What is the best translation of the Iliad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NemeBro
I plan to read the Iliad within the near future, but I'm not sure which translation to read.

I am aware that some translations are in prose, but I have a strong preference for reading the poem as, guess what, a poem.

Any suggestions?

Omega Vision
Look to see if Norton has a translation of the Iliad and use that one, because Norton is basically a guarantee of quality.

NemeBro
Norton's translation, from what I could gather, cuts out a lot of the poem (Referred to as the passages not essential to the narrative but eh) and the way it is described leads me to believe it was written in prose, which is a no go for me.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by NemeBro

I plan to read the Iliad within the near future, but I'm not sure which translation to read.

I am aware that some translations are in prose, but I have a strong preference for reading the poem as ... a poem.

Any suggestions?

Read a Richard Lattimore translation of The Iliad.

55iopy
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Read a Richard Lattimore translation of The Iliad.
Agreed. Lattimore's translation is the best for modern readers. It's entirely orose though, so it sacrifices the epic poetry. If you want a sense of the poetry try the Robert Fagles translation.

jsimonharris
The translation by Robert Fagles is definitely the best. His translation isn't always a perfect match with the Greek, but it is great poetry and it really sweeps you through the action. The translation by Alexander Pope is worth reading, as well, if you don't mind an older style of writing; many people still view his as the best.

I'm actually working on my own translation of the Iliad, in the meter of the original Greek. I am publishing it in weekly increments on my website. I can't post a link because I'm a new user, but the url is just my username dotcom. If you are interested, I encourage you to follow along as I write it and post comments and suggestions. Either way, I'm glad to see others who are interested in the Iliad!

sarahroxon
This will be a new proposal you can refer to, slope game this is a version of the most popular game. Control the ball to go on the endless path in the game and win the top spot.

Doafima
Translation quality plays a significant role. Your impression of what you read depends on this. What if it's an audiobook or a movie? there is also a role played by the voice and the acting. Therefore, I only use vidby https://vidby.com/ for dubbing videos in English and German. They have a lot more available though. And just you can choose the language and emotion for voice acting.

maxkvinton
Thank you. It is very useful ingormation for me

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.