Vegetarians are less healthy according to science.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0088278#abstract0

I'm curious about the various carnivorous diets, though! The one with meat, fruits, and vegetables...I bet they are the healthiest group. If someone can figure that out (because I am having a dumb moment...I don't see how to pull that out of that link), that'd be awesome.

I think you can still be a healthy vegetarian. But I think, for the average person, they just don't do it properly. You have to be careful when going on extreme diets. Do your damn research, I say.

Badabing
I was going to make fun of you for posting this thread in the wrong forum but will leave it alone. stick out tongue

Down with the vegans! Raptors are carnivores! Also, Digi is a Mac using vegan. biscuits

dadudemon
You should have made fun of me: I deserved it.

NemeBro
Man did not climb to the top of the food chain on Earth to solely sup upon its foilage.

Robtard
I'd suspect that the health issues with vegetarians and vegans is due to them not knowing how to eat proper/balanced due to not doing the research prior to dropping meat, dairy etc, instead of a meatless diet being inherently bad for you.

jaden101
In Scotland we go by this logic. Chocolate is made from plants so is therefor a vegetable.

Cows eat grass and so are therefor are made from vegetables and so are a vegetable.

Michael Schumacher is a vegetable.

Bardock42
Originally posted by jaden101

Michael Schumacher is a vegetable.

Too soon...

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Badabing
I was going to make fun of you for posting this thread in the wrong forum but will leave it alone. stick out tongue

Down with the vegans! Raptors are carnivores! Also, Digi is a Mac using vegan. biscuits

Not sure which is more shocking; Digi being a vegan or using a Mac.

Originally posted by Robtard
I'd suspect that the health issues with vegetarians and vegans is due to them not knowing how to eat proper/balanced due to not doing the research prior to dropping meat, dairy etc, instead of a meatless diet being inherently bad for you.

This is most likely true.

BackFire
So if I'm reading this correctly, hot dogs are healthy? Yes? Cool.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
So if I'm reading this correctly, hot dogs are healthy? Yes? Cool.

Only if ingested South Park stye.

Stealth Moose
Only if ingested South Park stye.

Backfire does everything South Park style.

Digi
There are some things that stand out to me.

Let's look at some of the results:
Concerning BMI: vegetarians have the lowest mean BMI (M = 22.9), followed by subjects eating a carnivorous diet less rich in meat (M = 23.4), rich in fruits and vegetables (M = 23.5), and rich in meat (M = 24.9). Heavy meat eaters differ significantly from all other groups in terms of their BMI (p = .000).

Concerning physical exercise: no significant difference was found in the total MET score between the various dietary habit groups (p = .631).

Concerning smoking behavior: the number of cigarettes smoked per day did not differ between the various dietary habit groups (p = .302).

Concerning alcohol consumption: Subjects following a vegetarian diet (M = 2.6 days in the last 28 days) or a carnivorous diet rich in fruits and vegetables (M = 3.0 days) consume alcohol significantly less frequently than those eating a carnivorous diet less rich in meat (M = 4.4 days) or rich in meat (M = 4.8 days; p = .000).

Ok, so 2/4 are no difference. But in alcohol and BMI, vegetarians are slightly better (low BMI is generally better, no? Except when dangerously skinny, of course). As a side note, BMI is largely panned in the medical community as a legitimate way to indicate health. That this study measures it at all is a bit suspect.

But then comes the assertion that vegetarians are less healthy overall. Ok, cool. But there are other possible factors:
Vegetarians and subjects eating a carnivorous diet rich in fruits and vegetables consult doctors more often than those eating a carnivorous diet less rich in meat (p = .003). Moreover, vegetarians are vaccinated less often than all other dietary habit groups (p = .005) and make use of preventive check-ups less frequently than subjects eating a carnivorous diet rich in fruits and vegetables (p = .033; Table 2).

This, to me, is huge. Because it adds to the equation with several variables that can make a big difference.

And while their "strengths" and "limitations" summary is very thorough and very fair, the limitations stood out a bit more to me because of a couple very strong statements:
Unfortunately, food intake was not measured in more detail, e.g. caloric intake was not covered. Hence, further studies will be necessary to analyze health and its relationship with different forms of dietary habits in more detail.

and...
We cannot state whether a causal relationship exists, but describe ascertained associations.

In fact, I couldn't find anything concrete suggesting a casual link between vegetarianism and poor health. What I did see a lot of was a link between vegetarianism and poor health habits unrelated to diet alone.

Robtard made an excellent point that not all will know how to do vegetarianism in a healthy way. I've known quite a few who think they're saving the planet, but have no idea how to diet, and end up stuffed full of junk food and cheese after a few months. But I'd go one step further and say that there may be a relationship between the type of people who become vegetarians and a lack of proper all-inclusive health coverage (i.e. doctors, vaccinations, etc.). I doubt being vegetarian, in and of itself, is detrimental based on these findings. However, I do believe that being an Earth-goddess hippie, taking herbal supplements and healing one's chakras, instead of going to a licensed physician, is detrimental, vegetarian or not.

And as a side note, on a few occasions I would have been happier had they used median numbers instead of means. Their sample size was large enough to allay some of my concerns, but not entirely. Basically, I think the study was very fair, but dudemon's title is not (sorry, but thanks for posting), because it falls victim to the same sensationalistic tendencies that many media outlets do. Why not "Study tracks eating behavior and various health parameters"? Because on a news site this title will get more clicks, and on a forum it will elicit stronger reaction. Probably not dudemon's intention, but certainly its effect.

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Not sure which is more shocking; Digi being a vegan or using a Mac.

I'm neither. Bada forgets that the mudslinging of the of the comic forums might actually be believed in these parts.

jaden101
Originally posted by Bardock42
Too soon...

Well I can't really do it after he's dead because then he'll be worm food and everyone knows worms don't eat vegetables.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Digi
There are some things that stand out to me.

Let's look at some of the results:
Concerning BMI: vegetarians have the lowest mean BMI (M = 22.9), followed by subjects eating a carnivorous diet less rich in meat (M = 23.4), rich in fruits and vegetables (M = 23.5), and rich in meat (M = 24.9). Heavy meat eaters differ significantly from all other groups in terms of their BMI (p = .000).

Concerning physical exercise: no significant difference was found in the total MET score between the various dietary habit groups (p = .631).

Concerning smoking behavior: the number of cigarettes smoked per day did not differ between the various dietary habit groups (p = .302).

Concerning alcohol consumption: Subjects following a vegetarian diet (M = 2.6 days in the last 28 days) or a carnivorous diet rich in fruits and vegetables (M = 3.0 days) consume alcohol significantly less frequently than those eating a carnivorous diet less rich in meat (M = 4.4 days) or rich in meat (M = 4.8 days; p = .000).

Ok, so 2/4 are no difference. But in alcohol and BMI, vegetarians are slightly better (low BMI is generally better, no? Except when dangerously skinny, of course). As a side note, BMI is largely panned in the medical community as a legitimate way to indicate health. That this study measures it at all is a bit suspect.

But then comes the assertion that vegetarians are less healthy overall. Ok, cool. But there are other possible factors:
Vegetarians and subjects eating a carnivorous diet rich in fruits and vegetables consult doctors more often than those eating a carnivorous diet less rich in meat (p = .003). Moreover, vegetarians are vaccinated less often than all other dietary habit groups (p = .005) and make use of preventive check-ups less frequently than subjects eating a carnivorous diet rich in fruits and vegetables (p = .033; Table 2).

This, to me, is huge. Because it adds to the equation with several variables that can make a big difference.

And while their "strengths" and "limitations" summary is very thorough and very fair, the limitations stood out a bit more to me because of a couple very strong statements:
Unfortunately, food intake was not measured in more detail, e.g. caloric intake was not covered. Hence, further studies will be necessary to analyze health and its relationship with different forms of dietary habits in more detail.

and...
We cannot state whether a causal relationship exists, but describe ascertained associations.

In fact, I couldn't find anything concrete suggesting a casual link between vegetarianism and poor health. What I did see a lot of was a link between vegetarianism and poor health habits unrelated to diet alone.

Robtard made an excellent point that not all will know how to do vegetarianism in a healthy way. I've known quite a few who think they're saving the planet, but have no idea how to diet, and end up stuffed full of junk food and cheese after a few months. But I'd go one step further and say that there may be a relationship between the type of people who become vegetarians and a lack of proper all-inclusive health coverage (i.e. doctors, vaccinations, etc.). I doubt being vegetarian, in and of itself, is detrimental based on these findings. However, I do believe that being an Earth-goddess hippie, taking herbal supplements and healing one's chakras, instead of going to a licensed physician, is detrimental, vegetarian or not.

I'm neither. Bada forgets that the mudslinging of the of the comic forums might actually be believed in these parts.

I remember that you're not a vegetarian but a pussitarian. Or is it pescetarian? I know it has something to do with eating fish. 313

Thanks for the lengthy and in depth reply. I believe vegetarians, in general, have this idea that they eat healthy so they don't need vaccinations and doctors as often as others. Think people like Steve Jobs. That study looks like it is picking up on that and it is more common among the "vegetarian" population (at least their sample...which they believe to be somewhat representative of the population).

But, I also know of another kind of vegetarian: the ultra-vegetarian. They are the ones that are borderline hypochondriacs (they go to the doctor at the drop of a hat) and watch what they eat like mad men. There are several professional natural bodybuilders like this. They are probably much healthier than any measured.

I think studies like these fail to compare apples to apples. What they should do is measure how someone who rates themselves as "high conscientiousness" in their dieting habits and health habits compares to others in specific diets.

Vegetarians to Carnivores. Vegans to Vegetarians, and so forth.

Obviously, those with poor eating habits (self rated) would be less healthy.

I say this because I wonder if excellent carnivores (people who do well to maintain a healthy lifestyle and diet) really ARE less healthy than their mindful vegetarian counterparts.

Bardock42
Personally I'm more interested about the Mac side of this story...

Digi
Originally posted by dadudemon
I remember that you're not a vegetarian but a pussitarian. Or is it pescetarian? I know it has something to do with eating fish. 313

Thanks for the lengthy and in depth reply. I believe vegetarians, in general, have this idea that they eat healthy so they don't need vaccinations and doctors as often as others. Think people like Steve Jobs. That study looks like it is picking up on that and it is more common among the "vegetarian" population (at least their sample...which they believe to be somewhat representative of the population).

But, I also know of another kind of vegetarian: the ultra-vegetarian. They are the ones that are borderline hypochondriacs (they go to the doctor at the drop of a hat) and watch what they eat like mad men. There are several professional natural bodybuilders like this. They are probably much healthier than any measured.

I think studies like these fail to compare apples to apples. What they should do is measure how someone who rates themselves as "high conscientiousness" in their dieting habits and health habits compares to others in specific diets.

Vegetarians to Carnivores. Vegans to Vegetarians, and so forth.

Obviously, those with poor eating habits (self rated) would be less healthy.

I say this because I wonder if excellent carnivores (people who do well to maintain a healthy lifestyle and diet) really ARE less healthy than their mindful vegetarian counterparts.

I agree that there are some ways they could hone in on their intended results a bit more. Your dieting habit spectrum is one possible route.

Labeling myself has become an exercise in futility. If presented with no other options, I'll eat whatever. So I'm a meat-eater probably 3-4 times a year. And yeah, I eat fish, but it's not a terribly regular thing. Mostly I just try to be healthy, which DOES involve being conscious about my diet. And it's nice to think that it may help the environment or be more humanitarian, but that isn't the primary impetus.

The best is messing with people though...
Person: "Why do you eat fish and not other meat?"
Me: "Because fish don't have souls."
P: ?!?!
M: Yeah, the Catholic Church says so, so it's ok to eat them. That's what Lent's all about, you know.
...you'd be shocked how many people think I'm being serious. I've become great at removing the sarcasm from my voice when I say it.

Or last week when my gf and I cooked a sweet potato and kale frittata for dinner. Her mom's text reaction: "That's...interesting! But why did you choose that and not something else, like meatloaf?"

...the joys of living in the Midwest.

Shakyamunison
Personally I'm more interested about the Mac side of this story...

As in Big Mac?

dadudemon
I agree that there are some ways they could hone in on their intended results a bit more. Your dieting habit spectrum is one possible route.

Labeling myself has become an exercise in futility. If presented with no other options, I'll eat whatever. So I'm a meat-eater probably 3-4 times a year. And yeah, I eat fish, but it's not a terribly regular thing. Mostly I just try to be healthy, which DOES involve being conscious about my diet. And it's nice to think that it may help the environment or be more humanitarian, but that isn't the primary impetus.

The best is messing with people though...
Person: "Why do you eat fish and not other meat?"
Me: "Because fish don't have souls."
P: ?!?!
M: Yeah, the Catholic Church says so, so it's ok to eat them. That's what Lent's all about, you know.
...you'd be shocked how many people think I'm being serious. I've become great at removing the sarcasm from my voice when I say it.

Or last week when my gf and I cooked a sweet potato and kale frittata for dinner. Her mom's text reaction: "That's...interesting! But why did you choose that and not something else, like meatloaf?"

...the joys of living in the Midwest.

Your mom sounds like me because that exactly what I would have said. no expression Also, it sounds delicious. no expression

I also use my Mormon religion to freak people out. "We do animal blood sacrifices in our temples. You didn't know that? It's protected speech under the first amendment." When I have them believing it, I then say, "Nah, just kidding. And we don't baptize babies, either." Mormons 1, Catholics 0. 131

Digi
Your mom sounds like me because that exactly what I would have said. no expression Also, it sounds delicious. no expression

Gf's mom, not mine. Mine long ago stopped questioning all the ways in which I confuse or disappoint her.

But it WAS delicious. Melted goat cheese on top and everything. As I mentioned, there are plenty of tards who remove meat from their diet and either carb-load themselves into oblivion, or end up with nothing but junk food and cheese. Actually embracing it has opened my palette in ways I never would have imagined. And it's also not hard at all.

Vegans, on the other hand...no idea how they do it. Or why they'd want to. Half of the organically-labeled things out there are nothing but unregulated marketing ploys anyway. Being true to veganism must be exhausting.

Badabing
Originally posted by jaden101
In Scotland we go by this logic. Chocolate is made from plants so is therefor a vegetable.

Cows eat grass and so are therefor are made from vegetables and so are a vegetable.

Michael Schumacher is a vegetable. thumb upOriginally posted by Digi
313 innocent

Robtard
Being true to veganism must be exhausting.

I only know of one person who does it right. He's retired, fairly wealthly and an ex cook though. So he can spend the time making all his meals from truly organic raw products.

Digi
I only know of one person who does it right. He's retired, fairly wealthly and an ex cook though. So he can spend the time making all his meals from truly organic raw products.

Yeah, I could see that. But like, I'm in the Midwest and know a vegan. Not wealthy, etc. She must have to do backflips to maintain her diet. She also tries to do no processed sugar, or some similarly difficult thing. Good for her, but christ!

Veganism is a lifestyle. Vegetarianism is just picking up different products at the grocery store, and having 3-4 selections on mainstream restaurant menus instead of 20-25.

Shakyamunison
Vegetarians are nothing compared to raw-foodists. A friend of mine's daughter is a raw-foodist, but she knows what she is doing. She made a raw-foodist dinner for me, and it was great.

Digi
Oh, I forgot the most important aspect of being either one...being asked - by everyone - where you get your protein from. I just say "tons of peanut butter" anymore. I have given up giving any sh*ts.

Seriously, they make business cards if you want to be smug:
http://www.zazzle.com/im_vegan_protein_business_card-240115278111548107

Robtard
Oh, I forgot the most important aspect of being either one...being asked - by everyone - where you get your protein from. I just say "tons of peanut butter" anymore. I have given up giving any sh*ts.

Seriously, they make business cards if you want to be smug:
http://www.zazzle.com/im_vegan_protein_business_card-240115278111548107

You should just say "semen" from now on.

Stealth Moose
Protein in watermelon? 1.7 g counts? I get more from huffing an empty Pringles can.

Digi
You should just say "semen" from now on.

That's actually not a significant source of protein. Don't ask how I know.

Protein in watermelon? 1.7 g counts? I get more from huffing an empty Pringles can.

I didn't say it was a good list. It's just funny that it exists.

In any case, it's for vegans. It's even easier for vegetarians (add in cheese and various faux-meat products that cater to the diet), and even easier for pescatarians like myself. Anyone who's befuddled by the prospect of meat-less protein just doesn't have an imagination.

Still, "TONS of peanut butter" is clearly the best answer, followed by no admission of a joke or clarification. The looks of shock and worry are priceless. The number of Midwesterners who have never met a vegetarian is high enough that it's often carte blanche to make sh*t up. Not unlike my atheism. "Peanut butter-gargling Satan worshipper" would look good as an epitaph, no?

dadudemon
I get my protein sources from the following sources since Monday of last week:

All natural peanut butter.
Reduced sodium tuna in a ****ing pouch.
Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex.
Sargento cheese sticks (Pepperjack and Colby Jack).
Salmon in a ****ing pouch.
Beef steaks. I don't know which cut I get...ribeye?
Bacon. Not much of it.
Eggs. So many ****ing eggs.
Eggbeaters.
Beef jerky (it has 1 gram of carb per serving).
On occasion (once, so far), grilled tilapia.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Vegetarians are nothing compared to raw-foodists. A friend of mine's daughter is a raw-foodist, but she knows what she is doing. She made a raw-foodist dinner for me, and it was great.

After the raw food did you make the sex? That's how I thank my cooks.

Shakyamunison
...After the raw food did you make the sex? That's how I thank my cooks.

No. My wife would have a problem with that.

jaden101

After the raw food did you make the sex? That's how I thank my cocks.

Corrected.

dadudemon
No. My wife would have a problem with that.

Oh. laughing laughing laughing

I thought you were talking about a date from many moons ago.

Lord Lucien
Too soon... Yeah, he's not ripe yet.

Stealth Moose
That's actually not a significant source of protein. Don't ask how I know.

I didn't say it was a good list. It's just funny that it exists.

In any case, it's for vegans. It's even easier for vegetarians (add in cheese and various faux-meat products that cater to the diet), and even easier for pescatarians like myself. Anyone who's befuddled by the prospect of meat-less protein just doesn't have an imagination.

Still, "TONS of peanut butter" is clearly the best answer, followed by no admission of a joke or clarification. The looks of shock and worry are priceless. The number of Midwesterners who have never met a vegetarian is high enough that it's often carte blanche to make sh*t up. Not unlike my atheism. "Peanut butter-gargling Satan worshipper" would look good as an epitaph, no?

1. Let me guess - Cracked?

2. Also yeah, in the Midwest I didn't know any vegetarians. Or vegans. A rite of passage was to corner a small mammal and eat it raw in most parts.

Digi

Good guess, but no. I made a semen-protein joke to a girl back in college and she corrected me. She was already vegetarian and I was just becoming one. I lost my virginity to her that night. Nice girl...whatever her name was.

Badabing

2. Also yeah, in the Midwest I didn't know any vegetarians. Or vegans. A rite of passage was to corner a small mammal and eat it raw in most parts. That's a good policy. Are there raptors in the Midwest?

wilco
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0088278#abstract0

I'm curious about the various carnivorous diets, though! The one with meat, fruits, and vegetables...I bet they are the healthiest group. If someone can figure that out (because I am having a dumb moment...I don't see how to pull that out of that link), that'd be awesome.

I think you can still be a healthy vegetarian. But I think, for the average person, they just don't do it properly. You have to be careful when going on extreme diets. Do your damn research, I say.

My neighbor is a vegan (no milk and sh*t) and she's pretty healthy and her child is 6 months and he's a ankle biter laughing

She was a High School teacher until she was up the tuff rolling on floor laughing Her lover (boyfriend) is Mexican he's a vegan also.........He's hard core (tough) but, women can reason better then guys laughing out loud

Stealth Moose
Good guess, but no. I made a semen-protein joke to a girl back in college and she corrected me. She was already vegetarian and I was just becoming one. I lost my virginity to her that night. Nice girl...whatever her name was.

Sounds legit.

Originally posted by Badabing
That's a good policy. Are there raptors in the Midwest?

There could be, if it weren't so cold in the wintertime.

Originally posted by wilco
My neighbor is a vegan (no milk and sh*t) and she's pretty healthy and her child is 6 months and he's a ankle biter laughing

She was a High School teacher until she was up the tuff rolling on floor laughing Her lover (boyfriend) is Mexican he's a vegan also.........He's hard core (tough) but, women can reason better then guys laughing out loud

They have Mexicans in Australia? That's some epic swimming right there.

Shakyamunison
Oh. laughing laughing laughing

I thought you were talking about a date from many moons ago.

My wife was at the dinner too. wink If I ever won the lottery, I would open a restaurant in a hippy town with that young girl (the raw foodist "cook"wink as the chef.

Digi
Sounds legit.

http://i.imgur.com/Rh0B3lZ.jpg

Stealth Moose
DECEPTION ON THE INTERWEBZ? NOES!

Oneness
In today's world it's hard to know just what a "balanced" diet is.

Reading up on history, and gaining a basic understanding of how early man lived and what foods they could get - the answer is to remove new developments and look into modern agriculture and what foods come from where, and remove the modern. Foods that aren't manipulated before being put on the shelf, foods that grow naturally or are found in nature are all one needs. Foods that our early ancestors could hunt down, mix, chop up, cook, and eat.

I always eat farm-fed based meats for that reason. I don't like it that animals are kept in cages and injected with downers all their lives, and it is quite unhealthy to consume meats that have those hormones, or that have been mixed with all kinds of junk in factories. I normally stick with ground, farm fed turkey.

Stealth Moose
Let's ignore that some modern developments have allowed a smaller amount of farm land/farmers to sustain a greater population than has ever existed before. While I don't like animal savagery in factories and approve of say, Amish corn-fed chicken over Tyson 'Tastes like Suffering', removing the modern is in itself a potential slippery slope. Not all that is modern is bad, simply because it is not 'old/natural'.

Wonder Man
Salad is really an appitizer.

Oneness
Let's ignore that some modern developments have allowed a smaller amount of farm land/farmers to sustain a greater population than has ever existed before. While I don't like animal savagery in factories and approve of say, Amish corn-fed chicken over Tyson 'Tastes like Suffering', removing the modern is in itself a potential slippery slope. Not all that is modern is bad, simply because it is not 'old/natural'. Yes, but I'm speaking of simplicity here. Figuring out a diet can be taxing if you take into account too many variables.

My reasoning? If it's how we naturally ate, can't go wrong. And it's good that I'm one of the few who purchase nature foods exclusively, there's not enough to go around.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Oneness
Yes, but I'm speaking of simplicity here. Figuring out a diet can be taxing if you take into account too many variables.

My reasoning? If it's how we naturally ate, can't go wrong. And it's good that I'm one of the few who purchase nature foods exclusively, there's not enough to go around.

We're naturally weak against AIDS, polio, shark bites, and radiation.

Natural != good. Rather, natural can be good, but is not in itself a good thing. The term is often loosely applied to things that people think are innately good, and incorrectly at that.

In any case, there's not enough granola to keep the world afloat.

Shakyamunison
Yes, but I'm speaking of simplicity here. Figuring out a diet can be taxing if you take into account too many variables.

"Natural foods" is a marketing scheme. People of the past ate worse food then we do today, and died younger.

Oneness
They died younger because of life-style I'd think.

Cro-magnum fossils are filled with mid-life fractures all over their body.

They certainly didn't suffer from obesity, though.

Stealth Moose
They died younger because of life-style I'd think.

Cro-magnum fossils are filled with mid-life fractures all over their body.

They certainly didn't suffer from obesity, though.

They died younger because of all sorts of ailments, including food poisoning. Food preservation and preparing has come a long way, even in the last 100 years. Their lives were also more violent, but there's no denying that newer methods of preparing food and growing it has improved life expectancy and sustained population growth well beyond what our ancestors could maintain.

As for obesity, this is largely an affect of lifestyle changes. People used to have to walk everywhere and were in motion most of the day. Now, people drive/cart everywhere and are stationary. Huge change in calorie usage, coupled with more available food sources.

Oneness
You have to understand though, most of the time they didn't have food available.

So natural foods are packed with nutrients, take longer to digest, and provide a more sustained energy. This is good if you want to look good.

Shakyamunison
You have to understand though, most of the time they didn't have food available.

So natural foods are packed with nutrients, take longer to digest, and provide a more sustained energy. This is good if you want to look good.
Natural foods like wheat, rice and corn?

Stealth Moose

And you have to understand that modern techniques make food more readily available, whereas the 'natural' method you describe would actually cause more deaths than it would prevent.

Yes, because preservatives are placed in the vacant holes where nutrients once were.

Also, 'natural foods' is a blanket term, you know.

Which might be murder on being regular.

So, higher calorie content?

While it's true that proper diet can influence obvious things like health, skin condition, and personal symetry, I'm not sure 'natural foods' is the answer to all conditions. A lot of the development of current foods, while arguably less pure, is a direct response to the needs of the many.

dadudemon
I tried an "only natural foods" diet, once. I shit all the time. ALL the time. I cooked the food that needed to be cooked but stipulation was "only eat food that is unprocessed." So cuts of meat were okay but not deli meat.

Raw fruits and vegetables were okay.

Anyway, it was a decent diet but it makes you shit. I think it makes you shit too much.

Stealth Moose
I tried an "only natural foods" diet, once. I shit all the time. ALL the time. I cooked the food that needed to be cooked but stipulation was "only eat food that is unprocessed." So cuts of meat were okay but not deli meat.

Raw fruits and vegetables were okay.

Anyway, it was a decent diet but it makes you shit. I think it makes you shit too much.

That's actually a good point. Once I tried a diet like that too because a friend from out west suggest it. Got a lot of reading done on the pot.

Omega Vision
I've been trying to cut back on meat, not for ethical or even necessarily health-related reasons, but because it's so much cheaper with the prices of beef and chicken.

I eat fish 1-2 times a week (not the kind with omega-3, but I take fish capsules so...), eat yogurt once a day, drink a glass of milk at least every other night, and try to eat a heaping portion of some kind of legume or pulse (mostly lentils) every day, along with half a cup worth of onions/scallions/garlic per day to encourage the growth of beneficial intestinal bacteria.

If nothing else, my skin is doing better now that I've cut back on meat.

I wish almonds were cheaper, if they were I'd eat a cup's worth every day.

Stealth Moose
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/c722188a878cb27be4d79a4c1849296f0a.png

Digi
I dunno. I used to have a great uncle that thought people were unhealthy who weren't taking the kids to the pool at least 4 times a day. I think there are a variety of acceptable regulatory patterns with bowel movements.

Omega Vision
As long as it's solid and not filled with old blood, pretty sure regular bowel movements is a sign of great health.

Shakyamunison
If food goes through you too fast, you will not get enough nutrients. But if it goes too slow, then that... well, all know what happens then.

dadudemon
If food goes through you too fast, you will not get enough nutrients. But if it goes too slow, then that... well, all know what happens then.

Constipation. The word you're looking for is constipation. Or, in medical terms, "inflammation of the vastus poopiallus" and some doctors have even termed this "acute turditis."

Shakyamunison
Constipation. The word you're looking for is constipation. Or, in medical terms, "inflammation of the vastus poopiallus" and some doctors have even termed this "acute turditis."

Your full of sh*t, is what I was alluding to.

Lexington
This thread sure took a dump/dive

wilco

They have Mexicans in Australia? That's some epic swimming right there.

I forgot your sense of humour laughing confused stick out tongue

Still locked in your hyperbaric chamber? laughing rolling on floor laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.