How GREAT Lord of the Rings is compared to Harry Potter and how it COPIED LOTR.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cermiestar
Hello! I am kinda new to these forums, though I am a mOvie FREAK and I don't know why it took me so long to find this place...anywho I was kinda thinking about how BAD Harry Potter was and how GREAT Lord of the Rings was. big grin Anyway, Harry Potter COPIED Lord of the Rings so BAD. I mean giant spider in Harry Potter? *coughs* Shelob. Ok. here is my list of things J.K.Rowling has COPIED from Tolkien.

1. Obivously the giant spider in Harry Potter vaugely resembles...who am i kidding, almost EXACTLY resemble Shelob in Lord of the Rings.mad

2. Dementors. Hooded and cloaked figures in black who bring fear into wherever they pass. You cannot see their face. I am sorry, but this is almost DIRECTLY out of Tolkien.mad

3.A Dark Lord. Volemort is actually referred to the Dark Lord at some point....i am sure he is. Anywho, if I'm wrong, it is something very similar to the name "The Dark Lord". Anyway, Voldmort is defeated and is quiet for years.....but his spirit still lives on in a very weak form, and he is getting stronger and gathering more supporters. I am sorry. But HELLO! J.K.Rowling is not the amazing individual author everyone thinks her to be. .mad

I have a ton more but i can't be bothered to post them. YOU do it. I wanna see how many I can find.

Corran
There's Wizards in Both.

Ushgarak
Oh, yeah, great. Harry Potter is steeped in fantasy mythology, like LOTR. How it MUST be a rip off then... gee...

mah
yeah! what rediculous nonsense it all is!

justinday15
harry potter sux

turin
dude i agree, i think harry potter is crap and that they did rip off LOTR. first off it seems suspicious that right as LOTR movies started to come out a harry potter movie is rushed and put out. plus they showed up in theaters a month before LOTR. i feel it was an etempt to still LOTR thunder, which i think fellowship would have done better if not for Potter. second playing the devils advocate here, tolkien is the major influence in fantasy so it would be hard for them not to have similarities, but there is an awful lot of them. Just my opinion though as i am sure there are many people who love potter (look at the box office). i just look at it as a child friendly fantasy, where as LOTR has a much more earthy realism to it, that might scare younger children.

duffy
I still havent let myself see it and i dont plan to.the thing i hate most about it is the fact that silly wee kids think it is soooooooooo much better than lotr.

Ushgarak
Tolkien freely admitted that his own work was derivative. Everything takes influence from other things. Potter has done it very well and in a STAGGERINGLY popular fashion, too. It deserves the kudos it gets and there is no reason for it to be in competition with LOTR at all.

Captain REX
The Chamber of Secrets was better than the first. They are both great books/films. Honestly, I really don't care.

1. Who cares if there's a giant spider in both books.

2. There are lots of things with hooded, dark monsters in it. Hell, I used something like that for a story.

3. You might as well say that Star Wars copied Tolkien then. Vader was a Dark Lord, we'd better sue.

cermiestar
Come to think of it. Star Wars DID copy lotr......EVIL GEORGE LUCAS.

cermiestar
SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS! SUE GEORGE LUCAS!

Ushgarak
And Tolkien ripped off a load of Norse mythology; shall we sue his estate whilst we are at it?

hayden's minx
Yes I agree with Ush this could go on forever but comeon, JK rowling could really have tried to cover up her rip of of lotr i mean ~ Wormtongue / Wormtail ~ Same Name you poor excuse for a writer, Jesus hasn't Copyright taught you anything~ suffixes don't count (nor do prefixes for that matter)!?
Oh yes and I suggest any haters of Harry Potter should try to read Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody by Michael Gerber oh yeah and while you are there read Bored of the rings ~ Now thats copyright infringement!

cermiestar
Yes! Wormtounge/Wormtail. They are both traitors to the Dark Lord. Now THAT is obvious.
No-on OWNS the Nordic legends.

Ushgarak
Oh, that's all right, just because they were written before copyright existed then it is no longer plagiarism... it's the same thing, regardless of legality. And that point is moot anyway as no-one seems inclined to sue, and for good reason because a case based on what has been said here would be feeble.

LOTR and Potter explore fundamentally different things.

cermiestar
No, it's WAY different. Tolkien used the Nordic legends for INSPIRATION and he TOTALLY admitted it and said he was fascinated with it and that it really INSPIRED him. No where in J.K.Rowling's movies, books any of her franchise does she say that she took ideas from Tolkien, whereas Tolkien did say he took a lot of his stuff from Nordics legends to create a modern myth.

cermiestar
ha

Ushgarak
If you asked Rowling if she took inspiration from other fantasies then the answer would be a resounding yes. But it is not even close to plagiarism.

I mean, the 'school for Wizards' thing had been done a hundred times before. Wizards, Withces, the spells, the hero prophecy boy... it is ALL classic fantasy cliche but who the hell cares? It is just done well.

cermiestar
Yeah but she would never say "i stole lots of my ideas from Tolkien" would she?

mah
no, because that is pointless. it seems to me some of you have read very little fantasy literature; there's work that's far more similar to LOTR; but not that there's really anything wrong with that. just the way it is in fantasy, lots of cliches.

cermiestar
Ok. I have read PLENTY of fantasy literature. PLENTY. adn sure there are lots of fantasy cliches, but none with so close or so many "simirallities" to lotr as harry potter.

smoky
Cermiestar how could you say that star wars is bad?
i know where you live by the way........well not exactly, i know your fone number.......

cermiestar
dude, "smoky" dude i never said it was BAD. Though I don't actually like Star Wars...that is my own OPINION! I am ALLOWED one. right? I just said that Star Wars ripped off Lord of the Rings. Not A LOT. just a bit. and u even said so urself. u and hannah were discusing it while i was trying to watch LOTR.
Oh no. Now i am going to get killed by the millions of Star Wars freaks round the globe.

*retreats to corner and curls up in a ball* confused

smoky
for like the 100th time

cermiestar
I don't do it purposely. And smoky, don't forget YOUR star Wars freakaholic days. I know there are photos SOMEWHERE.

cermiestar
SOMEWHERE!

Kiwifrodo

Ushgarak
Some of those don't check out.

Kiwifrodo
Which ones? As I said I wrote it a year ago...

Ushgarak
Well, there were four HP books before the films, for a start.

Kiwifrodo
Yeah but that dopesn't negate the truth of that statement. Yes JK Rowling had written 4 books in TOTAL, which also means that 3 were written (just not including the 4th).

Ushgarak
Yeah but you may as well say they were both written on paper for all the relevance that has for saying they are similar.

Kiwifrodo
Yeah all right, whatever.

turin
well in my opinion, Tolkien inspired many authors and you cant look at a modern fantasy novel without being able to see similarities. Now in saying that all those authors would say that they drew inspiration from tolkien. now with Harry potter i am sure that the author wouldnt deny that there was a tolkien influence, but the sad thing about potter is that it is a more blatent rip off. when certain characters are so similar (even in name) it appears obvious that this has crossed the line of inspiration to rip off. there is just too many things in common. now i know that tolkien drew inspiration from norse legends and even quenya was inspired by an ancient form of finish, but he was trying to create a mythology for Europe so where better to draw from than the legends that already exist. Rowling was trying to create the almighty buck.

cermiestar
That is a better list than mine kiwifrodo! i am dead impressed.

Lle ume quel

Dexx
I won't even bother to vote in this thread. And not only because i don't fit into any of those options.
I don't especialy like harry potter but i'm really not that bothred with it.
I think it's even good, for kids...and i probably would've loved it 5 years ago.
After submerging into tolkien's world i really don't care how they say lotr is plagiated. Because i KNOW it's not. So why bother to argue..

cermiestar
Because it it FUN!

Dexx
smile that's a dumb answer

cermiestar
sad I'm a dumb personsad

cermiestar
No I'm not. smile

cermiestar
hi. again. i am NOT dumb person. and it was SO not a DUMB answer.
anywho. i have a site! it is REALLY cool!.

www.geocities.com/ejlogic

GO! it is cool!

Dexx
smile spam!...that's pretty dumb too
tisk! tisk!...wasting web space around like that

cermiestar
Spam? what spam?

Dexx
i don't remeber it exactly nut i think it's:
stupid pointless advertising message. (i'm not sure about the stupid pointless partsmile)

basicly..don't advertise in a post. Just write the link or whatever in your siggie and everyone's happy.

Ushgarak
Tolkien was trying to make a mythology for England, specifically. VERY specific; he wouldn't even accept British.

Dexx
i think the elves are german in origin.

Ushgarak
Uhh, we could be until the end of time debating the origins of fantasy mythology.

Anyway, I think it is extremely flimsy to try and accuse Rowling of plagiarism on such vague grounds especially as the two works are so fundamentally different. Also not worth criticising her just because she wants to make money. In any case, she brings joy and pleasure to millions and opened up their imaginations and the source of much criticism from the LOTR community is simply because some Tolkien fans are annoyed that anyone could like anyone else more.

Well, they can and do, and Rowling deserves all the praise she gets for achieving that.

cermiestar
Britain, England. basically the same thing. adn dude. my site is way cule. it deserves to be in the post.

cermiestar
Hey u know in iceland. they TOTALLY believe in elves. they won't build over ground where they think elves live. Isn't that COOL!
Anywho. Rowling is just not aware of copyright infringement lawas.

Dexx
no advertising message deserves that.
Besides....why would you want to make a site that interests noone. Those are just personal data of yours.
Besides..i only took a short glimpse...but is that just HTML code?

Ushgarak
Tolkien was rather direct about specifying England and not Britain, as I said.

And yes Rowling DOES know them, and has broken none. Else she would be being sued.

cermiestar
No. u must be using a strange browser. and hey, my site is very interesting. please don't diss it. Personal data?

Dexx
no matter...back on topic.

cermiestar
She has being sued already. and i LIVE in britain/england. it is BASICALLY the same thing. B-A-S-I-C-A-L-L-Y

Ushgarak
It's not the same thing at all, basically or otherwise.

She is not being sued by Tolkien's estate, that I have heard.

cermiestar
Do u live in England?

Captain REX
Cermiestar, this is a British owned site. Most of the most active members live in the UK or nearby. England, Netherlands, Belgium, Norway...

I, on the other hand, am a Californian boy from the USA. That makes me different. And what does it matter if you live in England?

JK is not being sued for anything right now.

Harry Potter is a good book/movie in my opinion. Lord of the Rings is a good book/movie in my opinion. If I was a mod I'd probably close this because it is somewhat pointless and you keep advertising your site, which is what we call spam, btw.

You can put the link with your Hello Kitty! pic if you want.

Ushgarak
Cermiestar thinks I cannot know what I am talking about unless I live in England, which is odd to think, but it only takes a glance at my details on the left to see that I do anyway (at least, I imagine most English people would know where Essex is).

As for the topic... obviously spamming is frowned upon, and the poll is a bit pointless, but if people want to talk about how Tolkien has influenced just about all fantasy written since his (and I prefer terms like 'influenced and inspired' as opposed to 'copying and plagiarism) then that is fine. Though no-one should forget how 'influenced' Gandalf was by Merlin... in fact Gandalf pretty much IS Merlin with a different name.

cermiestar
Ok. 1) i will not "spam" anymore. but that is a stupid rule anywho.
2)if u didn't like the topic why did u come in here anyway?
3) this is a british site? that rox. and yes it does matter if u come from england.

cermiestar
adn btw, it is because of u, i quote, "Californian boys from the USA" that JK.Rowling had to change the name of the first harry potter book.
What is wrong with "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone?"
You know they had to film each scene where they mentioned the stone twice. Once with Sorcerer and once with philosopher. That is just dumb.
There is a whole mythology behind the philosopher's stone. why did it have to be changed for the americans anyway?

Dexx
i can't realise how this movie/s (HP) can stear up so much controverse.

turin
ya, it is kind of an odd movie to be sturin the pot. now somewhere i heard this and it might have just been a joke i completely fell for, but i had heard that the story of Hary Potter was ripped of from some story some guy wrote in the early 1900's with a similar name. Im not trying to spread propaganda but it seemed a little far fetched so i thought i would ask everbody and find the truth to it.

Dexx
all i know about hp origin is that it was written as a bed time storry.,

mah
nonsense

Ushgarak
It was changed to Sorcerer's because it American publishers seem to think their reading public is dumb and would not know what the Philosopher's Stone is.

turin
and where did you get that information from or are you assuming. maybe the publishers felt or maybe even did some studies determining that the different name is more marketable in the US. not that they did a study and felt we were dumber.

Ushgarak
They think it is more marketable because they do not think enough Americans recognise what the Philosopher's Stone is, and would not buy the book ebcause of the word 'Philosopher' and so they turned it into something meaningless. This is effectively making out that American kids have less knowledge than those in the rest of the world. This sort of thing has happened before. That is just how it is. It is a ridiculous situation.

Captain REX
Are you meaning to imply, Cermiestar, that I am a stupid Californian who has no idea what the word Philosipher means and that it is my friends fault and mine, as well as the rest of the population of the California State? I take that as an insult, just so you know.

Also...

1) I'm glad you won't spam any more.
2) I came here to this thread because I have the freedom of choice and can do as I please.
3) Yes, it's a British site, and NO it DOES NOT MATTER if you live in England.
4) Why do you keep numbering your points?

BackFire349
california is a beautiful state. i also live here and i dont see the connection between the name change and being californian. seems to me something only a fool would think is connected.

Captain REX
Well said. smile

cermiestar
Ok. Because of the time difference or between America and England, u r posting at like 2am in the moring by my time.
1)hello. they do believe in elves in Iceland. it is NOT nonsense. Have you been to Iceland? Well I have and they divert roads and stuff just so they don't build on these Elvish places. so don't tell me it's nonsense.
2)People, I am not trying to imply that Americans are DUMBER than the rest of the world. Though there might be some truth in it.....KIDDING. really. And i was not referring to California specifically! I was quoting something u said. Like referring to ALL americans by saying whatever it was i said about california. Like MOST americans refer to all British people as being Londoners. STEROTYPES. Every country does it to every other country. Ok, yes I am from london, but i do not speak in a cockney accent, i do not speak in the queens english and no, i am not on speaking terms with teh queen. EVERY COUNTRY HAS STEROTYPES. see my point? anyway, i am not implying you are all stupid, just that the publishers were making a stupid decision in changing the name fro america just cos they THOUGHT that they were more stupid than the rest of the world.
3)I am glad u r glad i am stopping with the spamming. *curtsies*
4)I DO NOT THINK ANYTHING TO DO WITH BEING CALIFORNIAN AND HAVING A NAME CHANGE IS CONNECTED. note above : social steryotypes and quotes.
5)Why do i keep numbering my points? I do not know.

turin
JUST A TEST TO SEE IF I GOT MY SIG RIGHT

turin
well how do you know that they felt like we were dumberer. I never heard that stereo type that we are dumberer then everyone. i just think sorcerers stone sounds more exciting then philosophers stone.

cermiestar
Yes but u are licing in america aren't u.

cermiestar
yes but u r living in america. aren't u. u wouldn't know ALL the sterotypes about ur country would u.

cermiestar
And it is a well known fact that publishers thought americans wouldn't understand philosophers stone.

turin
true i wouldnt know all the stereotypes, but how is it well known that the publishers thought we would be to dumb? i havent followed this movie at all so i dont really know anything about the publishers or any stories that pop up about the film.

cermiestar
I don't know, it was in the news a while back. But they assumed it and they should be the ones u r asking. NOT ME!

Ushgarak
It is what the publishers said, that is why. It was in the news at the time.

They didn't say you were too dumb, obviously, they said you would not get the reference. But everyone else in the world seemed ok. So it seemed to be making out that the US publishers thought American kids didn't know as much to get the reference, which is nonsense. It was silly.

cermiestar
Yes! i agree! that is what i was trying to say....but Ushgarak did it in much fewer words than me....and it made more sense.

Captain REX
Of course, he lives in England. roll eyes (sarcastic)

turin
k well i guess it was a smart move on there part since i dont have any clue what a philosophers stone is. i mean i can make a guess just by the name, but is there like a legend or myth or something to do with a philosophers stone i dont know about that goes beyond what the name suggests?

Ushgarak
Yes, it is a mythological reference.

Captain REX
Care to elaborate, Ush? Did she steal the idea from mythology?

Ushgarak
'Steal' is a ridiculously harsh word to use, seeing as The Philosopher's Stone is one of those general mythological things that all fantasy draws from. It is no more copying to use it than to use Wizards, dragons or Magic Wands.

It is simply the same given to the fabled material that could turn lead to gold and give everlasting life. The search for such materials obsessed people for centuries in the past.

Potter put it in, rather directly, as have dozens of things in the past. What it is is described in the book just as all the other weird stuff is and no readers in any part of the world other than the US thought the title was a problem. The original title would almost certainly not have been a problem in the US either, it all comes back to the bloody publishers.

Captain REX
Oh, the gold and everlasting life thingy...

kjm87
I never realised just how copied Harry Potter was. That book which JK Rowling stopped from being published somewhere - Tanya Grotter - who was very similar to Harry is no different to what she wrote being similar to LOTR. Wish I'd known that earlier and I'd of never bought the books.

mah
oh, pulease! that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard today. the situation you described is in no way similar to harry potter vs. LOTR. you're far off the hook here, mister, get some common sense into your judgement.

cermiestar
Yeah! whatever "mah" said!

turin
mah!!! i cant beleive you would attack someone like that just for sharing their opinion. telling someone that they need some common sense, when all they are doing is voicing an opinion is ridiculous.

mah
but someone who has no grasp of reality needs to get common sense in their arguments! it's not an opinion it's untruthful nonsense, and that's a fact.

Captain REX
I agree!

turin
well saying that they have no grasp of reality is kind of harsh considering the only thing being argued is a difference of opinion. you state your views as fact or i should say that apposing views are nonsense is fact. actually there is really no facts in the argument, it is all a matter of opinion. no one knows what the authors intents were when writing Potter, so it is up in the air.

mah
it's not much up in the air though, is it? we're talking about a story, Tanya Grotter, clearly a blueprint copy intent on making money cause of the equal title. downright plagiarism in other words. on the other side is arguments about Harry Potters similiarities to LOTR. highly questionable at best; sure it's fantasy, and there are wizards; and gee! some even have the same type of typical fantasy names. woop-de-fecking-doo!

yerssot
Tanya Grotter?
if that's the russian version mah, it's not plagiarism, because they simple don't have authers rights in Russia

mah
please read the previous posts in the thread

preston mullins
If you take all the letters that spell 'H-a-r-r-y P-o-t-t-e-r' and jumble them around and mix them up and put them in a blender, they actually end up spelling 'F-r-o-d-o B-a-g-g-i-n-s'.

preston mullins
Oh yeah, California has better waves than England. Therefore, California has better surfers than England. Therefore, the surfers in California are more experienced and one could say "smarter" than English surfers. Californians are Americans. So, one could now say Americans are indeed smarter than the English. See.

However, many Californians have roots spawned from England. Therefore, the smart gene came from England. So, one could say that in every Californian is an English surfer trying to escape. What does this all mean? Well I'll tell you.

Remember the part in Harry Potter II when Harry stabs that giant snake in the head with that sword. Remember where Harry got that sword? He pulled it out of a stone. Harry Potter actually copied "The Sword In The Stone."

So, now that I completley make absolutely no sense, please make me stop. I'm having a smart ass moment on a computer and I need to be put down. Thank you if you enjoyed my wasting your time.

preston mullins
P.S.

I don't really think Americans are Smarter than the English (or vise versa.) I don't even know why I went there. But I do know this. I like Harry Potter and I like Lord Of The Rings. They both derive from the same good vs. evil stories that have existed for centuries. In fact, they both utilize the 'hero myth' which spawned the 'hero paradigm.' Just about every story dealing with a quest, a vision, a sword, or a ring, came from these roots. I once read somewhere that there are only twelve ways a story can go. For example, tragedies, comedies, horror flicks, muppet movies, they all have to end some way, and there's only twelve ways. They all copied the Illiad. And the Illiad copied the Rosetta Stone.

What I like about both movies is that you can start each movie anywhere, be it the beginning, the middle, toward the end, and it will envelope your senses with the music, the visuals, the sound effects, the twists the turns, the Ents, the Mandrakes! It's all good. Every story has been done, it's just how you do it that makes it worth while.

preston mullins
Okay, enough of me.

mah
yes, enough of you; no need to post 4 posts after another.

Ushgarak
Hang on! The Rosetta Stone wasn't a story! The Iliad based itself on a lot of Greek Mythology (in the same way fantasy today draws on contemporary mythology) but not on an Egyptian royal edict!

The significance of the Rosetta Stone was in its aid to translation.

cermiestar
Helloooo again!
big grin big grin

cermiestar
Hello. I am BACK after my long absence of what 2 days?
he he.
anyway.
I'm going back to numbering my points. If anyone has a problem with that set up an online petition and I'll CONSIDER stopping doing it.
1)Preston Millans can make as MANY posts as he want, he only made 4 and they make more sense than all of my 32. Except for the americans cleverer than the english thing.....
2)Can someone explain what the Rosetta stone is?
3)I heard that thing about Tanya Grotter and it SO obviously was a fake thingy. one written after J.K.Rowling published Harry Pothead, sorry, i meant to say POTTER.
4)What are the 12 different endings?
4)

cermiestar
Why are people not with the voting on the poll?

yerssot
not many visit this lotrplace and many don't like to vote

cermiestar
But...but...but

Ushgarak
I think people aren't 100% happy with the poll options.

The Rosetta Stone was a vital find in understanding Egyptian Hieroglyphs. Hieroglyphs are so different to other written forms of language that, without a point of reference, it was near impossible for anyone to understand anythinmg beyond the mere basics.

The Rosetta Stone WAS that point of reference. It contained a royal proclamation given around 196BC in Egypt. Vitally, the message is given in three languages on the tablet. One of the languages was Egyptian, and one was ancient Greek, which we CAN understand. Once the Greek was translated to English (or more to the point, French, as they found it), we knew what the Egyptian Hieroglyphs there meant in English as well and from there the whole of the ancient Egyptian language was unravelled. Mostly.

Captain REX
If only there was a Rosetta Stone for the Maya. Then it wouldn't be such a crap trying to figure it out.

btw, Preston, Harry Potter didn't pull the sword of Godric Gryffindor out a stone. He pulled it out of the sorting hat.

preston mullins
Sorry about those four posts in a row, I was bored last Saturday Night. I don't know much about the Illiad or the Rosetta stone, just some stuff to throw at all you all. It'll never happen again.

Captain REX
I don't give a damn if you post 4 times in a row, it's fine with me. But I forgive you anyway. big grin

I bought a book containing the Iliad and the Oddysey. They would make good movies if I could understand them at all...

cermiestar
Ok. thank u for explaining stuff.

Now who wants me to change poll options?

Captain REX
Well, you can't. The poll has ended, and only mods can change the options.

But a change in options would be nice.

mah
well...meh. no real reason to get this thread up again, the name of the thread itself makes the poll biased.

thetwotowers
ok I love LOTR and Tolkien but a lot of things have cloaked dementors and wizards and a lot stuff- the best part of LOTR is ELVES

Ushgarak
Rex, isn't a movie about Helen of Troy being made? And coming out soon?

Captain REX
Well, it was made for the television, or so I believe. I read a review that said it was crap. It basically gave the "If you like massive wars with bloody killing, sex, and a bad version of a good plot, watch this film!" sort of review.

Oh well...

Now I have to get cracking on the Iliad. It would be easier if it didn't say 'spake' and 'sate' (speak and sit) every ten seconds.

cermiestar
Helloo!
I know that thing about troy! They are making that movie with sean bean and orlando Bloom aren't they?
la la.
What do you mean only the moderators can change the poll? anyone know any moderators???
Ok, so if i DO get to change it, what do people people want the poll to be????????????
can i just say something REALY cool????/i am signed in at school wrting this. and i signed in cos i remembered my password! i remebered it! I NEVER remember what password i use for what...so i am quite proud. ok that was boring but anyway......

mah
I'm a moderator. Ush's a moderator. but I see no real need for this poll to be ressurected.

Ushgarak
Don;t forget the Aeneid, Rex...

Captain REX
Aeneid's a story right? First I'd like to finish the Iliad/Odyssey 1000-page book that I have.

I've forgotten if the Aeneid's a story because I haven't study the Greek since last year or so.

cermiestar
can someone change the poll? PLEASE!

Ushgarak
The Aeneid is a Roman story but in the same continuity as the Odyssey; it's about a Trojan Prince.

Is there muich point in changing the poll, Cermiestar? It's closed, all done and dusted.

cermiestar
It's CLOSED?

Ushgarak
Yup. I didn't do it so either Mah did or it expired.

cermiestar
aw. sad

Ushgarak
Mind you, I could always open it again... what did you want done to it?

Captain REX
Last I checked she wanted to make some better choices to seem fare to those who like Potter.

cermiestar
SHE! i do have a NAME. I dunno. What do people want for a poll?
i have a question,
What does the C stand for in KMC?

Ushgarak
com.

cermiestar
then y the capital C?

maul's woman
You can't compare the two. HARRY POTTER is meant for kids between the ages of 8 and 13. LOTR is for teens and adults. Theres a difference.

but I really enjoyed them both. I have no problem.

Christ!!! The food in HP was driving me MAD!!!! I wanted to jump in the movie just to eat the food on the dang tables!!! ARGH!!!

turin
Mauls women i get what your saying but i read LOTR at 10. this thread is just kind of poking fun at the similarities and despite what it might sound like i think from previous posts i think that both are great especially considering they are getting kids to read more. you are right when your talking about the movies though (maybe thats what you meant) LOTR might scare youngins.

maul's woman
I'm not saying it will scare them. I'm saying that LOTR is on a more advanced level than HARRY POTTER. This is a mythic tale mainly compared to HARRY POTTER and its on more of an adult level.

Phoenix
Yes. I am 8-13. (Note the sarcasm...)

And I read Lotr when i was 7, so therfore, kids enjoy lotr, and teens/adults enjoy harrypotter!!

ALL books, and I mean ALL, are based at least vaguely on an existing story/poem/idea etc. POSSIBLY the first book EVER was original, but it was probably based on the Ug's Fairy Tales...

Feel free to yell at me if I am abusing sarcasm...

turin
I know, I AM saying it will scare them. my nephew who was 8 was scared to death of the ringwraiths (and all the scenes of aragorn and arwen kissing)

cermiestar

Ushgarak
Ahh, well, if you want to talk Harry Potter and nothing else, then it is best done in the Harry Potter area, I think!

cermiestar
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. HATE HARRY POTTER.

maul's woman
Tolkien didn't write the epic with children in mind per se. But neither did Frank Herbert, but there are some kids who can appreciate the stories to a degree.

cermiestar

Phoenix

cermiestar
Anyone would probly be better than Chris

maul's woman
I don't get what you were saying about Herbert, Cermiestar.

What do you mean by 16.99 pounds sterling?

cermiestar
Who's frank Herbet?

Ushgarak
Ok, this has just become silly now... closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.