What are your favorite Starwars era's?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PTforthewin
Mine are the prequal triology and clone wars era and legacy era aswell

DarthAnt66
KotOR and early Legacy (LOTF & FOTJ).

Q99
New Sith Wars (love all the warlords and such), late Legacy (comics etc), and, yes, the Clone Wars (so much material!).

I like a lot of Luke's stuff, but it's an up-and-down time period so I hesitate to put it in my favs.

Astor Ebligis
Dawn of the Jedi
TotJ
ToR
NSW

Intrepid37
Are we talking about timeline, characters and such, or the materials released?

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Intrepid37
Are we talking about timeline, characters and such, or the materials released? I don't give a shit

Intrepid37
Originally posted by PTforthewin
I don't give a shit
k

S_W_LeGenD
In specific order:

- KoTOR I
- SWTOR
- Reign of Tulak Hord
- KoTOR II
- Force Wars (First Great Schism; Second Great Schism)
- OT
- PT

I also find the lore of Rakatans and Celestials interesting.

Intrepid37
lol^

Q99
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

- Reign of Tulak Hord

That's... impressive, as we don't know when it is ^^

And those are literally tens of thousands of years apart* smile That said, the Second Great Schism is awesome, I think I'll add the Hundred Years Darkness to my list.

*It's kinda like how we talk of 'ancient egypt' as one time period, but it was a succession of kingdoms/dynasties, the end of which is closer to us than it was to the beginning.

psmith81992
Anything up until SWTOR

Darth Abonis
So hard to tell. I like all eras until they're overkilled. Right now I prefer the latest era of Legacy as it is fresh and completely anything goes.

Nephthys
Originally posted by psmith81992
Anything up until SWTOR

If this is including Swtor, then agreed.

ares834
Top three (in order):

OT

TotJ/KotOR

NJO

DarthAnt66
SWTOR was awful.

Galan007
Clone Wars, definitely.

NJO is a distant second for me.

psmith81992
The idea of SWTOR was amazing. The execution blew.

DarthAnt66
The idea? Pfftt...
"Let's make a great antagonist."
Makes a carbon copy of Sidious with Nihilus abilities.
"Let's make a great protagonist."
Rips off the entire "Chosen One" thing and makes the HOT.
"Lets create other classes like the HOT."
Creates lots of awful classes with pitiful story lines.

I honestly don't understand why they wouldn't put Revan instead of the HOT. If they did that, the entire KOTOR fanbase would buy the game instantly.

Nephthys
I'm pretty sure they couldn't have thousands of Revans running around. Also that wouldn't make sense as an MMO or an RPG. Also that would be terrible. Also bwah?????

Also also the other classes are ****ing awesome with great storylines. And the "Chosen One" aspect was so underutilised in the Jedi Knight story that its almost not even there. It comes up in one optional conversation with Scourge halfway through his companion conversations.

Q99
Originally posted by DarthAnt66

I honestly don't understand why they wouldn't put Revan instead of the HOT. If they did that, the entire KOTOR fanbase would buy the game instantly.

He'd probably be considered too much of a Mary Sue ^^

Also because by that point he'd been pretty strongly defined, and players are supposed to be able to decide their characters.

The Merchant
Original trilogy is my favorite. Then it's the Clone wars era. After which I'll most likely go with 9 ABY era. I personally think that besides KOTOR 1 a lot of that stuff blows, specifically the Tales of the Jedi stuff. So over hyped and none of the characters are really memorable in any way.

ares834
Originally posted by Nephthys
I'm pretty sure they couldn't have thousands of Revans running around.

No different then thousands of HoTs running around. But yeah, it would have been stupid as shit.

chilled monkey
My favourites are SWTOR and early Legacy (LOTF & FOTJ).

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
SWTOR was awful.

You're entitled to your opinion but personally I thought it was awesome. It had some great characters, a dynamic setting that allowed for tons of variety and the Sith of this era are some of the best designed ever (mostly).

Mainly as they aren't just a bunch of guys in generic black robes and (best of all) they actually have some variety to lightsabre colours. Yeah, red is still the most common but there's also some purple and yellow.

Nephthys
Originally posted by ares834
No different then thousands of HoTs running around. But yeah, it would have been stupid as shit.

HoT is just a title though. The Hero can be any gender, size or race and have any name. Not so much with Revan.

Q99
Originally posted by The Merchant
Original trilogy is my favorite. Then it's the Clone wars era. After which I'll most likely go with 9 ABY era. I personally think that besides KOTOR 1 a lot of that stuff blows, specifically the Tales of the Jedi stuff. So over hyped and none of the characters are really memorable in any way.

KotoR comic was fantastic too.

carthage
OT
Tales of the Jedi

About it really, I'm not so big on entire eras in terms of scope but characters. The PT era sucks massively though and if all of the CW and PT were to be retconned I'd dance in the streets

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Galan007
Clone Wars, definitely.

NJO is a distant second for me.

thumb up

The narrative of the Clone Wars/prequel trilogy is the most interesting to me. You have the labyrinthine machinations of the mythology's greatest villain leading to an exceptionally rare case of The Bad Guy Wins. You have well-intentioned but tragically flawed heroes in the form of the Jedi, Obi-Wan, and Anakin. You have a war of unprecedented size and scope. It's a tale of conspiracy and corruption, war and wrath.

And you also have Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

Astor Ebligis
Originally posted by The_Tempest
You have a war of unprecedented size and scope.

Ahem.

Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
NSW

Intrepid37
OT stomps.

The_Tempest
Ahem.

Nope.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc520/G1d3on91/CloneWarsgreatestwarever_zps535a99e6.jpg

Astor Ebligis
Dawn of the Jedi
TotJ
ToR
NSW

Just realised I can basically sum this up as pre-movie stuff. I guess I'm more interested in the mysteries and mythology of the ancient past, and it's cool seeing the different conflicts between the Sith and the Jedi of old.

Not really interested in the PT/OT eras, as I feel the primary stories there have already been told. The NJO stuff, and the conflicts of that era, bore me for the most part. Legacy is ok but having the Sith return once again, again bores me, as does making the story all about Skywalker.

So yeah, pre-movies all the way. I want to see the discovery of the Force on Tython, the formation of the Jedi and the Sith, the more primite but exotic Force Users wielding th Force as if it were magic, wars between entire legions of Jedi and Sith, the machinations of the Celestials and the Architects, the exploits of the Mandalorians in their prime, the early days of hyperspace travel, the formation of the Rule of Two etc. The present and the future suck.

Astor Ebligis
Nope.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc520/G1d3on91/CloneWarsgreatestwarever_zps535a99e6.jpg

Yeah but NSW was comparably as far reaching, but lasted much, much longer.

The_Tempest
I'd only be interested in seeing all that shit if they can tell it well. Honestly, the Star Wars EU generally sucks so much because it feels the need to tell everything and the execution is rarely up to par.

The_Tempest

Nah. The guide goes on to say that the Republic has "never faced as serious a threat" to its existence as the CIS. The Clone Wars were pretty much bigger and badder than any war that came before it.

The fact that Palpatine personally orchestrated and managed this thing makes him look like an even bigger badass.

Nephthys
Never faced as serious a threat other than that one time Vitiate almost devoured the universe. Or when it was on the brink of collapse in Kotor 2.

Just realised I can basically sum this up as pre-movie stuff. I guess I'm more interested in the mysteries and mythology of the ancient past, and it's cool seeing the different conflicts between the Sith and the Jedi of old.

Not really interested in the PT/OT eras, as I feel the primary stories there have already been told. The NJO stuff, and the conflicts of that era, bore me for the most part. Legacy is ok but having the Sith return once again, again bores me, as does making the story all about Skywalker.

So yeah, pre-movies all the way. I want to see the discovery of the Force on Tython, the formation of the Jedi and the Sith, the more primite but exotic Force Users wielding th Force as if it were magic, wars between entire legions of Jedi and Sith, the machinations of the Celestials and the Architects, the exploits of the Mandalorians in their prime, the early days of hyperspace travel, the formation of the Rule of Two etc. The present and the future suck.

thumb up

Astor Ebligis
I'd only be interested in seeing all that shit if they can tell it well. Honestly, the Star Wars EU generally sucks so much because it feels the need to tell everything and the execution is rarely up to par.

Maybe. I'm not saying it's the best stuff ever but it's adequate at least in quality that as a big Star Wars fan I can really enjoy it. Stuff like Kotor 1, Kotor 2, TOR, PoD (which was actually a lot better than the other 2 darth bane books and revan, and not bad), Dawn of the Jedi, the TotJ comics.

The_Tempest
Maybe. I'm not saying it's the best stuff ever but it's adequate at least in quality that as a big Star Wars fan I can really enjoy it. Stuff like Kotor 1, Kotor 2, TOR, PoD (which was actually a lot better than the other 2 darth bane books and revan, and not bad), Dawn of the Jedi, the TotJ comics.

KotOR was great; KotOR II was great in theory but weak in practice; TOR's meta story sucks; PoD was decent; haven't read DotJ and TOTJ is pretty good (if dated).

It doesn't need to be the best stuff ever, but it ought to be pretty good. I'd be content with SW EU releases being cut down to a third of what they are as long as the quality were enhanced.

Nephthys
I still think you're overly critical to TOR. If you'd gave it a chance I'd think you'd enjoy it near as much as Kotor.

Astor Ebligis
Agreed. Seeing as it's F2P now as well, I feel like any Star Wars fan would be doing themselves a disservice in not giving it a try.

It isn't even that time consuming like other MMOs. I mean, I only play it in 1.5 hour slots every other day, and because my laptop has basically gone to shit I've only been playing it recently when I come back for the holidays and have access to my desktop. And the thing is, you can actually play it like that, whereas any other MMO would demand way more of your time and no such breaks. You can basically play it like a single player RPG, and take breaks between planets.

Edit - and its story is just as good as the first Kotor, the Mass Effects and the Dragon Ages imo.

Nephthys
And unlike those games, its got 8 different stories for you to pick from, most with different genres and tones. You don't want to be the Chosen One? Play as a Smuggler, comedy style. Jedi stuff not your bag? Why not try Bounty Hunting? Or Espionage? Or a Sith Lords rise to power.

Astor Ebligis
Its got like a million different ways you can play it.

BTW Nephthys you hear about Guild Battleships and Legacy Houses?

Q99

Indeed. They lasted a thousand years and killed the hypernet.

The Clone Wars may have been effectively the largest-scale individual war that lasted a few years, at least in terms of making worlds pick sides (many still had little to no fighting- I'm pretty sure a number of wars had more casualties and more battles, the TOR war most obviously), but the New Sith Wars were effectively a few hundred overlapping wars that went everywhere and caused damage like literally no other conflict.

Even worlds outside of Sith space were more isolated and often were lead by individual Jedi Lords!

It's one of the few conflicts where one can say, "Yes, galactic society and technology backslid as a result of this. Significantly."

The_Tempest
You should brush up on your Clone Wars lore, Q.

Q99
You should brush up on your Clone Wars lore, Q.

That's a vague comment. What do you mean?

Astor Ebligis
Another perk of liking the pre-movie stuff, is that if anything's safe from getting retconned by the new canon, it's that. Post-movie stuff on the other hand is clearly at massive risk.

Astor Ebligis
Originally posted by Q99
That's a vague comment. What do you mean?

NTJack0
Top three (in order):

OT

TotJ/KotOR

NJO

ares834
Another perk of liking the pre-movie stuff, is that if anything's safe from getting retconned by the new canon, it's that. Post-movie stuff on the other hand is clearly at massive risk.

Yeah... nothing is safe. Post-movie stuff is pretty much guaranteed to be gone though.

chilled monkey
Yeah... nothing is safe. Post-movie stuff is pretty much guaranteed to be gone though.

Not necessarily. Perhaps the new movies will be set post-Crucible. That would be EPIC!

But even if not, nothing will be "gone" really. I mean, okay, we won't get anymore new books, comics etc in that particular setting and sure that's a downer, but we'll still have the existing books etc that we love. And if you want anything new there's always fanfiction to keep it alive.

DarthAnt66
Wasn't it confirmed to take place 25 or 35 (forget which one) after ROTJ already?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.