hippy. I'm a realist.

0mega Spawn
Peta is about to kick some azz no expression

BackFire
Nuke the sharks. They'd do the same to us if they could.

Stealth Moose
Backfire: Advocate of the strike-first policy.

BackFire
Worked for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
Off the coast of Western Australia near Broome. A surfer was killed by a shark. It was the first fatal shark attack in about a decade in the area, but the state government wants to control the population by culling (killing at random) a quota of sharks every year. The East Coast (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne), unlike the west have nets and barriers to keep sharks away from Bondi Beach, the gold coast etc. These barriers kill more than a thousand sharks a year. Can Australia afford to cull sharks on both coasts when a healthy shark population decreases the spread of box jellyfish (the most venomous creature on earth(or at least top three)). Should it be right to make this policy when the surfer went to the beach everyday in his speedos and didn't expect the residents give him a bite eventually?

That's...,well, just shitty. I thought there was already a huge issue with dwindling Marine life. When man goes into nature, he knows the dangers he's taking on. When nature attacks, Man should respect nature. laughing out loud Now, i'm not saying man shouldn't hunt or kill nature just don't go all Nazi protocol on it.

Shakyamunison
Backfire: Advocate of the strike-first policy.

Kind of, nuke the whales before they evolve and nuke us?

Stealth Moose
Yeah, this is why I punch people in public to keep myself safe.

Esau Cairn
Yeah this sucks.
Even the families of the shark victims pleaded to leave the sharks alone & not to cull them.

Stealth Moose
Australia confuses me, what with the shark culling and the ridiculous censorship in games.

I thought everyone down there had to be super tough and live in the desert and battle kangaroos and dingos for scraps of meat to survive?

NemeBro
Kind of, nuke the whales before they evolve and nuke us? You're frying the wrong fish (Figuratively).

If anything is going to evolve in the oceans to supplant our human-centric regime, it will be the cephalopods.

Epicurus
Originally posted by NemeBro
If anything is going to evolve in the oceans to supplant our human-centric regime, it will be the cephalopods.
Nope, that task is written in the destiny of the amphiprioninae.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by NemeBro
You're frying the wrong fish (Figuratively).

Yah! They are what I always imagine a true alien would look like.

jinXed by JaNx
Kind of, nuke the whales before they evolve and nuke us?

Reminds me of a shirt I had one time. It said f**k the whales, save the refineries. It had a bunch of dead whales floating around an at sea oil rig. I think I was around sixteen or seventeen at the time. I was at the theater getting some popcorn and a lady walked up to me while I was paying and said that I should be ashamed of myself. She said her son said her son asked her why all the whales are dying. Even though I laughed at her...,my popcorn tasted like shit during the movie. I rarely protest anymore.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Reminds me of a shirt I had one time. It said f**k the whales, save the refineries. It had a bunch of dead whales floating around an at sea oil rig.

I saw this mockumentary on Global Warming...how the melting ice caps were raising the ocean level & endangering coastal towns all over the world.

The narrator went on to say how the Japanese whalers had the right idea...for every ton of whale taken out of the ocean, the sea level would drop by an inch...thus the Japanese whalers were actually doing the planet a favour.

The last scene of the mockumentary is the narrator at the beach scooping out any marine life he could catch with his hands & throwing them onto the sand, saying that every little bit helps.

Dramatic Gecko
Australia confuses me, what with the shark culling and the ridiculous censorship in games.

I thought everyone down there had to be super tough and live in the desert and battle kangaroos and dingos for scraps of meat to survive?
Oh yeah... we don nothing about land creatures... you know the dangerous ones... I think we're just paranoid about our coasts.

And **** it I live in the wetlands. Crocodiles prowl the streets **** the dingos.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I saw this mockumentary on Global Warming...how the melting ice caps were raising the ocean level & endangering coastal towns all over the world.

The narrator went on to say how the Japanese whalers had the right idea...for every ton of whale taken out of the ocean, the sea level would drop by an inch...thus the Japanese whalers were actually doing the planet a favour.

The last scene of the mockumentary is the narrator at the beach scooping out any marine life he could catch with his hands & throwing them onto the sand, saying that every little bit helps. eek! I want to see this film, what's it called?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
eek! I want to see this film, what's it called?

It was actually a comedy sketch/mockumentary that went for about 5 minutes. Unfortunately I can't remember the title.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.