Most powerful elf?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ungoliant
Which elf was the most powerful in Middle-Earth?

Also, who was the strongest/most powerful elf from this list:
Fingolfin
Ecthelion
Glorfindel
Gil-Galad
Galadriel
Elrond

Stealth Moose
Feanor or Gingolfin, followed by Galadriel, Elrond, Glorfindel, and Gil-Galad. Glorfindel might be higher; hard to say. Ecthelion is the lowest here.

Ungoliant
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Feanor or Gingolfin, followed by Galadriel, Elrond, Glorfindel, and Gil-Galad. Glorfindel might be higher; hard to say. Ecthelion is the lowest here.

Wow, I expected to see Ecthelion on top of it. Killing Gothmog isn't that easy.

Also, Elrond is stronger than Glorfindel and Gil-Galad?

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Ungoliant
Wow, I expected to see Ecthelion on top of it. Killing Gothmog isn't that easy.

Also, Elrond is stronger than Glorfindel and Gil-Galad?

Gothmog died to a charge attack with a helmet. That's not a show of superior strength. Ecthelion was a badass, but he wasn't a top-tier elf, which is why he was guarding a gate.

Elrond might be stronger than either. He is part Maiar, had a Ring of Power, and did well during the first war with Sauron. Gil-Galad outranked him, and may have been more powerful while he was alive, but the longer-lived Elrond with his part-angelic bloodline likely surpassed him. Glorfindel was bordering on Maiar-levels of power after his rebirth, so he could be stronger, or a peer, but the power levels are rather nebulous.

Ungoliant
Gothmog died to a charge attack with a helmet. That's not a show of superior strength. Ecthelion was a badass, but he wasn't a top-tier elf, which is why he was guarding a gate.

Elrond might be stronger than either. He is part Maiar, had a Ring of Power, and did well during the first war with Sauron. Gil-Galad outranked him, and may have been more powerful while he was alive, but the longer-lived Elrond with his part-angelic bloodline likely surpassed him. Glorfindel was bordering on Maiar-levels of power after his rebirth, so he could be stronger, or a peer, but the power levels are rather nebulous.
I know Ecthelion killed Gothmog with his helmet, but it's not that he immediately did that move. He did fight with Gothmog, which is pretty awesome.

Didn't Gil-Galad give the ring to Elrond?

Stealth Moose
Gil-Galad might have, I think so.

Also, Gothmog hasn't killed anyone in the mythos without an unknown number of Balrogs with him, so we can't accurately measure his strength.

NemeBro
If we're allowing part Maia, then the answer is Luthien.

Can she beat Feanor or Fingolfin in a sword fight? No.

But she ****ing knocked out Morgoth with her enchantment. She is easily one of the most magically powerful characters in the setting, probably only under Sauron (As well as some other top-tier Maia probably) and the Valar.

Ungoliant
Originally posted by NemeBro
If we're allowing part Maia, then the answer is Luthien.

Can she beat Feanor or Fingolfin in a sword fight? No.

But she ****ing knocked out Morgoth with her enchantment. She is easily one of the most magically powerful characters in the setting, probably only under Sauron (As well as some other top-tier Maia probably) and the Valar.

So in terms of power, Luthien is probably the most powerful elf in Middle-Earth. But who's the strongest in terms of combat skills?
I would say Fingolfin.

Ungoliant

Stealth Moose

Ungoliant
.... with an unknown number of balrogs helping him. And Feanor even then gave them a challenge.

In my profile I have the Silmarillion passage on his death versus Fingolfin's.

All I know is that he(Gothmog) gave the killing blow. Feanor could never fight off more than one Balrog. They're too powerful

Stealth Moose
Then how did he make Gothmog and co. work hard for it if they are individually too powerful?

Ungoliant
Then how did he make Gothmog and co. work hard for it if they are individually too powerful?
In The Silmarillion it says "Long he fought on, and undismayed, though he was wrapped in fire and wounded with many wounds; but at the last he was smitten to the ground by Gothmog..."
The number of Balrogs is never mentioned in this passage, so we don't know how many did fight against Feanor.
Why Gothmog and co. worked hard for it? They were fighting against Feanor, that explains much.

Salthasha
Legolas is the most powerful, he was art in motion and like Jack Blacks hobbit he was a prince in more ways then one... and all the ladies say yeaaaahhh. Only argument that matters.

Ungoliant
Originally posted by Salthasha
Legolas is the most powerful, he was art in motion and like Jack Blacks hobbit he was a prince in more ways then one... and all the ladies say yeaaaahhh. Only argument that matters.
Trust me, the elves above are way stronger than Legolas. Peter Jackson made Legolas look like he was a god, which he wasn't. In the books, he doesn't do really much like he does in the movies.

Kosmos Supreme
Even based on the Movies he wasn't as insane as those mentioned

BeyonderGod
I'm not sure but Ungoliant has the best lost so FAR right now.

Jmanghan
Fingolfin had the balls to take on Morgoth, who is at least 10x more powerful then Sauron.

Kaldin

Kaldin

JassiRnb

KuRuPT Thanosi

Incorrect. Etchelion has a greater feat that Elrond, Glorfindel and Gil-Galad. It's not even close between them. Galadriel.. that's close. Feanor is obviously the best so I won't argue that one.

ares834
How is it close? Tolkien has explicitly stated that Feanor and Galadriel are the two greatest of the Eldar (excluding Luthien of course).

KuRuPT Thanosi
What's her greatest feat IYO?

ares834
Well, like many of the Elven Kings an Queens she pretty much just sits on her ass most of the time. I guess she may have destroyed Dol Guldur on her own though that isn't my interpretation of the passage.

KuRuPT Thanosi
I agree with you there, which is my point. Ecth defeating Gothmog is superior to anything Galadriel was ever shown doing.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
I agree with you there, which is my point. Ecth defeating Gothmog is superior to anything Galadriel was ever shown doing.

Ecthelion charged Gothmog and ran him into a fountain, dying in the process. To compare, Gimli could do this. Or Pippin.

Galadriel threw down the gates of Dol Guldur using her own powers. Ecthelion could not replicate this. He did not have a Ring of Power. He was not a near-First Born elf with thousands of years of experience under his belt.

If Ecthelion challenged Galadriel to a test of who could charge their helmets into a wall, he might win. If he challenged her with full measure of her power, he'd likely be squished like a gnat.

t0sh
Probably Legolas.

UCanShootMyNova
Galadriel.

Prof. T.C McAbe
The best fighter was Fingolfin, without a doubt. The most powerful Elf (without Maiar blood) is Ingwe.

Josh_Alexander
The most powerful of all elves is Ingwe.

He is the herald of the Valar and leader of the armies of Valinor if am not mistaken.

His knowledge, power and wisdom made him close to Manwe.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.