Godzilla vs King Kong

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
Which film do you think was better, Peter Jackson's King Kong, or Gareth Edwards's Godzilla?

Plot
Characters
Visuals
Suspense
Pacing
You can add other factors

quanchi112
Godzilla was far more entertaining than the snooze fest that is King Kong.

Mindship
Imo, a problem with both movies was that they were too damn long. I was able to watch the originals both within a few hours of their respective remakes, and I very much enjoyed their tighter, leaner pace. Jackson's Kong also had too much action in the T-rex fights. It felt like a ride; it was more exhausting than entertaining, whereas the original Kong got it right: slower pace, easier to follow, and from a single, not-flying-all-over-the-place POV. More like if I was there as an actual witness. That said:
Originally posted by Lestov16
Which film do you think was better, Peter Jackson's King Kong, or Gareth Edwards's Godzilla?

Plot
Characters
Visuals
Suspense
Pacing
You can add other factors Overall...not sure which movie I liked better. Monster-wise, I like Godzilla more than Kong, but Kong had better developed characters, including Kong himself. Godzilla was better paced, though, and had better visuals (hard to beat massive city destruction), ie, it was more spectacular.

I suppose, if I had the time to watch only one movie, I would choose Godzilla over Kong, original or remake. You can imagine my disappointment then, when in the actual film, KK vs G, it was KK we saw swimming away.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Mindship
Imo, a problem with both movies was that they were too damn long. .

THIS!!!!!!

No Giant Monster/Robot/Whatever Movie needs to be over 90 minutes.

Nuff said.

God Cloth Seiya
There was a film called "Godzilla vs King Kong." Just thought I throw that out there.

Zack Fair
I loved the Kong vs T-Rexes throwdown, but the movie was just too damn long.

Bentley
I prefer Godzilla, but both remakes do very good at retelling the original stories. I do think Jackson overstayed his welcome with such a big length, but the movie had it's moments.

Robtard
Originally posted by Lestov16

Plot
Characters
Visuals
Suspense
Pacing
You can add other factors

Kong. Better story, acting and action.

ares834
Godzilla by far.

King Kong was bloated. The beginning stretched on and on and the action scenes were far too excessive and indulgent (the same problem with the Hobbit films).

Esau Cairn
This is a new!
People complaining about...TOO MUCH ACTION?

quanchi112
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
This is a new!
People complaining about...TOO MUCH ACTION? Have you not seen the Man of Steel ?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by quanchi112
Have you not seen the Man of Steel ?

Have you not read the title of this thread?

quanchi112
Have you not read the title of this thread? Yes. Can you not follow along in a conversation ?

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Mindship
Jackson's Kong also had too much action in the T-rex fights. It felt like a ride; it was more exhausting than entertaining, whereas the original Kong got it right: slower pace, easier to follow, and from a single, not-flying-all-over-the-place POV. More like if I was there as an actual witness. That said:
Overall...not sure which movie I liked better. Monster-wise, I like Godzilla more than Kong, but Kong had better developed characters, including Kong himself. Godzilla was better paced, though, and had better visuals (hard to beat massive city destruction), ie, it was more spectacular.

The point a lot of people are missing is that the original Godzilla & King Kong were guys wearing BULKY rubber suits destroying small scale model buildings...thus the slower pace.

It seemed a little ridiculous designing the MUTOS to look agile like the Arachnids in Starship Troopers but then pay homage to "guys in rubber suits" when it came to the slow speed they moved.
Same with Godzilla...he moved like he was perpetually in slow motion. At least '98 Godzilla matched his speed & movements to his size.

Kong on the other hand had more human traits & the audience could relate to what he was feeling...pain, anger, longing, loneliness...I didn't feel that the fight scenes were drawn out, they were long enough to witness Kong going from too cocky, to the under-dog to finally defeating the T-Rexes. It was a believable struggle IMO.

Darth Martin
Both were really good. Kong might be better but it's been awhile since I've seen it. Heavily slept on film.

Bentley
The point a lot of people are missing is that the original Godzilla & King Kong were guys wearing BULKY rubber suits destroying small scale model buildings...thus the slower pace.

I get you've never watched the original King Kong?

laawindy1
I always fan of godzilla. I am going to watch godzilla 2 in the theatre this saturday. it will be more fun.

Mindship
The point a lot of people are missing is that the original Godzilla & King Kong were guys wearing BULKY rubber suits destroying small scale model buildings...thus the slower pace.The original Kong was stop-action animation. And the original Godzilla (ie, the action scenes) were filmed at high speed, so that played back, he deliberately looked massive and lumbering.

I love CGI. But sometimes it's overused.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Bentley
I get you've never watched the original King Kong?

I was referring to the '76 version with Jessica Lange.

Not the original black & white.

Bentley
I was referring to the '76 version with Jessica Lange.

Not the original black & white.

Well, it was a bit confusing because of how you used the word original, but that version is often overlooked when discussing Kong, so I appreciate the reference. As Mindship said, the slow speed on Godzilla's moves was deliberate so he looked massive so you could say it's just as true for the monsters in Godzilla 2014.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.