KotOR is NOT a weak era

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Many people have the belief the KotOR era is weak (mainly due to how easily Meetra got beat by a TOR Sith), however this is not the case. All pics taken from Knights of the Old Republic campaign guide.

The Jedi Order of Knights of the Old Republic had large numbers of expert swordsman and force-related powers. More members are also more active and in the battlefield then the likes of the Prequel Trilogy and other eras.
http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/17/73/92/12/jedi10.png
Lightsaber and melee dueling is a frequent practice throughout the galaxy.
http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/17/73/92/12/duelis11.png
Darth Revan's Sith Empire is stated to be an equal to the size and power of Palpatine's own Sith Empire.
http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/17/73/92/12/empire10.png
In a short amount of time, Darth Revan's Sith Empire was able to control 1/3 of the known galaxy, a very impressive feat. Alongside him were thousands of Dark Jedi.
http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/17/73/92/12/revan_11.png
All factions of the galaxy have been in constant warfare, making many very experienced fighters.
http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/17/73/92/12/warfar10.png

ares834
Who says it's weak?

BTW, the campaign guide also says that during this time "these are the days of the Jedi in their prime" and "the Jedi Order is at the summit of its power and self-confidence."

Suck it TOR. http://thelifestream.net/forums/images/smilies/cookiemonster.gif

Nephthys
Retconned. TOR is the best era. Suck it PT.

DarthAnt66
So, TOR>KotOR>PT?

ares834
Originally posted by Nephthys
Retconned. TOR is the best era. Suck it PT.

Got a source officially retconning it? Because I've seen nothing saying the TOR Order is the best.

smile

DarthAnt66
Also, what section of the book says those quotes? They can be very helpful for me in future debates. Thanks for telling me though. smile

Q99
Originally posted by ares834
Who says it's weak?

BTW, the campaign guide also says that during this time "these are the days of the Jedi in their prime" and "the Jedi Order is at the summit of its power and self-confidence."

It is hard to be self-confident when half the galaxy is owned by Sith!

ares834
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Also, what section of the book says those quotes? They can be very helpful for me in future debates. Thanks for telling me though. smile

They are on the black pages. Pages 103 and 129.

DarthAnt66
You're my new bff.
http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/17/73/92/12/yay10.png
http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/17/73/92/12/yay210.png

Nephthys
You're my new bff.
http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/17/73/92/12/yay10.png

It just says that its the time of the Jedi in their prime moreso than the Clone Wars. Which, hah! Suck it PT!

http://i55.servimg.com/u/f55/17/73/92/12/yay210.png
Thats actually referring to the Jedi as of Exar Kun. wink

Plus as eyerolling as it may seem, I think that may refer to their political power. The rest of the paragraph is solely focused on the organisation and function of the Order, not their martial power. The Kotor period was the time when the Jedi were the de facto Republic military and the Republic was heavily reliant on them to the point of degradation in the martial power of the actual army (SWTORE).

DarthAnt66
The first one is referring to the Jedi as of Revan, the second is referring to the Jedi as of Exar Kun. However, I don't see much of a difference however. Also, PT>TOR. Suck it TOR.

Based
There's another Legend out there.

DarthAnt66
What? Are you referring to S_W_LeGenD?

Q99
I'd say they simply had multiple primes.

The schism with Revan's forces causing so many Jedi to defect really did a number on them.

Nephthys
Theres no way the Kotor era is the best after that imo.

The first one is referring to the Jedi as of Revan, the second is referring to the Jedi as of Exar Kun. However, I don't see much of a difference however. Also, PT>TOR. Suck it TOR.

I edited my post to be more in depth.

DarthAnt66
Yet the sentence that follows is solely about the Jedi in battle with mandos and Sith.

Nephthys
No it isn't. Thats the first quote, which is merely a comparison to the PT era.

DarthAnt66
Which is what I was referring to.
Also, PT been stated to be the prime of the Jedi, so don't say "merely."

Nephthys
Well I was referring to the second quote when I suggested it was talking about political authority. So your point doesn't affect mine.

Meh.

ares834
It just says that its the time of the Jedi in their prime moreso than the Clone Wars. Which, hah! Suck it PT!

Sure. KotOR>PT>Everything else.

Plus as eyerolling as it may seem, I think that may refer to their political power. The rest of the paragraph is solely focused on the organisation and function of the Order, not their martial power. The Kotor period was the time when the Jedi were the de facto Republic military and the Republic was heavily reliant on them to the point of degradation in the martial power of the actual army (SWTORE).

It is eye rolling because the the guide mentions several times how during this era the Jedi aren't diplomats and that the Order is decentralized. Heck, the main Jedi Temple isn't even on Coruscant at this time. Beyond that the obvious time the Jedi were at the height of their political power would be during the New Sith Wars when there were Jedi Supreme Chancellors and they were pretty much running the whole show.

Q99
Btw, I personally feel 'prime of the Jedi' has a lot to do with raw numbers, rather than most individually powerful.

'Cause, NJO is both small and hella powerful, and not called a 'prime.'

Nephthys
Sure. KotOR>PT>Everything else.

Except that objectively the TOR era would steamroll both eras. wink

It is eye rolling because the the guide mentions several times how during this era the Jedi aren't diplomats and that the Order is decentralized. Heck, the main Jedi Temple isn't even on Coruscant at this time. Beyond that the obvious time the Jedi were at the height of their political power would be during the New Sith Wars when there were Jedi Supreme Chancellors and they were pretty much running the whole show.

I don't see how them not being diplomats changes anything and they weren't even centralised? Lol, then I seriously doubt they were the Jedi's prime military form then.

As of the New Sith Wars they were also taking heavy losses in a massively dragged out war though. I wasn't talking about politics politics, I was talking about their power as the primary military force of the Republic.

The TOR era was a) many, many times the size of the Order in the Kotor period, b) on par with Vitiates Empire which was vastly improved over the Golden Age of the Sith and c) had access to the knowledge of the Kotor period and that of the Force Wars.

The Kotor period is specifically said to see the Jedi in a terrible position of strength. Theres barely a hundred left after the war, Bastila is the only thing holding the Sith offensive back, half of their number was corrupted, theres huge division, disillusion and uncertainty in the Order. Literally their last chance was Revan and Bastila. How exactly are they the prime of the Jedi compared to a fresh, full-strength and utterly united order of millions who are experiencing a Jedi Renaissance?

ares834
Except that objectively the TOR era would steamroll both eras. wink

Nah.

Unless you have statements calling the TOR period the "golden age of the Jedi" or some variant.

I don't see how them not being diplomats changes anything and they weren't even centralised? Lol, then I seriously doubt they were the Jedi's prime military form then.

That's what the evidence says.

As of the New Sith Wars they were also taking heavy losses in a massively dragged out war though. I wasn't talking about politics politics, I was talking about their power as the primary military force of the Republic.

I'm not sure how being the "primary military force of the Republic" means the Jedi are at their "height of their power" pg 104. I mean, as you point out, the military at this time is weak so it's not like each Jedi is commanding entire armies.

The Kotor period is specifically said to see the Jedi in a terrible position of strength. Theres barely a hundred left after the war, Bastila is the only thing holding the Sith offensive back, half of their number was corrupted, theres huge division, disillusion and uncertainty in the Order. Literally their last chance was Revan and Bastila. How exactly are they the prime of the Jedi compared to a fresh, full-strength and utterly united order of millions who are experiencing a Jedi Renaissance?

Well, yeah... I'm talking prior to that.

Nephthys
Nah.

Unless you have statements calling the TOR period the "golden age of the Jedi" or some variant.

I don't need it, they'd beat them both put together. The numbers advantage is too great. And the TOR era is just as well trained, has just as good a connection to the Light Side, is just as militarily competent etc etc. Seriously, what advantages does the PT and Kotor periods have? The PT era has limited experience against Force users and mostly fights with Niman and Soresu because of it. And the Kotor period had huge internal problems.

That's what the evidence says.

Its what a statement says. The evidence suggests otherwise. And since the TOR period didn't exist before that statement was made, I'm not taking it at face value.

I'm not sure how being the "primary military force of the Republic" means the Jedi are at their "height of their power" pg 104. I mean, as you point out, the military at this time is weak so it's not like each Jedi is commanding entire armies.

Its the height of their power as a peacekeeping force. The Jedi Order exists to protect the Republic. As the primary force protecting it, that could be seen as them at the summit of their power in that regard.

Well, yeah... I'm talking prior to that.

When? What do you term as the 'Kotor period?'

Any time after or during the Mando Wars? I don't think so since half the order defected and they had huge problems in terms of rogue Jedi and the other problems I listed. Even before then they had issues with Lucien Dray and co and Revan was still around and stirring shit up. It can't have been just after the Exar Kun war since the paragraphs you're referring to mention how badly damaged the Jedi Order was after that war. Before then? Is that still the same era?

ares834
I don't need it, they'd beat them both put together. The numbers advantage is too great. And the TOR era is just as well trained, has just as good a connection to the Light Side, is just as militarily competent etc etc. Seriously, what advantages does the PT and Kotor periods have? The PT era has limited experience against Force users and mostly fights with Niman and Soresu because of it. And the Kotor period had huge internal problems.

Well, according to certain canon statements, apparently not. Anyway, while the number of KotOR era Jedi is never given (nor are TOR's numbers) it is stated to be "many more" than during the PT.

Its what a statement says. The evidence suggests otherwise. And since the TOR period didn't exist before that statement was made, I'm not taking it at face value.

Still canon.

smile

Its the height of their power as a peacekeeping force. The Jedi Order exists to protect the Republic. As the primary force protecting it, that could be seen as them at the summit of their power in that regard.

erm

That's a pretty deliberate twisting of facts and really in no way constitutes "power".

When? What do you term as the 'Kotor period?'

Everything in the campaign guide. So from the Sith War up until the end of Dark Wars.

Nephthys
Well, according to certain canon statements, apparently not. Anyway, while the number of KotOR era Jedi is never given (nor are TOR's numbers) it is stated to be "many more" than during the PT.

Name a way the PT or Kotor eras Orders could beat the TOR one.

Given that they were down to a hundred Jedi by the end, I highly doubt there were millions of them at the time. And there were only thousands during the Great Sith War, a mere 40 years before Kotor.

TOR's number of Jedi can be inferred from the Sith numbers. If there was a significant difference in numbers it would have been mentioned at some point.

Still canon.

smile

http://i.imgur.com/XNFgdkb.gif

Boo hoo.

erm

That's a pretty deliberate twisting of facts and really in no way constitutes "power".

Well how about you read through that paragraph and give me your interpretation of what it means.

Everything in the campaign guide. So from the Sith War up until the end of Dark Wars.

Then my point stands, theres no way that period of time represents the Jedi at their peak.

ares834
Name a way the PT or Kotor eras Orders could beat the TOR one.

Better trained Jedi. More Jedi. Etc... Not saying it is necessarily all of those, but it could be.

Given that they were down to a hundred Jedi by the end, I highly doubt there were millions of them at the time. And there were only thousands during the Great Sith War, a mere 40 years before Kotor.

Where is this mentioned?

TOR's number of Jedi can be inferred from the Sith numbers. If there was a significant difference in numbers it would have been mentioned at some point.

Apparently not.

Well how about you read through that paragraph and give me your interpretation of what it means.

Exactly what it says, the Jedi Order as of the KotOR era is the most powerful. You pit the KotOR era Jedi Order against any other and they will win.

Then my point stands, theres no way that period of time represents the Jedi at their peak.

Well that's what the sources say.

*shrug*

juyomaster34
KOTOR is not weak.
I would like to read more about this era....
It was a great era,Revan,Malak,Kreia, those were characters that made you want to read more about the Mandalorians Wars and what happened to Taris,Peragus,and Malacor V.

Was any thing of Malacor or Peragus left? like asteroids or something?

Nephthys
Better trained Jedi. More Jedi. Etc... Not saying it is necessarily all of those, but it could be.

Wow, so convincing. no expression

Not. There's no reason to think the Jedi of Kotor were better trained than they were in TOR and they weren't more numerous. The Jedi in TOR were actual warriors and were better equipped than the ones in Kotor since they actually wore armor and made wide use of shield generators and other war-time tech that the Kotor Order didn't. Furthermore, there are way more examples of powerful Jedi in the TOR period than there were in the Kotor period. And those examples were more powerful than those in Kotor.

Where is this mentioned?

When the entire Order gathers above Yavin 4 to form the Wall of Light.

Apparently not.

I don't know why you're so resistant to this idea. It only makes sense that if the Sith numbers were so high then the Jedi numbers would be similar. Especially since WAY more Sith acolytes are killed during their training than the Jedi padawans and the Empire has WAY less of a population than the Republic and is stated multiple times to be outnumbered, with their droids making up the difference irrc.

Exactly what it says, the Jedi Order as of the KotOR era is the most powerful. You pit the KotOR era Jedi Order against any other and they will win.

Yeah, but they wouldn't. no expression You wanna make a thread and see how many people blindly follow your interpretation of that quote over the hard facts that make the TOR era superior?

And that isn't representative of the rest of the paragraph. I don't think thats what it means.

Well that's what the sources say.

*shrug*

http://i.4cdn.org/a/src/1396031770949.gif

That was written before the TOR era was explored and isn't representative of the current state of affairs.

ares834
When the entire Order gathers above Yavin 4 to form the Wall of Light.

So after a war that ripped the order in two... no expression Yeah... I thought you were implying prior to the Sith War not after.

I don't know why you're so resistant to this idea. It only makes sense that if the Sith numbers were so high then the Jedi numbers would be similar. Especially since WAY more Sith acolytes are killed during their training than the Jedi padawans and the Empire has WAY less of a population than the Republic and is stated multiple times to be outnumbered, with their droids making up the difference irrc.

This logic would then apply to almost all Jedi Orders. I mean, the PT Jedi Order controls more of the galaxy than the either the Republic or Sith Empire as of TOR so they should have larger numbers of Jedi then either of them. Thanks for reaffirming that PT>TOR.

Yeah, but they wouldn't. no expression You wanna make a thread and see how many people blindly follow your interpretation of that quote over the hard facts that make the TOR era superior?

"Hard facts"? laughing out loud

You mean speculation.

And that isn't representative of the rest of the paragraph. I don't think thats what it means.

It certainly doesn't go into military or political power...

Also the "Jedi in their prime" quote goes immediately into how the Jedi battle Mandalorians and Sith. Or how about this, on page 104 it mentions, "the Jedi go from the height of their power to a mere remnant of their existence." But of course, they are talking about political power amirite?

http://i.4cdn.org/a/src/1396031770949.gif

That was written before the TOR era was explored and isn't representative of the current state of affairs.

And, since nothing has directly contradicted it, it's still canon.

DarthAnt66
Actually, the new starwars.com featurette: The Birth of the Lightsaber says: "It wasn't until Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace that audiences would see Jedi battling in their prime; the duels were more aggressive and acrobatic than anything seen in the original trilogy, and only grew in scale and intensity as the series continued."

The Prequel Trilogy remains the dominant era.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.