International Space Station, Russian's next Conquest.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
Basically we have given up rights to this space station as we can't even get their on our own anymore and Russia has the only way for us to get too it.

Interesting blog I found doing some digging on this..

"It took a special brand of stupid to not continue our own space development beyond the Shuttle, and to retire the Shuttle (although it desperately needed it, given its age technologically) without developing anything to replace it.

It took an even more-special brand of stupid to put together a "consortium" to build an international space station with the belief that none of the parties would ever become hostile to one another, and therefore we never had to worry about the possibility of destruction of our investment.

Well, we were that stupid.

And now it appears we may well pay for it.

Russia has put ISS continuation beyond 2020 on the table as a possible price for our refusal to let them do whatever they want in Ukraine -- and, it can be safely presumed, anywhere else.

Never mind that we were also dumb enough to single-source their rocket engines for some of our satellite launches.

Yes, we were that dumb.

Thank the last several Presidents and Congresses -- they're all responsible for this."

by Karl Denninger

Tzeentch
Mission control for the ISS, meaning control of its oxygen and power, is located in Texas.

gg Russia.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Mission control for the ISS, meaning control of its oxygen and power, is located in Texas.

gg Russia.

Yea but we can't even get their on our own?

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Yea but we can't even get their on our own?

"There" not "their" is what you want to type, Time.

We can definitely get "their" (oxygen and power) if the controls are in Texas.

Reading this reminded me of an interesting interview Neil DeGrasse Tyson had a few years ago, though.

The most relevant portion follows the 2 minute mark for a minute or so, but the entire clip is closely related to what you're trying to describe:

(Nasa and the 1960s: Nothing Better Since)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1OuFrRavZ4
7 minutes 24 seconds

Lord Lucien
You condescending little c*nt.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
"There" not "their" is what you want to type, Time.

We can definitely get "their" (oxygen and power) if the controls are in Texas.

Reading this reminded me of an interesting interview Neil DeGrasse Tyson had a few years ago, though.

The most relevant portion follows the 2 minute mark for a minute or so, but the entire clip is closely related to what you're trying to describe:

(Nasa and the 1960s: Nothing Better Since)
7 minutes 24 seconds

If you want to correct me, I suggest you do it correctly.

Its "there" not "There"

And your post has nothing to do with OP.

Stupid ass.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Time Immemorial

If you want to correct me, I suggest you do it correctly.

Its "there" not "There"

And your post has nothing to do with OP.

1. If I typed the way you did above in the exact sentence I wrote, I'd have been violating the rule that says to always capitalize the first letter of a sentence.

---

2. My post has everything to do with your original post.

Neil deGrasse Tyson was explaining in that video that the very reason we even HAD a space program to begin with,
was because of America's "Cold War" with Russia (then known as the defining country of the Soviet Union).

Concentrate now on the 2 minute 16 second to the 3 minute 9 second mark of the clip I gave before
and pay attention to what Tyson actually says:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We were going into space because we were at war with the Soviet Union ...
war drives the flow of money like no other force of nature ...

it kinda helped that we were at war with the Soviet Union
it enabled Congress to write checks that they wouldn't otherwise have written ...

if exploration was just the natural thing that we did as Americans, we would have been on Mars by the early 1980s ...

it became clear in retrospect that without the military driver ...
that was never going to happen." -- Neil DeGrasse Tyson
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time Immemorial
Might wanna not be such a little grammer natzi if you want to be taken seriously? Why would I even bother to watch your youtube video when your most considered with "there"

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
1. If I typed the way you did above in the exact sentence I wrote, I'd have been violating the rule that says to always capitalize the first letter of a sentence.

---

2. My post has everything to do with your original post.

Neil deGrasse Tyson was explaining in that video that the very reason we even HAD a space program to begin with,
was because of America's "Cold War" with Russia (then known as the defining country of the Soviet Union).

Concentrate now on the 2 minute 16 second to the 3 minute 9 second mark of the clip I gave before
and pay attention to what Tyson actually says:

"We were going into space because we were at war with the Soviet Union ...
war drives the flow of money like no other force of nature ...

it kinda helped that we were at war with the Soviet Union
it enabled Congress to write checks that they wouldn't otherwise have written ...

if exploration was just the natural thing that we did as Americans, we would have been on Mars by the early 1980s ...

it became clear in retrospect that without the military driver ...
that was never going to happen." -- Neil DeGrasse Tyson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You condescending little c*nt.

Ushgarak
Geez, guys, cut it out with the bad language and keep it on topic.

Time Immemorial
I don't see the point of decommissioning all the shuttles then trying to continue the ISS space program with no way to reach it without Putin.

Lord Lucien
NASA's been working on some space gyrocopters. I just know it.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
NASA's been working on some space gyrocopters. I just know it.

laughing laughing laughing laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.