Real life super powers.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Megatom
I'm new to this thread. I've read some threads about the concept of real super powers but I have not seen any which were very informative. I'm not sure if I should be posting this on a science forum because this is kind of pseudoscience, but I had an actual scientific concept for real super powers (I'm an amateur scientist right now as I have not completed college, but I have ideas). Could real super powers be achieved by altered cellular membranes? This means the rest of the body could remain safely the same. I have a specific concept for fire resistance power. Carbon nanofiber aerogels are made from the cellulose of certain types of bacteria. Let's make the assumption the bacteria could gain an extra layer on their cellular membrane or have a cellular membrane made of this material by mutation since it is molecularly similar to cellulose (I'm not sure if extremophiles exist with this mutation or not). If you could take an RNA virus and replace the replicating genes with the genes for making these carbon nanofibers then inject the virus into a human cell which is just developing in the womb, then hypothetically the resulting human could safely gain the mutation for resistance to fire as all his/her cells grow. One problem here is that could interfere with transfer of chemicals and liquids in and out of the cell but if that's a problem an additional gene could be given so the vacuoles would also be surrounded in this material. Now, it the same process could be done with a metamaterial then maybe someone could gain invisibility or powerful telekinesis. Scientists have made metamaterials which can be invisible or bend certain types of energy, so all someone would need here is that additional cellular membrane. Please give me a chance here.

Megatom
I probably should have said that I'm new to this website which is the case. I personally think that while super powers are unrealistic, that does not mean they are impossible and while there may not yet be more than minor super powers as of yet, that does not mean no powers can ever happen. I also think that people can be overly close minded when discussing the likelihood of them scientifically. Like, yeah of course getting hit by a bunch of gamma rays won't make you the Hulk, but maybe with very superior technology which accesses another dimension the powers really could happen. Scientific people know what is realistic and what is not, but they still give the possibility since they don't know everything about biology and technology. Just upsets me since some people will admit their lack of knowledge and turn right around and say something is possible or impossible.

Shakyamunison
I have you considered the ethical side of what you wrote?

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I have you considered the ethical side of what you wrote?

laughing laughing

Megatom
Hmmm. Could posting again help me get more views? Just experimenting as I'm a bit of a newcomer here.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Megatom
Hmmm. Could posting again help me get more views? Just experimenting as I'm a bit of a newcomer here.

The best way to increase the views on this thread is to give away money. wink

Mindship
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The best way to increase the views on this thread is to give away money... ... to the Mindship Transcendence Foundation.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
... to the Mindship Transcendence Foundation.

laughing out loud

Megatom
Well thank you, but does anyone think what I'm proposing is possibly valid? Even if it is possible, there are reasons for why it's not a common mutation:
1. Can only occur if the cells have the material for the mutation obviously.
2. Only of the cells can produce the material (may be a problem with an invisible material).
3. Only extreme conditions would require the mutation in nature.
4. Cannot interfere with transfer of nutrients and water in and out of the cell (again solvable or avoidable).
5. Must not interfere with the regular cellular membrane. Either the material must be hydrophobic or not directly attract hydrophobic molecules.
Don't see why this isn't impossible though. So maybe real super powers? I read that such could be developed in the next 30 years at least.

Shakyamunison
Well thank you, but does anyone think what I'm proposing is possibly valid? Even if it is possible, there are reasons for why it's not a common mutation:
1. Can only occur if the cells have the material for the mutation obviously.
2. Only of the cells can produce the material (may be a problem with an invisible material).
3. Only extreme conditions would require the mutation in nature.
4. Cannot interfere with transfer of nutrients and water in and out of the cell (again solvable or avoidable).
5. Must not interfere with the regular cellular membrane. Either the material must be hydrophobic or not directly attract hydrophobic molecules.
Don't see why this isn't impossible though. So maybe real super powers? I read that such could be developed in the next 30 years at least.

I honestly think that it is NOT possible. However, even if it was possible, it would be unethical.

Megatom
Wait but why would it not be possible?

Shakyamunison
Wait but why would it not be possible?

You would have to play the human DNA like a fine violin, and we are so far away from doing that. Right now we shove things into cells and hope for the best. To do what you are talking about, we would have to create new genes and make then work.

I think that creating a Star Trek teleporter is more realistic.

Megatom
I don't necessarily think a teleporter is more realistic. Actually this is one of my problems with Star Trek. The fact that they have a teleporter to me suggests that they should say be able to grow back Geordi's eyes, since we're working on regeneration technology now. I mean, what I'm saying is unlikely, like 1 in a billion but saying it's like playing a violin right is a little severe. Mutations like I'm describing can happen relatively often because it is a relatively simple mutation as long as the body can incorporate the material. This may have already happened to someone. "Superhands" is an Asian man who has hands which he can temporarily put into woks with 900 degree temperatures. Could he have the kind of mutation I'm describing? Silicones or fluorocarbons are 2 materials which are hydrophobic (non-polar), thus molecules of those types could indeed form a second layer on cells hypothetically allowing the powers I suggested. There are other materials which can direct or block specific types of energy which would be compatible with cells (though granted the chance of invisibility is still virtually nil).

Digi
I want to know the thought process that leads someone to post pseudo-scientific brainstorming on a movie off-topic forum, requesting feedback. Like, the very presence of this thread here is almost enough to invalidate it as a reasonable inquiry into scientific possibility.

And so I'm not accused of condescension, I would apply that same criticism to a LOT of what gets posted here (or in other forums). The best and most valid are just the ones that document their sources the best and refer people to actual sources of information to support their discussion.

Digi
Megatom, if you're genuinely interested, read some books touching on these topics, use them to refine your ideas, and then search literature and internet to see if those ideas exist, are supported, or refuted by studies and evidence. You won't find much traction here.

srug

Shakyamunison
I don't necessarily think a teleporter is more realistic. Actually this is one of my problems with Star Trek. The fact that they have a teleporter to me suggests that they should say be able to grow back Geordi's eyes, since we're working on regeneration technology now. I mean, what I'm saying is unlikely, like 1 in a billion but saying it's like playing a violin right is a little severe. Mutations like I'm describing can happen relatively often because it is a relatively simple mutation as long as the body can incorporate the material. This may have already happened to someone. "Superhands" is an Asian man who has hands which he can temporarily put into woks with 900 degree temperatures. Could he have the kind of mutation I'm describing? Silicones or fluorocarbons are 2 materials which are hydrophobic (non-polar), thus molecules of those types could indeed form a second layer on cells hypothetically allowing the powers I suggested. There are other materials which can direct or block specific types of energy which would be compatible with cells (though granted the chance of invisibility is still virtually nil).

You are not talking about science. You are talking about fiction. The ability to control the human DNA in the manner you are talking about is impossible with the technology we have today. It would be like asking a cave man to build a computer.

Megatom
Really? Because scientists have been able to make glow in the dark mice, and recently have been able to manipulate genes to regenerate the thymus in mice. Given how far we've come in the last few decades or even years, we could be able to manipulate genes relatively well in the near future. Just look up genetic engineering.

Megatom
I posted here simply because I wasn't sure if what I'm talking about is at all worthy of a direct biology/science website. I'm on the border of being on to something or just being a flunk.

Robtard
I've bent steal before.

Shakyamunison
Really? Because scientists have been able to make glow in the dark mice, and recently have been able to manipulate genes to regenerate the thymus in mice. Given how far we've come in the last few decades or even years, we could be able to manipulate genes relatively well in the near future. Just look up genetic engineering.

Yes, we have shoved stuff into cells and sometimes we get cool things to happen. But we are not in control.

Do a little research; how many times do we have to attempt and fail before we can clone an animal.

Megatom
Ok. Going with what you're saying, maybe with some time AND some luck we can get somewhere like what I'm talking about. The main point of this was to at least give the concept a little possibility. I'm trying to connect it as vague science for the future, instead of just something like getting hit by lightning and a bunch of chemicals, which not only doesn't make a bit of sense, but it doesn't have any specific science concept to be investigated.

Shakyamunison
Ok. Going with what you're saying, maybe with some time AND some luck we can get somewhere like what I'm talking about. The main point of this was to at least give the concept a little possibility. I'm trying to connect it as vague science for the future, instead of just something like getting hit by lightning and a bunch of chemicals, which not only doesn't make a bit of sense, but it doesn't have any specific science concept to be investigated.

If you want a better science fiction set up for a supper hero, then use alien tech. You can do anything, then.

I do have an answer, or a better way, but I will not tell you because I am using it in my graphic novel.

Good luck.

Megatom
Sigh. Well it wasn't really supposed to just be for science fiction, but thanks anyway. I guess I could use it for science fiction and use the money for my research in this area (though I usually do physics).

Shakyamunison
Sigh. Well it wasn't really supposed to just be for science fiction, but thanks anyway. I guess I could use it for science fiction and use the money for my research in this area (though I usually do physics).

Really? Then what Digi suggested is what you should do.

All you are going to get here is nothing or smart ass replies like mine.

Megatom
Indeed.

Shakyamunison
Indeed.

You do physics? Indeed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.