Constantine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardock42
New NBC series based somewhat on Hellblazer, though the influence of the movie is undeniable.

uPE2oBnzROY

I was very excited when I first heard about it, but after watching the trailer I am not so sure.

The look of Constantine is a lot better, but the focus on exorcism and general Christian mythology makes me a bit weary.

I'll wait and see, but I worry that they are squandering the opportunity to make an amazing TV show by not sticking closer to the source material.

the ninjak
Looks tacky in its directing. It also seems to be mimicking Dr Who.

It just seems to have no grit. Which is what I liked about Hellblazer.

I'm shocked that so many comments online are favourable. Well not really.

0mega Spawn
No keanuu reeves not watching mad
Say with me everybody

ares834
Looks surprisingly good.

Bardock42
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
No keanuu reeves not watching mad
Say with me everybody

lolno

Arachnid1
Looks great to me. Maybe it can fill the hole Supernatural left in my heart after season 3.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Looks great to me. Maybe it can fill the hole Supernatural left in my heart after season 3.

That's my initial annoyance, that this series will be considered a wannabe Supernatural.

The fact that it's still not set in England takes the grittiness away for me.

I'd like to see a crossover of Constantine meeting Torchwood or even The Misfits...

Kazenji
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

The fact that it's still not set in England takes the grittiness away for me.

Regardless of the fact that he has been to America travelling the country.

Esau Cairn
The fact that Ravenscar is shown kinda hints at early days in England.

Mindset
Looks great to me. Maybe it can fill the hole Supernatural left in my heart after season 3. What?

Seasons 4 and 5 were the best in the series.

Kazenji
The fact that Ravenscar is shown kinda hints at early days in England.

Still makes your last point moot with what i said.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Kazenji
Regardless of the fact that he has been to America travelling the country.

He has, and those were good arcs, but they were of an established character who is strongly defined by his Englishness. If it was set predominantly in the UK would show more desire to be faithful to the source material.

I'll be okay if it reaches the quality of Supernatural, but I was hoping for even more, and don't think that will be the case after watching this trailer.

Impediment
Looks a lot better than the Keanu movie.

I'm in.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Kazenji
Still makes your last point moot with what i said.

Gee, I wonder what the American cabbie's name will be?

Geeker
Originally posted by Bardock42
New NBC series based somewhat on Hellblazer, though the influence of the movie is undeniable.

uPE2oBnzROY

I was very excited when I first heard about it, but after watching the trailer I am not so sure.

The look of Constantine is a lot better, but the focus on exorcism and general Christian mythology makes me a bit weary.

I'll wait and see, but I worry that they are squandering the opportunity to make an amazing TV show by not sticking closer to the source material.

Better than I hoped!

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Mindset
What?

Seasons 4 and 5 were the best in the series. Eh, I hated the whole Angels and Demons dynamic. The monster of the week days was the golden era. Seeing them go up against urban legends like La Llorona, Hook Man, and the Wendigo was f*cking awesome, if lacking in an overall storyline.

Firefly218
Eh, I hated the whole Angels and Demons dynamic. The monster of the week days was the golden era. Seeing them go up against urban legends like La Llorona, Hook Man, and the Wendigo was f*cking awesome, if lacking in an overall storyline.

thumb up

And seasons 1-3 had the perfect brother dynamic. I stopped watching after season 8

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
Looks a lot better than the Keanu movie.

I'm in.

thumb up

Mindset
Eh, I hated the whole Angels and Demons dynamic. The monster of the week days was the golden era. Seeing them go up against urban legends like La Llorona, Hook Man, and the Wendigo was f*cking awesome, if lacking in an overall storyline. That sucks, since those were the best seasons.

Galan007
Gee, I wonder what the American cabbie's name will be? http://i.imgur.com/wfiGpZu.jpg

BlackZero30x
Pilot leaked. Just getting ready to watch it.

http://seriesonlinenovidades.blogspot.com.br/2014/06/constantine-1x01-pilot-legendado.html#.U7WVMvldWuI

Arachnid1
Yes! I'll check that out soon.

BlackZero30x
Yes! I'll check that out soon.

It was really good! This fall is shaping up to be awesome!

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
Pilot leaked. Just getting ready to watch it.

http://seriesonlinenovidades.blogspot.com.br/2014/06/constantine-1x01-pilot-legendado.html#.U7WVMvldWuI

although i am sure it is good. i will wait until it actually premieres

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
although i am sure it is good. i will wait until it actually premieres

I don't blame you. I know there are a lot of people that like to wait. I usually watch leaked shows though because if its good I give my support by tuning in on the night it airs. However, if its not good I don't tune in lol. I watched the First ep of Flash more then once already but im still excited to tune in Oct 7th lol.

Arachnid1
I just watched it. It was ****ing awesome.

Although, I couldn't help but get a sense of Supernatural deja-vu. It reminded me massively off the monster of the week format where the brothers would go find some random person in need and save them from some monster. It even pulls the Angels vs Demons card, with the Angels not being completely good either. To be fair though, all those are also constants in the Constantine comics. The Supernatural similarities isn't a bad thing either. That show left a massive hole in my heart after season 3, and this show fills it. I'm so excited for the fall!

Galan007
the pilot was good, but given liv's ability to foresee crime/evil before it happens, and her willingness to prevent it, i get the feeling we are in for a 'freak of the week' type of show. hopefully i'm wrong, though, and the producers focus moreso on plot/storytelling than exorcizing a demon in every episode /shrug. on another note, i was extremely pleased with matt ryan--he fits the role of constantine very well. thumb up

anyway, i liked the helm of doctor fate and first of the fallen easter eggs. thumb up

BlackZero30x
I like the "Monster of the week" idea but only for the filler episodes. I hope the show doesn't do it very often.

Mindset
Was pretty mediocre, not very entertaining.

-K-M-
I saw it and I liked it. Nice Easter eggs, but I will check it out for sure when it does go to air

Mindset
Originally posted by -K-M-
I saw it and I liked it. Nice Easter eggs, but I will check it out for sure when it does go to air Don't ever publicly disagree with me again.

-K-M-
and she is OUTTA HERE...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53983

BruceSkywalker
just a thought but since the pilot leaked and that lucy griffiths has left, i am wondering if now they reshoot the pilot

-K-M-
I could see that. As the pilot really centered around Lucy and her powers so that would change the entire dynamic of the show

Galan007
^ yeah, the existing pilot certainly set the stage for "liv" to be one of the main characters in the series(second only to constantine himself.) so if that's not the direction NBC execs want the show to travel, i could see them reshooting for sure--they certainly have enough time. /shrug

-K-M-
Unless they kill her off in the next episode

Mindset
and she is OUTTA HERE...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53983 This is great news.

She was the main reason I thought the ep was terrible.

-K-M-
She reminded me way to much of the girl in the movie with Keanu.

BruceSkywalker
new female lead...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/308105-angelica-celaya-becomes-the-new-female-lead-on-nbcs-constantine

BlackZero30x
Liked the Pilot! Im excited to see where it goes. One of the changes from the leaked pilot was soo great! Made it feel more personal imo.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
Liked the Pilot! Im excited to see where it goes. One of the changes from the leaked pilot was soo great! Made it feel more personal imo.

Was it different to the leaked version?

How many changes are there?

tkitna
I couldn't tell exactly, but did he say Phuck Off to that angel? I guess he couldn't have since it was on TV, but I played it back a couple times and that's what I heard.

KingD19
He said "Flutter Off".

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Was it different to the leaked version?

How many changes are there?

lol Yeah there were two that were pretty noticeable. The Roof top scene was different and the ending with him at the bar was different. I didn't really notice any other changes

BruceSkywalker
felt the pilot was okay.. i wanted just a little more .. liked matt ryan using his natural accent though.. good effects.. gonna miss lucy griffiths ...

jinXed by JaNx
I thought the pilot was incredible. I'm excited to see where this series goes. As much of a fan of Constantine that i am i was highly skeptical towards this pilot. However, i was pleasantly surprised. I like how they just jumped into the story and didn't waste any time explaining characters and history. It seems like the writers know the story they want to tell and aren't going to get bogged down in trying to convince non-fans of the source material to like these new characters. There are some characters and stories that require extensive time in their introduction but, constantine is one that i think can be established slowly through out episodes. Yeah, there were things to complain about in the pilot episode. Some of the characters seem poorly cast or written but i think there was far more good than bad and the casting of, Constantine seems spot on and will keep me following this show for the rest of the season.

Mindset
You thought that shit was incredible?

Did they change the pilot from when it leaked?

jinXed by JaNx
You thought that shit was incredible?

Did they change the pilot from when it leaked?

Never watched the leaked version but i doubt it changed. Perhaps, incredible, was the wrong term but yeah i was very pleased with the pilot episode. Most of the reason i like the show, thus far, comes from the casting and acting of, Constantine. I also liked how the show never stopped moving. The show comes from a source material that has a very deep back story. I can see how the fast paced presentation could seem disjointed but i think if the show ever lingers to long on exposition it will become monotonous.

I suppose the other reason that i enjoyed the, pilot is because of the network the show is on. If the show was being produced by another network like HBO or AMC i would have expected much more. Even though most of the effects were passable i think the budget and over production is lacking but as i said before i think they got the casting right in the way of Constantine himself and i think that is something the show can build on.

juggernaut74
Descent show. Doubt we'll get a 2nd season.

BruceSkywalker
second ep was fair... new girl is ugly...

juggernaut74
The time slot isn't very good plus too many supernatural thriller shows imo.

tkitna
I doubt this gets renewed. Probably one and done.

Mindset
Originally posted by tkitna
I doubt this gets renewed. Probably one and done. thumb up

It's not good.

marwash22
I'm enjoying it, but also hoping for more.

The Doctor's psychic paper was in the last episode.

-K-M-
I thought episode was really good, and cool to see Papa Midnite

Wei Phoenix
They are currently filming this at the hospital that I work at. All week.

Mindset
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
They are currently filming this at the hospital that I work at. All week. I'm sorry to hear you're going to be killed by a demon.

Wei Phoenix
I'm sorry to hear you're going to be killed by a demon.

Or you could fly to Georgia and kill them all. Do the Lord's work since you say you're about that life.

-K-M-
Another solid episode. More people should give this a chance

BruceSkywalker
Another solid episode. More people should give this a chance

its okay but i feel it could be better

-K-M-
Of course, I find it better then some of the other comic book shows though

Reflassshh
For a first season is pretty decent. If they move from the freak of the week formula it'll get better.

juggernaut74
Good episode tonight.

-K-M-
Good episode and nice Spectre teaser

juggernaut74
I missed it. What scene?

-K-M-
that New Orleans detective is named Jim corrigan, who was the host of the original spectre in the comics.

Also when zed saw his "death" if you look closely that green mist that surrounded him was flapping like the spectres cowl cape (green is also the color of his Cape in the comics).

Basically that is the spectre before he was murdered and recruited but seems their going to touch on that in the show

Quincy
Just read a report that NBC is holding off post original 13 episode order.

-K-M-
Last two episodes have been really good. The fallen angel looked awesome.

juggernaut74
Yeah this show is getting better. Just hope we get a second season.

tkitna
Its actually not bad. I liked the last few episodes.

-K-M-
Last episode was ok, Eve's sister looked cheesy but that monster at the end looked pretty sweet.

-K-M-
Faust has been cast

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58268

Digi
4 episodes in. It's...well...anyone else getting the Doctor Who parallels? Sub in made-up science for made-up magic, and a female companion for...well, a female companion. He's even got a male companion that can't die, psychic paper (the card), and a house that's bigger on the inside. Heck, Torchwood already ran an episode with a hand-like object that temporarily brings people back from the dead. Constantine ripped it with the candle-hand bit in an early episode.

DW is my favorite show on TV, so this isn't a complete damnation (pun intended). But it's hitting all of the tropes of the genre, not to mention tropes of TV series in general right now. And all without standing out in ways that leave me wanting more. I laughed at one point because Zed stopped pushing as she was just about to learn the heart of Newcastle, they pulled back just as I was saying "aaand that's it for this episode..." because they need to space it out over the season (or at least half-season). And other than a couple lines in the pilot, all of which were spoiled in the trailer, that's been my only actual laugh, and it was at the expense of the show. The predictability is boring. Here's hoping it changes, though it likely doesn't have long to change my mind before I'm done with it.

Matt Ryan is good, at least. The gravitas and line delivery he brings to the character are the only thing keeping the show afloat. Zed is about the most generic companion imaginable, so hopefully they do something better with her soon. The black guy playing the angel is good too. His interludes are always welcome.

dynamix
just saw on Rotten Tomatoes that this show is getting cancelled?

quanchi112
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/07/constantine-tv-series-officially-dead

Dead as a doornail.

Flyattractor
Compared to the other current Monster of the Week Shows. It was kind of weak and it wasn't doing anything the others weren't already doing and doing better.

KInda meh on this.

Mindset
It sucked.

Surtur
I enjoyed it and it is a shame it is gone. It was one of those shows that was clearly still getting its footing and I think had a lot of potential for the future.

When it comes to shows in the Friday Night Death Slot NBC could of done worse, but oh well.

Impediment
I recently binge watched the entire series on Blu-ray and while this wasn't a fantastic show, I think it was good enough to go on. What a shame that it was cancelled.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Impediment
I recently binge watched the entire series on Blu-ray and while this wasn't a fantastic show, I think it was good enough to go on. What a shame that it was cancelled.

Personally, I started losing interest about halfway through. Mainly because I thought NBC was the wrong platform for it. IMO, it should have been on something like Cinemax, Netflix or HBO, which would have allowed them to push it until it became edgy enough to be interesting.

TheVaultDweller
NBC/CW Constantine's story is being continued, but in an animated format.

https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/constantine-animated-series

Matt Ryan animated Constantine was apparently also really well-received in the recent Justice League Dark film, though it's a different version than the NBC/CW one, as far as I know, even though both are played by the same guy.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller

Matt Ryan animated Constantine was apparently also really well-received in the recent Justice League Dark film, though it's a different version than the NBC/CW one, as far as I know, even though both are played by the same guy.

Yeah, I liked him in the film. I actually liked him in the series as well, I just didn't like the series that much (for reasons explained above). But DC somehow has the ability to make really good animated movies - maybe because they stick closer to the comics.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Yeah, I liked him in the film. I actually liked him in the series as well, I just didn't like the series that much (for reasons explained above). But DC somehow has the ability to make really good animated movies - maybe because they stick closer to the comics.

My biggest issue with the show was actually his sidekicks, and the fact that John had to suffer PIS whenever the writers needed to give them something to do.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller

Matt Ryan animated Constantine was apparently also really well-received in the recent Justice League Dark film, though it's a different version than the NBC/CW one, as far as I know, even though both are played by the same guy. Yes! Keep it up Matt Ryan! If this continues, we'll have a full revival of the show. It was a crime for it to be cancelled in the first place.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.