Top five favorite Resident Evil characters?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Renegade
Okay, so, this is your ALL TIME top five favorite Resident Evil characters.

I'd prefer if you'd choose major and/or playable characters/villains. It does not have to be in order (mine is not) so go at it.

Mine:

- Sherry Birkin
- Leon Kennedy
- Sheva Alomar
- Albert Wesker
- Rebecca Chambers

Stealth Moose
Leon Scott Kennedy
Ada Wong
Jill Valentine
Albert Wesker
Claire Redfield

Impediment
Leon
Jill
Claire
Wesker
Chris

Stealth Moose
I'm still waiting for some oddball to be like :

Enrico Marini
Joseph Frost
Third Zombie from the Left
Toilet Zombie
Ark Thompson

The Renegade
Ark Thompson. Holy f*ck, I had almost forgotten about his goddamn existence.

Reasonably so, I think.

Zack Fair
1. Leon
2. Wesker
3. Ada Wong
4. Claire
5. Jill

Notable mention
Billy Cohen.

-Pr-
Leon
Ada
Barry
Wesker
Carlos

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Zack Fair
1. Leon
2. Wesker
3. Ada Wong
4. Claire
5. Jill

Notable mention
Billy Cohen.

thumb up

I almost put Billy. He needs a comeback. Righteous hardass.

Originally posted by The Renegade
Ark Thompson. Holy f*ck, I had almost forgotten about his goddamn existence.

Reasonably so, I think.

He's Leon's buddy. I don't think they officially gaiden'd the game yet.

The Renegade
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
thumb up

I almost put Billy. He needs a comeback. Righteous hardass.

He's one of my favorites, not just thanks to Zero. He's a great character to pull in the Deck Building game.

He's a tool, is what he is.

Stealth Moose
What's the Deck Building game now?

And Ark Thompson is a ****ing moron. Who tries to find out about an Umbrella CEO in a small remote island town built by the company by pretending to be the person they're asking about?

That's below sitcom stupidity there.

The Renegade
What's the Deck Building game now?

http://residentevil.wikia.com/Resident_Evil:_The_Deck_Building_Game

I own the core set and most of the expansions. It's disgustingly fun, especially when you do the "co-op" mode.

Arachnid1
1. Leon
2. Wesker
3. Ada Wong
4. Claire
5. Jill

Notable mention
Billy Cohen. Almost my exact list. Just switch Ada and Claire for me. And definitely on Billy. He was a legitimate badass from the dead beginning, before Chris became The Rock, Leon became Bruce Lee, and Wesker became Neo. Billy is a badass.

Rebecca also deserves a mention. I'm actually tempted to switch Jill or Ada out of my list for her.

Stealth Moose
But Rebecca was The Load in RE 1, and while nominally the star in Zero, horribly overshadowed by Billy Badass.

StyleTime
HUNK

The Renegade
Originally posted by StyleTime
HUNK

Come on, man.

I thought Sesame Street did a decent job in teaching us how to count to at least five.

Kazenji
Leon Scott Kennedy
Albert Wesker
Ada Wong
Jill Valentine
Claire Redfield

NemeBro
Barry Burton. Any other answer is basically wrong.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by NemeBro
Barry Burton. Any other answer is basically wrong.

Sees blood on a potential crime scene.
http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo057eI6e61qa1vjko1_500.gif
Touches and sniffs that shit.

The Renegade
Touches and sniffs that shit.

thumb up

NemeBro
Touches and sniffs that shit. I'm glad I could change your mind, he truly is the best character. thumb up

Bardock42
I've played Resident Evil 5 and I don't remember one character...

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Bardock42

An overwhelming majority of the cast and extras were black.

Racist.

The Renegade
An overwhelming majority of the cast and extras were black.

Racist.

I'd hate to see him trying to shake one of their hands at the Olympics. Sheesh.

What is with Marius and the Olympics, anyway?

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Bardock42

I've played every Resident Evil game in the main series(bar RE4) and I don't remember a single character either. RE has terrible, cardboard-cutout characters across the board and the only worthwhile characters in the franchise are the BOWs. So, anyway, here's my list:

1. Nemesis
2. T-00
3. G-Birkin
4. t-Virus zombies
5. Thanatos.

Zack Fair
He's one of my favorites, not just thanks to Zero. He's a great character to pull in the Deck Building game.

He's a tool, is what he is. Nice to see a fellow player of the deck bulding game in here. What are Billy's skills>

NemeBro
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
RE has terrible, cardboard-cutout characters across the board But you're a Blizzard fan.

The Renegade
Nice to see a fellow player of the deck bulding game in here. What are Billy's skills>

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--jNm11k-U4M/UPxKEbshYeI/AAAAAAAAAJg/iy6hFj6xaI0/s320/Billy+Coen.jpg

Kazenji
I've played every Resident Evil game in the main series(bar RE4) and I don't remember a single character either. RE has terrible, cardboard-cutout characters across the board

no expression

Zack Fair
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--jNm11k-U4M/UPxKEbshYeI/AAAAAAAAAJg/iy6hFj6xaI0/s320/Billy+Coen.jpg Hmmm Who do you prefer playing as/have fun playing and who do you think is OP? You guys play with house rules? We sort of feel Sheeva, Jill(if you let her get the nades) and Claire are OP.

The Renegade
Hmmm Who do you prefer playing as/have fun playing and who do you think is OP? You guys play with house rules? We sort of feel Sheeva, Jill(if you let her get the nades) and Claire are OP. I have basically every card and Wesker and the 120HP version of Chris Redfield are horribly OP.

We randomly decide but I like Ada, Billy, and Claire.

ArtificialGlory
But you're a Blizzard fan.
Well, most of their characters are considerably more nuanced and interesting than RE characters. That's, of course, not necessarily saying much.

Originally posted by Kazenji
no expression
You know I'm right.

NemeBro
Well, most of their characters are considerably more nuanced and interesting than RE characters. That's, of course, not necessarily saying much. They're not though. Blizzard writing is trash.

ArtificialGlory
They're not though. Blizzard writing is trash.

Yes, they are. If Blizzard writing is trash, then what does that make RE writing?

NemeBro
Yes, they are. If Blizzard writing is trash, then what does that make RE writing? Also trash. That one pile stinks a little worse than the other is frankly irrelevant. No one but manchildren play either series for story.

ArtificialGlory
Also trash. That one pile stinks a little worse than the other is frankly irrelevant. No one but manchildren play either series for story.

Uh-huh, yes, I see. And now what do awesome, mature grown-ups play for the story?

The Renegade
Neither of them are actually bad so stop the pointless bickering.

ArtificialGlory
Neither of them are actually bad so stop the pointless bickering.

Pffft, you call this bickering? And Resident Evil is actually quite awful when it comes to characters, dialogue and story.

NemeBro
Neither of them are actually bad so stop the pointless bickering. Yes, they are, lol.

RE is B-movie shit and acknowledges that fact, whereas Blizzard is copy-pasted cardboard cookie-cutter characters galore.

NemeBro
Uh-huh, yes, I see. And now what do awesome, mature grown-ups play for the story? Red Dead Redemption, to name one. Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Bioshock.

Even Bioware consistently trumps Blizzard in the storytelling department.

The Renegade
I don't give a **** whether you consider it "B-movie shit" or not. Even if you didn't, this doesn't make it bad. Average or even good? Perhaps. I wouldn't agree but bad or awful? No.

Those are both bad and awful assessments.

NemeBro
I don't give a **** whether you consider it "B-movie shit" or not. Even if you didn't, this doesn't make it bad. Average or even good? Perhaps. I wouldn't agree but bad or awful? No.

Those are both bad and awful assessments.

If you enjoyed Resident Evil's characters and have an attachment to them and the story they are in, I would never try to rob you of that. And I'm not saying Resident Evil is incapable of producing entertainment. Barry Burton is one of the most entertaining characters in gaming. Wesker is also a very shallow, but very entertaining character.

But Resident Evil's characters and story, when analyzed with anything resembling objectivity, simply don't hold up. Character motivations are overtly simple and cookie-cutter. Emotional depth in the characters is virtually nonexistent. Resident Evil, as a series, almost epitomizes style over substance, and there is very, very little substance to be had there. Can the characters be entertaining? Sure. Does that make them good from a writing standpoint? No. No not really.

Try not to take what I say so personally. It is not as though I am without things I enjoy that are objectively sort of bad. I love the Chronicles of Riddick. I am also very ****ing well-aware that it isn't a good movie.

The Renegade
If you enjoyed Resident Evil's characters and have an attachment to them and the story they are in, I would never try to rob you of that. And I'm not saying Resident Evil is incapable of producing entertainment. Barry Burton is one of the most entertaining characters in gaming. Wesker is also a very shallow, but very entertaining character.

I'm not discussing subjective taste here either.

Yes, we can attempt to view storylines objectively but they aren't objective. There are standards and those exhibited in Resident Evil are not bad. They are good, from a writing standpoint. Do I think they're great? No. Do I think they're bad? No. Are they average? Perhaps. Some are a little below that and a little higher. However, they are not bad. Not even close.

Play games like "Rogue Warrior" or "Ride to Hell: Retribution." These are games with LEGITIMATELY bad/awful characters. As much as RE emphasizes style and atmosphere over character development, this isn't enough to claim these are bad characters, by any means, nor would I make that distinction.

You don't need to sit here and attempt to educate me on the objective/subjective differences of video games and/or media in general. It's needless. Also, the Chronicles of Riddick was technically good. Not storyline or character wise but technically so, which is the only thing we can actually focus on that contains objectivity in a film, it was.

Don't presume that I'm taking anything here "personally" because I'm genuinely apathetic about your "B-movie" assessment. I will address it, yes, because I care about the argument but the assessment is practically worthless because it's limited.

Kazenji

You know I'm right.

Who has a massive ego now?

and no your not right, NemeBro is more right then you on this topic.

ArtificialGlory
Who has a massive ego now?

and no your not right, NemeBro is more right then you on this topic.

Uhh, what?

NemeBro actually agrees with me on the topic of RE having trashy writing and characters.

Red Dead Redemption, to name one. Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Bioshock.

Even Bioware consistently trumps Blizzard in the storytelling department.

I haven't played RDR, but Bioshock was pretty good, Bioshock 2 was pretty meh, Infinite was sub-par. With the exception of the first game, hardly worth a mention.

Human Revolution is a good example of a story that tries too hard, attempts some shallow, half-assed takes on social issues, and has a perfectly bland protagonist to top it all off. Sure, it's a good game and certainly has better writing than, say, Diablo 3, but that's not an achievement of any note.

Well, Bioware's focus is writing and story, and it usually does it better than most. Blizzard's focus is gameplay and mechanics, and it usually does it better than most. Hardly surprising.

NemeBro
I haven't played RDR, but Bioshock was pretty good, Bioshock 2 was pretty meh, Infinite was sub-par. With the exception of the first game, hardly worth a mention.

If you notice, I said "Bioshock", not "Bioshock 2" or "Bioshock Infinite" or "The Bioshock series". Now I understand that you are disadvantaged in this topic of discussion, but please refrain from constructing my arguments for me in an attempt to knock them down.

Bioshock's writing is better than any game Blizzard has ever put out, especially because it is woven into the gameplay so seamlessly.

Such as?

I think the words you were looking for were "And isn't an over the top caricature". Because that would make him a Blizzard or RE character.

It has better writing than any game Blizzard has ever put out.

Diablo has always had a frankly sub-par storyline, even if it could be somewhat entertaining.

Its gameplay and mechanics are okay. I mean, nothing truly note-worthy in the vein of Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma. They're designed to be accessible, for a more casual sort of gamer.

The writing is just pretty bad, though. Like Resident Evil's.

NemeBro
I'm not discussing subjective taste here either.

Yes, we can attempt to view storylines objectively but they aren't objective. There are standards and those exhibited in Resident Evil are not bad. They are good, from a writing standpoint. Do I think they're great? No. Do I think they're bad? No. Are they average? Perhaps. Some are a little below that and a little higher. However, they are not bad. Not even close.

Play games like "Rogue Warrior" or "Ride to Hell: Retribution." These are games with LEGITIMATELY bad/awful characters. As much as RE emphasizes style and atmosphere over character development, this isn't enough to claim these are bad characters, by any means, nor would I make that distinction.

You don't need to sit here and attempt to educate me on the objective/subjective differences of video games and/or media in general. It's needless. Also, the Chronicles of Riddick was technically good. Not storyline or character wise but technically so, which is the only thing we can actually focus on that contains objectivity in a film, it was.

Don't presume that I'm taking anything here "personally" because I'm genuinely apathetic about your "B-movie" assessment. I will address it, yes, because I care about the argument but the assessment is practically worthless because it's limited. So uh, I just had almost all of my post typed out and then I somehow deleted my browser window.

Just assume that what I wrote was revolutionary and made you change your mind on everything.

The Renegade

Just assume that what I wrote was revolutionary and made you change your mind on everything.

Done. I apologize for my horrendous responses and I bow to your glory. Assumption accepted.

ArtificialGlory
If you notice, I said "Bioshock", not "Bioshock 2" or "Bioshock Infinite" or "The Bioshock series". Now I understand that you are disadvantaged in this topic of discussion, but please refrain from constructing my arguments for me in an attempt to knock them down.

Bioshock's writing is better than any game Blizzard has ever put out, especially because it is woven into the gameplay so seamlessly.

Such as?

I think the words you were looking for were "And isn't an over the top caricature". Because that would make him a Blizzard or RE character.

It has better writing than any game Blizzard has ever put out.

Diablo has always had a frankly sub-par storyline, even if it could be somewhat entertaining.

Its gameplay and mechanics are okay. I mean, nothing truly note-worthy in the vein of Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma. They're designed to be accessible, for a more casual sort of gamer.

The writing is just pretty bad, though. Like Resident Evil's.

My bad, whenever somebody mentions Bioshock I think of the entire series. And yes, Bioshock had better writing than anything Blizzard has put out, but by no means by a large margin. And even then it still suffered from a bland protagonist.

Such as... the entire game? But if you want an example: the mission where some guy murders his girlfriend and then you expose him through some recording. Felt like it was written by some 15 year-old who thinks he's got shit figured out. He doesn't.

There's a fine, fat line between a caricature and someone who's as interesting and riveting as a toilet lid. So anyway, which Blizzard protagonist do you think is an "over the top caricature"?

Arguably. I didn't think it was good at all. A plot that's less ambitious, but tighter will, to me, always win out over one whose reach exceeds its grasp.

Well, yes, Diablo never had a great plot, but it was kept minimalistic enough and the general atmosphere more than made up for it. The writers of Diablo 3 unfortunately did not do their homework.

No, the gameplay and mechanics aren't "okay", they're excellent. There's a damn good reason why Starcraft revolutionized the RTS genre and Diablo practically all but invented a genre of its own. Starcraft's "Aeon of Strife" also gave birth to the MOBA genre and I don't think I have to tell you what WoW did to MMOs, or what Starcraft/Starcraft 2 did for e-sports. So no, the word you're looking for isn't "casual", but rather the phrase "easy to learn, difficult to master" which has always been the credo of Blizzard. For example, Starcraft is definitely easier to get into than DS, but has a significantly higher skill ceiling. Dragon's Dogma and DS are ****ing footnotes at best next to Blizzard games.

The Renegade
Dragon's Dogma and DS are ****ing footnotes at best next to Blizzard games.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/dsgstd.gif

ArtificialGlory
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/dsgstd.gif

It is true. Deal.

Kazenji
Uhh, what?

NemeBro actually agrees with me on the topic of RE having trashy writing and characters.

Of course your overlooking the fact its ment to be like a B-grade movie roll eyes (sarcastic)

Kazenji
But anyway i get it that cheesy B-Grade writing isn't for you

your better then that.

ArtificialGlory
But anyway i get it that cheesy B-Grade writing isn't for you

your better then that.

I like it as a sort of a guilty pleasure, but I don't pretend it's any good.

The Renegade
I don't suffer from guilty pleasures.

Also, B-Grade writing is good. That's the point. It's not horrible or great but is good. I don't understand why this is SO confusing for people.

If you're a bit of an elitist with your taste and dismiss good? That's a preference, fair enough, but don't say good = bad. It doesn't. It never will, no matter how badly you want it to.

-Pr-

ArtificialGlory
I don't suffer from guilty pleasures.

Also, B-Grade writing is good. That's the point. It's not horrible or great but is good. I don't understand why this is SO confusing for people.

If you're a bit of an elitist with your taste and dismiss good? That's a preference, fair enough, but don't say good = bad. It doesn't. It never will, no matter how badly you want it to.

True, B-Grade writing can be pretty good, but RE isn't it. Frankly, I consider RE to be even below B-Grade stuff. It's C-Grade most of the time with quite a few instances of Z-Grade.

The Renegade
Let's say you believe that. Even then, C is considered satisfactory or even average, not bad. Albeit sharp exaggerations, saying it's bad is out of place.

ArtificialGlory
Let's say you believe that. Even then, C is considered satisfactory or even average, not bad. Albeit sharp exaggerations, saying it's bad is out of place.

That entirely depends on your standards. And they must not be very high if you find C satisfactory.

Stealth Moose
True, B-Grade writing can be pretty good, but RE isn't it. Frankly, I consider RE to be even below B-Grade stuff. It's C-Grade most of the time with quite a few instances of Z-Grade.

Could you be more specific? I can't agree with this at all. The progression in writing and entertainment value has gone up in the years.

ArtificialGlory
Could you be more specific? I can't agree with this at all. The progression in writing and entertainment value has gone up in the years.

Most of the RE games are basically somewhere around lower end of B-grade or C-grade. The Z-grade stuff was mainly in the earlier installments(RE1 especially so). So I guess you're pretty much right when you say that the writing value has gone up. As for the entertainment value, well, when RE went from 'survival horror' to 'action with horror elements', it's become increasingly subjective. Someone who is a die-hard fan of survival horror will find much more entertainment value in the earlier installments than somebody who doesn't care much either way or actually prefers action. Personally, I think that the later installments do indeed have more entertainment value, but they don't scratch my survival horror itch very well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.