Marvel Deities

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
Ok so I've always loved mythology. The first big kid book I got as a girl were a collection of stories about greek mythology. As I aged and progressed along with my nerdom, I embraced comics and indulged my fantasy in more modern day myths.

Fast forward twenty years and im a thirty three year old anime nerd chick lol. Anywho this thread is to discuss marvels gods and goddesses of 616 earth. And precisely why said gods (outside of Odin, Thor and Loki) aren't given the screen time they deserve. ESPECIALLY THE GREEKS! But also the Egyptians, Japanese folklore gods, Norse, etc....oh and to keep it vs forum related we get a free for all.

Which pantheon is the strongest?

And which god (deceased or living) needs a boost.

zopzop
Which pantheon is the most powerful in comics?

In Marvel : the Norse

In DC : the Greek

Which God(s) needs a boost?

In Marvel : ALL non Norse Skyfathers because this sh|t is ridiculous

In DC : Darkseid and the other New Gods

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by zopzop
Which pantheon is the most powerful in comics?

In Marvel : the Norse

In DC : the Greek

Which God(s) needs a boost?

In DC : Darkseid and the other New Gods

thumb up

Sin I AM
Isn darkseid and the new gods more powerful than the Greeks?

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Isn darkseid and the new gods more powerful than the Greeks? Depends on the Writer.

DarkSaint85
There was a cool Hindu mythology comic nook series for which I only got the free comic sampler; the art was decent for me, and I always get a kick out of it.

In terms of pantheons, new gods are top in DC, then the Norse, by far. I really liked the concept of the Skrull pantheon, though.

CatL18

They are featless,but,They rival Odin by statement.

pym-ftw
Zeus & more importantly Hercules need to see more panel time, so maybe I can see a return of the West Coast Avengers. I feel a revival of that could help alot of underutilized properties get respect.

I think until Mighty Avengers and Avengers AI die we won't see it though.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Zeus & more importantly Hercules need to see more panel time, so maybe I can see a return of the West Coast Avengers. I feel a revival of that could help alot of underutilized properties get respect.

I think until Mighty Avengers and Avengers AI die we won't see it though.

I don't think Hercules is a serious enough protagonist to me to compel a writer to do solid feats

Insane Titan
Though he's not a god but could be classed as deity etc, I think Mephisto needs to be pushed as more of a uber power

Igniz
I don't think Hercules is a serious enough protagonist to me to compel a writer to do solid feats

To be fair, Herc had a listing on the 8 volumes of the Incredible Hercules arc.Herc at least appeared in 4 mini-series.He even starred in a team book titled Champions.Herc has been more of a goof ball character unlike Thor.He's made to be comedic.The Hercules encounters Galactus is a prime example.Herc was shown truly inferior to Galactus in that encounter.But at least Herc made Galactus laugh so hard because of his buffoonery.

As for this thread.I feel Marvel should start delving into other Pantheons of Gods.Especially the ones that are rarely known.I will agree that the Norse are getting much attention compared to the Olympians.Hence why people seem to view the Asgardians are the most powerful Pantheon.This is due to them having multitudes of appearances.Hence why I said Marvel should start delving into other Pantheons of Gods.They did a book on the Pantheons of Gods on Earth titled Thor and Hercules Encyclopedia Mythologica.I think people would find it interesting.

As for a God who needs a boost?Ares really needs a boost.But not just by upping his strength.The writers should give him weapons that would at least put him on Herald Level.They should make him an antagonist again.He doesn't have to be a copy of DC's Ares.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Igniz
To be fair, Herc had a listing on the 8 volumes of the Incredible Hercules arc.Herc at least appeared in 4 mini-series.He even starred in a team book titled Champions.Herc has been more of a goof ball character unlike Thor.He's made to be comedic.The Hercules encounters Galactus is a prime example.Herc was shown truly inferior to Galactus in that encounter.But at least Herc made Galactus laugh so hard because of his buffoonery.

As for this thread.I feel Marvel should start delving into other Pantheons of Gods.Especially the ones that are rarely known.I will agree that the Norse are getting much attention compared to the Olympians.Hence why people seem to view the Asgardians are the most powerful Pantheon.This is due to them having multitudes of appearances.Hence why I said Marvel should start delving into other Pantheons of Gods.They did a book on the Pantheons of Gods on Earth titled Thor and Hercules Encyclopedia Mythologica.I think people would find it interesting.

As for a God who needs a boost?Ares really needs a boost.But not just by upping his strength.The writers should give him weapons that would at least put him on Herald Level.They should make him an antagonist again.He doesn't have to be a copy of DC's Ares.

Yea ive read his mini. He's a great character and all but like u said a goofball.

I think asgard should take a vacation and this is coming from a serious thorbag. Id like to see the chaos king resuface (albeit in a smaller role) or the Canadian gods make their presence felt outside of alpha flight.

Ares had ab excellently written series. .he def needs to return.

Igniz
I think asgard should take a vacation and this is coming from a serious thorbag.

Although a lot of people might disagree with you and me in that.I don't mind if the Asgardians took a vacation.But knowing Marvel, they're not ready to do that.I could Imagine Thor and some Asgardians going from other Pantheons of Gods on Earth on a mission for Asgard or something.

Id like to see the chaos king resuface (albeit in a smaller role) or the Canadian gods make their presence felt outside of alpha flight.

Chaos King resurfacing in a smaller role?I could imagine them doing an origin story first explaining how the Chaos King emerged in the Japanese Pantheon.Ama-No-Kagaseo comes in mind.According to the cult that worships Mikaboshi, he was the one who heard the voice of Mikaboshi(aka Chaos King) and then agreed to become its vessel.I don't mind seeing the Inuit Pantheon,Celtic Pantheon, or some other Asianic Pantheons appearing in Marvel comics.

Ares had ab excellently written series. .he def needs to return.

Agreed with this thumb up

Sin I AM
Inuit Pantheon would be awesome

Wonder Man
I'd like to see Hercules fight the Juggernaut with his Adamantium mace.

pym-ftw
I don't think Hercules is a serious enough protagonist to me to compel a writer to do solid feats that's why I said a revival of the WcA would be helpful. You can explore the Greek pantheon without bogging the story down with flowery bs.

Sin I AM
Amadeus cho had that mace last time I checked

DarkSaint85
What would you guys think about a focus on the Chinese pantheon?

pym-ftw
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
What would you guys think about a focus on the Chinese pantheon? As in Buddhism? Or Taoism? I don't think either has "gods" though.

DarkSaint85
As in Buddhism? Or Taoism? I don't think either has "gods" though.

Taoism, and they have benevolent deities, I guess.

zopzop
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/chin_deities.htm

Sin I AM

Wouldn't that be deemed offensive

-K-M-
Isn darkseid and the new gods more powerful than the Greeks?

He is, beat them and enslaved them more then once.

Inuit Pantheon would be awesome

They exist, their called the Inua

http://78.imagebam.com/download/0HNxXzA-XxpUXTtgzS7OGg/5280/52798410/EncyclopediaMythologica-0030.jpg

Sedna has matched evenly with Thor before.

-K-M-
What would you guys think about a focus on the Chinese pantheon?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Nidaime-Sama/EncyclopediaMythologica-0062.jpg

pym-ftw
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/chin_deities.htm none of the Buddah are gods though, but I guess marvel could portray enlightenment as a means of immortality

-K-M-
none of the Buddah are gods though, but I guess marvel could portray enlightenment as a means of immortality

Bam!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/Nidaime-Sama/EncyclopediaMythologica-0019.jpg

0mega Spawn
I think sun wukong deserves respect in a comics and media
Coolest diety ive heard of

Immortal
master of all magic
His weapon is supposed to weigh like 1000 tons
Master of all fighting styles

Id wager hed kick the shit out out most other deities alone

Sin I AM
He'd b watered down

Stoic
I'd be interested in the African ones to be honest. They even have a Thunderer named Tilo if I am not mistaken. I would also like to see Cytorrak fleshed out more to see exactly where he compares to Odin, and other deities of myth.

Rage.Of.Olympus
In Marvel, obviously the Norse Gods are by far the most influential and also the most powerful. Heck, even the most influential Gods in DC (The New Gods) are post-Ragnarok versions of Marvel's Norse Gods and you can see some of the heavy influence Kirby's Asgard had in shaping them.

I never understood why people are upset or surprised the Norse Gods are the most popular pantheon in Marvel. It's like complaining about Superman/Batman in DC, the Universe is simply built a certain way. The Norse Gods were pretty much the defining pantheon for like 30 years or so. Before there was the Abstract Death, there was Hela, before there was TOAA or whatever all-powerful being you prefer, there was Odin. How many characters or concepts have debuted and originated in the Thor titles over the years? It never ceases to amuse me how some people complain about how Asgard messes with the Cosmic scene when the entire landscape as they know it primarily developed in the Thor comics.

I have no problem with other pantheons getting more exposure and what not but actively putting the Norse Gods on the back burner? That's just dumb imo. I don't even know how that would work. Thor by definition brings the Norse Gods into play. No Thor in Marvel? Maybe for a year or two tops.

Epicurus
The Monkey King is an infinitely cooler character than Thor(both mythological and comic versions).
He'd b watered down
Depends on who's writing him. If it's Pak, then I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up getting the Mikaboshi treatement.

DarkSaint85
During Fear Itself, they actually had Sun Wukong.....what happened to that mini series?

It was watered down, but was actually quite interesting.

Igniz

You guys really need to pick up and read the Thor and Hercules Encyclopedia Mythologica big grin It has details of 20+Pantheons of Gods.

But just in case the 2 of you don't want to, here's the Chinese Gods/Taoist Gods in the Marvel Universe.They're known as the Xians.

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx18/bagsikdangal/EncyclopediaMythologica-0062.jpg

DarkSaint85
Hehe K-M posted the scans already - but yeah, a focus on them would be good, especially as they already exist in the Marvel U.

One of the better things to arise from Fear Itself (even though this scene predated Fear Itself apparently):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3msk4ocHFCQ/TnK7vLDMT-I/AAAAAAAAJ9E/8-oVM0siYHo/s1600/ironman2.0.png

Igniz
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
In Marvel, obviously the Norse Gods are by far the most influential and also the most powerful. Heck, even the most influential Gods in DC (The New Gods) are post-Ragnarok versions of Marvel's Norse Gods and you can see some of the heavy influence Kirby's Asgard had in shaping them.

I never understood why people are upset or surprised the Norse Gods are the most popular pantheon in Marvel. It's like complaining about Superman/Batman in DC, the Universe is simply built a certain way. The Norse Gods were pretty much the defining pantheon for like 30 years or so. Before there was the Abstract Death, there was Hela, before there was TOAA or whatever all-powerful being you prefer, there was Odin. How many characters or concepts have debuted and originated in the Thor titles over the years? It never ceases to amuse me how some people complain about how Asgard messes with the Cosmic scene when the entire landscape as they know it primarily developed in the Thor comics.

I have no problem with other pantheons getting more exposure and what not but actively putting the Norse Gods on the back burner? That's just dumb imo. I don't even know how that would work. Thor by definition brings the Norse Gods into play. No Thor in Marvel? Maybe for a year or two tops.

To be fair, I'm not upset that the Asgardians are getting more exposure.Its just that if you keep seeing them, and only them.It becomes tiresome from time to time.I did say that I agreed the Asgardians need to be put on vacation.But I also noted that Marvel isn't ready to do that.I did say that the Asgardians would at least interact with other Pantheons of Gods.Other Pantheons of Gods have Evil Gods to that would do harm to mortals or take over the world.Wouldn't mind seeing Thor battle the Thunder Gods of other Pantheons.I was actually surprised at that Ironman comic were Thor mentioned the Goddess of wind,rain and lightning of the Diwata Pantheon.The Diwatas after all aren't that famous compared to other Pantheons of Gods.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_udWlKsgbKY8/SEhxv56P2YI/AAAAAAAAAHg/CglZgENtP6Y/s400/Kind+Words+-+Thor.jpg

Makes you wonder if Thor and Anitun Tabu were just friends or former lovers lightbulb

Igniz
Hehe K-M posted the scans already - but yeah, a focus on them would be good, especially as they already exist in the Marvel U.

One of the better things to arise from Fear Itself (even though this scene predated Fear Itself apparently):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3msk4ocHFCQ/TnK7vLDMT-I/AAAAAAAAJ9E/8-oVM0siYHo/s1600/ironman2.0.png

Cool scan.The Monkey King making a monkey out of someone laughing out loud

DarkSaint85
This was his depiction in Fear Itself. I personally enjoyed it...

http://pulllist.comixology.com/previews/JUL110598/0/

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus

Was this directed at me? I feel like it was. Anywho im complaining about diversity. Marvel needs to expand. It becomes stale rebooting the same characters and same themes. I love the Norse Gods I just think that we need to explore more pantheons and not just earth ones...negative zone, other planets etc. Gaea is the glue that holds them all together. Im sure a story could be fleshed out.

Kazenji
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
I think sun wukong deserves respect in media
Coolest diety ive heard of

He does

never heard of Monkey Magic?

Igniz
Was this directed at me? I feel like it was. Anywho im complaining about diversity. Marvel needs to expand. It becomes stale rebooting the same characters and same themes. I love the Norse Gods I just think that we need to explore more pantheons and not just earth ones...negative zone, other planets etc. Gaea is the glue that holds them all together. Im sure a story could be fleshed out.

I think it wasn't just directed at you.It seems directed to every people who thinks the Asgardians are getting too much exposure.And I agree that it does become stale rebooting the same characters and themes.Although its also true that Thor comics did introduce other Pantheons like the Celtic and Egyptian.But even then these Pantheons no longer appear that much.The Ares series fully introduced the Japanese Pantheon known as the Amatsu-Kami.I think Marvel should make a segment known as challenge the writers upon writing a story of some Pantheons of Gods.For example, a reader would say "Make a story about (Insert name of Pantheon here)" the Gods of the (Insert Culture/Race/Country here). Because for me, the best writer that delves in the story of rarely known Pantheon of Gods, is the best writer.Because that shows how creative the writer would be cool

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Igniz
I think it wasn't just directed at you.It seems directed to every people who thinks the Asgardians are getting too much exposure.And I agree that it does become stale rebooting the same characters and themes.Although its also true that Thor comics did introduce other Pantheons like the Celtic and Egyptian.But even then these Pantheons no longer appear that much.The Ares series fully introduced the Japanese Pantheon known as the Amatsu-Kami.I think Marvel should make a segment known as challenge the writers upon writing a story of some Pantheons of Gods.For example, a reader would say "Make a story about (Insert name of Pantheon here)" the Gods of the (Insert Culture/Race/Country here). Because for me, the best writer that delves in the story of rarely known Pantheon of Gods, is the best writer.Because that shows how creative the writer would be cool

Meh Rage is just butthurt stick out tongue , but I like that concept. I am taking a creative writing class, and a story that i wrote was entitled 'Gods Among Men'. Basically, it dealt with all "gods" leaving fed up with their cretion i;e earth take to the stars and decide to create a new pantheon with each perspective pantheon skyfather giving up their leadership role and voting or one God Above All..then creating new life in that galaxy. and the repercussions it caused on earth with their absence. of couse u would have some gods like Thor, Herc, Snowbird not wanting to leave. But they are all forced to depart for the greater good or what have u....I got a c to i still liked the story

Colossus-Big C
I love this Scan, Here its confirmed apollo (marvel god) is a planet buster.
Anyone have the scan with the words on it?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/133338/3417916-9066145970-14890.jpg

Colossus-Big C
Apollo Vs Hulk

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/52156/1640322-incredible_hulks__621_019.jpg

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by Kazenji
He does

never heard of Monkey Magic?
I meant in all media
Meant to be a joke... i see now it wouldn't have been funny if i even posted correctly.

Ya know donnie will play him in an upcoming movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.