Incalculables

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
How do you calculate, luck, karma, divine intervention and coincidence?

If you believe in God, you believe in divine intervention.

If your Buddhist you believe in Karma.

As for luck is that a term for those of no faith? "Man I was so lucky!"

Is luck in winning the lottery, even though its literally impossible for you to win, however someone wins, how do you explain these things.

When something is actually a true coincidence, very hard to explain.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
How do you calculate, luck, karma, divine intervention and coincidence?

If you believe in God, you believe in divine intervention.

If your Buddhist you believe in Karma.

As for luck is that a term for those of no faith? "Man I was so lucky!"

Is luck in winning the lottery, even though its literally impossible for you to win, however someone wins, how do you explain these things.

When something is actually a true coincidence, very hard to explain.

A/B=C
Where
A is cause and effect
B is time
C is Karma

Robtard
Originally posted by Time Immemorial

It's not literally impossible to win the lottery cos as you noted, people do win. The chances are extremely low though; they've done the math of 1-in-chance for the various lotteries depending on the format of the game.

edit: Looked it up, Powerball is 1 in 175,223,510. /calculated

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Robtard
It's not literally impossible to win the lottery cos as you noted, people do win. The chances are extremely low though; they've done the math of 1-in-chance for the various lotteries depending on the format of the game.

edit: Looked it up, Powerball is 1 in 175,223,510. /calculated

To win in those odds though, is that luck, karma, or divine intervention?

Robtard
Probably just random.

Mindship
Finding a parking spot in Manhattan.

Digi
Wrong question here. Or rather, not enough possible answers given as possibilities. You're not considering every option. Everything is causal determinism. Calling it any of those other things - luck, karma, etc. - is just a placeholder word that confuses the reality of the situation. It's saying "I'm not sure how everything happened, so I'm going to give it a word that's ambiguous enough to encompass that confusion."

Some definitions of karma that I've seen are basically synonymous with determinism, and some definitions of luck can be incorporated into a deterministic worldview. But then it begs the question of their use at all, when they are used to mean so many other things by people.

If you drop an apple it falls. Ergo, the universe.

Shakyamunison
Digi, with all due respect, you are a word Nazi at times. laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.