You vs Zombie Apocalypse

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

zopzop
Been playing the Walking Dead game and reading the comics (both are stupendous) and this thread came to mind.

Grandmaster approaches you and challenges you to a game, he'll tp you to the Walking Dead universe (comic/game/show world is the same just focuses on different characters) and if you survive for 365 days, he'll grant you immortality.

You are tped in the Walking Dead universe 400 days after the zombie apocalypse hit (just like in the game and comics). This means that anything that can be scavenged is probably already gone.

To make life easier for you he gives you a choice of powersets, you can only choose ONE from the list. Once you select your powerset the game begins. Keep in mind you ONLY have the powerset, not any other skills the character possesses (for example if you choose Solo, it doesn't make you an expert marksman with guns).

The Powersets :
1) Solo (Marvel character). Limited teleportation ability.
http://marvel.wikia.com/James_Bourne_%28Earth-616%29

2) Blue Jay (DC character). Shapeshift into a Blue Jay.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Jay_Abrams_%28New_Earth%29

3) Classic Angel (Marvel character). Flight, eagle eyes, and increased lung capacity.

4) Classic Beast (Marvel character). "Olympic" level gorilla speed/stamina/strength.

Which do you choose and why?

Odekahn
Probably Blue Jay. One thing about TWD universe is that Walkers aren't the only threat. Being able to shrink down to 7 inches and the ability to fly helps you move around AND stay hidden.

zopzop
Originally posted by Odekahn
Probably Blue Jay. One thing about TWD universe is that Walkers aren't the only threat. Being able to shrink down to 7 inches and the ability to fly helps you move around AND stay hidden.
Yup, he's my first choice too.

Not to mention you can stay in bird form for most of the time and eat seeds and crap and stay alive.

Much easier to find food, run, and hide from zombies/hunters as a small bird than as a full grown human being.

pym-ftw
Beast and I live out a year eating Wolves in northern Canada.

zopzop
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Beast and I live out a year eating Wolves in northern Canada.
Beast got some cold immunity that I don't know about? Because unless he does, you're not surviving a Canadian winter.

PS, this is YOU + the powerset only. You know how to hunt and skin/cook wild animals?

Flyattractor
I would go with The Beast.
Just cause I think being a bird would suck. They may be fast and easily hid but they have other weakness that can get you. You are hardly capable of fighting off adversaries if trapped in a tight corner. I would bet that Beast with his nice thick blue fur could fend off a weak zombie bite strength ratio and the ability to practically call up almost any surface would be handy in an escape. Plus with human esque hands using tools and weapsons is still an option.

zopzop
Originally posted by Flyattractor
I would bet that Beast with his nice thick blue fur
This is "Classic" Beast. This guy :
http://cdn.filmschoolrejects.com/images/Original-Beast.png

Flyattractor
eh.. I would still go with Beast. Heck Classic Beast would probably be easier. Less chance of people opening fire on me if I don't look like a Blueberry Sasquatch.

guy222
I win

pym-ftw
Originally posted by zopzop
Beast got some cold immunity that I don't know about? Because unless he does, you're not surviving a Canadian winter.

PS, this is YOU + the powerset only. You know how to hunt and skin/cook wild animals? yes, both fire arms, knife fighting and combatives on top of survival training and with class 5ish strength I can build a cabin and just chill.

Pun not intended laughing out loud

Digi
Maybe Angel. The bird is too fragile. Or can he fly in human form too?

I'd fly to an island with no zombies and live off of coconuts for a year. Or just somewhere uninhabited...not necessarily an island. To be safe, I might rummage until I found some plant seeds so that I could grow my own crops. Anyone land-based, regardless of power, is still a caught-off-guard moment away from being a Walker.

KingD19
Beast could easily barricade himself inside a high rise or something like that. And whenever he wanted to get back inside, he could just climb up the side.

DrDeadpool
Beast is the best option.

Silent Master
I haven't read any Solo stories in years, what are the limits of his teleportation?

KingD19
Seems like Solo has a highly advanced, fortified, probably stocked with food, etc... secret base. And from that base, he can teleport anywhere in the world and back.

That plus all the weapons and tech he has...I think he's the easiest choice if he gets all his stuff.

Bentley
I don't trust the frigging Grandmaster, he'd probably just give me inmortality but I'd end up dumped in the zombie universe and zombified for eternity or some crap like that.

So I'd choose a powerset to both, survive the zombie apocalypse and defeat the Grandmaster conclusively. I'd pick up teleporting.

First of all, I'd use my powers to mark four spots around the world that appear in any of the Walking Death comics or media. Then I'd go around surviving by eating fruits and vegetables on the amazonic jungle. After my time is done I'd challenge the Grandmaster to a second game, so he has to stay on top of the marks I did on the world for ten minutes, but since he has cosmic awareness to find them, I'd ask him to shut down his powerful senses and that he sends me to my original universe in order not to interfere with his search. Then, in our actual universe I'd rip off the comicbook with the Grandmaster on it to get rid of that cosmic pest, as he's to appear in a panel I predicted and prepared properly before leaving the universe.

Those damn games.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Odekahn

thumb up

Nice thread btw zopzop! smile

Silent Master
The best description of Solo's tp limits that I could find said that he could teleport himself and items in the immediate vicinity up to hundreds of miles at a time but that long distance or frequent teleports made it's use harder to sustain.

I can easily live with those retrictions, so I'll take the teleportation powerset.

zopzop
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
thumb up

Nice thread btw zopzop! smile
Thanks LoM!

Guys keep in mind, this is 400 days (like the game DLC and comic) after the zompocalypse. This means that :
a) supplies are non-existent (good luck scavenging stuff)
b) the majority of the planet is zombified. The zombies may be slow but they are strong enough to punch a hole straight through a human torso and pull out entrails to eat (being surrounded by them is a bad idea).
c) the surviving humans are battle hardened, emotionally scared people that won't hesitate to kill. If anything, the human hunter/killers are MORE dangerous than the zombies

Also keep in mind, you need to find enough food/drink to keep you alive for the entire year. You have to survive the elements. If you get sick (that airborne 'exploding lung' virus would suc)/cut/break an arm or something, you are screwed.

Also keep in mind you are entering this world in a totally random location, so -
a) you need to determine your location (if you want to head to a specific area/city/country)
b) mobility is a must since if you choose to migrate from your current location to someplace safer, you can't just take a car or something
Should have mentioned that in the OP but it was too late to edit.

DarkSaint85
I go with Blue Jay.

He's essentially Angel with none of the drawbacks (size etc) so Angel is out. The only time I can see Angel being an advantage is if I appear to a religious commune and pretend to be a bonafide angel, and they protect me.

Beast would need way too much food.

Solo might also be useful, but wasn't sure how often he could teleport a day.....

zopzop
Originally posted by KingD19
That plus all the weapons and tech he has...I think he's the easiest choice if he gets all his stuff.
You don't get any of that King. Just his powers, which is only teleportation.

@DarkSaint85 and Odekahn
Blue Jay also has another ace up his sleeve power wise. When in Blue Jay form, he's NOT a mammal. Things like the common cold, flu, etc.. that target only mammals wouldn't work on him. That right there is another huge plus.

DarkSaint85
Until we get avian flu..

Does he actually become a Blue Jay, or does he just shrink down to that size?

zopzop
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Until we get avian flu..

Does he actually become a Blue Jay, or does he just shrink down to that size?
DERP!

The costume and wings threw me off. No he doesn't transform into an actual Blue Jay (booo sad ). But he can fly in either size.

MF DELPH
I'd take Beast's powers and make myself a base of operations in a place with a lot of high rise buildings. I'm strong enough to carry supplies high up to my perch and can scale high walls quickly so I'd be able to stay out of the reach of walkers pretty easily. Also since most major cities are overrun the chances of running into a crazy survivor within the large cities is pretty low.

Flyattractor
Thanks LoM!

The zombies may be slow but they are strong enough to punch a hole straight through a human torso and pull out entrails to eat (being surrounded by them is a bad idea).

So the Zombs are WAY stronger in the game then they are in the comic or tv show I take it then?

Then stickin with Beast. Mad Gorilla strength beats Walker Strength.

zopzop
Originally posted by Flyattractor
So the Zombs are WAY stronger in the game then they are in the comic or tv show I take it then?

Then stickin with Beast. Mad Gorilla strength beats Walker Strength.
What happens when surrounded? Angel, Solo, and Blue Jay can just bounce out of there. Beast would be screwed. Gorilla strength only takes you so far.

MF DELPH
Beast can leap pretty high vertically. It really depends on the environment you find yourself in. Here in the SF Bay Area having Beast's powers would be a real advantage. There's lots of hills and trees and all of the major metropolitan areas (San Francisco side and Oakland/Berkeley side) are connected by suspension bridges which can be traversed by swinging and balance beam walking. There's also Alcatraz that could be easily cleared of any Walkers that might make it there (turned tourists and guards). If I were to secure a boat that year would go buy pretty quickly isolated on Alcatraz. Would just need to make supply runs occasionally.

zopzop
@ MF DELPH
Delph, my friend, I think you are seriously overestimating what you can scavenge in the Walking Dead universe 400 days after the initial outbreak.

Everything has already been picked clean. The only chance to scavenge anything would be by stealing it from the surviving groups of humans (and those MOFOs are ruthless and armed to the teeth).

MF DELPH
Nah. If Rick and Co can do it as regular humans in the rural south I certainly could as a superhuman in Oakland, CA. This place (SF Bay Area) is pretty population dense so there's going to be plenty of places (homes, apartments, stores, ports, office buildings with disaster preparedness supply lockers , etc.) that will have canned foods, water, first aid kits, and such. Hell, my office building alone would be a fortress since it has pressurized fire doors on each floor and stairwells that only open from the inside. All I have to do is smash out a second floor window and I have 10 stories of shelter with roof access and an adjacent building to leap to if necessary.

*edit

My building also has solar panels so I'd have electricity.

Silent Master
The outbreak spread pretty fast in the WD universe, there will be plenty of things to scavenge.

demon thief
I chose solo teleport top buildings and open space area to scout. Abandoned construction site for improvised weapons use hit and run tactics.
Take out individual zombie masquerade with their guts on my clothes when looking for food.
Set up dead drop for emergency teleportation sleep in fortified rooftop avoid the living with teleport.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Nah. If Rick and Co can do it as regular humans in the rural south I certainly could as a superhuman in Oakland, CA. This place (SF Bay Area) is pretty population dense so there's going to be plenty of places (homes, apartments, stores, ports, office buildings with disaster preparedness supply lockers , etc.) that will have canned foods, water, first aid kits, and such. Hell, my office building alone would be a fortress since it has pressurized fire doors on each floor and stairwells that only open from the inside. All I have to do is smash out a second floor window and I have 10 stories of shelter with roof access and an adjacent building to leap to if necessary.

*edit

My building also has solar panels so I'd have electricity.

Regular canned foods don't stay good (at least by the printed sell by dates) for more then a year. After the 400 or year and a half most everything is going bad by that point. If you aren't hunting or foraging plants you are probably in a world o hurt. CANNABALISIM TIME!

Silent Master
I just got back from the store and had no trouble finding several brands of canned goods with dates as far as Dec 2016.

Flyattractor
Yeah but this is stuff left out on the shelf in un air conditioned stores in the south......I wouldn't trust it.

Silent Master
There are plenty a states where the temps don't get too bad, plus people can hit up orchards for fresh food...they could even plant seeds and grow some food themselves.

zopzop
Originally posted by Silent Master
There are plenty a states where the temps don't get too bad, plus people can hit up orchards for fresh food...they could even plant seeds and grow some food themselves.
But plants take time to grow.

People underestimate the amount of food and water they eat/drink in a given day. Try going two or three days without food and you'll start to feel like crap (this is especially true if you are in a high stress environment like the aftermath of a zombpacalypse) and it will affect your performance (ie keeping your whits about you).

SamZED
I'd survive without the powers. Zombies in RL would be a lot more useless than they are in movies/tv shows.

zopzop
Originally posted by SamZED
I'd survive without the powers. Zombies in RL would be a lot more useless than they are in movies/tv shows.
Read the OP my friend. You are transported to the Walking Dead universe......

Now pick a power from the list and explain why you picked it!!!!!!!

StiltmanFTW
(comic/game/show world is the same just focuses on different characters)

Wouldn't go that far.

zopzop
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Wouldn't go that far.
I could have sworn I saw this stated online by the comic writer. Should have saved it as proof.

StiltmanFTW
I could have sworn I saw this stated online by the comic writer. Should have saved it as proof.

It's Robert Kirkman, there are no other TWD comic writers.

He wanted it to be that way, but there are still differences here and there, like strong hints in the TV show that scratches may cause infection - you don't see that suggested anywhere in the comics.

Other example - zombies actually running early in the show (Atlanta).

zopzop

He wanted it to be that way, but there are still differences here and there, like strong hints in the TV show that scratches may cause infection - you don't see that suggested anywhere in the comics.
Keyword : may stick out tongue

Keywords : early in the series stick out tongue

In all seriousness :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead_%28video_game%29

So for sure the game/comics are linked. I know the show is too but can't find the quote yet to prove that all 3 are linked.

Galan007

Other example - zombies actually running early in the show (Atlanta). Walkers also used bludgeoning tools early in the show(a zombie was bashing a door with a rock, iirc.)

Anyway, I'd pick Beast.

zopzop
Originally posted by Galan007
Walkers also used bludgeoning tools early in the show(a zombie was bashing a door with a rock, iirc.)

Any reason why?

StiltmanFTW
Andrea. Comic version =/= tv show version.

Hershel mutating into Dale somehow stick out tongue

Governor's tank operator knowing how to actually use the tank instead of just driving it through the fences.

Much less gore and no cursing in the show...

Anyway, didn't know about the game. Wasn't there supposed to be one about Merle/Daryl, too?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Galan007
Walkers also used bludgeoning tools early in the show(a zombie was bashing a door with a rock, iirc.)

Anyway, I'd pick Beast.

Yeah, I remember that scene.

Galan007
Any reason why? His physicality mainly.

zopzop
Andrea. Comic version =/= tv show version.
I'll try to find that quote from the writer.

What? The game is BETTER (more interesting) than either the comic or the show! It was the game that got me into the comic that got me into the show. When someone in the show or comic dies, I just yawn. When someone in the game dies, I almost break down :*( That's how good the acting and story are.

StiltmanFTW

I'll try to find that quote from the writer.

No need - I've seen it.

What? The game is BETTER (more interesting) than either the comic or the show! It was the game that got me into the comic that got me into the show. When someone in the show or comic dies, I just yawn. When someone in the game dies, I almost break down :*( That's how good the acting and story are.

Then you got introduced to TWD quite late. I was a fan long before the tv show madness stick out tongue

Glad to hear it's that good, maybe I'll pick it up one day thumb up

StiltmanFTW
Angel's powerset seems nice at the beginning, but without the healing factor blood, it'd be only a matter of time before some maniac shot me down.

zopzop
Glad to hear it's that good, maybe I'll pick it up one day thumb up
It's pricey, for what it is, but IMHO it's worth every penny.

Silent Master
But plants take time to grow.

People underestimate the amount of food and water they eat/drink in a given day. Try going two or three days without food and you'll start to feel like crap (this is especially true if you are in a high stress environment like the aftermath of a zombpacalypse) and it will affect your performance (ie keeping your whits about you).

That's where the stores, houses, orchards, farms etc come in.

zopzop
That's where the stores, houses, orchards, farms etc come in.
Those would be picked clean. And depending on where you land when you arrive in the WDU, it could be winter or fall and nothing is growing.

Silent Master
Those would be picked clean. And depending on where you land when you arrive in the WDU, it could be winter or fall and nothing is growing.

No they wouldn't, there weren't enough survivors in any major city to actually pick it clean.

zopzop
No they wouldn't, there weren't enough survivors in any major city to actually pick it clean.
A year+ and you can bet any survivors would have gone back and salvaged what they could.

And those survivors are armed and don't take kindly to strangers.

Silent Master
There are dozens of stores and thousands of homes/apts in just a 10 mile radius of me and I'm not even in a big city...there weren't enough survivors per city to even come close to emptying them out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.