Opinions on "real life superheroes"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Megatom
I thought I'd try this kind of subject again, though I'm talking about something different. The "real life superheroes" who are commonly given the title are really not deserving of it in my opinion, since they are really just people with no powers technologically or biologically, who dress up in costumes and fight crime. Some particular examples of these people are Phoenix Jones and mr. Extreme. It seems they may contribute some small amount of help to society, but ultimately the only heroic accomplishment of these people may be helping stop a few robbers and maybe saving one person's life after a lot of non-productivity. The only things that stops any normal person from doing this just as easily is maybe being able to purchase a slightly useful gadget like pepper spray/a laser pointer, having a bullet proof costume or perhaps being a black belt in karate. Some of these people have none of these. Personally I think this disrespects a character like Batman because at least Batman can compete with dangerous foes and really save people, whereas lame things can happen to these people, like screwing with a criminal who is actually serious and getting your nose broken. So yeah, I think they're wasting their time; there are better ways to be super heroes or just heroes, like joining the millitary and taking part in a real soldier enhancement program, becoming a scientist and building some kind of suit for yourself, or just being a cop in your neighborhood. Any opinions on this are very welcome.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Megatom
Personally I think this disrespects a character like Batman

I....what?

Mindship
It seems they may contribute some small amount of help to society, but ultimately the only heroic accomplishment of these people may be helping stop a few robbers and maybe saving one person's life after a lot of non-productivity. If the life they save is yours or a loved one's, wasn't all that non-productivity worth it?

In their own small way, they want to make the world a better place. It's at least as effective as tweeting about something.

Megatom
I guess you're right, I just think there are much better ways of being super heroes (or just heroes without powers). Like me personally I'd at least wait till I can build myself a suit, like some titainium plates with super capacitors dumping out heat in some liquid nitrogen powering pistons which drives springs attached to electrified carbon nanotubes for a little extra strength. Like that design is simple (and yeah a little vague) but you see what I'm getting at here. Please don't judge; I'm a junkie for this stuff because I want to do something like that someday when I have enough money and time. Can't tell if what I'm saying belongs here or on a science forum.

Lestov16
You're going to be senile by time you have amassed the money to obtain the necessary resources for your Iron Man Jr. suit.

siriuswriter
Umm... superheroes don't exist. "Real life superheroes" are real heroes because their humanity allows them to do something extraordinary. There were human heroes before fictional superheroes. There will be human heroes far after fictional superheroes become passe.

I don't understand your "I'll wait until I have enough time and money before I become a hero." Part of being a hero is that you do it despite your circumstances.

Stealth Moose
Hoboman has the most untainted karma among superheroes.

Megatom
Originally posted by Lestov16
You're going to be senile by time you have amassed the money to obtain the necessary resources for your Iron Man Jr. suit. I beg to differ. Many people throughout history have been told they couldn't accomplish something and they had to not listen to that and try to succeed despite difficult odds. Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. That's my motto.

Lord Lucien
You're going to be preparing and hoping until the day you die.

Megatom
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You're going to be preparing and hoping until the day you die. Why all the the negativity? I know I shouldn't be going on about myself, but why all the discouragement? I have a normal life right now, and there's nothing wrong with hoping for something more. Sorry, I just don't like people who say stuff like that for no good reason. You know, at least the "real life superheroes" try to do something different; that's one thing I like about them.

Eminence
This is gibberish, my friend. Save yourself some trouble and outsource expertise, I'm sure Elon Musk would be interested.

Lord Lucien
Why all the the negativity? I know I shouldn't be going on about myself, but why all the discouragement? I have a normal life right now, and there's nothing wrong with hoping for something more. Sorry, I just don't like people who say stuff like that for no good reason. You know, at least the "real life superheroes" try to do something different; that's one thing I like about them. You want to be a titanium-armored, liquid-nitrogen-powered, carbon nanotube-infused "real life superhero".. and you don't get "the negativity"?

And you think that once this easily accessible, easy-to-build supersuit becomes available to you, it will become available to no other wack vigilante black-painted spud with no skill? No other military? No other bored billionaire who actually has the funds and power necessary to operate as a superhero? Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark's superpower isn't their outfits or fighting moves, it's their gargantuan piles of cash.

You want to be like Milwaukee's Watchman, go nuts. You want to be a real life Batman, you need more than "a supersuit". Unless you're already in possession of a vast financial empire, a vast information network, and technology that doesn't exist yet, then yeah... keep hoping. Wishing it was so and really believing in yourself doesn't do shit outside of feel-good fiction. As a wannabe superhero you need to be smart.. so you're at least smart enough to spot your own pathetic, wish-fulfilling delusions, aren't you?

Newjak
I feel I strongly disagree with the notions presented in this thread.

Real life superheroes are like most people various. Some are actually trying to help others are simply trying to get famous.

But the idea they could disrespect a fictional character like Batman is kind of lame. The main reasons Batman can make such a huge difference is because he exists in such a comic book world and because he has a large fortune.

I also think the idea that you need to wait until you gain some kind of super suit seems kind of off. I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool but if you really want to help people you don't need to wait for a super suit.

Just become a police officer or fireman or some other civil servant you feel helps people and saves lives.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Hoboman has the most untainted karma among superheroes.

Hobo with a Shotgun?

Robtard
I thought I'd try this kind of subject again, though I'm talking about something different. The "real life superheroes" who are commonly given the title are really not deserving of it in my opinion, since they are really just people with no powers technologically or biologically, who dress up in costumes and fight crime. Some particular examples of these people are Phoenix Jones and mr. Extreme. It seems they may contribute some small amount of help to society, but ultimately the only heroic accomplishment of these people may be helping stop a few robbers and maybe saving one person's life after a lot of non-productivity. The only things that stops any normal person from doing this just as easily is maybe being able to purchase a slightly useful gadget like pepper spray/a laser pointer, having a bullet proof costume or perhaps being a black belt in karate. Some of these people have none of these. Personally I think this disrespects a character like Batman because at least Batman can compete with dangerous foes and really save people, whereas lame things can happen to these people, like screwing with a criminal who is actually serious and getting your nose broken. So yeah, I think they're wasting their time; there are better ways to be super heroes or just heroes, like joining the millitary and taking part in a real soldier enhancement program, becoming a scientist and building some kind of suit for yourself, or just being a cop in your neighborhood. Any opinions on this are very welcome.

As a real life superhero, I resent this post. I've saved countless lives, fought against truly dangerous villains and stopped trillions of dollars worth of damage happening to my city.

Wonder Man
There's a million reasons for it. Maybe it will take off as the next wave.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by dadudemon
Hobo with a Shotgun?

Yes. Rutger Hauer is godly.

Originally posted by Robtard
As a real life superhero, I resent this post. I've saved countless lives, fought against truly dangerous villains and stopped trillions of dollars worth of damage happening to my city.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/H_66rJ_061s/hqdefault.jpg

We appreciate all you try to do.

Yamcha
I mean idk anyone doing anything to help the community is a plus, Phoenix Jones has been shot an shit and still continues doing this stuff ._.

MycjES1PFWE

But..he also has MMA training (Which shows in the video on Youtube where he fights some dude in an Orange shirt and knocks him out)...there was some Superhero in the UK named "Knight Warrior" who tried to stop pub riots and some dudes noticed him in his civilian clothes and beat him up so he quit...his heart was in the right place but he had no training whatsoever >.>.

THERE'S EVEN A SUPERHERO IN AUSTRAILA NAMED "Wheel Clamp Man" WHO GOES AROUND CUTTING WHEEL CLAMPS OFF PEOPLE'S CARS, so they don't have to pay the fine xD.

Stealth Moose
I had the sound off as I'm at work, but I approve of her outfit.

Megatom
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
You want to be a titanium-armored, liquid-nitrogen-powered, carbon nanotube-infused "real life superhero".. and you don't get "the negativity"?

And you think that once this easily accessible, easy-to-build supersuit becomes available to you, it will become available to no other wack vigilante black-painted spud with no skill? No other military? No other bored billionaire who actually has the funds and power necessary to operate as a superhero? Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark's superpower isn't their outfits or fighting moves, it's their gargantuan piles of cash.

You want to be like Milwaukee's Watchman, go nuts. You want to be a real life Batman, you need more than "a supersuit". Unless you're already in possession of a vast financial empire, a vast information network, and technology that doesn't exist yet, then yeah... keep hoping. Wishing it was so and really believing in yourself doesn't do shit outside of feel-good fiction. As a wannabe superhero you need to be smart.. so you're at least smart enough to spot your own pathetic, wish-fulfilling delusions, aren't you? Cany deny all that stuff man. As of now I'm far from a billionaire and far from this fantasy. So yeah, I'm going to shut my mouth for now and open it later, when I'm not just some dude on the Internet with scatterbrained ideas. Well I guess I can't counter that so I just screwed myself. embarrasment

Robtard
Originally posted by Yamcha

THERE'S EVEN A SUPERHERO IN AUSTRAILA NAMED "Wheel Clamp Man" WHO GOES AROUND CUTTING WHEEL CLAMPS OFF PEOPLE'S CARS, so they don't have to pay the fine xD.

IIRC, he copied the UK's "Angle Grinder Man" who does the same thing. A true UK hero.

NemeBro
As a real life superhero, I resent this post. I've saved countless lives, fought against truly dangerous villains and stopped trillions of dollars worth of damage happening to my city. Huh, you beat me to it. I feel so... Discontent.

I should become your archnemesis.

Robtard
Originally posted by NemeBro
Huh, you beat me to it. I feel so... Discontent.

I should become your archnemesis.

Naturally.

"The Ultra Sodomite", that shall be your arch villainous name.

Stealth Moose
Because Thundercock and Voldepussy are taken, I assume.

Robtard
They're just not very Archy sounding, imo.

Stealth Moose
Rectus Stretchus might work. Or Backalley Rustler.

Robtard
Both sound like pro wrestler names, especially the later. But I do like that you're keeping the ass theme for Neme.

NemeBro
Naturally.

"The Ultra Sodomite", that shall be your arch villainous name. I suppose that is the thematic choice, what with your name being "The Power Bottom".

Robtard
Touche'

Megatom
If I ever can be a super hero, my superhero name will be the same as what I used for a username, Megatom. For now, think of me as Maybe Man, or Consideration Man. Hey, why not.

Robtard
How about "Confuser".

Wolverine
I think it would epic and we could be mentally safe.

Megatom
Originally posted by Wolverine
I think it would epic and we could be mentally safe. Why thank you Wolverine. Wait, what are you referring to as epic?

ArtificialGlory
Cany deny all that stuff man. As of now I'm far from a billionaire and far from this fantasy. So yeah, I'm going to shut my mouth for now and open it later, when I'm not just some dude on the Internet with scatterbrained ideas. Well I guess I can't counter that so I just screwed myself. embarrasment

Come on, you're not going to let yourself be discouraged by Lord Lucian, are you? He's just bitter and resentful because his own attempt at being a superhero ended with a bunch of innocent people being stung to death by his jacked up bees and him getting the shit kicked out of him by pissed off cops and left to rot by some highway.

Lord Lucien
First of all, their deaths were a huge success. Second, it was a railway track. You need to learn your folklore more betterer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.