Obi Wan Kenobi (ROTS) VS Darth Maul (TCW)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PTforthewin
Who would win

King Joker
Obi-Wan.

Nephthys
Maul really should win. But I'm not sure he will.

carthage
Maul with difficulty

NewGuy01
Kenobi is maddeningly underrated. He wins with extreme difficulty.

Emperordmb
I'll give it to Kenobi by a margin.

NewGuy01
Hardly. The two of them are equals, I could even argue Maul is superior easily.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Hardly. The two of them are equals, I could even argue Maul is superior easily.
I meant by a slim margin. Perhaps I should've specified.

Fated Xtasy
Obi-wan hands down, but its in no way a 'stomp' by either of them. good fight by the by

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Obi-wan hands down, but its in no way a 'stomp' by either of them. good fight by the way

I don't even see how you could even concretely give either of them the win tbh, much less hands down. Ironically enough, though I voted Kenobi, Maul actually has the better feats of the two. Obi's performance against the brothers in Revival are really the basis of my decision.

Fated Xtasy
I don't even see how you could even concretely give either of them the win tbh, much less hands down. Ironically enough, though I voted Kenobi, Maul actually has the better feats of the two. Obi's performance against the brothers in Revival are really the basis of my decision.

Same here, though to be fair, he was kinda of struggling against Maul when Maul employed dun moch(a variation of it maybe?) against Kenobi during their duel(the one were Ventress helped Kenobi) so it might go both ways tbh

Lord Stark
Kenobi takes it, his Soresu allowed him parry even the raw power of a bloodlusted Anakin Skywalker on Mustafar. Anakin's emotional state may have affected his precision and finesse, but if anything it likely increased the power behind his blows. If Kenobi can last several minutes against Skywalker taking blow after blow, parry Grievous' 20 blows per second, I don't see Maul getting through his defense. Furthermore, although Maul traditionally defeats Kenobi in TK, in the most recent Clone Wars season he does deflect a TK from Dooku (albeit with Skywalker's help, still though its Darth ******** Tyranus here) and on Mustafar he does deflect Anakin's TK. Granted Anakin's focus was way off, I can't see Skywalker's TK power dipping down below his AOTCs self.

This is all subject to change given Maul's upcoming performance against Dooku in Sons of Dathomir.

DARTH POWER
I give Kenobi the edge in pure Sabers and Maul the slight edge in an all out. Either way it's going to be a very hard fight. I think both characters are underrated as combatants tbh.

ares834
Maul actually has the better feats of the two.

confused

No he doesn't. Kenobi defeating Anakin is easily a better feat than anything Maul has done.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Nephthys
Maul really should win. But I'm not sure he will. What?

red8
Kenobi should win this.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Tzeentch
What?

Maul is his superior with the Force and is his equal with a blade. He should have the edge, but he doesn't for some reason.

NewGuy01
Maul is his superior with the Force and is his equal with a blade. He should have the edge, but he doesn't for some reason.

thumb up

King Joker
Kenobi and Maul are roughly equal in TCW. Kenobi as of RotS will take this though.

Lord Stark

How exactly do you figure Maul is Kenobi's equal with a blade? Kenobi has always been depicted as having the slight edge in that area.

DARTH POWER

For the plot. Maul could give Dooku the fight off his life, but he still won't beat Kenobi.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
For the plot. Maul could give Dooku the fight off his life, but he still won't beat Kenobi.

Oh you mean like how Darth Vader did give Dooku the fight of his life (and killed him) then lost to Kenobi?

In all seriousness though Kenobi is downplayed a lot, mostly because the Count absolutely tools him whenever they meet.

Nephthys
Well and Maul has ragdolled him on 3 separate occasions. Plus there's Ventress knocking him out in under 10 seconds that one time.

Lord Stark
Well and Maul has ragdolled him on 3 separate occasions. Plus there's Ventress knocking him out in under 10 seconds that one time.

I don't really consider the business in the 2v1 a ragdolling, but yes Kenobi has the most duels in the mythos its no surprise he has a ton of low end showings. He also killed Grievous, bifurcated Maul, mutilated Vader, matched his TK, ect.

Also although its n-canon, Infinities makes it pretty clear that if Kenobi crossed swords with Ventress he'd win by a decent margin.

carthage
Kenobi is very comparable as a duelist to Maul, maybe less skilled but in a pure lighsaber fight it'd be interesting to see who won. All out Kenobi has terrible force defenses and that's a crippling blow Maul, Opress, Dooku, and Ventress have all exploited in dealing with him.

Maul takes this with difficulty

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Lord Stark
Oh you mean like how Darth Vader did give Dooku the fight of his life (and killed him) then lost to Kenobi?

I think Maul probably is a match for Non-Zone Anakin tbh. And I agree Kenobi is downplayed a lot. But so is Maul.

Lord Stark
I think Maul probably is a match for Non-Zone Anakin tbh. And I agree Kenobi is downplayed a lot. But so is Maul.

I would disagree. Even Non-Zone Anakin consistently gives Dooku a good amount of trouble.

Nephthys
So would Maul.

At least, I'm sure he will.

Emperordmb
Here's my angle. Obi-wan is superior as a duelist but Maul is superior with the force. Given that Maul doesn't use the force that frequently in a fight and that none of what he has shown against Kenobi with the force is too lethal, given Kenobi's physical toughness he could probably endure it and outduel Maul. That's why I give Kenobi a slight edge in an all-out fight.

Lord Stark
So would Maul.

At least, I'm sure he will.

With Talzin's help.

Nephthys
As I said, Maul could give Anakin a tough fight by himself.

Lord Stark
As I said, Maul could give Anakin a tough fight by himself.

Agreed, but I think he'd lose a vast majority of the time.

Nephthys
Just like Anakin.

Lord Stark
Just like Anakin.

He'd win less fights than golden boy though.

Tzeentch
Maul is his superior with the Force and is his equal with a blade. He should have the edge, but he doesn't for some reason. What does that mean? They're fictional characters, Neph. If one guy is the better fighter he's going to win. I don't really understand what you're saying when you say Maul is a better duelist and a better fighter but he'd still lose.

Nephthys
It means that I don't think Mauls superior force power will be enough to put Kenobi down and that he's no better in lightsabers. Maul looks better on paper, but Kenobi embarrassed him and his brother after they killed Galia. Perhaps it just comes down to Kenobi's simply possessing the specific capabilities to match Mauls Juyo with his Soresu.

Tzeentch
Okay, I see what you're saying.

I think a lot of people look better than Obi-Wan on paper, but it's for the reasons outlined earlier. Obi-Wan is pretty much the workhorse of the Order, he's fought more than almost anyone else, and as a result has a string of low-showings.

But then his high-showings are also better than most. So his skill relative to other fighters can be hard to gauge.

DARTH POWER
Yeah but Kenobi's prowess does seem very plot related tbh. In TCW Kenobi never really had any great showings, but then Maul comes back as a bit of a powerhouse, and Kenobi is suddenly his equal/superior.

Same again Skywalker. On paper he shouldn't have stood a chance against the guy who defeated Dooku. But again when it came down to it he wound up being Skywalker's equal/superior.

Again unusual but convenient for the plot.

Jinsoku Takai
Perhaps that is simply Kenobi's gift and the manner in which the Force works through him - thus this is who he is as a combatant. When the chips are on the table, Kenobi rises to the occasion.

Speaking of chips...

Lord Stark
Spoiler confirmed Dooku's lightning affects Maul.
http://i.imgur.com/yS7265k.jpg

NewGuy01
People really do seem to underestimate Obi-Wan's performance against the good Count in Revenge of the Sith.

'He leaned into a thrust at Kenobi's gut that the Jedi Master deflected with a rising parry, bringing them chest-to-chest, blades flaring, locked together a handbreadth from each other's throats. "Your moves are too slow, Kenobi. Too predictable. You'll have to do better."

Kenobi's response to this friendly word was to regard him with a twinkle of gentle amusement in his eye.

"Very well, then," the Jedi said, and shot straight upward over Dooku's head so fast it seemed he'd vanished.

And in the space where Kenobi's chest had been was now only the blue lightning of Skywalker's blade driving straight for Dooku's heart.'

-Revenge of the Sith

'But by the time his boots touched down Kenobi was there to meet him, blade weaving through a defensive velocity so bewilderingly fast that Dooku dared not even try a strike; he threw a feint toward Kenobi's face, then dropped and spun in a reverse ankle-sweep-But not only did Kenobi easily overleap this attack, Dooku nearly lost his own foot to a slash from Skywalker who had again come out of nowhere and now carved through the table so that it collapsed under Dooku's weight and dumped the Sith Lord to the floor.

This was not in the plan.'

-Revenge of the Sith

'
he knew every weakness of the Ataro form, with its ridiculous acrobatics. He drove a series of flashing thrusts toward Kenobi's legs to draw the Jedi Master into a flipping overhead leap so that Dooku could burn through his spine from kidneys to shoulder blades-and this image, this plan, was so clear in Dooku's mind that he almost failed to notice that Kenobi met every one of his thrusts without so much as moving his feet, staying perfectly centered, perfectly balanced, blade never moving a millimeter more than was necessary, deflecting without effort, riposting with flickering strikes and stabs swifter than the tongue of a Garollian ghost viper'

-Revenge of the Sith

Nephthys
Probably because in the movie, none of that happens and Dooku beats him in 10 seconds.

carthage
^ thumb up

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Lord Stark
Spoiler confirmed Dooku's lightning affects Maul.
http://i.imgur.com/yS7265k.jpg

Yeah but he's tied up. Of course that's going to hurt him.

DARTH POWER
Probably because in the movie, none of that happens and Dooku beats him in 10 seconds.

Yeah plus final season of TCW showed even without TK involved Kenobi is clearly no match for Dooku.

Emperordmb
Yeah but he's tied up. Of course that's going to hurt him.
Yeah when you're restrained, there's really not much you can do.

WildBantha88
Kenobi for sure, this really shouldn't even be in question. He was able to defend against both maul and savage at the same time in tcw. Giving him at his prime there is no doubt he can defeat Maul

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Yeah when you're restrained, there's really not much you can do.

Lol some people claimed he'd just lol tank it like against the nightsister.

NewGuy01

10 seconds of Kenobi kicking ass. stick out tongue

FreshestSlice
Duels are crazy that way in ROTS, though. Dooku incapacitates both with seemingly no effort, Anakin solos Dooku in no time, but then Anakin and Obi-Wan drag out a duel flying all over the place and surfing lava droids.

DarthAnt66
Welcome.

Query: Do you like the meatbag Revan?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by WildBantha88
Kenobi for sure, this really shouldn't even be in question. He was able to defend against both maul and savage at the same time in tcw.

So what? Ventress has defended against Anakin and Obi-Wan at the same time several times. So I guess she stomps either one without question right?

And let's stop this ROTS Kenobi >>> TCW Kenobi nonesense. He's not. Especially when we're looking at the last two of seasons of TCW. There won't be much difference if any.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.