Why was Anakin arrogant?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PTforthewin
Seriously why? He didn't even believe that he was the chosen one on mortis he even stated that "the chosen one is a myth" so why was he so arrogant?

NTJack0
Because he was pretty powerful, and he was well aware of it.

It's nothing to do with being the Chosen One.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by NTJack0
Because he was pretty powerful, and he was well aware of it.

It's nothing to do with being the Chosen One. weren't there many powerful jedi in the galaxy? So that means 3/4 of the entire order is full of arrogant whiny bitches?

Emperordmb
Originally posted by PTforthewin
weren't there many powerful jedi in the galaxy? So that means 3/4 of the entire order is full of arrogant whiny bitches?
They were trained in the Jedi ways from birth so they had better self discipline.

Yoda did say that arrogance wasn't uncommon however.

GenomeFrozener
Because he knew he was awesome.

Lord Lucien
Because he was poorly written.

deathslash
wasn't Sidious constantly feeding his ego by telling him how awesome he every time he succeeded and always reassuring him whenever he failed?

Q99
weren't there many powerful jedi in the galaxy? So that means 3/4 of the entire order is full of arrogant whiny bitches?

There were a number of powerful ones, but they tended to grow into power later and remember being weaker, or had time to temper their arrogance.

Anakin grew into power fast, unusually so. He was stronger than most of the Jedi Council before long.

Obi-Wan is an unusually powerful Jedi himself, and started out pretty arrogant, and Anakin was stronger than him despite being over a decade younger.

That too, yes. He helped Anakin not internalize his rare failures.

And also set him up to win a lot. He sent Anakin on many of his missions after all, with intent to help him grow arrogant and ambitious enough to chaff under the Jedi.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Q99
There were a number of powerful ones, but they tended to grow into power later and remember being weaker, or had time to temper their arrogance.

Anakin grew into power fast, unusually so. He was stronger than most of the Jedi Council before long.

This.

There's a bit in the Jurassic Park novel that describes it well. Basically it says that when one acquires power they usually have to go through a lengthy process which teaches them the disciple needed to not abuse it (of course this doesn't always work). A person who acquires power quickly doesn't learn discipline.

Originally posted by Q99
That too, yes. He helped Anakin not internalize his rare failures.

And also set him up to win a lot. He sent Anakin on many of his missions after all, with intent to help him grow arrogant and ambitious enough to chaff under the Jedi.

Again, this.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Because he was poorly written.

Hate to say it, but no, in this case he was actually quite well-written.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Hate to say it, but no, in this case he was actually quite well-written. Which case?

PTforthewin
Which case? oh my god, another old timer who only likes the OT and nothing of the PT

Q99
This.

There's a bit in the Jurassic Park novel that describes it well. Basically it says that when one acquires power they usually have to go through a lengthy process which teaches them the disciple needed to not abuse it (of course this doesn't always work). A person who acquires power quickly doesn't learn discipline.

I assume that's a slip on the novel name, but yes. Discipline has to be learned- a lot of Luke's students already had it due to their own backgrounds (Corran Horn was a cop, Katarn a soldier, etc.), but those who didn't often had the greatest problem. Kyp, Desann, and similar.

Notably, most of the NJO people who fell were fairly powerful and lacking in discipline.

Lord Lucien
oh my god, another old timer who only likes the OT and nothing of the PT I don't know how you deduced that from those two words of mine, but well done, you're spot on.

Darth Abonis
Because he had the best force potential and it was obvious to himself and everyone. Why are geniuses and professional athletes arrogant? Because they are the best in their fields.

chilled monkey
Which case?

The case that Anakin being full of himself made sense. He was incredibly powerful and he knew it, he never learned humility and Palpatine was always feeding his ego.

In that regard I honestly can't complain about how he was written.

PTforthewin
The case that Anakin being full of himself made sense. He was incredibly powerful and he knew it, he never learned humility and Palpatine was always feeding his ego.

In that regard I honestly can't complain about how he was written. I don't get how a whiny long haired emo kid would be the chosen one

Lord Lucien

In that regard I honestly can't complain about how he was written. That's the in-universe reason why he became arrogant. That he was ever written to be arrogant (a kind word really, a more accurate description is megalomaniacal, homicidal sociopath) is what draws my ire.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.