Matthew McConaughey vs. Bryan Cranston

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

quanchi112
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/27/2014-tca-award-nominees-include-true-detective-breaking-bad-game-of-thrones-more

Whose performance was better in their series ?

True detective performance or Breaking Bad.

jaden101
The scene where Walt is on the phone to Skylar and he knows the police are listening in and is making out he is threatening her, all the while trying to not breakdown in order to get her off the hook for her involvement in Walt's illegal activities. Very few performances come close to portraying that many different emotions, complexity and range in one scene. The journey Walt's character went on from being a good man doing a bad thing for altruistic reasons and descending into being a bad man doing a bad thing for selfish reasons was brilliantly done.

I do prefer Rust as a character though although this is more due to dialogue and persona than acting performance (which was still great though) . I just loved the dark philosophy of his character and his outlook on religion and humanity.

NemeBro
Originally posted by jaden101
The scene where Walt is on the phone to Skylar and he knows the police are listening in and is making out he is threatening her, all the while trying to not breakdown in order to get her off the hook for her involvement in Walt's illegal activities. Very few performances come close to portraying that many different emotions, complexity and range in one scene. The journey Walt's character went on from being a good man doing a bad thing for altruistic reasons and descending into being a bad man doing a bad thing for selfish reasons was brilliantly done.

I do prefer Rust as a character though although this is more due to dialogue and persona than acting performance (which was still great though) . I just loved the dark philosophy of his character and his outlook on religion and humanity. Edgy.

Firefly218

thumb up

Bryan Cranston gave the most brilliant performances in the history of cinema and television on Breaking Bad. No competition, Cranston ftw

jaden101
Eggy.

quanchi112
Matthew M. Not even close.

Firefly218
Originally posted by quanchi112
Matthew M. Not even close.

How can you say that after watching Breaking Bad? On top of that you say "not even close". Gtfo because you just lost all credibility

jaden101
He's a better character. But it's not a better performance.

I wouldn't expect you to comprehend the difference though.

Firefly218

You responding to me?

jaden101
No. I was writing while you posted.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Firefly218
How can you say that after watching Breaking Bad? On top of that you say "not even close". Gtfo because you just lost all credibility Breaking bad was a great show I liked True Detective more. I also think Matt's a better actor than Cranston. He obviously is. Cranston isn't as good as Matt. Just the way it is. There is a reason Matt's an A-list Hollywood actor and Cranston's a former Malcolm in the Middle dad.

Firefly218
Breaking bad was a great show I liked True Detective more. I also think Matt's a better actor than Cranston. He obviously is. Cranston isn't as good as Matt. Just the way it is. There is a reason Matt's an A-list Hollywood actor and Cranston's a former Malcolm in the Middle dad.

This thread is about who gave the better acting performance in their respective TV show, not about who has the better resume.

Cranston's performance in Breaking Bad is unmatched brilliance.

Your only reasoning for Matt being better is the fact that he's A-list actor? Bruce Willis is am A-list actor, and so were Nicholas Cage and Adam Sandler. Are they better than Cranston? McConaughey is a really great actor, but in terms of talent, Cranston is better IMO.

Silent Master

He understands but he loves the Van Zan character and that was played by Matt; Thus he'll never say that Matt loses in anything.

BruceSkywalker
as someone who has actually watched true detective (which was an amazing show and looking forward to season 2) and has watched breaking bad i can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that Cranston kicks ass

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Silent Master
He understands but he loves the Van Zan character and that was played by Matt; Thus he'll never say that Matt loses in anything.

This isn't trolling huh, calling the kettle black.

Silent Master
Feel free to ask jaden101 if he feels like I was trolling him.

Time Immemorial
Feel free to ask jaden101 if he feels like I was trolling him.

You were trolling don't be cute. Hypocrite.

Silent Master
Are you done trying to derail the thread?

Time Immemorial
Are you done trying to derail the thread?

quanchi112
This thread is about who gave the better acting performance in their respective TV show, not about who has the better resume.

Cranston's performance in Breaking Bad is unmatched brilliance.

Your only reasoning for Matt being better is the fact that he's A-list actor? Bruce Willis is am A-list actor, and so were Nicholas Cage and Adam Sandler. Are they better than Cranston? McConaughey is a really great actor, but in terms of talent, Cranston is better IMO. You acted like this is a no brainer it isn't. I told you that Matt is the superior actor obviously so logically Matt's exceptional acting is greater than the dentist from Seinfeld's.

Cranston was great but Matt was far greater.

In terms of success those actors are far more successful than Bryan. Bryan just isn't up to Matt's par. Matt's role was far better whereas Cranston went through the same cyclical emotions throughout the series. The writing was more exceptional than Cranston's acting IMO.

quanchi112
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
as someone who has actually watched true detective (which was an amazing show and looking forward to season 2) and has watched breaking bad i can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that Cranston kicks ass You can't argue as to why just the same unsupported stances over and over again. Also caps lock. For the love of all that is good and holy.

Firefly218
You acted like this is a no brainer it isn't. I told you that Matt is the superior actor obviously so logically Matt's exceptional acting is greater than the dentist from Seinfeld's.

Cranston was great but Matt was far greater.

In terms of success those actors are far more successful than Bryan. Bryan just isn't up to Matt's par. Matt's role was far better whereas Cranston went through the same cyclical emotions throughout the series. The writing was more exceptional than Cranston's acting IMO.

This isn't about who's the best actor anyways, it's about who gave the better performance in Breaking Bad versus True Detective. Emmy for leading actor in drama show 3 years in a row, most people would agree Cranston was outstanding beyond any comparison

quanchi112
This isn't about who's the best actor anyways, it's about who gave the better performance in Breaking Bad versus True Detective. Emmy for leading actor in drama show 3 years in a row, most people would agree Cranston was outstanding beyond any comparison And I said Matt by far. Cranston went through the same gamut of emotional cycles during the five seasons. Matt is a far better actor and this role was better as well.

Impediment
Moved to the MDF.

Firefly218
And I said Matt by far. Cranston went through the same gamut of emotional cycles during the five seasons. Matt is a far better actor and this role was better as well.

Once again, this isn't about who's the better actor or who had the better role. This is about who gave the better performance in their respective role.

most people would agree Cranston was outstanding beyond any comparison

Firefly218
Even the poll agrees with me

BruceSkywalker
Once again, this isn't about who's the better actor or who had the better role. This is about who gave the better performance in their respective role.

I wouldn't worry , Quan has no type of reading comprehension skills..

which is why i didn't even respond back to him

jaden101
MM is undoubtedly a tremendous actor and it never ceases to amaze me why he wasted almost a decade of his career on shitty romantic comedies and other mediocre films. Almost everything from 1997 to 2008 was crap or average. Yet in the last few years he's done Mud, Dallas Buyer's Club, True Detective, The Wolf of Wall Street (his small role was still great) and now Interstellar.

None of this changes the fact that his performance in True Detective, while great and was a great character, pails in comparison to the range and complexity of Cranston.

Cranston may unfortunately be one of those actors that is defined by one brilliant role in a career of relatively unexceptional ones. Edward Norton has suffered much the same thing. He was utterly brilliant in American History X and was good in 25th Hour and Eight Club but hasn't done anything else of note.

James Gandolfini only really had Tony Soprano but was born for that role.

But like I said, none of this matters. Performance wise Cranston's in Breaking Bad was better than Matthew McConaughey's in True Detective. Although I still prefer Rust Cole as a character to Walter White.

quanchi112
Once again, this isn't about who's the better actor or who had the better role. This is about who gave the better performance in their respective role. His acting performance was superior as well. Matt M. Is his superior. Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I wouldn't worry , Quan has no type of reading comprehension skills..

which is why i didn't even respond back to him Caps. Quit being simple.

Firefly218
His acting performance was superior as well. Matt M. Is his superior. Caps. Quit being simple.

I don't really care what you think. Fact is, Cranston gave one of the greatest performances in history of television as Walter White. MM is a great actor as well, no disrespect.

And 3 Emmys in a row b!tch

quanchi112
I don't really care what you think. Fact is, Cranston gave one of the greatest performances in history of television as Walter White. MM is a great actor as well, no disrespect.

And 3 Emmys in a row b!tch That is fine. I didn't say he wasn't great in the role. I just said Matt was better.

Also superior resume, performances, athleticism, etc.

playa1258
Matt did all of those lame movies to spend more time with his family. He took easy roles and easy money for a while until his family grew up a little and now he is back. He was always outstanding and he has proved it once and for all.

Epicurus
Cranston's performance was better, McConaughey's character was better.

Also, lol McConaughey having 0 votes. One would expect quanchi to at least vote for the actor he likes more, in a poll he himself made.laughing out loud

Stellatyler

True detective performance or Breaking Bad.
I think the scene where Walt is on the telephone to Skylar and he knows the police are listening in and is making out he is undermining her, at the same time attempting to not breakdown with a specific end goal to get her free as a bird for her association in Walt's illicit exercises. Not many exhibitions verge on depicting that numerous distinctive feelings, intricacy and run in one scene. The excursion Walt's character happened from being a great man doing an awful thing for selfless reasons and plummeting into being a terrible man doing an awful thing for childish reasons was splendidly done.

Epicurus
Originally posted by Stellatyler
I think the scene where Walt is on the telephone to Skylar and he knows the police are listening in and is making out he is undermining her, at the same time attempting to not breakdown with a specific end goal to get her free as a bird for her association in Walt's illicit exercises. Not many exhibitions verge on depicting that numerous distinctive feelings, intricacy and run in one scene. The excursion Walt's character happened from being a great man doing an awful thing for selfless reasons and plummeting into being a terrible man doing an awful thing for childish reasons was splendidly done.
Jaden?

jaden101
Slightly creepy that eh?

quanchi112
Originally posted by Epicurus
Cranston's performance was better, McConaughey's character was better.

Also, lol McConaughey having 0 votes. One would expect quanchi to at least vote for the actor he likes more, in a poll he himself made.laughing out loud 2 votes. Calm down, nerd.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Stellatyler
I think the scene where Walt is on the telephone to Skylar and he knows the police are listening in and is making out he is undermining her, at the same time attempting to not breakdown with a specific end goal to get her free as a bird for her association in Walt's illicit exercises. Not many exhibitions verge on depicting that numerous distinctive feelings, intricacy and run in one scene. The excursion Walt's character happened from being a great man doing an awful thing for selfless reasons and plummeting into being a terrible man doing an awful thing for childish reasons was splendidly done. It was splendidly done it just wasn't as well done as Matt's acting performance.

ares834
Just watched True Detective. Amazing show. Anyway, perhaps I'm riding off the high of the show but I think McConaughey gave the better performance. As a huge fan of Breaking Bad that came as a shock to me.

quanchi112
The winner will be decided very soon.

quanchi112
They definitely got this wrong.

Firefly218
They definitely got this wrong. Nope. Got it right.

quanchi112
Nope. Got it right. This is a modern day tragedy.

NemeBro
Worse than the Holocaust.

quanchi112
Originally posted by NemeBro
Worse than the Holocaust. I probably won't ever be the same.

playa1258
BB ending helped it a lot.

quanchi112
Originally posted by playa1258
BB ending helped it a lot. I hope Matt kicks his ass. That is his damn award.

playa1258
Not only did Matt lose but so did Dinklage. Both were robbed.

Robtard
Cranston deserved it for his performance as Walt; that's no shame on McConaughey's performance though in TD, which was brilliant acting as well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.