avengers arena

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
so, who else has read this? curious about the general thoughts. i'll share some of mine below. spoilers ahead....

i actually enjoyed the series. i've always liked nico. the only thing i didn't much like was the fact that it kept on hinting at being more than it first appeared. it really.....wasn't. i also found the series on a whole seemed to rush itself to reach the end. the final "battle" among the survivors felt....needless to me, forced. the love story with nara also felt too rushed. with all that said, i still found it pretty compelling for some reason. some really good cliff-hanger moments, and i liked the spotlight on some of the lesser used characters. i didn't find the deaths meaningless and thought most were handled with respect. didn't like most of the killed off characters anyway..... i liked the overall premise, even though it is a bit cliche nowadays, but still, it's always a supportable, exciting idea. i didn't plan to check out avengers undercover, but i may now do so because i sort of liked the survivors. i thought bloodstone was quite cool and i always liked darkhawk and nico. cammi i hadn't seen before but she was also very cool.

anyway, just wondering if anyone else enjoyed or didn't enjoy it.

pym-ftw
I started it, and the fact they killed Mettle for no reason when he was easily one of the most popular characters from academy.

The fact they wouldn't just admit it was a hunger games money grab was also pathetic.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by pym-ftw
I started it, and the fact they killed Mettle for no reason when he was easily one of the most popular characters from academy.

The fact they wouldn't just admit it was a hunger games money grab was also pathetic. I think they do admit it. Arcade even says something like "I got the idea from a book"

pym-ftw
Did they later? There is a forward in one of the academy books where they answer a fan question about it and claim its an original idea.

leonidas
yeah, they had a play on words about arcade getting the idea from a book he read in prison. your opinion was certainly echoed by a lot of people in the letters columns throughout the early part of the series. it was interesting to watch the tone of the letter column evolve as the series went on. most were very antagonistic at the start but by the end most of the letters were in support of the series. of course it was a superpowered hunger games, but i don't think that was ever really intended to be a veiled comparison--not at least from what i read.....

imo it turned out to be worth the read.

Existere
Well wasn't the flaming red 'A' on the covers (one of the covers?) a clear reference to the Catching Fire mockingjay symbol? I thought it was meant to be a pretty in-your-face lampshade.

The series was strong though, I liked it a lot. I hadn't kept up with the most recent Runaways stuff or Cammi since Annihilation, and getting to see those characters recieve some spotlight again was a solid plus. And, for what it's worth, I continue to appreciate that as the demand grows for LGBT characters in comics, Marvel continues to find ways to introduce new ones as opposed to changing old ones (with some exceptions, Shatterstar etc.)

pym-ftw
Is the Trade out? I might finish this if you guys all ended up liking it.

leonidas
shrug

leonidas
Originally posted by Existere
Well wasn't the flaming red 'A' on the covers (one of the covers?) a clear reference to the Catching Fire mockingjay symbol? I thought it was meant to be a pretty in-your-face lampshade.

thumb up

i agree. i met some characters i'd not been introduced to before and i really liked nico's role and her power up sequence. and i liked the almost subtle way they handled the bloodstone/anachronism relationship. pretty well done.

on a personal note--glad to see you posting a little again. let's do up another bz sometime soon.

-K-M-
No it wasn't Hunger Games it was based off of Battle Royale

http://xmenthefanficseries.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/avengersarenabattleroyale.jpg

Basically the original movie that Hunger Games stole the idea from.

AA#3 definitely was a rip off of the Hunger Games though

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t87Qf9ODlcw/UgYyIz7-nNI/AAAAAAAAAyA/ZwM-Kz-dUdA/s1600/The+Hunger+Games+-+Avengers+Arena+3.jpg

basilisk
Originally posted by -K-M-

http://xmenthefanficseries.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/avengersarenabattleroyale.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t87Qf9ODlcw/UgYyIz7-nNI/AAAAAAAAAyA/ZwM-Kz-dUdA/s1600/The+Hunger+Games+-+Avengers+Arena+3.jpg

Thought the same. It's not like Hunger Games was the original concept, they can hardly complain about it being ripped off.

leonidas

huh. cool. that came out years before the novel. did not know that. thumb up

-K-M-
I actually have the movie on DVD. There was a sequel but never saw it though

basilisk
I actually have the movie on DVD. There was a sequel but never saw it though The first one is good (implausible, but good), the second one is not very good from what I remember.

pym-ftw
Not to derail this but Avengers Undercover is pretty good, only read issue #1 so far though.

leonidas
that's good to know. i was considering giving it a shot because like i said, i ended up really liking the characters in AA. can't believe there is still another avengers book though....

pym-ftw
It's not really an avengers book from the look of it, its the Arena kids getting revenge against Arcade.

leonidas
not sure if you checked out the issues yet, but i read the first 3 and enjoyed them quite a bit. i really like the direction of the book. def worth checking out, thanks for the heads up. thumb up

neighborsmovie
is it from avengers book smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.