Lords of the Fallen (2014)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
bXFAJOQnwJc

K423anCBKKo

We've got yet another amazing action RPG incoming! This game has a lot of comparisons being made to Dark Souls and Zelda. That entire gameplay section looked outstanding. Consider me interested.

Impediment
Looks good. Looks very good.

It's reminiscent of Darksiders and Zelda, if you ask me.

So, is it a massive open world game like Half Life or is it a smaller sandbox like, say, Infamous?

Also, what kind of play time does this game boast?

Kazenji
^ Half-Life wasn't even a massive open world game anyway.

Estacado
So this comes out next week.
Who else is pumped?

Nephthys
I wish I had the cash to be pumped for this. Looks interesting though, love that Dark Souls gameplay.

Estacado
Originally posted by Nephthys
I wish I had the cash to be pumped for this. Looks interesting though, love that Dark Souls gameplay.
thumb up
Looks like Dark Souls to me as well with better graphics.
Dont mind the similarity though.

Interested in the reviews.

BlackZero30x
Looks Great! And yeah it looks a lot like darksouls. Im glad they're just embracing it! I wish it would have had a Darksouls-ish mutiplayer system as well. Anyways im sure it would be amazing anyways!

Estacado
thumb up
That magic gauntlet looks pretty awesome at 35:00.

oROMuRvRLps

NemeBro
Caved in like a punk and pre-ordered.

Mad hype though.

Estacado
Wonder how many spells we will have Im kinda sucker for pure sorcerer characters in rpg games.

I can already tell Im gonna use that magic gauntlet a lot.313

Estacado
First review 9/10

http://www.gamepur.com/news/16716-worlds-first-lords-fallen-review-out-polish-magazine-awards-910-similar.html

One_Angry_Scot
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/lords_of_the_fallen/news/ lords_of_the_fallen_uk_release_date_brought_forwar
d_to_tomorrow.html

Estacado
Just saw a develepor walkthrough where they say after NG++ the game ends.
It's kinda sad...sad

NemeBro
Will probably start playing tonight. I'll share my first impressions then.

NemeBro
My first impression is that this was definitely foreign-made. The broken English in the spell descriptions is charmingly bad.

Ram spell description:

"A powerful charging force that, apart from damaging, can stagger or knock down the enemies."

Adorable.

Tzeentch
racist

NemeBro
Germans aren't a race.

KingD19
They're a Master race.

NemeBro
Beat the first boss.

Game is really fun so far. The comparison to Dark Souls is fairly accurate, but it is overall slower, and feels weightier. I'm playing as a hulking armoured beef tank for my first playthrough. You definitely get the sense that you're a big, heavy juggernaut. I poise through light attacks and even some heavy attacks and stagger the shit out of enemies, but my attacks eat up stamina like its candy. No comment on the story or lore at the moment.

NemeBro
I thought the gauntlet was kind of neat until I realized it was just a lazy stand-in for ranged weapons like bows.

That's not cool at all.

Arachnid1
I'm looking forward to trying this out.

One thing I've been hearing is that the main character is overpowered and that makes the game a bit too easy. How was the first boss for you?

NemeBro
Harder than the first boss of the Demon's/Darl Souls games. / shrugs

The third boss is the first one that killed me. There's a gimmick to him that is pretty ****ing overpowered.

Estacado
So what do you say Nemebro...
Is it worth the price?
Asking cause FC4 is getting close and kinda broke.
I could still play FC on my flashed 360 but I enjoy the PS4 graphics more.

How is magic in the game?
From what I get it's more like meele based with only a few spells.

NemeBro
Yeah, the magic is definitely meant to serve the melee rather than act as an alternative to it. This does unfortunately make the gameplay less versatile than I'd like, but I'm still having fun with the game.

The game is a competent Dark Souls-esque game. There are enough tweaks in the gameplay to keep it from being an outright plagiarism IMO, the visual style is far different and owes more to high fantasy series like Warhammer (Harkyn in heavy armour looks kind of like a Space Marine, lol).

So is it worthy the fifty dollars? Hmmmmmm maybe.

One thing I can say is don't go into this game expecting something as good as a Souls game. It isn't. The gameplay is certainly fun but not as versatile as the Souls games. There is less personality in Lords of the Fallen, both in the characters inhabiting the world and the world itself. The enemy designs are less inspired, the locations less unique (Especially compared to Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls), and so far the bosses are pretty interesting to fight gameplay-wise, but have all been some variation of "big ****er in armour". The game isn't bad, it's actually pretty enjoyable, but don't expect anything great.

So is it worth the fifty dollars? I'd say so, given you go into it knowing what to expect.

Estacado
thumb up
Thanks for the summary.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by NemeBro
Yeah, the magic is definitely meant to serve the melee rather than act as an alternative to it. This does unfortunately make the gameplay less versatile than I'd like, but I'm still having fun with the game.

The game is a competent Dark Souls-esque game. There are enough tweaks in the gameplay to keep it from being an outright plagiarism IMO, the visual style is far different and owes more to high fantasy series like Warhammer (Harkyn in heavy armour looks kind of like a Space Marine, lol).

So is it worthy the fifty dollars? Hmmmmmm maybe.

One thing I can say is don't go into this game expecting something as good as a Souls game. It isn't. The gameplay is certainly fun but not as versatile as the Souls games. There is less personality in Lords of the Fallen, both in the characters inhabiting the world and the world itself. The enemy designs are less inspired, the locations less unique (Especially compared to Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls), and so far the bosses are pretty interesting to fight gameplay-wise, but have all been some variation of "big ****er in armour". The game isn't bad, it's actually pretty enjoyable, but don't expect anything great.

So is it worth the fifty dollars? I'd say so, given you go into it knowing what to expect. Lords of the Fallen is free on Xbox Live guys

I agree with Nemes review of it. Awesome game. Worth 30-40 dollars, and definitely worth getting it free like me. Bosses are badass, with the exception of the second. Bullshit shield boss that took as long as he did just because of his annoying shield. The good news is though, that the bosses after so far are pretty great. The Worshiper and the Champion were good fun.

Another thing I want to add is that this game has outstanding level design. Everything interconnects and levels weave through eachother kind of like Bloodborne, as opposed to the terrible level design of Dark Souls 2. It does get kind of confusing sometimes though. A map would have done much here.

Its basically DS lite, though it does have its own personality. Not as great DS of course, but still an aesthetic world. I also love the options as far as weapons and armor. My character looks like a member of the Wild Hunt

The enemy design is also unique and varied in both appearance and fighting style, which is great.

It's also not as easy as people have reviewed. Once again, I'm assuming this is because of Dark Souls players. Its not as hard, but it's still more challenging than most games that come out these days.

IMO, this game doesn't deserve the flak its gotten. The majority stems from Dark Souls players I think, who were expecting a more high fantasy DS. Its outstanding, as a game in its own right.

One criticism I want to throw out there though, is that once you get other pieces of armor or weapons, your current ones become obsolete. Its not like DS where you can keep your favorite weapon the entire game and upgrade it. Armors have a bit more forgiveness here though, since it has the same roll system as Dark Souls 2. As long as your weight is under a certain level, you have medium rolls or fast rolls as opposed to fat rolls. Mixing and matching armor pieces to stay at a level and playing "Fashion Souls" is a thing here.

Another criticism, like Neme pointed out, is the lack of long range fighting. The gauntlets are a lazy stand in for bows, crossbows, and spells.

Last criticism for now; the story is absolute trash. Typical high fantasy fare with no personality of its own. Play it as a dungeon crawler, and don't focus too much on the story outside of objectives.

Jmanghan
You also don't get to make an OC, which, while negligible, was one of my favorite feature's of the Soul's games.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Jmanghan
You also don't get to make an OC, which, while negligible, was one of my favorite feature's of the Soul's games. Yeah, thats a bummer. I'm not a fan of the dude we're stuck with either.

Also, my game wont let me continue. I just beat the beast boss, and leveled my character all the way up to 50. Now the game wont let me leave the area I'm in. Everytime I do, it freezes and crashes out. This is on console. I've crashed out 20 times now trying to find a way out thats not glitched.

I've resorted to uninstalling the entire game and reinstalling. I got back into my game, only for the same thing to happen. I cant continue, and I'm not going to risk starting over only for this to happen again. I'm done with Lords of the Fallen. Bullshit end. Just when I was really getting into it too.

:/

Dark Souls 3 cant get here soon enough.

Arachnid1
So I caved and gave the game one more chance. I started this morning, and beat it just now. It was much shorter than I was expecting. I beat it in 10 hours, there were 10 bosses, and technically 4 areas (catacombs, citadel, castle grounds, and Rohgar Dimension). There was much more backtracking and having to find your way around the world that I thought there would be. Its cool that everything was interconnected the way it was, so it felt like a Bloodborne style "open world", but the overall world was half the size of Bloodborne, and thats being very, VERY generous.

Overall, it was worth a play through. Thats about it though. Too much backtracking for me to brave New Game+. I've already seen all the areas many times over on my first (two) playthroughs.

I'm disappointed in how easy the game was overall in the second half. I beat every boss with the exception of the Annihilator and Judge on the first try. The former took 2 tries and the latter took 3. They game gave you some unreal damage on weapons towards the end. I was rolling around with an almost 300 damage great ax with a poison rune one shotting everything 2/3s of the way through the game.

The first half of the game was far superior the the second half IMO, since difficulty was a bit more balanced, and you were seeing all the areas for the first time. Due to lack of overall content, this game is not worth anything more than 20 dollars IMO. Get it free on xbox while you can. You'll have fun.

BTW, here's a speed run of the game. Dude beat it in 40 minutes. :/

OydHIIXcPZU

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.