Why Man of Steel Superman Does not Top Reeve’s version

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kotor3

-Pr-
I was familiar with him. I liked him. shrug

marwash22
the point of this thread, what is it?

Seems like you made an entire thread to voice your personal opinion which could have been done in the actual MoS thread.

Time Immemorial
Stupid thread, when 3 others exist.

Lestov16

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Lestov16
The Reeves era films were good for their time (about 3 decades ago), but they admittedly do not hold up with contemporary superhero films. They're kind of cheesy TBH.

Besides the one scene with the trucker, I think they got Superman's persona pretty down pat in this. I liked and familiarized with him. He was clearly an altruistic hero.

Also, the ultimate version of Superman to me is the DCAU version. Everything else is just a variant.

But yeah, I'd much rather watch MOS than one of the Reeves films.

Agreed, I have every movie of Superman, and yet I find myself wanting to watch MoS more then the other ones when its time to see a Superman flick.

Lestov16
Well of course. Unlike Total Recall or Robocop, Superman was a film that actually needed rebooting. And they did an awesome job IMO. quite honestly, the more I think about, the more I think MOS might be my favorite superhero film (Watchmen, 300, Sin City are my favorite comic book films, but they're not the same). The comparatively weak alien invasion of the Avengers doesn't hold a candle to the Kryptonian invasion.

quanchi112
Man of Steel was a film of very little substance. The action was repetitive and flat. The characters and the plot were lackluster as well. All in all a major disappointment.

Firefly218
Originally posted by quanchi112
Man of Steel was a film of very little substance. The action was repetitive and flat. The characters and the plot were lackluster as well. All in all a major disappointment.

Disappointment? For you it was probably a celebration how crappy it was

quanchi112
Originally posted by Firefly218
Disappointment? For you it was probably a celebration how crappy it was I liked the Batman films. I do not wish dc to fail they just tend to screw things up. Man of steel being a perfect example of how to do so IMO.

Kotor3

Kotor3

COG Veteran
I was crushed by the time I left the theater. Was a disappointing film.

Dramatic Gecko
5 Reasons MOS sucked balls:

1. He probably killed hundreds of people with all the buildings he flew through.
2. He wasn't overly concerned with saving lives as much as fighting the bad guys.
3. I don't think there was a single still shot in the whole film, Zach Snyder was trying to be visionary with his flashbacks and breaking his camera crew's wrists, but it just came off like he was trying way too hard to be different.
4. Lois Lane knows Clark is Superman... like wtf... There is like... I don't even...
5. Too much focus on violence and fight scenes. The opening scene on Krypton ****ed around for way too long. Because ol Zach wanted to stretch the battle scenes and milk it for everything it was worth.

Conclusion: Zach Snyder Ruined Superman and now he wants ruin Batman with Superman VS Batman.

Time Immemorial
1. This isn't your mommas superman.
2. This isn't your mommas superman.
3. Still shots, what are we in the 60's There was plenty of flashbacks.
4. Finally a change. By your logic everything needs to be the exact same as the last 5 films we have seen...
5. You really sounds like pansy at this point...

Conclusion, quit smoking weed hippy.

Dramatic Gecko
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
1. This isn't your mommas superman.
2. This isn't your mommas superman.
3. Still shots, what are we in the 60's There was plenty of flashbacks.
4. Finally a change. By your logic everything needs to be the exact same as the last 5 films we have seen...
5. You really sounds like pansy at this point...

Conclusion, quit smoking weed hippy.

And you obviously swallow everything Hollywood serves you.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Kotor3
Yes, Man of Steel has the special effects but that is about it. This one sentence sums up the movie perfectly.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
5 Reasons MOS sucked balls:

1. He probably killed hundreds of people with all the buildings he flew through.
2. He wasn't overly concerned with saving lives as much as fighting the bad guys.
3. I don't think there was a single still shot in the whole film, Zach Snyder was trying to be visionary with his flashbacks and breaking his camera crew's wrists, but it just came off like he was trying way too hard to be different.
4. Lois Lane knows Clark is Superman... like wtf... There is like... I don't even...
5. Too much focus on violence and fight scenes. The opening scene on Krypton ****ed around for way too long. Because ol Zach wanted to stretch the battle scenes and milk it for everything it was worth.

Conclusion: Zach Snyder Ruined Superman and now he wants ruin Batman with Superman VS Batman.

1. He was fighting Zod.
2. Yes he was, he just had to deal with Zod.
3. By using techniques other directors have used for years?
4. Why shouldn't she?
5. Superman's first world saving always has to be big. Always. It establishes how important he is to Earth.

Time Immemorial
And you obviously swallow everything Hollywood serves you.

Nah you just want Superman movies to be the same boring crap hollywood has served us for the last 5 movies. Sorry this isn't the 60's anymore. Time moves forward.

Dramatic Gecko
Nah you just want Superman movies to be the same boring crap hollywood has served us for the last 5 movies. Sorry this isn't the 60's anymore. Time moves forward.

Indeed. The time has come for a high budget Superman Film with killer special effects, a cunning antagonist, camera angles that don't make it look like it was filmed by someone with parkinson's and a Superman with the power to divert the effects of nuclear impact. We also deserve the quirky awkwardness of Clark Kent the journalist. Where the hell was that in MOS, god forbid Zach Snyder should have an entertaining scene that didn't involve someone dying to save a dog.

Time Immemorial
Indeed. The time has come for a high budget Superman Film with killer special effects, a cunning antagonist, camera angles that don't make it look like it was filmed by someone with parkinson's and a Superman with the power to divert the effects of nuclear impact. We also deserve the quirky awkwardness of Clark Kent the journalist. Where the hell was that in MOS, god forbid Zach Snyder should have an entertaining scene that didn't involve someone dying to save a dog.

Too bad none of that describes the movie unless you are watching the movie high. laughing out loud

Cmon man be reasonable. When did we get to see a relationship between Jor El or Jonathan and Clark before now?

Dramatic Gecko
Too bad none of that describes the movie unless you are watching the movie high. laughing out loud

Cmon man be reasonable. When did we get to see a relationship between Jor El or Jonathan and Clark before now?

The Reeve ones had that... Not as focussed I'll admit. I guess Smallville but that isn't technically a superman movie.

But who can deny this guys awesomeness:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35400000/Christopher-Reeve-Superman-A-classic-photo-recently-restored-superman-the-movie-35485219-1020-1232.jpg

He was just the man. The Superman. And the old Lois was such a strong character. Amy Adams did not do it for me. The new Superman the actor... I actually liked him, he had the look and the aura of a superman, he was only burdened with a crap director... who lost all my respect when he made Sucker Punch. He only loves special effects.

Firefly218
Couldn't agree more

Time Immemorial
The Reeve ones had that... Not as focussed I'll admit. I guess Smallville but that isn't technically a superman movie.

But who can deny this guys awesomeness:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35400000/Christopher-Reeve-Superman-A-classic-photo-recently-restored-superman-the-movie-35485219-1020-1232.jpg

He was just the man. The Superman. And the old Lois was such a strong character. Amy Adams did not do it for me. The new Superman the actor... I actually liked him, he had the look and the aura of a superman, he was only burdened with a crap director... who lost all my respect when he made Sucker Punch. He only loves special effects.

Amy Adams was at least smart, the other Lois was just a ditz..She didn't even do her actual job. She ran around getting in trouble while not accomplishing anything. This Lois least had a mission. And helped Clark out a lot when he needed it.

None of the previous superman movies had any relationship between Jor El and Kal, or Jon and Kal. There was literally none..

Avengers had less story and many gaps in it with just as much action and people loved it.

Lestov16

Time Immemorial
Well said.

Yes apparently they want to watch superman lift islands and stop falling airplanes because of disasters Lex causes in every movie. What a joke.

"Hey guys how many islands did superman lift this time!!!????? Let me know now, so I can whip it out and jack off too."

Lestov16
Because that's the most exciting part of any superhero story. Why even have supervillains? We can just have Clark save cats from trees all day. That's a great movie right?

Time Immemorial
Because that's the most exciting part of any superhero story. Why even have supervillains? We can just have Clark save cats from trees all day. That's a great movie right?

Yea he should never meet his fathers on screen. He should never fight anyone, he should fly around and lift islands and save the animals and stop petty robberies. I guess the fire/police department is out of a job.

I like the part where he talks about "Superman with the power to divert the effects of nuclear impact"<-Cause that happened...dead give away right there he never even saw the movie. Dude is a fool.

Lestov16
Who the hell goes into a Superman film thinking "If there aren't any nukes in this film, it'll be the worst Superman ever!"?

See Godzilla if you want nukes.

Time Immemorial
Who the hell goes into a Superman film thinking "If there aren't any nukes in this film, it'll be the worst Superman ever!"?

See Godzilla if you want nukes.

laughing out loud

Yea going from his movie critiques he would have liked that lousy movie actually more then this. Filled with zero action and shit storyline.

Lestov16
Actually I disagree with you there. I loved Godzilla. But we'll save that discussion for that thread. But yeah the criticisms for MOS are rather biased and subjective based on past expectations. No one wants something new.

Time Immemorial
Actually I disagree with you there. I loved Godzilla. But we'll save that discussion for that thread. But yeah the criticisms for MOS are rather biased and subjective based on past expectations. No one wants something new.

Audiences love alien/monster invasion movies like Godzilla/Pacific Rim/Avengers/ID4..

Its ok when those movies want to do it, but by God..Superman is stuck to islands and cats for a lifetime or the movie is an epic failure on all accounts!

Time Immemorial
People screamed when Returns came out saying they were sick of the same old crap, guess what, they changed it, then everyone screaming and wanting the old ways again. facepalm.

Lestov16
Kal is a monster if he saves Earth from an alien invasion. How dare he try to fight the aliens who share his powers. Supes can only save people from falling and that's it. I mean it's not like people were complaining Superman Returns was boring because he didn't fight anyone.

I swear these MOS haters are hypocrites of the highest degree.

NemeBro
Well of course. Unlike Total Recall or Robocop, Superman was a film that actually needed rebooting. And they did an awesome job IMO. quite honestly, the more I think about, the more I think MOS might be my favorite superhero film (Watchmen, 300, Sin City are my favorite comic book films, but they're not the same). The comparatively weak alien invasion of the Avengers doesn't hold a candle to the Kryptonian invasion. Jesus, and you call yourself a movie reviewer?

Lestov16
Originally posted by NemeBro
Jesus, and you call yourself a movie reviewer?

No, I call myself Jesus. Will mow any lawn for any price.

But please dissect my post and give a detailed explanation of why I am wrong. I want to see this.

Lord Lucien
No, I call myself Jesus. Will mow any lawn for any price.

But please dissect my post and give a detailed explanation of why I am wrong. I want to see this. No you don't. You're not interested in considering another viewpoint. And you're certainly not interested in re-examining your own. You have a distinct Quanchi-vibe in this thread.

Lestov16
Actually, this is my re-examined opinion. Did you not see my original review of MOS? And odd how you singled me out when every person in this thread clearly has their own staunch opinion on the film. Also, whereas I went point by point debunking some flawed perceptions of the film, you just put down a simplistic "NO U RONG". You are the epitome of objective criticism. Those bee stings are starting to affect your brain.

Darth Martin
Man of Steel was the shit. One of the finest of its genre. Cavill was fine. Snyder's vision was great. Hopefully, the sequel will be even better.

Lestov16
They will probably have to dial down some of the action to make Benman a credible threat, but I'm sure it will still be exciting.

Dramatic Gecko
Ofcourse action is essential in any SuperHero movie. I'm no twit. I'm just asking that maybe people don't jizz at the amount of explosions or alien wrestling they see. Every Superhero has their own vibe. Batman: Detective gadget user who beats thugs to a pulp, constantly playing mind games with his villain. Green Lantern: Digging deep for courage and willpower against overwhelming odds (no matter how homosexual Ryan may make it look). Superman: Symbol of Justice who protects the innocents and sends the baddies to prison... with the occasional Zod invasion wink.

While I will admit, MOS did have some interesting new takes on the series. Some I didn't agree with, such as Lois knowing the secret, kinda just ruins many moments of comedy we could have had. And Johnathin dying to save a dog from a tornado, I did like the idea of him dying believing the secret wasn't ready to be told... but he was saving a dog... am I the only one who found that weak? The fight scenes were essential but they dragged out for so long due to Snyder wanting wank over more explosions and buildings falling over. We have too much of that shit already.

Reeve gave the effect of awesome and his Clark portrayal was legendary. His cheesy smile when he catches the bullet in the alley... gets me every time... You're gonna hate me but Superman is a family hero but they've outfitted him to a 9 year-old's definition of cool.

Kotor3

Darth Martin
Nostalgia is the only way you can view Donner's Superman as superior. From the mannerisms, physicality, look, and action sequences to the dialogue. Cavill had it all.

The first two Donner films will always be iconic but you can't compare it to MOS. It just isn't really fair. Too dated.

Besides, the tone, Cavill was more of a physical embodiment of Reeve's Superman than Routh anyways. The scene where he's lifting the world engine; looks just like him. Plus his Clark wasn't as cheesy.

Snyder gave us Superman for 2013. He did it extremely well.

Kotor3
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Nostalgia is the only way you can view Donner's Superman as superior. From the mannerisms, physicality, look, and action sequences to the dialogue. Cavill had it all.

The first two Donner films will always be iconic but you can't compare it to MOS. It just isn't really fair. Too dated.

Besides, the tone, Cavill was more of a physical embodiment of Reeve's Superman than Routh anyways. The scene where he's lifting the world engine; looks just like him. Plus his Clark wasn't as cheesy.

Snyder gave us Superman for 2013. He did it extremely well.

Actually you can. When you think of Donner Superman films Reeve's comes to mind. When you think of MOS, special effects comes to mind not Cavill verison of superman.

Zack Fair
The Reeves era films were good for their time (about 3 decades ago), but they admittedly do not hold up with contemporary superhero films. They're kind of cheesy TBH.

Besides the one scene with the trucker, I think they got Superman's persona pretty down pat in this. I liked and familiarized with him. He was clearly an altruistic hero.

Also, the ultimate version of Superman to me is the DCAU version. Everything else is just a variant.

But yeah, I'd much rather watch MOS than one of the Reeves films. Pretty much this.

Superman 1 and 2 consist of a large part of my childhood. The movie was great back then, and it did set the tone for comic movies in the next 2 decades. Having said that the movie does feel dated. IMO MoS is the better movie.

Still Reeve will probably never be beaten as THE Superman. He had this charm to him. You felt like everything would be good/was good with just one of his smiles. Even when he commits murder.Originally posted by Kotor3
Actually you can. When you think of Donner Superman films Reeve's comes to mind. When you think of MOS, special effects comes to mind not Cavill verison of superman. I disagree. Maybe for you, but not me.

Kotor3
@Lestov16 and Time Immemorial

Both of your comments focus on the movie itself and not the character Superman. What was so good about the character Superman in MOS?

Kotor3
Originally posted by Zack Fair
I disagree. Maybe for you, but not me.

Ok. So you prefer MOS version of Superman over the previous ones? I am particularly referring to the portrayal of the character Superman.

Darth Martin
Actually you can. When you think of Donner Superman films Reeve's comes to mind. When you think of MOS, special effects comes to mind not Cavill verison of superman. Maybe so; but could it be because it's 2014 and we're pondering on a film that released in 1978?

When people think of "action" when it comes to MOS a bad thing? It's arguably the best action we've seen in any film of its type. Only Avengers comes close.

So you prefer MOS version of Superman over the previous ones? I am particularly referring to the portrayal of the character Superman. Me, personally; yes. Not because Cavill did a better job than Reeve persay. I simply prefer Snyder's tone over Donner's. That simple. With that said, I think Cavill did a very good job.

Kotor3

Zack Fair
Everything points to Cavillman getting a lot of realistic character development. Hope they at least get that right in the sequel.

Lestov16

Darth Martin
Only thing weak in MOS was their handling of Lois Lane.

Time Immemorial
Only thing weak in MOS was their handling of Lois Lane.

She's always gonna be the weak link man. What else are they supposed to have her do? She's a dansle in distress.

Time Immemorial
Ofcourse action is essential in any SuperHero movie. I'm no twit. I'm just asking that maybe people don't jizz at the amount of explosions or alien wrestling they see. Every Superhero has their own vibe. Batman: Detective gadget user who beats thugs to a pulp, constantly playing mind games with his villain. Green Lantern: Digging deep for courage and willpower against overwhelming odds (no matter how homosexual Ryan may make it look). Superman: Symbol of Justice who protects the innocents and sends the baddies to prison... with the occasional Zod invasion wink.

While I will admit, MOS did have some interesting new takes on the series. Some I didn't agree with, such as Lois knowing the secret, kinda just ruins many moments of comedy we could have had. And Johnathin dying to save a dog from a tornado, I did like the idea of him dying believing the secret wasn't ready to be told... but he was saving a dog... am I the only one who found that weak? The fight scenes were essential but they dragged out for so long due to Snyder wanting wank over more explosions and buildings falling over. We have too much of that shit already.

Reeve gave the effect of awesome and his Clark portrayal was legendary. His cheesy smile when he catches the bullet in the alley... gets me every time... You're gonna hate me but Superman is a family hero but they've outfitted him to a 9 year-old's definition of cool.

Jizzing to the amount of explosions the way you jizz and talk about the island feat over and over and over? I swear you literally cannot make a valid debate because the same thing you cry about other people doing, you do the same thing.

They did the comedian act for 4-5 movies. Arnt you a bit tired of the comedian act? Jon had to die, protecting his son was the way he wanted to go out, so be it. I really think you are just a hater and want 30 Superman 1 movies.

Darth Martin
Not complaining. It could've been handled WAY worse and backfired. *See Rachel Dawes*

Time Immemorial
@Lestov16 and Time Immemorial

Both of your comments focus on the movie itself and not the character Superman. What was so good about the character Superman in MOS?

The character development was deep.

Kotor3

Kotor3
The character development was deep.

I would ask you to expand on that comment but ok. I definitely do not agree. That is one of the biggest issues with the movie and Superman character display in MOS.

Darth Martin
Then there's the score. John Williams' theme is iconic but Zimmer's score was truly one of the best I've ever heard for any movie. It was thoroughly engaging. Made the film even more epic.

Zack Fair
Agreed. I'm glad to say Superman has been very lucky to get epic scores on his movies.

zeel
All I can say is if the superman franchise wants to progress they better hope Diseny dosent release captain America 3 on the same weekend as the next superman movie. Hope it don't happen

This will hurt both movies, Diseny can easily abosorb the blow D.C. cannot they have a lot of ground to make up and it better work. AS far as MOS goes it wasn't as bad as some say. IT just had a different feel to it.

Darth Martin
That's not gonna happen. Neither company is that stupid. Same year? Maybe. Same weekend? Hell no.

Time Immemorial
I would ask you to expand on that comment but ok. I definitely do not agree. That is one of the biggest issues with the movie and Superman character display in MOS.

Ok, Zero character development in the first 5 movies, it's the same story..

This movie presented a more real world situation for Clark.

Darth Martin
It's sad that people hate on this but propel stuff like The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Thor: Dark World and The Wolverine.

Time Immemorial
It's sad that people hate on this but propel stuff like The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Thor: Dark World and The Wolverine.

Yea those were such amazing character development laughing

Lestov16

Kotor3
Ok, Zero character development in the first 5 movies, it's the same story..

This movie presented a more real world situation for Clark.

I don't agree with neither statement but, ok. It at least explains why you like the movie.

Time Immemorial
I don't agree with neither statement but, ok. It at least explains why you like the movie.

Explain how MOS had zero character development.

Darth Martin
Not particularly fair to compare the cinematic version to the animated incarnation. I'm sure everyone and their mother agrees Conroy IS Batman but you can't fault Keaton or Bale. They did what they could with 5 films between them respectively. Conroy has close to a hundred hours of material probably between all the shows, movies, and games.

jaden101
Superman's character wasn't the issue. In isolation it wasn't that bad. The problem was that everyone else was exactly the same. Grim, miserable, stoic. The reason things like Avengers, Winter Soldier and Days of Future Past work better is due to there being balance and difference between the personalities. That's also why Reeves supes was superior to MoS in every aspect except effects.

Lestov16
OK that was wrong of me to bring DCAU Supes into this. But let me ask, Kotor, how old were you when you first saw the Reeves films?

Darth Martin
Matter of opinion though. If anything Avengers and MOS are on par.

Avengers - 9/10
Man of Steel - 9/10
The Winter Soldier 8.5/10
Days of Future Past 8/10

Man of Steel(like TDKR) works fine just like Avengers. It just has sharp contrast in its tone.

Depends on what mood your in.

Kotor3

Time Immemorial
God those movies were boring, anyone that wants a continuation of those should be banned from posting about superman topics.

Darth Martin
They were ideal for their time. It won't work today. Case in point: Superman Returns.

Time Immemorial
They were ideal for their time. It won't work today. Case in point: Superman Returns.

Abysmal

Hey he lifted a island man, quit talking trash laughing laughing big grin

Dramatic Gecko

I agree whole heartedly with this. We don't need a continuation, of something overdone at Superman 3. MOS just seemed like a completely different SuperHero movie. It might be my blind hatred of Zach Snyder. Or how even my Uncle, who was looking forward to MOS, thought it was a major let down. Cavill definatly could have been a great Superman, but unfortunately they wanted him to be Alien Wrestler Man. IN MY OPINION! MY WORD IS NOT LAW! MY WORD IS NO BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSES!

@TE, what the **** does the island lifting feat have anything to do with this thread? Go rage somewhere else and leave the discussions to the grown ups. I hope your feelings are hurt.

Lestov16
We live in a post-9/11 pessimistic, paranoid, cynical, and pragmatic world. Now more than ever we enjoy our villains to be sentient beings who can punched like a terrorist, rather than a boring kryptonite island. Reeves grinning and winking would seem cheesy as all hell today. We needed a reboot and we got it.

Time Immemorial
I agree whole heartedly with this. We don't need a continuation, of something overdone at Superman 3. MOS just seemed like a completely different SuperHero movie. It might be my blind hatred of Zach Snyder. Or how even my Uncle, who was looking forward to MOS, thought it was a major let down. Cavill definatly could have been a great Superman, but unfortunately they wanted him to be Alien Wrestler Man. IN MY OPINION! MY WORD IS NOT LAW! MY WORD IS NO BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSES!

@TE, what the **** does the island lifting feat have anything to do with this thread? Go rage somewhere else and leave the discussions to the grown ups. I hope your feelings are hurt.
^^Not rage?

Considering you never shut up about the island being lifted? I know your mad laughing

Kotor3

Dramatic Gecko
^^Not rage?

Considering you never shut up about the island being lifted? I know your mad laughing

Dude. I mentioned it once in a versus thread where feats mattered. You brought it up in this thread. Are you like in a continuous state of buthurt that even Routh is stronger than Cavil? (stronger physically, all Supermans are better actors than Routh. however my word is not law as I may constantly remind you all.)

Time Immemorial
Dude. I mentioned it once in a versus thread where feats mattered. You brought it up in this thread. Are you like in a continuous state of buthurt that even Routh is stronger than Cavil? (stronger physically, all Supermans are better actors than Routh. however my word is not law as I may constantly remind you all.)

Who cares who was stronger, lol. The movie isn't based off that, every time you talk about this movie you rage, you bias for Zach Synder blinds you.

Dramatic Gecko
Who cares who was stronger, lol. The movie isn't based off that, every time you talk about this movie you rage, you bias for Zach Synder blinds you.

I already said my hatred might be blinding me... now you are just mimicking me. And that was exactly what I was saying, in versus the strength matters, here it doesn't, we are finally agreeing on something and you are being hostile. You should be happy. We're connecting.

Except I'm in favour of Reeves and you are in favour of Cavil. I don't think we can change each other's minds... so NEXT THREAD PLEASE!

Time Immemorial
I already said my hatred might be blinding me... now you are just mimicking me. And that was exactly what I was saying, in versus the strength matters, here it doesn't, we are finally agreeing on something and you are being hostile. You should be happy. We're connecting.

Except I'm in favour of Reeves and you are in favour of Cavil. I don't think we can change each other's minds... so NEXT THREAD PLEASE!

Were am I being hostile? I been laughing this whole time.
Reeves is gone, Rip. The show must go on in present day.

Dramatic Gecko
Were am I being hostile? I been laughing this whole time.
Reeves is gone, Rip. The show must go on in present day.

*cries at reeves death* I was reading everything you were saying as hostile... but I want to put it in the past. I dream of making a KMC a place where we can all poke fun at each other's interests and opinions and than go back to Rob's Rectum and laugh about it.

Kotor3
OK that was wrong of me to bring DCAU Supes into this. But let me ask, Kotor, how old were you when you first saw the Reeves films? Under 10 and you?

Time Immemorial
*cries at reeves death* I was reading everything you were saying as hostile... but I want to put it in the past. I dream of making a KMC a place where we can all poke fun at each other's interests and opinions and than go back to Rob's Rectum and laugh about it.

The part about your hatred for Zach blinds you was a spin off from Palatine talking to Anakin about hatred laughing

Firefly218
Actually, this is my re-examined opinion. Did you not see my original review of MOS? And odd how you singled me out when every person in this thread clearly has their own staunch opinion on the film. Also, whereas I went point by point debunking some flawed perceptions of the film, you just put down a simplistic "NO U RONG". You are the epitome of objective criticism. Those bee stings are starting to affect your brain.

You have to admit though, the script was extremely weak. The only reason lots of people enjoyed MoS was because of the special effects, fights and awesome music.

The acting was subpar, dialogue was awful, tone was unnecessarily dark and joyless. Avengers maybe didn't have the editing/directing quality, but it was fun, interesting, rewatchable and blood pumping because of its script and characters.

Supes took itself too seriously. I'm all for violence and great fight sequences (Cap 2), but a movie should have character and personality. MoS had no character or charm, rendering it bland.

Hopefully the script for supes v bats is better

-Pr-
Reeve played a Superman that frankly isn't relevant anymore. Times have changed.

That said, he did it brilliantly, and his ability to shift between the awkwardness of Clark Kent and the cool, composed confidence of Superman was, imo, outstanding. It's a feat no actor has managed to do since.

Can Cavill do it? I don't know; we'll see in the next movie I'm sure.

One thing I've noticed though, is that whether people enjoyed MOS or not, depends a lot on their own personal view of how Superman should be, and because MOS doesn't match everyone's idea, many aren't going to like it.

It wasn't even my ideal version, but it got enough right that it deserves more than the hammering it takes on this board, imo.

Lestov16
Under 10 and you?

I think 2011. But that's not relevant.

Let's say I showed your 9 year old self Superman II and MOS back to back. Can you honestly tell me your child self would have enjoyed Superman II better?

zeel

I consider myself open minded friend but there are just to many people that disagree with you.

There is a reason MOS made 650 millon vs avengers 1.5 billion. But we both have our own opinions on the subject.

Lestov16
Originally posted by zeel

I consider myself open minded friend but there are just to many people that disagree with you.

There is a reason MOS made 650 millon vs avengers 1.5 billion. But we both have our own opinions on the subject.

The Avengers was the culmination of a nearly 5 year marketing campaign including multiple solo films. MOS was just tenuously connected to the Batman films. Also, as shown by the Transformers films and Avatar, BO is not an indicator of a film's quality

zeel
The Avengers was the culmination of a nearly 5 year marketing campaign including multiple solo films. MOS was just tenuously connected to the Batman films. Also, as shown by the Transformers films and Avatar, BO is not an indicator of a film's quality

I agree 100% I never said there was a quality issues with mos, its up to the viewer to decide.

Firefly218

Avengers is considered by many folks the greatest comic book movie made. Yes it had tremendous hype, but the fact that it lived up to the hype is a marvel to behold. Pun intended.

Time Immemorial

Firefly218
Anyone read that book "The Last Days of Krypton". That would have been a perfect story to make into a movie.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by marwash22
the point of this thread, what is it?

Seems like you made an entire thread to voice your personal opinion which could have been done in the actual MoS thread.

He needed a platform for his subjective argument which consists of proof by assertion and "I don't like thing."

Time Immemorial
Anyone read that book "The Last Days of Krypton". That would have been a perfect story to make into a movie.

Amazing book

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
He needed a platform for his subjective argument which consists of proof by assertion and "I don't like thing."

laughing laughing

Kotor3

Kotor3
Donner spend an hour of screen time with superman getting trolled by the football team, running around Smallville and building the fortress of solitude.

Now you are just making up stuff to support your argument.

Synder had some sick backstory on how he found his way, interaction with his father in a way we never seen and his death. And entire production of Krypton and its technology. How and why Krypton blew up, how Jor El died, he was a total bad ass by the way. How much his parents loved him. Knowing he would die anywhere else but found the one spot he could survive and flourish. I'll take the Synder story and rendition any day over the past one with all its gaps in Krypton past and what it was like.

Good for you.

Time Immemorial

Kotor3

zeel

NemeBro
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
No you don't. You're not interested in considering another viewpoint. And you're certainly not interested in re-examining your own. You have a distinct Quanchi-vibe in this thread. Were you trolling like me, or serious? That's the only post of his I read.

Lestov, I've already posted on why MOS is something of a shitty movie at length. Dissect this dick.

Kotor3
Hehe by the time they made superman 4 reeves basically said, Hell they are just throwing money at me so ill make it. God superman 4 was horrible. In my book the best of the superman movies were in this order, this is just a opinion

Superman 2
Mos/superman the movie
superman returns (good movie just out of its time)

The rest sucked.

The only change I would make to your list is that MOS would be below Superman the movie.

Lord Lucien
Actually, this is my re-examined opinion. Did you not see my original review of MOS? And odd how you singled me out when every person in this thread clearly has their own staunch opinion on the film. Also, whereas I went point by point debunking some flawed perceptions of the film, you just put down a simplistic "NO U RONG". You are the epitome of objective criticism. Those bee stings are starting to affect your brain. No, I didn't say "U R RONG." I said (paraphrase) "U R QUANCHI."

Saying "You're wrong" when it comes to movie tastes, is asinine and childish. Equally so is responding in such a manner as to sound like you're right, as you did. Neme can't possibly prove you wrong and you know it. And you can't prove yourself right. But by offering your stance up to be "dissected", you'll vicariously re-enforce it when he fails to do what can't be done. Hence: you're not open to changing your mind or opinion, only reenforcing by having someone erroneously "attack" it and calling them "wrong" afterward. Essentially, doing what everybody hates Quanchi for doing.

That's narrow-minded at best, ethically disingenuous at worst.

Lestov16
Calm yourself, bee boy

Odd you are singling me out for claiming my opinion is objective when the entire thread is based on Kotor trying to claim his opinion is objective. Only one cause for such bias: you hate negroes

Time Immemorial

Zack Fair
The less Smallville faggotry in my silver screen Superman the better. uhuh

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Zack Fair
The less Smallville faggotry in my silver screen Superman the better. uhuh

Tim still did a good job and had Chris as a mentor. Heck he had the whole Original cast as a mentor at one time.

Dramatic Gecko
Calm yourself, bee boy

Odd you are singling me out for claiming my opinion is objective when the entire thread is based on Kotor trying to claim his opinion is objective. Only one cause for such bias: you hate negroes

I think we are all just surprised that Lestov is trying to enforce his ideals on us. You are usually a bro the anti-quan. I feel like I don't know you anymore, you're breaking my heart. *dies from pregnancy/choking me the **** to death!*

Lestov16
You got Mola Ram-ed, bytch!

But seriously, how am I trying to force my ideals when the title of thread is an opinion trying to be asserted as fact?

quanchi112
Calm yourself, bee boy

Odd you are singling me out for claiming my opinion is objective when the entire thread is based on Kotor trying to claim his opinion is objective. Only one cause for such bias: you hate negroes Lestov doesn't know the difference between objective and subjective. Unlike him I don't act like my opinion is factual just extremely well supported by evidence.

Lestov16
Whatevs

Kotor3
You got Mola Ram-ed, bytch!

But seriously, how am I trying to force my ideals when the title of thread is an opinion trying to be asserted as fact?

Really the title is an opinion not an fact? Okay. I didn't know the debate had not been settled as to who was the best version of superman.

I thought it was from all the threads and polls I've seen.

Lestov16
Yeah, bee boy. I'm the only one trying to assert my opinion as fact.
McAeQiLmEYU
You come at the king, Lucien, you best not miss, lest you get stung wink

And yeah Kotor, considering there are clearly people who think different, your analysis is not unanimous and thus not objective fact. Just because you prefer Reeve Superman doesn't mean everyone does or should.

-Pr-

Lord Lucien
Calm yourself, bee boy

Odd you are singling me out for claiming my opinion is objective when the entire thread is based on Kotor trying to claim his opinion is objective. Only one cause for such bias: you hate negroes No, that's Rob. I've already been confused with him recently...

Actually I'm just really in favour of KotOR 3. The one that got away.

Lestov16
Hey, you can't do that gay shit here. I saw him first!

Darth Martin
Man of Steel had tremendous hype. The most hype I've had for a film since TDKR. It lived up to the hype in every way and in some ways surprised me.

Originally posted by zeel I consider myself open minded friend but there are just to many people that disagree with you.

So I'm supposed to bow down simply because I'm in the minority? Yea, no thanks. I've debated MOS with dozens of people in real life and online and the majority of critique I've accumulated from them about the film, to me, is honestly trivial(to be civil).

As Lestov said above, box office sucess is cool but I try not to get hung up on it. Justin Bieber has more YouTube views than pretty much every music artist there is but.....

In my opinion, Watchmen: The Director's Cut is the best film this genre has to offer and it barely made 100 million domestic if I'm not mistaken. The film is probably the only comic-book film that is even more polarizing than Man of Steel with many people to this day still bashing it.

Dramatic Gecko
Everyone here needs to watch the Bum Review for Man of Steel.

Time Immemorial

I did, it was a review by bum laughing

Kotor3
Reeves is a legend, no one can replace him. I been through 100 times why they didn't use Tom Welling to be the new Superman. Kinda sad to be honest as they both shared the screen together in Smallville for a season or two. One of the most successful super hero shows of all time and Tom got too be around the legend. What a perfect way to lead into a movie for him and the franshise.

The directors have different view points. One had to start the whole thing from scratch the other has had huge block busters under his belt and 5 superman movies and 10 years of shows to learn from before casting and producing

On the story side of it one father wanted him to hide who he was because he was convinced the world would reject him. The other one encouraged him to push himself.

From Jonathan's stand point I get it, he wanted to protect his son even if that meant sacrificing himself or others to keep that secret. Wrong approach but he was doing the best he could with a super powered son and a alien ship in his barn.

We see Clark getting kicked around his whole life by kids at school, people at bars, and the places he worked. But he knew when to act. Oil rig was the first time it seems since the bus he had to man up and reveal himself.

His attitude was best wrapped up into "You won't control me, you never will but that doesn't mean we have to be enemies; it has to be on my terms." The general gets dicy with him. And he says he grew up in Smallville he's about American as it gets. Then blasts off, I felt that was a good way to end it.

I understand what the director was trying to relay in MOS. It just did not come through well. I explain my feelings on this in previous threads. For me the delivery was not done well. I thought the first part of the movie started off really well with what happen on Krypton but after it went flat.

As for Reeve his version may be replace one day but not from Cavill version in MOS.

Kotor3

Dr Will Hatch
The only thing that I liked about MOS was how it fleshed out General Zod's motivations. I enjoyed Michael Shannon more than I thought I would, even though he still didn't eclipse Terrence Stamp. I also thought the idea that Krypton was a society that had accomplished absolutely everything that it was capable of doing was intriguing.

Everything else? Horrible. I'll stick with the Reeves version, thank you. I and II are classics.

-Pr-

Lestov16

I love Nostalgia Critic most of the time, but I did not agree with his views on MOS or Godzilla. Didn't like Cinema Snob's MOS review either, because it was biased and overexaggerated as hell. I did like Angry Joe's review of MOS (although I disagreed with him about Godzilla). I guess it's just opinion. Hint, hint, kotor.

Dramatic Gecko
Who the hell is Kotor?

Lestov16
The nickname for my ballsack

Dramatic Gecko
The nickname for my ballsack

Q: What did Cinderella say when she got to the ball?

A: *gag*

Firefly218
Reeves acting performance was not as great as people claim. A lot of times it seemed he was just reciting his characters lines, not inhabiting his character.

Esau Cairn
That's not gonna happen. Neither company is that stupid. Same year? Maybe. Same weekend? Hell no.

I've never seen 2 major movies released on the same weekend.
For example Godzilla was released here in Australia on June 15th followed by the XMen on the 22nd.

Dramatic Gecko
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I've never seen 2 major movies released on the same weekend.
For example Godzilla was released here in Australia on June 15th followed by the XMen on the 22nd.

Australia for the win.

Esau Cairn
Reeves acting performance was not as great as people claim. A lot of times it seemed he was just reciting his characters lines, not inhabiting his character.

You've also got to take into account that most superhero movie back then didn't have comic book writers as consultants for the film.
Superhero movies back then were considered a risk & not the multi-million dollar market that it has become now.

There wouldn't have been much comic book references for Reeves to have read to get into character.

-Pr-

Even if that were true, Hes still the best live action superman weve ever had imo. Or do you think someone did it better?

Firefly218
Originally posted by -Pr-
Even if that were true, Hes still the best live action superman weve ever had imo. Or do you think someone did it better?

Cavill did a great job as supes. If only the script was better

Esau Cairn
Cavill did a great job as supes. If only the script was better

Cavill did a great job as portraying an "alien" trying to fit in with humanity...if anything, not quite understanding the perpetual violence we humans have for eachother.
But on the same note, I never quite sensed from MOS that he quite understood the frailty of humanity altogether....blah blah blah death of his father...collateral damage.

Time Immemorial
Cavill did a great job as portraying an "alien" trying to fit in with humanity...if anything, not quite understanding the perpetual violence we humans have for eachother.
But on the same note, I never quite sensed from MOS that he quite understood the frailty of humanity altogether....blah blah blah death of his father...collateral damage.

Pretty sure he knew his father was willing to die to protect his secret. As far as collateral damage, I'm guessing he was supposed to try and talk reason to Zod and take him out of the city after Zod started attacking him..

Esau Cairn
I'm guessing he was supposed to try and talk reason to Zod and take him out of the city after Zod started attacking him..

Or a super-punch AWAY from buildings instead of through them?

I mean that would've been more dramatic, Supes fighting to save the city & staving off Zod's approach to where the populace was.
It could've been portrayed as Supes being the "final bastion" to the fall of Metropolis.

Time Immemorial
Or a super-punch AWAY from buildings instead of through them?

I mean that would've been more dramatic, Supes fighting to save the city & staving off Zod's approach to where the populace was.
It could've been portrayed as Supes being the "final bastion" to the fall of Metropolis.

Divert all his attention to punching Zod away from buildings within a city lined with sky scrapers that that guy is trying to destroy with him, meanwhile he has to somehow kill the guy who has the same powers as him, and win the fight to save the earth, never would worked on screen for production or for the movie storyline.

zeel
Man of Steel had tremendous hype. The most hype I've had for a film since TDKR. It lived up to the hype in every way and in some ways surprised me.

So I'm supposed to bow down simply because I'm in the minority? Yea, no thanks. I've debated MOS with dozens of people in real life and online and the majority of critique I've accumulated from them about the film, to me, is honestly trivial(to be civil).

As Lestov said above, box office sucess is cool but I try not to get hung up on it. Justin Bieber has more YouTube views than pretty much every music artist there is but.....

In my opinion, Watchmen: The Director's Cut is the best film this genre has to offer and it barely made 100 million domestic if I'm not mistaken. The film is probably the only comic-book film that is even more polarizing than Man of Steel with many people to this day still bashing it.

No need to bow down to no one man you liked the movie and that's all that mattered. It took me a few times to watch it before It started to grow on me.

Time Immemorial
No need to bow down to no one man you liked the movie and that's all that mattered. It took me a few times to watch it before It started to grow on me.

Agreed most of critics and haters saw it once in theater in 3D and didn't spend the money or time to watch it a few more times and understand the movie.

Bardock42
I mean, like, they are both not that great, are they?

Dramatic Gecko
Needing to watch the movie more than once to like it is not something that works in its favour.

Lestov16
Well I thought Superman I was really lame the first time I saw it. Also shut it off to watch Rambo. Eventually, I did rewatch it and gain an appreciation of Reeves' charm.

Time Immemorial
Needing to watch the movie more than once to like it is not something that works in its favour.

Pull your head off that bong and it might be laughing

Kotor3

Firefly218

-Pr-

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>