1/5th of China's soil "contaminated"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-27076645

This is according to a government report, demonstrating that the situation is so severe that the Chinese government isn't even going to attempt to cover it up or downplay it.

Considering that China accounts for the largest agricultural output in the world (granted, very little of it is exported) this is a troubling revelation.

I believe the entire world should work to help China with its ecological problems, because it's really only a canary in the coal mine for the rest of the world--countries like India and Nigeria would do well to pay attention.

Epicurus
The price of development. I wouldn't be surprised if China and India, the world's 2 most populous countries, end up becoming pollution-ridden wastelands within another 40-50 years.

Robtard
Originally posted by Epicurus
The price of development. I wouldn't be surprised if China and India, the world's 2 most populous countries, end up becoming pollution-ridden wastelands within another 40-50 years.

Already there

Epicurus
Originally posted by Robtard
Already there
Not quite. Their carbon footprint is nowhere near that of developed countries.

Give it a few decades, and they'll not only reach there, but also surpass it.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Epicurus
Not quite. Their carbon footprint is nowhere near that of developed countries.
China's carbon-dioxide emissions through fossil fuels is leading the pack with a cool 26% of the global total.

Robtard
Showed him

Bardock42
He probably meant "per capita". Still even then it is in line with other countries in the developed world. Above France and Italy, slightly below the UK.

Lord Lucien
On an individual basis, we're all far more evil and destructive than the Chinese. Just yesterday I personally felled half a dozen redwood trees.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
On an individual basis, we're all far more evil and destructive than the Chinese. Just yesterday I personally felled half a dozen redwood trees.

Given that bears can vote in Canada, this was probably an unwise decision.

jaden101
**** 'em.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Given that bears can vote in Canada, this was probably an unwise decision. All they want is their goddamn pick-a-nick basket. They'd stop voting for pro-industry if we just gave it to them already.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by jaden101
**** 'em.
4dQKo6m2PB4

-Omega Vision,

Derailing his own threads since 09.

jaden101
My house sits where a foundry used to be. We got the soil tested tested for contaminants last year (after living in the house for 12 years) by the local authorities. The guy asked me 'have you ever grown food in your garden?' I said no. He said 'good. Don't. Or you won't be in the house another 12 years'

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by jaden101
My house sits where a foundry used to be. We got the soil tested tested for contaminants last year (after living in the house for 12 years) by the local authorities. The guy asked me 'have you ever grown food in your garden?' I said no. He said 'good. Don't. Or you won't be in the house another 12 years'

Ask him to bury the inspection documents so your sale price doesn't plummet.

Epicurus
Originally posted by Bardock42
He probably meant "per capita".
thumb up

jaden101
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Ask him to bury the inspection documents so your sale price doesn't plummet.

I just buried him instead. Same result.

Stealth Moose
thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.