Yoda vs ROTS Darth Sidious

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Battle takes place in the same place, but there are no soldiers, time constraints, or anything like that, to the death.

1. Sabers

2. H2H

3. Force

3. All-Out

DARTH POWER
Wow! This has never been done before! Thanks for the thread Jmanghan!

Jmanghan
Originally posted by DARTH POWER

Yoda never really lost, he kinda just gave up :/

I was wondering what would happen if he was forced to defend himself to the death.

Stigma
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
thumb up

We see them fight on screen and it was a stalemate /thread.

Emperordmb
I'd say Sidious in h2h, and Sidious by a very slight margin in every other match.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Emperordmb
I'd say Sidious in h2h, and Sidious by a very slight margin in every other match.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060808024142/starwars/images/8/8e/Yodakick.JPG

Yoda takes sabers and H2H, force goes to Sidious slightly, and all out is dead even.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Lord Stark
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060808024142/starwars/images/8/8e/Yodakick.JPG

Yoda takes sabers and H2H, force goes to Sidious slightly, and all out is dead even.
That is definitely non-canon as it is very clearly contradicted by the movie.

Lord Stark
That is definitely non-canon as it is very clearly contradicted by the movie.

N-canon or not, Yoda is fully capable of replicating it. He's stronger than Sidious imo.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090702151300/starwars/images/thumb/2/24/Yoda_crate.jpg/640px-Yoda_crate.jpg

Emperordmb
N-canon or not, Yoda is fully capable of replicating it. He's stronger than Sidious imo.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090702151300/starwars/images/thumb/2/24/Yoda_crate.jpg/640px-Yoda_crate.jpg
I analyzed their bladelocks once. Their strength actually seems evenly matched.

Lord Stark
I analyzed their bladelocks once. Their strength actually seems evenly matched.

Sidious' facial expressions show he's straining, Yoda's do not. Yoda also later disarms Sidious he's his superior in swordsmanship.

Emperordmb
Sidious' facial expressions show he's straining, Yoda's do not. Yoda also later disarms Sidious he's his superior in swordsmanship.
That's just how they fight. Sidious expresses emotion when he's trying, Yoda on the other hand is dead serious and focused when he's trying.

It never shows how Sidious loses his weapon and there may have been a huge environmental factor in their duel on the podium. So I looked at their other feats and Sidious's performance impresses more than Yoda's performance against Dooku.

carthage
Sidious takes this again with mid difficulty.

Lord Stark
That's just how they fight. Sidious expresses emotion when he's trying, Yoda on the other hand is dead serious and focused when he's trying.

Yoda shows when he's struggling as per him trying to absorb Sidious' lightning.

Nice cop out. Yoda disarmed Sidious fair and square, Sidious retreated into the Grand Convocation chamber because he knew on even ground Yoda would be victorious. Also Yoda's duel with Dooku is pretty irrelevant to this discussion.

carthage
Which is totally why Yoda lost the fight. lol

Lord Stark
Originally posted by carthage

Because one fight is a determinant over which combatant is superior. lol

carthage
It is. Yoda gave him somewhat of a fight, but Palpatine proved he was superior. There isn't much to add they're on the same tier, but Palpatine edges him out in just about every category. I'm surprised this is so hard to accept.

Based

Remember when Sidious killed Yoda? Yeah, neither do I.

carthage
No, but I distinctly remember Yoda running after losing

He also couldn't kill Yoda as that would've ****ed up continuity issues with the OT, ergo making Luke being able to defeat Vader a virtual impossibility.

Nice try though thumb up

Emperordmb
Yoda admits that he didn't have what it takes to defeat Sidious. That being said they are closer than Carthage seems to think.

carthage
I said they were on the same tier, I just said that Palpatine edges him out by a little.

Lord Stark
Sidious takes this again with mid difficulty. Originally posted by carthage
I said they were on the same tier, I just said that Palpatine edges him out by a little.

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1257003814239.jpg

No, but I distinctly remember Yoda running after losing

He also couldn't kill Yoda as that would've ****ed up continuity issues with the OT, ergo making Luke being able to defeat Vader a virtual impossibility.

Nice try though thumb up

Seriously? And you don't think Yoda killing Sidious wouldn't have been a massive continuity issue?

red8
I'd go with Yoda. The movie and the season 6 vision both seem to give him a slight edge over Sidious.

In the movie:
Sidious was disarmed first and Yoda's tutaminis did overpower Sidious.

In the vision:
Yoda is pushing back Sidious in saber combat and his tutaminis overpowers Sidious.

I never read the novel, but I believe its description has Sidious being too much for Yoda. I would imagine the movie and the cartoon would overrule this though.

PTforthewin
In the vision yoda resisted palpatines lightning while saving anakin

Sinious
There is nothing that proves Yoda's superiority in saber skills but GL made it obvious that Sidious has greater force powers as he can easily TK a couple of senator platforms and throw them at Yoda while Yoda only tries to dodge them and is barely able to throw back one platform at his opponent. Sidious doesn't even see Yoda as a threat. He wouldn't laugh so much during the entire duel if he thought he was in danger.

The_Tempest
Sidious doesn't see Yoda as a threat? Ever? no expression

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
I agree with Temp here. Sidious isn't so far above Yoda that he never sees him as a legitimate threat. In the beginning of the fight (prior to them drawing their lightsabers) Sidious tried to run away from Yoda, but was then forced into confrontation. Sidious wouldn't even attempt to run from someone he doesn't deem a threat.

Stigma
Sidious takes this again with mid difficulty.
laughing

Originally posted by Stigma
We see them fight on screen and it was a stalemate /thread.

carthage
Call it a stalemate, even though I provided a quote where it clearly said Yoda was no match for him, and Yoda from the fight.

Lol

Sinious
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Sidious doesn't see Yoda as a threat? Ever? no expression

Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
I agree with Temp here. Sidious isn't so far above Yoda that he never sees him as a legitimate threat. In the beginning of the fight (prior to them drawing their lightsabers) Sidious tried to run away from Yoda, but was then forced into confrontation. Sidious wouldn't even attempt to run from someone he doesn't deem a threat.

Of course he is a threat to him and Sidious is very well aware of it. What I mean is that Sidious has indeed waited a long time for that moment. It really doesn't make sense for him to attempt to run away after declaring that. I never really understood that part but then again, Prequals don't make sense in general so Im not that shocked by that scene.

I mean that he was anticipating this confrontation and he was prepared for it. After the saber fight, they start using their force powers on each other and at that point Sidious has the higher ground and is dominating the fight. That specific scene where he throws the platforms at Yoda depicts Sidious' superiority when it comes to force powers.

This duel doesn't give a clue about who is a better saber wielder but it shows who the mightier force user is. It is so close that none of the sides get to kill his opponent though if there is any victor in that scene, it is Sidious.

DarthAnt66
Meh. Scholastic say they are equals.

"Yoda's knowledge of the Force makes him just as powerful as Darth Sidious."
-Mysterious of the Jedi

"Sidious battles with passion and fury, only to be matched every blow by Yoda's calm, measured skill."
-Beware of the Sith

"Yoda is an immensely powerful Jedi who can control blue crackling Force lightning."
-Mysterious of the Jedi

Sinious
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
"Yoda's knowledge of the Force makes him just as powerful as Darth Sidious."
-Mysterious of the Jedi

I know this one and it makes it pretty clear. Still though, Sidious did dominate Yoda with his TK. Its in the movie so no sources are needed to deny that. In the enitre fight, it was either both sides fighting equally or Yoda defending.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Sinious
I know this one and it makes it pretty clear. Still though, Sidious did dominate Yoda with his TK. Its in the movie so no sources are needed to deny that. In the enitre fight, it was either both sides fighting equally or Yoda defending.

Not really domination. The movie also shows Yoda disarming Sidious, reflecting his lightning with his saber, and absorbing it with his bare hands.

Sinious
Again, I think they are equal. Im just saying that if there is a winning side to it 51/49 it should be Sidious.

P.S I just finished season 6 so I have huge respect for Yoda right now.

Sinious
Sidious disarmed Yoda too with his lightning technically.

Lord Stark
Sidious disarmed Yoda too with his lightning technically.

Indeed. Although TCWs also makes it pretty clear that Yoda can deflect his lightning with his saber.

Zett
Call it a stalemate, even though I provided a quote where it clearly said Yoda was no match for him, and Yoda from the fight.

Lol

No, you didn't. Could not defeat =/= was no match

Yoda could not defeat Sidious, but Sidious couldn't defeat Yoda either. Their duel was extremely close, and at the end was decided by fate. After his fall from podium, Yoda had to run because of Sidious' highground, and army of clones on his side.

carthage
Originally posted by Zett
No, you didn't. Could not defeat =/= was no match

Yoda could not defeat Sidious, but Sidious couldn't defeat Yoda either. Their duel was extremely close, and at the end was decided by fate. After his fall from podium, Yoda had to run because of Sidious' highground, and army of clones on his side.

Yoda went after Palpatine in the empty Senate chamber, but could not defeat the most powerful Sith Lord in history.
--Taken from The New Essential Chronology

Lord Stark
Yoda SLAUGHTERHOUSE

Emperordmb
Yoda SLAUGHTERHOUSE
lol, clever

red8
There is nothing that proves Yoda's superiority in saber skills but GL made it obvious that Sidious has greater force powers as he can easily TK a couple of senator platforms and throw them at Yoda while Yoda only tries to dodge them and is barely able to throw back one platform at his opponent. Sidious doesn't even see Yoda as a threat. He wouldn't laugh so much during the entire duel if he thought he was in danger.

I am definitely going to have to disagree with your analysis of this scene. I felt this scene perfectly depicted the difference between the dark side and the light side. Yes, both combatants were using the same power, TK, but they were using in very different ways.

Because of the dark side being more chaotic and destructive, we have Sidious laughing and flinging many senate pods haphazardly downwards at Yoda.

Because the light side is more orderly and controlled, we have Yoda focusing on one senate pod and directing it upwards at Sidious. It got the job done and Sidious lost the high ground (well some of it).

Yoda was not not flinging senate pods because he couldn't. He wasn't doing it because

1) It would not have helped him.
2) It's against his very nature to abuse the force so carelessly. Let's not forget about the scene in AotC where Anakin is with Padme and he says he would get in trouble if Obi-Wan saw him using the force to play with food.

On second thought, scratch that. Let's forget that scene and the entire movie.

Sinious
Originally posted by red8
I am definitely going to have to disagree with your analysis of this scene. I felt this scene perfectly depicted the difference between the dark side and the light side. Yes, both combatants were using the same power, TK, but they were using in very different ways.

Because of the dark side being more chaotic and destructive, we have Sidious laughing and flinging many senate pods haphazardly downwards at Yoda.

Because the light side is more orderly and controlled, we have Yoda focusing on one senate pod and directing it upwards at Sidious. It got the job done and Sidious lost the high ground (well some of it).

Yoda was not not flinging senate pods because he couldn't. He wasn't doing it because

1) It would not have helped him.
2) It's against his very nature to abuse the force so carelessly. Let's not forget about the scene in AotC where Anakin is with Padme and he says he would get in trouble if Obi-Wan saw him using the force to play with food.

On second thought, scratch that. Let's forget that scene and the entire movie.

Interesting. It would explain the huge difference between their TK skills in that scene. Still though, Sidious was doing something right since he gained the high ground at the first place. Yoda never had a moment in that fight where he gained an advantage. It still proves that Sidious was winning for a moment.

Also like you said, the very nature of the dark makes the sith stronger than the jedi in combat. The rage factor gives them temporary boost.

DarthAnt66
Yoda had several moments when he gained an advantage...like when he disarmed Sidious. :/

Sinious
If Im not mistaken, in ROTS novel, it says that while Yoda was tiring, Sidious was gaining strength.

PTforthewin
If Im not mistaken, in ROTS novel, it says that while Yoda was tiring, Sidious was gaining strength. the movie is more canon

Jmanghan
If Im not mistaken, in ROTS novel, it says that while Yoda was tiring, Sidious was gaining strength.

That novel is bullshit, they make Palpatine out to be some unbeatable god.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.