Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Joker
Do you guys consider Avatar: The Last Airbender or The Legend of Korra to be anime?

Sacred 117
I don't see why not, but I guess I'll just wait to see where this goes.

marwash22
anime isn't a genre of animation, it's just animation made in Japan; Avatar is an American production, so no, it's not Anime.

KingD19
While Avatar is technically "Anime", the creators have drawn heavily from the anime genre as a whole. So even though it's American, it's as close as one can get to Anime without being true anime.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by marwash22
anime isn't a genre of animation, it's just animation made in Japan; Avatar is an American production, so no, it's not Anime.

RWBY is American made, and it's classified as an anime.

ares834
Originally posted by Sacred 117
RWBY is American made, and it's classified as an anime.

Then any one who considers it as an anime is wrong.

Marwash is right, if it's not made in Japan it can't be anime. Now I'm not going to scoff at anyone who calls Avatar an anime as it is very similar to many of them but technically, when you get right down to the definition, it simply isn't.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by ares834
Then any one who considers it as an anime is wrong.

Marwash is right, if it's not made in Japan it can't be anime. Now I'm not going to scoff at anyone who calls Avatar an anime as it is very similar to many of them but technically, when you get right down to the definition, it simply isn't.

Pretty much anyone does. I'm not saying that's cause for belief, but that's just whatevs.

We'll just have to meet in the middle on the issue then. Personally, I don't see nationality as reason enough to say whether something "is" or "isn't" in this case.

Q99
RWBY is much more anime-style than Avatar... AtLA may be in an Asian setting, but it's still pretty western in a lot of ways. There's some differences in animation and writing styles.

ares834
Pretty much anyone does. I'm not saying that's cause for belief, but that's just whatevs.

We'll just have to meet in the middle on the issue then. Personally, I don't see nationality as reason enough to say whether something "is" or "isn't" in this case.

There is no "middle ground". Anime is Japanese animation. If it's not Japanese animation (RWBY isn't) than it's not anime.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by ares834
There is no "middle ground". Anime is Japanese animation. If it's not Japanese animation (RWBY isn't) than it's not anime.

I get that anime is defined that way. I just simply don't 100% agree with it.

marwash22
Originally posted by KingD19
While Avatar is technically "Anime", the creators have drawn heavily from the anime genre as a whole. So even though it's American, it's as close as one can get to Anime without being true anime. "Samurai Jack" would actually be closer to true anime than Avatar, i think.

marwash22
I get that anime is defined that way. I just simply don't 100% agree with it. how can you disagree with a fact?

Sacred 117
how can you disagree with a fact?

"Disagree" as in "I don't think it should be that way."

Q99
"Samurai Jack" would actually be closer to true anime than Avatar, i think.

Yes, it imitates the style more.

SSJGGogeta
Ares is right, Avatar is NOT a real anime. It's like saying that Double Dragon is real Chinese food. It just isn't. Avatar is an American imitation of an anime, not an actual anime. No, it is not racist to say that, because it's just a simple fact. Anime is Japanese, pizza is Italian, beer is German, and it being from a different country only defines its origin.

When it comes down to it, you can say it's an anime all you want, but it simply isn't. It's an American imitation of anime.

lol though, I was actually arguing with a dude on Youtube about this recently.

Sacred 117
That, I can understand, but as with the things you listed, can others not too create them? Anime would, of course, remain culturally bound to Japan (though indulged anywhere), but does it necessarily have to be made there?

SSJGGogeta
That, I can understand, but as with the things you listed, can others not too create them? Anime would, of course, remain culturally bound to Japan (though indulged anywhere), but does it necessarily have to be made there?

You're over-thinking things. If everyone who made Avatar had trained in being an authentic Mangaka in Japan, then Avatar would be a thousand times better, and a legit anime. If a Japanese dude made it, it would be an anime. The quality wouldn't be very high if he was just some random guy, but it's exactly like I said. Since a bunch of American guys made a cartoon as an attempt at an anime, it's not an anime. It's simply an American imitation of an anime. Nothing more, nothing less.

Q99
Avatar's really not even an imitation of anime. The animation style is very western.

Based
Originally posted by Q99
Avatar's really not even an imitation of anime. The animation style is very western.

On some cases yes, others no. They draw a lot if inspiration from anime. The first time spirits were introduced, they drew a lot form Princess Mononoke.

But yes it's not anime. Still very good it's just not anime.

I don't understand your confusion here. Just because it's Asian doesn't mean it's similar. While Avatar certainly draws inspiration form anime, it isn't.

Avatar primarily deals with Chinese culture and mythology while Korra expanded it as a fusion of 1920 America. Very little of Japanese culture is actually in this show.

Even if an anime has nothing to do with Japan they still sue the language the honorifics, the art style, whatever. Asian =/= anime.

SSJGGogeta
Originally posted by Based
I don't understand your confusion here. Just because it's Asian doesn't mean it's similar. While Avatar certainly draws inspiration form anime, it isn't.

Avatar primarily deals with Chinese culture and mythology while Korra expanded it as a fusion of 1920 America. Very little of Japanese culture is actually in this show.

Even if an anime has nothing to do with Japan they still sue the language the honorifics, the art style, whatever. Asian =/= anime.

Thank you. Someone else who actually understands that Chinese and Japanese are different, lol. If he doesn't understand from all the explanation, then I think he's just not comprehensive enough to get it.

SSJGGogeta
"Disagree" as in "I don't think it should be that way."

That literally doesn't matter at all. If I didn't think that 2+2=4, it doesn't change the FACT that is does. Avatar is not an anime, and your opinion has NOTHING to do with that WHATSOEVER. It's not a Japanese animation, so it's NOT an anime. You're not even making an argument, you're just suggesting that something might be wrong without giving any indication as of how or why you think so.

It is a fact. Your opinion does NOT matter(in this instance), and does NOT change it.

yungz22
Doesnt it have to have a manga in order to be considered anime.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by yungz22
No.

There are some mangas derived from animes.

Edit:
To answer the question, NO. Avatar is NOT Anime.
It's an Anime-inspired American cartoon, but NOT a true Anime.

SSJGGogeta
Originally posted by yungz22

lelno

NemeBro
If you're outside of Japan, no, if you're inside, then yes.

Originally posted by Q99

Implying that there is but one art style or animation style used for anime, lol.

King Joker
So may I do A: TLA & TLoK versus in the anime versus section?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.