Why aren't cars made of titanium?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
I was just wondering, because titanium doesn't rust, so you wouldn't ever need to paint it. It's very durable, lighter than steel, so it wouldn't put as much wear on brakes, or your tires, and it would also save us loads in gas.

So why aren't cars made of it?

jaden101
Because in pure form it's 8 times as expensive as stainless steel or aluminium and in alloy form which it would need to be in for car manufacturing it costs 16 times as much.

Mindship
I suspect a more durable auto would also thwart the 'planned obsolescence' element that's been ingrained into overall manufacturing since the 1970s. Things aren't built to last like they used to be.

Stealth Moose
Both of the above answers are pretty solid.

Time Immemorial
Same reasons planes are nott but the black boxes are, too damn expensive and not enough of it on the earth for all cars cause its a complex process I presume. Hence why we should drill the moon for it laughing out loud

Shakyamunison
Titanium is very difficult to work with. You have to have special equipment to cut or weld Titanium.

Oneness
They make a slight profit off remaking cars that have been totaled. A huge profit actually.

That's precisely why.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Titanium is very difficult to work with. You have to have special equipment to cut or weld Titanium. We put a man on the moon.

True story.

We have the technology to make the world such a great place. But money gets in the way. More specifically, the greed money produces.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Oneness
They make a slight profit off remaking cars that have been totaled. A huge profit actually.

That's precisely why.

We put a man on the moon.

True story.

We have the technology to make the world such a great place. But money gets in the way. More specifically, the greed money produces.

If NASA build cars they would cost $1 million each for the lowest model.

Oneness
If NASA build cars they would cost $1 million each for the lowest model. If our usage of money weren't a debt producing engine for most of the world and a get-rich-quick scheme for the top dogs $1 million would be the equivalent of $1 thousand due to the incredible manufacturing capability we have now being unaffected by the total lack of purchasing power.

Robtard
Jaden's correct.

Mindship's correct.

Oneness is correct about the moon landing.

Shakyamunison
If money weren't a debt producing engine $1 million would be the equivalent of $1 thousand due to the incredible manufacturing capability we have now being unaffected by the total lack of purchasing power.

If money didn't exist, then cars wouldn't exist.

Oneness
If our usage of money weren't a debt producing engine for most of the world and a get-rich-quick scheme for the top dogs $1 million would be the equivalent of $1 thousand due to the incredible manufacturing capability we have now being unaffected by the total lack of purchasing power.

Oneness
If money didn't exist, then cars wouldn't exist. Don't quote me before I've finished correcting myself.

Shakyamunison

Please stop quoting yourself. That is forum masturbation.

Oneness
I quoted myself because you're impatient and it is imperative that you reread my finalized post.

I agree that money is the sole perpetuation of incentive in human society, but it has been allowed to become a tool.

That's why safe cars are unnecessarily economically impractical; moreover, that's the main cause of human suffering in the modern world.

Epicurus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Firebird#Firebird_II

Shakyamunison
I quoted myself because you're impatient and it is imperative that you reread my finalized post.

I agree that money is the sole perpetuation of incentive in human society, but it has been allowed to become a tool.

That's why safe cars are unnecessarily economically impractical; moreover, that's the main cause of human suffering in the modern world.

Try building a factory and selling cars under a barter system. It's just not worth the effort.

Robtard

Not having cheap safe cars is the main cause of human suffering in the world?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
Not having cheap safe cars is the main cause of human suffering in the world?
laughing out loud I missed that one.

Oneness
Try building a factory and selling cars under a barter system. It's just not worth the effort. That has nothing to do with what I was saying.

Not having cheap safe cars is the main cause of human suffering in the world? That was an addendum to the exploitation of capitalism to produce scarcity as opposed to the lack of personal purchasing power and subsequent economic impracticality of manufacturing safe vehicles that has resulted from it, this was made clearly apparent in my sentence.

Shakyamunison
That has nothing to do with what I was saying.

That's correct! You were ignoring reality.

Oneness
I feel lethal, lusting to get the better of those who take advantage of the masses.

I'm a megalomaniac and I will fix the world.

Because I believe we are in control of our own fate, not those who got ahead in the money game.

That's correct! You were ignoring reality.

Yet you've failed to successfully demonstrate the validity of that ad hominem.

Robtard
That has nothing to do with what I was saying.

That was an addendum to the exploitation of capitalism to produce scarcity as opposed to the lack of personal purchasing power and subsequent economic impracticality of manufacturing safe vehicles that has resulted from it, this was made clearly apparent in my sentence.

No, the way you worded it, it came off as I questioned. But okay.

Oneness
No, the way you worded it, it came off as I questioned. But okay. No it did not. Ho-kay then! mad mad mad mad

Shakyamunison
I feel lethal, lusting to get the better of those who take advantage of the masses.

I'm a megalomaniac and I will fix the world.

Because I believe we are in control of our own fate, not those who got ahead in the money game.

Yet you've failed to successfully demonstrate the validity of that ad hominem.

No ad hominem! I was pointing out that part of the equation that you have been ignoring. Why should anyone care? If you don't pay people in one way or another, why would they build cars? Money has made it possible to give people a reason. The consequence of that is inexpensive cars that do a good job of protecting people, but they are not tanks, or spaceships.

Oneness
The consequence of that is inexpensive cars that do a good job of protecting people, but they are not tanks, or spaceships. That could be a good thing.

The global stress level would be far lower in a more primitive society. In fact it is, the stress level is marginally increasing as the business world becomes a cesspool of competition. I would rather live like a Hobbit than live in this day and age.

Epicurus
You were ignoring reality.
That's not really news.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Epicurus
That's not really news.

laughing out loud Very true.

Oneness
laughing out loud Very true. How so?

I'd already pointed out the fact that without money there's no incentive, I never disagreed with you on that to begin with.

You're slowly sinking into ad hominems and erroneous assumptions about me.

The truth is, to quote the Verve, "I'm a million different people from one day to the next. I am here in my mold."

Shakyamunison
How so?

I'd already pointed out the fact that without money there's no incentive, I never disagreed with you on that to begin with.

You're slowly sinking into ad hominems and erroneous assumptions about me.

The truth is, to quote the Verve, "I'm a million different people from one day to the next. I am here in my mold."

You have a reputation that would make Rod Serling do a double take.

Robtard
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call "The Oneness Zone".

Oneness
You have a reputation that would make Rod Serling do a double take. That's not possible, for I am far less well-known than Rod Sterling was.

jinXed by JaNx
Kind of lie asking why we don't make cars out of diamonds. However, that argument is probably better because we can artificially manufacture diamonds without depleting important resources at the same time. I'm banking on plastic cars in the future, myself haha

Robtard
Plastic cars already exist, at least in part.

Oneness
You have a reputation that would make Rod Serling do a double take. I know when to write off divination as coincidence, and when not to.

Shakyamunison
I know when to write off divination as coincidence, .

Did you just link to another forum? And why?

On second thought, never mind, I don't want to know.

Oneness
Did you just link to another forum? And why?

On second thought, never mind, I don't want to know. Read what my "What The F" persona has to say.

That is indicative numerological divination that cannot be misconstrued as explicable coincidence.

Time Immemorial
Don't quote me before I've finished correcting myself. Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Please stop quoting yourself. That is forum masturbation.

pile

Robtard
Read what my "What The F" persona has to say.

That is indicative numerological divination that cannot be misconstrued as explicable coincidence.

So I skimmed through it and I hate to break it to you, but breaking a mirror is 7 years bad luck; not 6 sad

Oneness
So I skimmed through it and I hate to break it to you, but breaking a mirror is 7 years bad luck; not 6 sad Which is why I said 2016 was my final year, and not after my final year, of bad luck.

Robtard
Ah, as I said, I skimmed through it.

jinXed by JaNx
Plastic cars already exist, at least in part.

oooh, yeah, I forgot about lego land embarrasment Iguess what I meant to say there,was, i'm banking on legos. I think it's the only real viable that will address all of the plastic waste in the world and the amount at which we produce it. Just start making building projects out of legos.

Shakyamunison
Which is why I said 2016 was my final year, and not after my final year, of bad luck.

That is superstition and not reality. The reason braking a mirror was 7 years of bad luck was because mirrors in the past were so expensive that it would take the average person 7 years to pay it off.

Oneness
That is superstition and not reality. The reason braking a mirror was 7 years of bad luck was because mirrors in the past were so expensive that it would take the average person 7 years to pay it off. You're helping my cause.

As if the tables were to turn in 2016, that is 6 years afterwards, so you're making superstitious a troublesome part of my observations.

Shakyamunison
You're helping my cause.

As if the tables were to turn in 2016, that is 6 years afterwards, so you're making superstitious a troublesome part of my observations.

I'm sure it was accidental, because I never understand what your point is.

Oneness
I'm sure it was accidental, because I never understand what your point is. I've been at the schizophrenic level, failing to grasp any decipherable notion, assertion, or idea in particular - as in this particular case - so I must wait until events unfold to develop that clear picture here.

I'm talking about the path in which life takes, fate. To know the future is to be trapped by it.

Mindship
They should make cars out of the same stuff they make superballs.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
They should make cars out of the same stuff they make superballs.
I can see it now! Fender-bender leads to across town fly over and back. laughing out loud

Omega Vision
Pretty sure titanium is used in many cars, but only for components that absolutely need its properties.

0mega Spawn
Why are cars made of diamonds? They're all shiny and shit

Stealth Moose
Why aren't people made of titanium? Would save on seatbelt costs, clearly.

Shakyamunison
Good thing titanium is made of titanium.

Bardock42
70% of Titanium is not even made of Titanium!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bardock42

laughing out loud

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Bardock42

WUT.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
WUT.

I assume he is talking about titanium-oxide.

Bardock42
Sometimes I just say things. Most times even.

Always.

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Why aren't people made of titanium? Would save on seatbelt costs, clearly.
no expression... use a gaddam jeanus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.